• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
ideasharequsd8.png

The title hopefully gets the idea across, but more or less:

(A) What are ideas you've dreamed up that could improve the experience in games you play, whether it's about tech, interface, or gameplay systems? The wider-reaching the improvement, the better. Are there likely trade-offs to your idea? Have you seen it attempted before, but never popularized?

Just as importantly, (B) if you see an idea you have a strong reaction to (good or bad), chime in! As always, be polite and constructive, but don't be afraid to spell out why something wouldn't work, or ways it's already used. Hell, if it seems particularly insightful, share it!

___________________________​

So as an example, this came to mind as I was consolidating some install files between drives the other day:

Could you significantly cut down load-times in console games by having parallel/redundant installs on both the internal and external hard drive? I'm making a mental connection with disc mirroring and RAID 1; The idea being you would have access to the full speed of each hard drive, working in tandem to pull different segments of the full data call. The obvious caveat is the cost to the consumer. The way I'm imagining it, it's pretty key that the feature be truly plug-and-play, so you could add or remove that external drive between sessions without causing issues.

OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd remove the lootbox system for any game that has it

For projects that would only get funded if they have some sort of "tail" purchase that isn't discrete DLC, how do you think they could make that mesh with players? Would you rather have more outright free-to-play games (instead of double-dipping on retail+loot crates), or scale back content/assets to make the publisher investment smaller?

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Removing the timers to unlock weapons in MGS V PC via cheat engine was a huge improvement for the game and didn't unbalance the gameplay at all.

OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Removing the timers to unlock weapons in MGS V PC via cheat engine was a huge improvement for the game and didn't unbalance the gameplay at all.

I know why they existed in the past, but I hate mechanics to arbitrarily make a game longer than necessary. I know it's partly a free-time vs expendible income thing, but there are whole genres that are 95% drivel to me because of how they're structured. I almost wish there was just a "yes/no" question at the start of some games related to that.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
For projects that would only get funded if they have some sort of "tail" purchase that isn't discrete DLC, how do you think they could make that mesh with players? Would you rather have more outright free-to-play games (instead of double-dipping on retail+loot crates), or scale back content/assets to make the publisher investment smaller?
the aspect of having to pay money for something that only has a chance of giving you what you want , to me it's no different from gambling and it shouldn't be in games where children have access to

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Souls game, but with an easy mode that
  • adds bonfires before bosses
  • lets you pause if no one is connected to you
  • prevents hostile invasions
  • gives enemies the same collision detection as you do, so their weapons bounce off geometry in the same way as you
  • comes with complementary earplugs that let you safely ignore everyone who can't resist telling you you're playing it wrong, and that the game isn't for you if you want to use it.