• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Sigh....just now seeing and found out about this. Why wasn't this planned in advance more?

And I'll be fine if Democrats at least TRY to start the impeachment process, whether it's closer to the election or not. Any democratic politician who doesn't support impeachment will never get any vote of mine. Especially after Trump basically flipped off America during that Stephanapolus interview on ABC.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nancy Pelosi apparently thinks that Trump will be arrested after leaving office. clearly we should be pursuing that instead of impeachment

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not working today, why not at least check out a local march if there is one nearby? If there's only ten people there you can report back and say I told you so. If there's a thousand, you can contribute. Either way you win.
I don't have unlimited free time. I got stuff to do, if this was planned better I could have made arrangements a week in advance or something.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This line of thinking needs to stop already, yeah.

For crying out loud, the debates haven't even started yet.

You're all going to spend the entire next year telling everyone that'll listen why Biden is garbage, and you'll be helped when the online hate machines and Russian troll farms go into overdrive by showcasing all those questionable pics of Biden and women, not to mention the stories brought up as recently as this year about his antics.

Then, if he wins the nom, you're going to turn around and tell everyone to vote Biden anyway?

It's going to be a disaster.

I'm actually hoping someone other than Biden takes the lead now.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
You're all going to spend the entire next year telling everyone that'll listen why Biden is garbage, and you'll be helped when the online hate machines and Russian troll farms go into overdrive by showcasing all those questionable pics of Biden and women, not to mention the stories brought up as recently as this year about his antics.

Then, if he wins the nom, you're going to turn around and tell everyone to vote Biden anyway?

It's going to be a disaster.

I'm actually hoping someone other than Biden takes the lead now.

I'm hoping Biden isn't the nom as well, that's why I said the debates haven't even started yet.

But even if he is, Trump's win still isn't guaranteed. Even with all that Russian shit, he still only barely won in three states that clinched his victory. It wasn't anywhere near a landslide.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Impeaching Trump would at the very least stop him from running in the next election but democrats seem dead set on losing to Trump again.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping Biden isn't the nom as well, that's why I said the debates haven't even started yet.

But even if he is, Trump's win still isn't guaranteed. Even with all that Russian shit, he still only barely won in three states that clinched his victory. It wasn't anywhere near a landslide.

His approval ratings have been a near flat line in terms of support, and you're going into an election not being able to rouse people with the fear of what a Trump presidency might look like.

Couple that with the fact most Americans didn't even vote last time, along with apathy that as much as people hate Trump, they just don't feel any negative repercussions and so won't feel compelled to do anything about it by voting.

Add on to that what will likely be a very divided race in 2020 and I can see emotions running high enough that many just refuse to vote for whoever get's the nom because their preferred candidate lost.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting to sway the elections single-handedly.

My point is that black folks are being tired of told that the ONLY thing to do to enforce change is vote, especially when people supposedly in their own camp will break rank because they didn't get their unicorn politician, or when Democrats refuse to address our specific grievances because we don't have a practical choice BUT to vote for them.

I will always vote in the good interests of the country and my own self-preservation. But I don't expect better from allies and I'm tired of being browbeat about voting. I do vote. Next.
Heard. I can't fault you for any of those grievances

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
His approval ratings have been a near flat line in terms of support, and you're going into an election not being able to rouse people with the fear of what a Trump presidency might look like.

Couple that with the fact most Americans didn't even vote last time, along with apathy that as much as people hate Trump, they just don't feel any negative repercussions and so won't feel compelled to do anything about it by voting.

Add on to that what will likely be a very divided race in 2020 and I can see emotions running high enough that many just refuse to vote for whoever get's the nom because their preferred candidate lost.

His approval has been a flatline in the sense of being consistently in the 35-42%

And people voted last time, that is to say, the midterms. We got the same amount of voters as a presidential election then, which is unheard of for a midterm election.

We're goung into this one with a ton of people already pissed off at Trump to want him out of there for what he's done, not what he will do. I think we will get a substantially greater amount of Dem voters this time than we got in 2016.

We still don't know who the nom will be yet, so that's why it's way too early to call anything.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Only if he were convicted of charges placed against him, which I doubt would be the case. Standard impeachment proceeding will not inhibit him from running again.
Interesting.
I'm from Brazil and here if a president is impeached they can't occupy any public position for at least 5 years, obviously more or indefinitely if found guilty of a crime after the impeachement.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Interesting.
I'm from Brazil and here if a president is impeached they can't occupy any public position for at least 5 years, obviously more or indefinitely if found guilty of a crime after the impeachement.

You're conflating impeachment with "removal from office". The process in the US is two-fold; the house impeaches, the senate convicts. If the conviction sticks, Trump's kicked out of the government and Pence takes over. He'd also lose his diplomatic immunity, leaving prosecutors to start throwing the book at him. But the Senate is controlled by Trump's party, so all impeachment does at this point is a symbolic sign of disapproval. There's no practical effects.

Oct 27, 2017
You're conflating impeachment with "removal from office". The process in the US is two-fold; the house impeaches, the senate convicts. If the conviction sticks, Trump's kicked out of the government and Pence takes over. He'd also lose his diplomatic immunity, leaving prosecutors to start throwing the book at him. But the Senate is controlled by Trump's party, so all impeachment does at this point is a symbolic sign of disapproval. There's no practical effects.

I just want to point out that technically, he could run again if he were convicted and removed from office. There is nothing that prevents a removed President from running again as long as they haven't already served two terms.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is not going to happen, you guys seem to not realize just have deeply rooted these issues are, Donald Trump is a problem, not the problem, and removing him would create more instability than would be considered desirable.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's happening NOOOOW. When he is already on his way out?

