Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently this has become a weird sort of shortage of "Impossible" meat based products.

So these "impossible" products were available to most restaurants and as of last week no longer have any stock left to give towards anybody but Burger King. The demand for Impossible burgers nationwide is so great, that the company itself cannot keep up.

We have impossible burgers on our menu, and they have become very popular as well and it was kind of weird to hear from the sales rep "Burger king bought everything we had, and everything we're currently making...we wont be able to sell to anyone besides BK"

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I heard they were adding another shift and a second assembly line to increase production capacity. Did they already do that and STILL can't keep up?

Also, how's the Beyond Beef patty doing business wise? Is it in a similar situation? I haven't had either but I'm interested to try them both.

EDIT: Source on them increasing production, from an article last month
"After we introduced the Impossible Burger 2.0 at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, there was a surge in demand over a short window of time," Brown said. "So we had to scramble to accelerate a bunch of things we already had planned to increase production capacity."

Steps included increasing its 70-employee workforce at its sole manufacturing facility in Oakland, California, where it's currently adding a third shift and building a second production line. In the short term, Brown personally recruited more than 100 volunteers from Impossible's R&D ranks to work 12-hour shifts in production, packing burgers into boxes and manning conveyor belts in 40-degree temperatures.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very good problem to have, they just have to get production capacity to where it needs to be.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish you could get it in Finland, wanna try it so bad.

Oct 28, 2017
Phew, was worried this was an Epic Store type situation. Glad more people are clearly choosing the ethical option

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Been hearing of shortages for a while now.

Rather than completely remove the vegetarian burger option from Ruby's two New York City locations, Sykes replaced Impossible's fake meat with a version from its competitor Beyond Meat. But Ruby's customers weren't into the switch. "A number of people" came to order an Impossible Burger, Sykes says. When informed of the Beyond Meat replacement, they turned around and left.

Damn...

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
makes sense. they're very good. i hope they eventually make a hot dog.

do the BK versions cost $15 as well?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus, I hope they ramp up production soon cause I don't wanna go to fucking Burger King lol

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
The Impossible Burger tastes way better than Beyond burger in my opinion. Beyond Burger tastes just like Boca to me.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also the title needs an update, makes it seem like it'll be exclusive to BK from now on.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I tried one at a hamburger place in the Seattle area called Fatburger. I have to say, I was really impressed. If I didn't know what I ordered, I might not have given the patty a second thought and assumed it was meat.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
just tried beyond last night, it fucking sucks and tastes funky. impossible has a weird texture to it but tastes 1000x better to me, i wonder how much better 2.0 is

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are these burgers made out of?
From the CNBC article I linked above:
In 2009, Brown blended soy protein, potato protein, coconut oil, sunflower oil and bloodlike "heme" to create the Impossible Burger, which looks, feels, smells, cooks and — according to many hardcore meat lovers — tastes like a cow-based patty.
I found this video pretty interesting too.

That heme stuff seems to be the key.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
What are these burgers made out of?
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
If Impossible is better than Beyond I need to try it

Beyond meat burger at A&W Canada was amazing, I'd have thought it was a regular burger if someone just gave it to me without mentioning it

Just sucks that it's so high in sodium

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, my Red Robin had it, and I much preferred it to my Carl's Jr's Beyond Burger.
Now they're out.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
had an impossible whopper the other day. was p good, but not as good as real meat.

i can see this improving though and would probably be fine with it as a burger replacement when that happens

OP
OP
Joe2187

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion im a hardcore meat eater and chef.....

so I was a bit skeptical when we started to sell these, however the taste and texture is very good compared to any other veggie patty on the market and is much more palatable than any I've had.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Only like 5-6 places here offered it and they've all taken it off the menu. Burger King doesn't have it on the menu either.

EDIT; Actually, Burger Kings website doesn't even have it on the menu.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Only like 5-6 places here offered it and they've all taken it off the menu. Burger King doesn't have it on the menu either.

EDIT; Actually, Burger Kings website doesn't even have it on the menu.
It's only in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, St. Louis, and maybe a few other places.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how long this demand will last but I hope it continues. I figure since it's the new fad in the food world people are chomping at the bit to try it but will the demand be sustained is the thing. Fingers crossed.

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
The Impossible Burger tastes way better than Beyond burger in my opinion. Beyond Burger tastes just like Boca to me.
Same here... Tried the beyond meat burger two times now, and while I think that the texture is really nice and meat like, the taste doesn't resemble beef in any way, imo.

I really wanna try the impossible burger. But no way to get one here in Germany.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
This seems a bit ... shortsighted? Do they really want everyone to come to think of their product as something you get as part of a crappy Burger King meal?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This seems a bit ... shortsighted? Do they really want everyone to come to think of their product as something you get as part of a crappy Burger King meal?
Regardless of where Burger King stands on the hierarchy of American culinary institutions, it has broad reach and what they probably want most of all is to normalize meat substitutes, particularly their version of it, and fast food is the best way to ensure you reach a wide an audience as possible.

People on ResetEra might scoff at Burger King but the vast majority of Americans probably wouldn't turn up their nose at it.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Can only hope demand continues to be outrageous. The faster we can replace the lion's share of meat production (and its carbon hit), the better.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Impossible 2.0 is pretty legit.

We were at a restaurant and my coworker ordered a veggie burger she thought she getting the old school veggie patty but an impossible 2.0 came out. We couldn't really tell until we asked the waitress and she confirmed it was impossible. (The beef patties were much thicker)

I had eaten a small piece and couldn't tell 100%. Theyre onto something

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Don't worry, over here in Germany the brand is already licenced exclusively by a premium burger place, making sure it's only being enjoyed by people with money in a few big cities over the country, assuring cows still being killed for everyone elses pleasure.

Disclaimer: I'm not vegetarian yet, just being sarcastic - or realistic.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if they had organic buns, too. Not knowing the ingredients in their bread is why I don't eat at any of these fast food places.
Could do a lettuce burger.
Impossible tastes a lot better, but you can buy Beyond in grocery stores so
Thanks for answering! I'll keep it in mind. Also, you may be able to get em in grocery stores but I've been told the price is still Beyond Be(li)ef

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that Impossible is constantly having supply issues. You would think by this point they'd have it straightened out. If I have a choice, at this point I'll always choose Inpossible over a regular burger.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had my first beyond burger at the weekend in the UK, and it was soooo good.

Last edited: