• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Been reading a lot on Wikipedia about us politics just now and saw Someone edited that Obama died on Nov 11th. Should I report that somehow or will that iron itself out? MrFib edited that

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Hurd was like "what he did was inappropriate but he shouldn't be impeached" so I guess he's free to continuously pressure countries into investigating conspiracies on opponents until he wins 2020?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Hurd was like "what he did was inappropriate but he shouldn't be impeached" so I guess he's free to continuously pressure countries into investigating conspiracies on opponents until he wins 2020?

Hurd is a cowardly and complicit piece of shit. He shouldn't be allowed to have a peaceful meal in public after he fucks off out of Congress

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, during yesterday's hearings, when the GOPs kept saying Trump was chosen by the people, all I could think was "He was chosen by the electoral college, the people chose Hillary."
Man the way the United States elects their president needs a complete redo, you were all screwed big time in 2016 by the electoral college and are in danger of getting screwed over again. I would REALLY HATE seing the orange turd getting re-elected.

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Man the way the United States elects their president needs a complete redo, you were all screwed big time in 2016 by the electoral college and are in danger of getting screwed over again. I would REALLY HATE seing the orange turd getting re-elected.

If not for the electoral college, it's possible the Republicans wouldn't have won a presidency in the last 30 years. It needs to go.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Schiff to the entire world:

giphy.gif
I love Schiff - guy is the real deal.

These hearings made me realize why Trump always so insecure about Schiff.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
We were screwed in 2000 as well when Bush "beat" Gore by -543k votes.

Yup, it was 500K in the 2000's and 3 million in 2016. Some are saying there are scenarios where it's 5 million and we still lose in 2020. So long as people cluster in cities, the electoral college is fundamentally flawed. The senate is also completely undemocratic.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't just the electoral college, it's basically all the "protect the small state" initiatives that are built into the constitution. The founding fathers wanted to avoid the tyranny of the majority, but they never anticipated that those "small states" might eventually outnumber the more populous ones to the point that the country could end up with a tyranny of the minority.

Having a relatively ancient constitution is something that a large number of Americans seem to take pride in, but we can clearly see it isn't holding up in the modern era. The founding fathers weren't divinely inspired, regardless of what some might think.

Last edited:

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In what world has what you seen of an already extremely partisan issue made you think republicans would second guess themselves??? There is no bigger wedge issue. Everyone has put up enough cover to hold shield their members and many already said NOTHING would change their mind going into the hearings.

This issue was only pushed because he was caught red handed and that forced Dems to respond. Impeached but nowhere close to being convicted was always the outcome, who cares how we get to that when its has been all but guaranteed.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
dems will move to impeach, cnn says. i know it's a formality but it's happening. vote in december

senate trial in january

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Man, I hope Schiff has presidential aspirations. Getting old school vibes from his speeches that remind me of a time when presidents were incredible orators.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I want to see the Orange turd impeached as much as anyone, but the Hunter Biden situation isn't a good look and in my opinion would warrant an official investigation by American agencies.

That's not Republican brainwashing doing its part, it very much looks that bad from an outsiders perspective and the conclusions pretty much draw themselves, which is the only way these Republican dipshits could come to any conclusions at all.

People make jokes about buttery males, Ben Gazi and they will joke about the Burisma thing in due time, but I think these are situations that can be avoided by the Democrats by better vetting and preparing their presidential candidates. These are high profile mistakes that keep happening to high profile candidates. If a candidate brings such shitty baggage with them, maybe don't go all in on that candidate.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I want to see the Orange turd impeached as much as anyone, but the Hunter Biden situation isn't a good look and in my opinion would warrant an official investigation by American agencies.

That's not Republican brainwashing doing its part, it very much looks that bad from an outsiders perspective and the conclusions pretty much draw themselves, which is the only way these Republican dipshits could come to any conclusions at all.

People make jokes about buttery males, Ben Gazi and they will joke about the Burisma thing in due time, but I think these are situations that can be avoided by the Democrats by better vetting and preparing their presidential candidates. These are high profile mistakes that keep happening to high profile candidates. If a candidate brings such shitty baggage with them, maybe don't go all in on that candidate.

I disagree, but even if that's true. Fine. Investigate Biden AND impeach Trump. Someone being wrong doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with the country.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
So is that it for testimonies? Aren't there a few people with even closer ties to all this waiting for a court to decide a lawsuit over whether or not they can testify? Will they still be able to have them testify if the court decides?

As overwhelming as the evidence already is to anyone sane, it's surely not enough to get a conviction out of the Republicans.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
After so many years of listening to Trump flap his gums like a 5 year old, it was so nice to hear someone with passion and intelligence speak on behalf of America again.

First time I recall being moved and inspired by anyone in this government since Obama was in office.

As overwhelming as the evidence already is to anyone sane, it's surely not enough to get a conviction out of the Republicans.

Let's be real, they won't flip on Trump no matter how much evidence is presented.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hope Schiff has presidential aspirations. Getting old school vibes from his speeches that remind me of a time when presidents were incredible orators.

