• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I got a question for ERA or those planning only on buying a Xbox Series X at launch. Let's say
  • FFXVI
  • GTA VI
  • COD
  • Project Athia
Have a 6-12 month timed exclusivity. Would you force yourself to buy a PS5? Or hold out until the games release to Xbox series X.
Nah, I'd wait for Xbox and to be honest, I'd probably wait for a used copy. Too many games to play to justify the purchase.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, but the majority of them weren't first party, so the point still stands. Don't really know what difference being indie or AAA makes either, beyond how much Microsoft was willing to pony up. They still had CrossFireX and Stalker 2.
CrossfireX is being published on console by Microsoft. Literally half of the 22 games in the show are published by XGS. Stalker is independently developed and published. And yes being Indie does make a difference. Indie games commonly launch on limited platforms at launch to focus development efforts and then port to other platforms at a later date. Indies also seek out deals to help fund the development of their game that may result in timed exclusivity such as Game pass deals.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
i dont really care about whose the winner tbh, I just hate that microsoft and sony think that player base exclusion is the way to win. Its fucking shitty, i dont own stocks in these companies so im not gonna root for them when they suddenly say, "oh now people on x console cant play y game!" Its fucking gross full stop

Must a new to gaming to make this your mole hill to complain about 3rd party exclusive content. Had gamers who have been complaining about this practice for so long had any damn conviction than we wouldn't be here. It's a cutthroat market either compete or complain.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
CrossfireX is being published on console by Microsoft. Literally half of the 22 games in the show are published by XGS. Stalker is independently developed and published. And yes being Indie does make a difference. Indie games commonly launch on limited platforms at launch to focus development efforts and then port to other platforms at a later date. Indies also seek out deals to help fund the development of their game that may result in timed exclusivity such as Game pass deals.

I'm confused, all you've posted is a bunch of semantics. It's still ultimately Microsoft opening up their wallets to secure exclusives for their platforms instead of competitors. That's it. It's the same thing as what Sony is doing with numerous titles, however you want to try and dress it up with mental gymnastics.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how big these deals are and how widespread. I remember last gen rumors were all about Xbox securing exclusives. It'll be interesting to compare the two and how everything shapes out.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I'm confused, all you've posted is a bunch of semantics. It's still ultimately Microsoft opening up their wallets to secure exclusives for their platforms instead of competitors. That's it. It's the same thing as what Sony is doing with numerous titles, however you want to try and dress it up with mental gymnastics.
There is always going to be some nuance.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The end result is the same in that it means certain games may come to another platform later, but they are quite literally two different business practices with different implications.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
What timed exclusives does Sony have so far?

Spelunky 2
Kena
GhostWire
Deathloop

Not a lot of high profile games.

I wouldn't really count the first two, those are indie developed games IIRC and they could just be doing what is easiest for their development budget, I never really expect those types of games to come day and date, it's a bit of a miracle if they do. This is why there was so much blow back for MS and the supposed 'parity clause' the beginning of this generation, it's just not realistic to say an indie dev needs to hit all platforms day and date.

Those other two are from a stupid rich publisher with AAA level development studios working on them, that's high profile IMO.

Also I would add:

Project Athia

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Lot of platform whataboutism in here. Can't we all just agree, as gamers, that it's better when these platforms are investing to build things rather than tear down?

They have to compete. It's a business. I get it. Consumers still have influence. Regardless of what they think is the right business decision, we should push them to be better. That goes across the board. If they're investing to build up studios, that helps the industry and keeps more small businesses healthy. If they're investing to lock down games that were already in development from healthy large companies, that is destructive and nobody wins outside of them and some toxic plastic warriors on Twitter.

If you're consistent on the principals of the matter, you don't have to try these mental gymnastics to defend the platform who's flag you're flying.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird lol but it goes both ways

I would say it was wrong when MS bought Rise of Tomb Raider timed exclusivity and Titanfall lifetime exclusivity, and it is wrong today. I dont think it benefits anyone. I was upset about it back when Tomb Raider happened, and I am not going to pretend everything is fine just because my preferred console is getting an exclusive.

The only time when timed exclusives are ok is when sony or MS jump in to save a game that was going to be cancelled. Like Titanfall which went overbudget and MS stepped in and got themselves a timed exclusive. If FF16 was in a similar position then fine. I dont think CoD or GTA publishers need money, and i dont think they are cancelling the next cod or GTA unlike say Project Athia which was in development hell and SE likely needed Sony or MS to bail them out. Though its always surprising to me why Sony is able to get these bailout deals and not MS who have deeper pockets.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got a question for ERA or those planning only on buying a Xbox Series X at launch. Let's say
  • FFXVI
  • GTA VI
  • COD
  • Project Athia
Have a 6-12 month timed exclusivity. Would you force yourself to buy a PS5? Or hold out until the games release to Xbox series X.
I'm a PC gamer and I went with a PS4 Slim last gen because the Mattrickbox seemed like a bad deal. I have never had a problem waiting for ports to get better visuals (and generally the PC sku markdown + free online). Thinking of going with a Lockhart at the beginning of the gen for a cheap entrypoint into new games, followed down the line by getting a PS5 revision and/or a cheaper comp upgrade.

If it's just down to XSX vs PS5 (Lockhart not releasing for whatever reason), I might go XSX for legacy compatibility and game pass (and I like Xbox's long term vision in general), but Sony's prospective FOMO strategy is starting to work me over there (and I have a nice PS4 digital library anyway). I have to admit I'd probably be more open to getting a PS5 if the prevailing attitude on this forum wasn't such a turnoff. The reverse would probably be true if I hung around timdog circles.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The end result is the same in that it means certain games may come to another platform later, but they are quite literally two different business practices with different implications.

Sorry, how are they two different business practices exactly? They're exactly the same thing. Offering financial or other incentives to ensure said platform has exclusive content/games that the main competitor does not.

Mental gymnastics to defend one or the other can be applied to literally anything if you really want.

Eg....

As Sony supposedly have the licensing rights to Spider-Man in games, if they hadn't money hatted the Avengers Spider-Man DLC, we likely would have never gotten Spider-Man in Avengers, so in a way they did gamers a favour.

As PlayStation already accounts for 79% of all multiplatform Final Fantasy sales, rather than SE waste development time and resources on a version that will be played by so many fewer people, it's good Sony money hatted exclusivity, so SE can focus more time and resources on the game, content creation and polish, instead of on porting.

Now obviously both the above are reaches, but they're just examples of how the same sort of mental gymnastics can be applied to some of Sony's money hats too. The indie excuse directly transfers too. Defending one over the other, or trying to make one side look better than the other, honestly comes off as disingenuous and jaded.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
  • FFXVI
  • GTA VI
  • COD
  • Project Athia

6 month might get me to hold, but 12 months I probably would ensure I have a PS5 nearby. I don't personally have much of a backlog and routinely go weeks without playing a real title despite having gamepass. I've had that for 12 months now and have only played 3 games from it. Xbox's mantra of "play the games you want to play, with the friends you want, where you want" misses out on the critical "when _I_ want".

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only game I would be super pissed about if Sony got timed exclusive would be Monster Hunter World 2.

I just don't see Sony spending the money to grab CoD, GTA etc. Just too much potential money that pubs won't want to leave.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Do people think we will see a response from Microsoft?
Exclusive DLC seems like a given for games they have marketing deal with like Cyberpunk 2077. Probably not anything that can compare to what we'll see from Sony though when it comes to exclusivity on full games. The only point in history where they had as much leverage as it takes to make deals like this possible for a reasonable cost was in the Xbox 360 era when PlayStation was at a visible market disadvantage, and at the turn of last generation when they secured Titanfall from EA before things turned against their favour. The likely alternative is them partnering with renowned independent studios to deliver new IPs like Alan Wake and Sunset Overdrive.

Apr 3, 2018
If it's just down to XSX vs PS5 (Lockhart not releasing for whatever reason), I might go XSX for legacy compatibility and game pass (and I like Xbox's long term vision in general), but Sony's prospective FOMO strategy is starting to work me over there (and I have a nice PS4 digital library anyway).