But I guess it's not about the point, it's about sending a message.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I get it but you cant go into next election with this mentality, thats how she lost. People thought this would be a wash for hilary so lots of people didnt even bother going to vote.
There's a difference between logically understanding the annoying, privileged fracturing that goes on with white liberals and still voting anyway because you have a basic survival instinct and also don't want to be culpable for the likelihood of minority suffering that inevitably happens with conservative victories, and cutting your own nose off because you're too up your own ass to understand that elections have consequences regardless of whether or not you get everything you want and thus not voting (or voting third party. Kids may be in internment camps, but the real election was the "principles" we held onto along the way.)

I don't stay home. But I grit my teeth because "my side" just can't get it the fuck together and out-vote these miserable, vindictive dinosaurs. And then half the time they have the nerve to blame the black vote anyway. Ungrateful assholes.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018

I think they'll probably come out and vote for. They'll make sure everyone within a 10 mile radius knows they're "holding their nose" while doing it though, and then wonder why he didn't get much support in Swing-State-X that actually matters in the election.

The-Demon

Alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
There's a difference between logically understanding the annoying, privileged fracturing that goes on with white liberals and still voting anyway because you have a basic survival instinct and also don't want to be culpable for the likelihood of minority suffering that inevitably happens with conservative victories, and cutting your own nose off because you're too up your own ass to understand that elections have consequences regardless of whether or not you get everything you want and thus not voting (or voting third party. Kids may be in internment camps, but the real election was the "principles" we held onto along the way.)

I don't stay home. But I grit my teeth because "my side" just can't get it the fuck together and out-vote these miserable, vindictive dinosaurs. And then half the time they have the nerve to blame the black vote anyway. Ungrateful assholes.
Well i agree with that is that the democrats arent getting their shit together and are complacent and are not getting any new voters so I get the whole "well ive done my part, but team its time to pick it up and pull your own weight etc"

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Trump won't be impeached unless there's massive, non-stop violent riots. And if he does get impeached, there will be massive, non-stop violent riots from the alt right.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And if he does get impeached, there will be massive, non-stop violent riots from the alt right.
No there won't. The alt-right are cowards.

They can't speak openly to their racist, misogynistic principles because they're terrified of the pushback from otherwise normal folks. They thrive on anonymous, social media fuckery and in real life are content to coast on liberal appeals to nonviolence until they meet the right liberal. Then after they wake from unconsciousness (because God forbid these slovenly, non-bathing, socially-awkward examples of the "master race" get some fucking exercise and self-defense training once in while) like Richard Spencer they cower and whimper back to their slimy crevices and try to lay claim to the same victimhood they would otherwise mock in minorities with actual life problems.

They get police protection to avoid being laid out on the pavement by the thousands of people waiting for a reason to grab a neck. Any of the ignorant, gaming fence sitters who- when confronted with the logical implications of their actions or get chased down by the one tired black person they called a nigger- turn into sniveling little boys with heads drooping like whipped dogs, and if they can say anything as the urine dribbles down it's always something like "I'm just joking. I don't mean it."

Spineless children compose the alt-right. These mouth-breathing, simpering, yellow-bellied morons wouldn't last in any real riot. That's why they largely partake in stochastic terrorism online then let one or two crazies do the dirty work. They stand for nothing but misery and petty revenge because they got offended at social science terms. They won't do anything en masse.

Deleted member 10908

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres like 12 people with a banner at bayside in Miami

xdDUpGG.jpg

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Good luck with that. 30+ weeks of Gilets Jaunes demonstrations in France, shit is not very effective

Vote

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I mean, wasn't that literally the best option they had? lol
Wouldn't say that's a great comparison at all.
v9pu40k8az031.png

I'm just joshing you. I was mostly being silly and making a joke, the punchline just essentially being "While passing HR1 might be a decent idea at the moment, it is unquestionably not fixing the problem."

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
so a social media created even crashes down in flames.

after all that has transpired, can't blame people for not trusting social media driven events anymore

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Part of what allowed him to win was folks thinking he couldnt be all that bad. Turns out he was and that fueled Dems in 2018. Anti Trump sentiment is higher than it was in 2016, highlighted by Trump districts swinging back to Dems.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Unfortunately, people were never going to drop everything for this over what has essentially been a seesaw of normalization. We've had many many many months, going on years, of "we got him!" into "Oh wait nevermind" over and over. People get bored, or overwhelmed, moved on. They're not going to organize effectively in less than a week. If the media just left the damn investigation alone until now, maybe there'd have been a shot via pure shock factor. But we, as a country, are just innoculated to Trump's wavering legal status now, and so unfamiliar with the law as it pertains to those in power, that to anyone not following politics closely, this isn't a bombshell. It's just waiting for the other shoe to drop. You really need several weeks of planning for an effective protest given the circumstances, which, well, you didn't get here.

To be clear, I think Trump absolutely should be impeached. It's mostly symbolic, but if we want to put any stock in our so-called democracy not just being an oligarchy, we need to follow the rules so they can't be flaunted later. The rules say, in this current situation, you must impeach. Ergo, if Trump isn't given impeachment proceedings, you set a precedent for not holding corrupt presidents accountable. I absolutely believe we're getting someone far far worse than Trump after whoever is the next president (failing an absolute cultural and educational revolution) and we need to be able to take them down.

That in mind, I don't say lightly that this entire protest was just a bad idea. It was never going to amount to anything given the situation and the time in the oven it was given.