• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
So like, I remember during the general election 2016, it was bandied about that Trump thinks he can run the government like one of his trashy companies, and just fire people willy-nilly and give direct orders to whomever without having to consider conflicting interests. And he told all his supporters, whether explicitly or not, that he could.

And on the other side, we said that he would have no success and find out that that's not how government works. We touted things like political experience and being able to build coalitions and stuff like that.

I guess we were wrong and he was right.

Sure, we could point to reasons like the "hypocrisy" of GOP members or whatever, but all that just disguises the point: we have a fundamental misconception of how the world works and how our constitution works. I think that should really affect our future political strategies, and trying to "get back to normal" is a fool's errand. I don't know exactly how it should affect it -- I feel like that's a job for people with data or at least with political visions and aspirations -- but it's something to keep in mind.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So like, I remember during the general election 2016, it was bandied about that Trump thinks he can run the government like one of his trashy companies, and just fire people willy-nilly and give direct orders to whomever without having to consider conflicting interests. And he told all his supporters, whether explicitly or not, that he could.

And on the other side, we said that he would have no success and find out that that's not how government works. We touted things like political experience and being able to build coalitions and stuff like that.

I guess we were wrong and he was right.

Sure, we could point to reasons like the "hypocrisy" of GOP members or whatever, but all that just disguises the point: we have a fundamental misconception of how the world works and how our constitution works. I think that should really affect our future political strategies, and trying to "get back to normal" is a fool's errand. I don't know exactly how it should affect it -- I feel like that's a job for people with data or at least with political visions and aspirations -- but it's something to keep in mind.
It did work that way for a couple of years, but basically once Barr came in, then all bets were off. Trump wore down our institutions until they bent to his whims and he slowly replaced enough positions with yes men. Remember, this is the guy who couldn't get anybody to fire Yovanovich for months. But yes. It's frightening.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017

Senator Sherrod Brown basically confirms what I basically suspected - the majority of the GOP senate are really just cowards who know Trump did the wrong thing and was guilty, but are too terrified of his base to defy him.

Or, as Ted Cruz said:
"Out of 100 senators, zero believe you on the argument there is no quid pro quo," Cruz said he told the defense counsel. "Stop making it."
Source.

Also, lol @ some of the posts at the top of this page talking about how they'd wait a few weeks before kicking Vindman out. Not even being subtle, giving him, his brother and Sondland the axe on the same fucking day.

Oh, and Junior had this to chime in with:

Allow me a moment to thank—and this may be a bit of a surprise—Adam Schiff. Were it not for his crack investigation skills, @realDonaldTrump might have had a tougher time unearthing who all needed to be fired. Thanks, Adam! 🤣 #FullOfSchiff

And the Republican electorate continues to cheer and support them. Deplorable is too kind a word.