This is where I'm mostly at. My PS4 was mostly a Bloodborne/GoW box this gen. Everything else I played on Xbox, despite not caring about MS' first-party efforts. I generally agree with Phil's long-term vision, and I greatly prefer the Xbox controller and ecosystem to Sony's offerings. My One X made my PS4 Pro feel like child's toy by comparison, and I truly do loathe Sony's walled-off approach.

That being said, my gaming time is increasingly limited, and I am only going to invest in one next-gen console for the foreseeable future.

My kid loves Spider-Man. His friends all play on PS4. He's nearing the point where playing Lego games with dad isn't enough; he'll want to play online with his buddies (especially since he can't actually be with them) and he's already expressed interest in the Avengers game. He even mentioned he hopes he gets to play as Spider-Man, and the kid has zero concept of exclusivity deals-- he just wants to play as one of his favorite heroes.

Personally, I don't care about COD or GTA, but the timed exclusivity of FF7R sucked, and I suspect there are other SE games that are going to be moneyhatted away (temporarily or permanently). It feels crappy. But for this parent who has more disposable income than free time, this strategy is also starting to work.

JED BARTLETT

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast
Do people think we will see a response from Microsoft?

I actually don't think we will. It doesn't really suit Microsoft to spend money making games exclusive. They're going in a different direction. They'll pick up these games a year later probably on Gamepass to take the sting out of it. Gamepass subscribers will expect any big third party exclusive to be on Gamepass from the get go, and that would no doubt be prohibitively expensive for MS.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, how are they two different business practices exactly? They're exactly the same thing. Offering financial or other incentives to ensure said platform has exclusive content/games that the main competitor does not.

Mental gymnastics to defend one or the other can be applied to literally anything if you really want.

Eg....

As Sony supposedly have the licensing rights to Spider-Man in games, if they hadn't money hatted the Avengers Spider-Man DLC, we likely would have never gotten Spider-Man in Avengers, so in a way they did gamers a favour.

As PlayStation already accounts for 79% of all multiplatform Final Fantasy sales, rather than SE waste development time and resources on a version that will be played by so many fewer people, it's good Sony money hatted exclusivity, so SE can focus more time and resources on the game, content creation and polish, instead of on porting.

Now obviously both the above are reaches, but they're just examples of how the same sort of mental gymnastics can be applied to some of Sony's money hats too. The indie excuse directly transfers too. Defending one over the other, or trying to make one side look better than the other, honestly comes off as disingenuous and jaded.
I'm afraid if there's any mental gymnastics going on it's coming from you. I don't know where you're getting the idea that I'm defending anything. The fact is that paying to keep a peice of content from another platform, for example like Xbox did with Rise of the Tomb Raider, and paying towards the development of a game from an early stage like they did with Cuphead are two very different business deals with very different implications. In the case of Cuphead, from the developer perspective it allowed them to change the scope of the game and grow their team. In both cases it results in the game being exclusive to a certain platform for a period of time, but the trade-offs are worth considering in the Cuphead example from the consumer point of view. Mainly that the game ends up better.

The second example is a deal that is incredibly common with Independent games for obvious reasons like limited funds, and the exposure that's given to their game for being associated with a big platform.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
if sony announces some big games i think MS will have to respond. and phils statements about exclusive dlc/content will have to go out of the window. the only good thing about microsofts deals is they will hopefully come to pc or gamepass/gamepass pc.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They kinda have to at some point. Sony seems to be willing to throw money at whoever will take it. If MS doesn't do something it kinda feels like half the major 3rd party releases will launch 6 months to a year later on Xbox

Half of the major 3rd party releases seems like a stretch. Which major 3rd party games outside ff7 re are confirmed?

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think this is is not as big of an issue as it sounds. It wont be a title that is front page news worthy or game changing at all.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
stepping past the personal attacks....

No they could not "buy every exclusive" and it would be extremely bad business practices to ever try. It only make sense to purchase exclusivity in the case where doing so will bring in more money long term than the deal costs.

To simplify (again for simple math, let's say Sony profits 500/PS5 sold):

If a deal for let's say FF is going to cost them 50 million, then it needs to get 100,000 people who wouldn't have purchased a PS5 without the deal for it to make fiscal sense.

