• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God for entertainment.
Lately life has been very cruel and uncertain for me. I found out I had cancer the same day I was fired from the company I worked for. Went through two chemo sessions and stopped because I couldn't afford to do more. Moved in with my parents now and just waiting for a miracle or the end.

Instead of giving in to despair I spend most of my time enjoying my favorite stuff. Playing some PS1 and PS2 story driven RPGs including Chrono Cross which is my favorite game of all time, rewatching my favorite movies and childhood tv shows, browing through ERA and other forums.

All of this stops me from going insane and helps me forget the pain I'm inflicting to my family. Hell I wish I could personally thank everyone involved in creating all these mediums and works of art that help me get through the day, I don't know if I could handle this situation without their help.

Can anyone relate ? Did you go through a time when entertainment was your only solace.

PS: Want to take this opportunity to thank the creators of ERA and every poster here. Believe it or not it had been a great help reading your comments here.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been greatly therapeutic this year. I cannot articulate enough how dearly I needed Lorde's Melodrama this year.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you recover from your cancer OP.

I vibe to music and watch old movies whenever people I know pass away. Keeps me from feeling awful.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
At different times, it has been the saving grace of my life. If not as a means of escape, then as a means of finding something in common/bonding with others who like the same stuff.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I would have gone insane this year without:

Breath Of The Wild
Slowdive
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return
Twin Peaks: The Return
Stranger Things 2
Mario Odyssey
And more!

Just an incredible year for stuff I enjoy.

HylianTom

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I would have gone insane this year without:

Breath Of The Wild
Slowdive
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return
Twin Peaks: The Return
Stranger Things 2
Mario Odyssey
And more!

Just an incredible year for stuff I enjoy.

Yup.

Just when we needed escapism fodder the most, these outlets delivered in major, major ways. Impeccable timing.

I had a cancer diagnosis back in '99 and had to go through several surgeries. My sanity-saver that year was Might & Magic 6.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Post-rock music really helps me to achieve some small semblance of peace, even if just for a moment.

I wish you the best, OP.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
When multiple things in my life were falling apart and I was in depression, Daniel Bryan and Kane's Hell No tag team brought me so much joy. I needed a good laugh and it helped.

Oct 27, 2017
I went through the worst breakup of my life at the beginning of the year. My world was shattered. Music was instrumental in getting me through it. No pun intended.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've found video games to be the most helpful because they actively engage my brain, preventing my mind from wandering and thinking about what's bothering me as often.

Oct 27, 2017
Rainbow six siege
Podcasts
Slowdive
Aphex Twin (more end of last year)
Stranger Things
BOTW
I owe a lot this year to these media's