I think Schiff is very centrist/moderate for a Dem. IIRC he would be to the right of every presidential candidate in the debate last night except Gabbard.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

There's a big difference between going through the proper channels and withholding Congressional approved funds to a war torn country to blackmail them for your own personal needs by using your scummy lawyer to do so.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere

Sure, fine, no problem, but not in conjunction with the impeachment hearings. It's irrelevant to them. Just because a Biden may have done something wrong doesn't mean Trump didn't.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Schiff is very centrist/moderate for a Dem. IIRC he would be to the right of every presidential candidate in the debate last night except Gabbard.

I think I just yearn for decent people. I want change in our country, but I also just wish we had human beings who believed in our country over party. I hate what we've become.

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't just the electoral college, it's basically all the "protect the small state" initiatives that are built into the constitution. The founding fathers wanted to avoid the tyranny of the majority, but they never anticipated that those "small states" might eventually outnumber the more populous ones to the point that the country could end up with a tyranny of the minority.

Having a relatively ancient constitution is something that a large number of Americans seem to take pride in, but we can clearly see it isn't holding up in the modern era. The founding fathers weren't divinely inspired, regardless of what some might think.
This is an incredibly important point to make. I wish this post could be stickied on all conservative web forums and comment sections.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't matter if Hunter Biden murdered someone in Ukraine. The point is that Trump abused his position and instigated foreign interference in the upcoming US election by withholding aid that was critical for national security interests.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I could not stop laughing at how none of the republicans had questions for hill. They wanted none of that smoke. Used their time to lecture with some false narrative. Dicks

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with you but I think a lot of people are yearning for a time when their president is someone who can speak in complete sentences. Yearn for a time where they don't wake up feeling a mix of embarrassment, anxiety, and frustration because of the people in the White House.

Oct 29, 2017

Hunter Biden can be investigated, sure. It doesn't distract from the impeachment hearings though, and the GOP is attempting to do just that.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Then launch a US investigation, fine, without blackmailing a foreign president into doing it for you. That's the point of this whole thing. The problem isn't the investigation itself, it's how Trump used it as leverage for his personal political gain.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah of course Trump needs to be impeached and he went about it in the most idiotic fashion possible but I keep thinking in the back of my head how shitty the Hunter Biden thing looks and has looked since 2014. Dude even looks like Don Jr. for fucks sake.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Yeah of course Trump needs to be impeached and he went about it in the most idiotic fashion possible but I keep thinking in the back of my head how shitty the Hunter Biden thing looks and has looked since 2014. Dude even looks like Don Jr. for fucks sake.

Okay, so we drag his ass in after the impeachment process is over. It MUST not interfere. It's not a part of the issue at hand, not at all.

In fact, I support dragging Biden and his son in front of the House because Biden needs to be brought down several pegs. He's a terrible candidate.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

There's no evidence either Biden did anything wrong. An investigation is not warranted.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So what's the next step? A vote? When can we expect that?
The Intel committee brings a report to the House Judiciary committee. Then articles of impeachment get drafted and voted on by the latter. Finally, there is a floor vote on what passes.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, so we drag his ass in after the impeachment process is over. It MUST not interfere. It's not a part of the issue at hand, not at all.

In fact, I support dragging Biden and his son in front of the House because Biden needs to be brought down several pegs. He's a terrible candidate.

That's the thing. Biden's been driving with a corpse stuck to his windshield since 2014 and somehow the DNC goes "that's our guy, what could possibly go wrong?"

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Then launch a US investigation, fine, without blackmailing a foreign president into doing it for you. That's the point of this whole thing. The problem isn't the investigation itself, it's how Trump used it as leverage for his personal political gain.
Yeah, I mean Trump obviously didn't want to launch a US led investigation, because it's a bad look, that's why he wanted Ukraine to do it.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, it's established Ukraine just needed to announce an investigation, not actually investigate.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Okay so I just caught up on today's stuff.

1. Jim Jordan berated the hell out of Holmes. How the hell is that not punishable? There's really no function in a house hearing for the Chairman to shut him up when it's obvious he's just interrupting to stop the witness from incriminating his side?

2. Why is Jordan insisting that Taylor didn't mention Holmes' call? He mentioned it SEVERAL times and even directly mentioned Holmes' closed deposition! Is his insistence that Taylor didn't mention it in his OWN deposition in closed testimony? He wasn't informed of it until after the deposition...

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

The Constitution's great strength, supposedly, is its ability to be modified as needed. But that "great strength" of built-in flexibility for the future has been completely undermined by a party realizing they can abuse those outdated parts for their own benefit, at the expense of the majority, as long as they block any proposed change. Constitutional amendments were once considered difficult. Now they are effectively impossible.

The Constitution's "protect the small states" design worked fine at the time, when states' identities were seen as being as important (or almost) as the nation on the whole, and the disparity in population was tiny compared to now. Now, protecting small states comes at the cost of many millions of people being severely underrepresented, and their votes being valued far less than others'.