There isn't a large enough potential market for them to "buy every exclusive".
You're moving goal posts..
I quoted you saying that you weren't buying x game cause you're waiting for it to release on Game Pass and I said that is THE reason behind Sony going after the deals in the first place. Why? To avoid.. let's say Final Fantasy being $60 on PS and Free on Xbox situation.

You're saying they're only making deals because they can and they can afford it or it's cheaper for them to do so now. That's not true. It's cheaper for them to keep their 50 million dollars and let nature take its course where most copies would be sold on PlayStation anyways.

Game Pass consists of two platforms and soon to be more where games are going to be essentially free to play and cost money on PS5. To counter this, you would naturally seek deals of your own. And lucky for them they have the power to grab some big titles.

This is the phenomenon we are seeing now.
...and I didn't attack you, sorry if you felt that way.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
Hypothetically, what if the XSX devkit/OS is 'way behind' schedule (as suggested by the lack of demos at the Halo conference)? If that was the case then I think 3rd party publishers would find themselves in an awful pickle:
- ship just the XB1/X version with an [XSX coming soon] sticker. [that obviously wouldn't be popular with fans, and may violate agreements with MS]
- rush an XSX version, possibly shipping something that is either buggy or doesn't take full advantage of the hardware. [this would again upset everyone]
- mysteriously delay the XB1/XSX versions for no apparent reason. [ditto]
In that situation, I could imagine any publisher seeking a deal with Sony?

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had just money-hatted these timed exclusives either /shrug.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Must a new to gaming to make this your mole hill to complain about 3rd party exclusive content. Had gamers who have been complaining about this practice for so long had any damn conviction than we wouldn't be here. It's a cutthroat market either compete or complain.

ive been gaming my whole life, i made a stink about it when microsoft had call of duty and gta dlc exclusivity, i complained when rise of the tomb raiders exclusivity was announced. to all the people defending this exclusive content? Are you okay with it because its what you want? Do you want microsoft to have the next Gen version of yakuza exclusively at launch? Do you want playstation to be the only platform that spider man is on? Is this what you guys prefer? It sure seems like it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The run up to this next gen is just got me to the point of not even caring really any more. there is so many good games coming out, let Sony do what they want. They will be succesful, the fans will be happy. As long as I can play the games at some point. I get it's just business.

If they announce some stuff and it rubs me the wrong way, i will try my absolute best to support with my wallet. I know It wont makea dent and that's fine.

I'm actually not bothered about next gen really, and that got me down for a while but I actually feel better now. I can pick up a slim PS5 when its redesigned and on a cheap deal, I'll get the disk drive version and just buy second hand copies of the exclusives IF sonys deals feel too much to me.

I actually have no problem with waiting.

My biggest concern about it all, really is...will this will stop cross play...if Sony secure exclusive content. We were set to finally make it on that front, and I feel this could really hold us back.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
ive been gaming my whole life, i made a stink about it when microsoft had call of duty and gta dlc exclusivity, i complained when rise of the tomb raiders exclusivity was announced. to all the people defending this exclusive content? Are you okay with it because its what you want? Do you want microsoft to have the next Gen version of yakuza exclusively at launch? Do you want playstation to be the only platform that spider man is on? Is this what you guys prefer? It sure seems like it.

Personally I just dont care....like at all. Theres so many games to play on every single platform out there missing a character here or a map there just doesn't weigh very heavy to me. I'll either play whats there or play something else. We are NEVER at a shortage of content to play in this hobby.

In the very rare scenario where a game i just HAVE to play goes exclusively to MS ill probably shell out the money for their console just like i did for Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Tales of Vesperia on the 360. Tis the game.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
I'm afraid if there's any mental gymnastics going on it's coming from you. I don't know where you're getting the idea that I'm defending anything. The fact is that paying to keep a peice of content from another platform, for example like Xbox did with Rise of the Tomb Raider, and paying towards the development of a game from an early stage like they did with Cuphead are two very different business deals with very different implications. In the case of Cuphead, from the developer perspective it allowed them to change the scope of the game and grow their team. In both cases it results in the game being exclusive to a certain platform for a period of time, but the trade-offs are worth considering in the Cuphead example from the consumer point of view. Mainly that the game ends up better.

