• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Important Message Regarding Image Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratrosaw

Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
also known as From Tech Team with Love: What's Going On Behind the Scene Vol. 3

Hi! #tech team here. We have an important message about linking images on ResetEra to share with you.

As of this afternoon, many members have reported that their images are not displaying on the page. We have been investigating this problem and came to the conclusion that one of the major image hosting services, imgur.com, has enabled hot link protection on us. In other words, any image on imgur.com linked using HTTPS protocol will not display on ResetEra. It is still possible to use HTTP-based imgur.com image links, though we would like to advise against it as well, as theoretically speaking they could undermine existing security mechanisms on ResetEra. We are contacting imgur.com and trying to find out a solution to this problem now. Meanwhile, you may want to check out other image hosting services, such as abload.de, to host your images. Thanks for your understanding.

Also, we installed and enabled a new image processing engine. Incorrectly displayed GIF files should be working now :)

Let us know if you are still having problems with images.

Yours,
#tech

Allow me to explain it a little bit more.

imgur.com detects hot linking (people linking imgur.com images from other sites) by checking a field, referrer, in every HTTP/HTTPS request you sent. When you visit resetera and come to an image from imgur.com, your browser knows the image is not from resetera.com so it will send a request to imgur.com with the referrer field set to us, so that imgur.com knows it is us who are linking their images. That's how they block it as well. Normally imgur.com would block both HTTP and HTTPS request with a "suspicious" referrer field, but there is a complication here: when you are visiting an HTTPS site with HTTP images, your browser will set the referer policy to "no-referrer-when-downgrade", as a protection against the security pitfalls of rendering HTTP image on a HTTPS page. Consequently in that case imgur.com does not know who is referring to their images and has to display them for us. That's why you can link HTTP imgur.com images but not HTTPS ones.

Hopefully the explanation could be helpful.

#tech team

Last edited:

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
It is really weird that when I'm logged on I can see the image from imgur I poster earlier today but when I try to view it in icognito mode the link seems broken. In any case, I hope this is solved quickly.

What is a good alternative to imgur hosting?
In previous cases where imgur didn't work for me, I just relied on other message boards and sites with commenting features that allowed image uploads, and just privately send it to myself. Kinja, for example. I think even Discord is cool with that. The links always worked flawlessly. I tend not to use other stuff too much since I'm mostly a creature of habit. That said a lot of folks on Hearthpwn use Pasteboard with no problems.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, this is super annoying, though understandably not anyone's fault.

Has there been a response from Imgur on this issue?

Oct 25, 2017
Technically speaking, if your site has hot link protection on we will be blocked as well :(
nah in this case i was just an idiot. my domain isn't accessible from the place i'm in right now giving an illusion of failure. i knew this and yet I still decided to derp in this thread lol

Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I use u.teknik.io.
This seems fantastic. Incredibly simple; no need for an account. Test:

As someone who couldn't figure out abload (possibly because I'm on mobile?), Teknik seems to be exactly what I wanted. Far better than imgur for quick and easy rehosting.

Question: does this image look huge on desktop? Should we still be putting images in quote boxes?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Noticed that right off the bat.

Well that sucks, cause imgur is all I use for picture upload for over 5 years.

The good thing is, this forum started 2 days ago so I can easily reupload everything on abload. Even if I don't like that site, but if it works, everything is good.

Hope that can get fixed.

Edit: Teknik sounds good. But I still would use an account, who knows if they delete pics after some time when you don't use one.

Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I would like to add that abload doesn't compress pictures unlike imgur.
No compression on Teknik either.

Teknik sounds good. But I still would use an account, who knows if they delete pics after some time when you don't use one.
No mention of any deletion in the FAQ or TOS, but you make a good point. Turns out making an account is a breeze, and now I can easily curate my uploads. Awesome recommendation Zero3K

Apologies for asking again, but could someone let me know if the board auto resizes linked images on desktop like it does on mobile, or should I throw a quote box around images like the tester I used?

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Abload.de is great, been using it for 8 years now they also stored most of the stuff I uploaded on my account. Imgur deleted many of my files eventually. Of course it can be a bit complicated if you don't speak German.

Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It shrinks them to fit. Your previous picture was fine.
That is fantastic. I feel like a young boy on Christmas morn who just learned his father's boss had a stress dream which compelled him to gift my impoverished family the plumpest goose in all of London.

Oct 25, 2017
I use u.teknik.io.
Malwarebytes blocks this domain for me :/ get a warning every time I load this page

Edit: Looks like they've had malware stored on their servers before. Saw a thread where the site owner said "I scan my site regularly and it's malware free" and Malwarebytes said "there's malware here hxxps://u.teknik.io/xAIH9.exe" and the teknik owner then removed it. Weird! I'm sure the site is fine but it's odd that he was certain his site was clean and Malwarebytes found malware on his servers straight away when they checked.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imgurl blocked this site because of high traffic, since they have contacted imgurl it should resolve itself in the coming days.
It is standard practice on Imgurl's behalf.

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Man, that's a shame. I like imgur because it's pretty easy to use. Copy from clip/paint, paste on the homepage, done. I can also drag and drop to upload easily. Abload is neat with ther minimum to none compression, but it's still old-fashioned.

Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I use u.teknik.io.
Tried it and can't recommend it. It's not as easy as imgur to get your files ready for a forum, no import from links, no direct img link and i get and error message when i try to upload a picture again that i already uploaded but accidentally encrypted.

Yes, this is one i could use for the future, almost the same features as imgur, very easy to use and you can set it to English if you want to.
Only thing i don't like is that, while you can create img share links for a whole collection at the same time, which is great, same as imgur, every picture will be automatically linked to their website. :/ Seems I have to img them manually then, but I can get the direct link for many pics at the same time without automatic link, just no automatic img tag, that's ok.

Oct 27, 2017

As someone who couldn't figure out abload (possibly because I'm on mobile?), Teknik seems to be exactly what I wanted. Far better than imgur for quick and easy rehosting.

Question: does this image look huge on desktop? Should we still be putting images in quote boxes?
Aske for what it's worth, your image doesn't load for me on mobile.

Oct 25, 2017

Abbload has an app for mobile.

Oct 26, 2017
Might I suggest using something more underground likeMixtape.moe for image uploading? Very easy to use and fast, no need to learn German. Just drag and drop image, copy the link — that’s it. Nothing against Abload, I sometimes use it, but the UI looks like its stuck in 2006.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
What I like about abload is that it has been up for a long time, and looks like it will stay around for a while longer too. Rehosting my images at this point would be incredibly annoying.

(That's also why I have previously donated to abload, and plan to do so again in the future)

Oct 27, 2017
London
I apologise if this is the wrong spot to ask, but is there a page that shows you how to do simple shit? Like mention another user without replying/quoting to their message? Sorry, but I'm new to all of this.

Yeah the large and sudden mass-linking of images on this domain could’ve easily tripped some automated block.
Thats what I thought...also a bit off topic but my avatar is a little smaller then 200x200 and the site says our avatars should be at least 200x200...I guess it means not over 200x200 and not minimum...it displays fine,just want to make sure it's ok.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there irony in that the OPs avatar shows as an "x" for me?
Oh, it's normal. I don't have an avatar set up :)
All users without avatar appear to have an img link to https://www.resetera.com/styles/flat/xenforo/avatars/avatar_male_m.png (possibly there is also a female and an N/A version) which doesn't exist. Simply a zero size file at that location would already be a big improvement, could you look into that?
Edit: Just found the other variants, they are avatar_female_m.png and avatar_m.png indeed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.