The second example is a deal that is incredibly common with Independent games for obvious reasons like limited funds, and the exposure that's given to their game for being associated with a big platform.

Although i agree with you, The poster points still stands.
Both approach still ends up accomplishing the same objective as the poster mentioned:
Offering financial or other incentives to ensure said platform has exclusive content/games that the main competitor does not.

We aren't privy to the underlying business deals that happens beneath all this so mental gymnastics by various posters can come into play

Clearly I touched a nerve with my baseless delusions.
That Sony who had marketed their PS4 and PS4 Pro as the most powerful consoles, would have their marketing department think:
"The Xbox is more powerful so we need to devise a different strategy"
And that involves going heavily into third party exclusives.

I'm not saying that they weren't doing it before. And of course there would have been exclusive deals.
But it's not unreasonable to assume that they are doing it to a greater extent now that they find they can't use a significant portion of the previous new console advertising strategies.

Especially as this is about a rumour of a major third party getting some timed exclusivity.

I did not say that the extra two teraflops was going to make a difference in games.
Did people notice the Xbox One vs PS4 without comparison videos?

But still it's effective advertising.
Can you explain to me why I'm off topic?

Man, You are way off key if you think 2 teraflops lead to exclusive deals.
Take care.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird lol but it goes both ways

I would say it was wrong when MS bought Rise of Tomb Raider timed exclusivity and Titanfall lifetime exclusivity, and it is wrong today. I dont think it benefits anyone. I was upset about it back when Tomb Raider happened, and I am not going to pretend everything is fine just because my preferred console is getting an exclusive.

The only time when timed exclusives are ok is when sony or MS jump in to save a game that was going to be cancelled. Like Titanfall which went overbudget and MS stepped in and got themselves a timed exclusive. If FF16 was in a similar position then fine. I dont think CoD or GTA publishers need money, and i dont think they are cancelling the next cod or GTA unlike say Project Athia which was in development hell and SE likely needed Sony or MS to bail them out. Though its always surprising to me why Sony is able to get these bailout deals and not MS who have deeper pockets.

yes there is nuance and not everything can be compared like for like.

But - how much of each individual deal are the armchair analysts of Era actually privy to? Barely anything is probably the answer, and this kind of info mostly comes out in hindsight with retrospectives etc a few years later.

Right now for the current batch this just feels like idle speculation from many, what they consider 'good' or 'bad' exclusivity as they don't know the background of most of these deals.

I agree there is a sliding scale of 'acceptability' pretty much in line with yours

Good - Games that simply wouldn't exist and a developer is hired to develop with MS/Sony/Nintendo publishing - like Spiderman or Sunset Overdrive

Fine - games that are at risk of being cancelled, or shipping part completed where a platform holder comes in to support financially

OK - Timed exclusive added content (assuming this is paid for additional work, not already existing that is being paid to be removed -important distinction)

Not good - timed exclusive entire games - at least everyone will get to play eventually but assuming this would have happened anyway then it feels like the money is more about excluding access for a period

Very bad - fully exclusive games where it is about exclusion where it otherwise woudl be available on another platform or be reasonably expected to

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
yes there is nuance and not everything can be compared like for like.

But - how much of each individual deal are the armchair analysts of Era actually privy to? Barely anything is probably the answer, and this kind of info mostly comes out in hindsight with retrospectives etc a few years later.

Right now for the current batch this just feels like idle speculation from many, what they consider 'good' or 'bad' exclusivity as they don't know the background of most of these deals.

I agree there is a sliding scale of 'acceptability' pretty much in line with yours

Good - Games that simply wouldn't exist and a developer is hired to develop with MS/Sony/Nintendo publishing - like Spiderman or Sunset Overdrive

Fine - games that are at risk of being cancelled, or shipping part completed where a platform holder comes in to support financially

OK - Timed exclusive added content (assuming this is paid for additional work, not already existing that is being paid to be removed -important distinction)

Not good - timed exclusive entire games - at least everyone will get to play eventually but assuming this would have happened anyway then it feels like the money is more about excluding access for a period

Very bad - fully exclusive games where it is about exclusion where it otherwise woudl be available on another platform or be reasonably expected to

Thank god someone else is being thoughtful about this. This is a great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.