• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
If cell phones existed in 1996 could they have been saved?

Mobile phones were around for years beforehand, but coverage may not have been good in that area of the country. Even now only a small part of Death Valley is said to have mobile phone coverage. The United States is not well suited to the rollout of mobile phone technology.

But even in the 1990s, if you went into a desert or up a mountain you could take emergency communication equipment, radio beacons, even rocket flares or marker balloons, to improve your survival chances.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the weirdest thing in Hawaii once. There's a beach on the Na Pali coast trail that looks SO INVITING for swimming, but is actually ALWAYS DEADLY DON'T GO IN RIP CURRENT. They used to have a sign saying "This water is super dangerous don't go in." They upgraded it to "This water is deadly. You will die if you go in. Lots of people have drowned here." But neither took, apparently. So eventually they started posting names. A disproportionate number were German or Austrian last time I saw the list. And I have never met a German tourist who didn't speak enough English to understand the sign.

Are Germans just naturally hardcore?
Excluding the US and Canada, the majority of Hawaii tourists come from Japan, China, Korea, Australia, UK and Germany. Most of these countries are either entirely surrounded by ocean or have populations that primarily reside on the coasts. Therefore, their tourists are likely already aware of the dangers of the ocean and rip currents. Germany, however, is a mostly landlocked nation so it wouldn't be too surprising if their visiting tourists were more naive about the danger the ocean represents. Hence why they could be a disproportionate amount of the ocean fatalities.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017

You are welcome. And here is a summary without the filler, in case anyone wants to know what happened: https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/2017/11/18/germantouristindeathvalley
In short, they lost 3 tires in the middle of nowhere as the road got worse, nevertheless kept driving for several miles until they got stuck in the evening, stayed in the car for the night, then started walking south the next morning towards an (unbeknownst to them, empty) military installation. They made it about 8 miles (12.8km) before dying.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
You are welcome. And here is a summary without the filler, in case anyone wants to know what happened: https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/2017/11/18/germantouristindeathvalley
In short, they lost 3 tires in the middle of nowhere as the road got worse, nevertheless kept driving for several miles until they got stuck in the evening, stayed in the car for the night, then started walking south the next morning towards an (unbeknownst to them, empty) military installation. They made it about 8 miles (12.8km) before dying.
That blog post you linked credits Tom Mahood, the guy who wrote the account in the OP, as instrumental in finding the remains. According to him they found the likely remains in 2009, but the case wasn't officially closed until 2010 when they were able to perform DNA tests. I don't see how any of this can be described as "click-bait".

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe read the topic before posting.

Oct 27, 2017
Just read the whole thing. Amazing and interesting read. When he said that Les had found bones, I was like "oh shit."

Great story.

Funnily enough, this actually makes me want to go hiking, not in Death Valley of course :P

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Stories like these are why I never fucking go hiking or anything like that, even though I was a big boy scout and stuff as a kid and would spend days in the woods camping with my dad or friends. I'm happy to hike around town for hours on end just enjoying the magnificence of human architecture, but I live in the southwest and will only go a few hundred feet off the road into the desert (very easy, all around me) because there are millions of square miles of absolute empty space all around me and I am not getting lost in that shit.

My wife is also always mad at me for making sure we have a charged battery jumper and at least 3 gallons of water in the car all the time but I just can't believe people who don't prepare for the worst case.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Having just played Firewatch a few weeks ago this was great to read.
Went through a few of his other stories as well. I love this stuff.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
That blog post you linked credits Tom Mahood, the guy who wrote the account in the OP, as instrumental in finding the remains. According to him they found the likely remains in 2009, but the case wasn't officially closed until 2010 when they were able to perform DNA tests. I don't see how any of this can be described as "click-bait".

Maybe read the topic before posting.

"In 1996, a German family goes missing in Death Valley. 14 years later, a hiker searches for them..."
Picture of their stuck car; where did they go from there?

->Link to a page of text that links to 13 more pages of text you need to read until finally learning the outcome.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excluding the US and Canada, the majority of Hawaii tourists come from Japan, China, Korea, Australia, UK and Germany. Most of these countries are either entirely surrounded by ocean or have populations that primarily reside on the coasts. Therefore, their tourists are likely already aware of the dangers of the ocean and rip currents. Germany, however, is a mostly landlocked nation so it wouldn't be too surprising if their visiting tourists were more naive about the danger the ocean represents. Hence why they could be a disproportionate amount of the ocean fatalities.

Plus my story is an anecdotal observation

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
"In 1996, a German family goes missing in Death Valley. 14 years later, a hiker searches for them..."

->Link to a page of text that links to 13 more pages of text you need to read until finally learning the outcome.

Sometimes you want to share a good story.
Why ruin the ending?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think my favorite case of dying in the wilderness is that of Kris Kremmers and Lisanne Froon. From evidence it seems they did fairly well at attempting to survive as one had most likely been injured. They most likely used their bras as water filtration and also followed the water flow of the nearby river. Their demise was they followed it the wrong way as it went reverse, for what reason I forget. They also marked their tracks well. The camera pictures are frightening as I am not sure if they did it to see a path or because they had become delusional.

Have a read! https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved..._really_happened_to_kris_kremers_and_lisanne/

Most likely not. I think there is minimal reception.

Actually the first time I've heard of/seen the images of the Kremmers/Froon disappearance.
Those pictures in the dark after 8/10 days... even just the idea is chilling and sad.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

"But reading is haaard guys."

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Look, this isn't breaking news. OP was clearly more interested in bringing attention to this written narrative than raising a question and immediately answering it, and the post was written accordingly. You can even skip to the end if you just want to know what happened.

The last thing we want is spoilerphobia infesting the reporting of facts.
Sure, but we also don't want reporting to just be curt descriptions and quick, reductive answers. There is room for context and analysis.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Look, this isn't breaking news. OP was clearly more interested in bringing attention to this written narrative than raising a question and immediately answering it, and the post was written accordingly. You can even skip to the end if you just want to know what happened.

This.

OP shared something they thought others might enjoy doing a deep dive on and discovering themselves, teeing the whole thing up with an interesting hook.

Shame someone just decided to ruin it because waaaah must be clickbait.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"A year later his footage was found..."

Very interesting article with a very weird title. Title makes it seem like a Blair Witch sequel.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This.

OP shared something they thought others might enjoy doing a deep dive on and discovering themselves, teeing the whole thing up with an interesting hook.

Shame someone just decided to ruin it because waaaah must be clickbait.
We complaining about spoilers for news?
Must we now have TL;DR spoiler tags on all long-form journalism? Geez.
^ Yeah, this is a weird complaint.

THe article is in the first post. It's safe to assume all posts after the first will be people discussing what;'s in the post.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
High Temp of 125, holy fuck. No. Just no. Fuck that.

People underestimate how much water you'll need to survive that shit. Can't just grab a 32oz bottle of poland springs.

Damn, RIP.

I rode a bicycle through it when it was hotter than 125, but there were support trucks checking on us.
And Death Valley has every temperature record not related to high humidity. The most impressive to me is that the ground temperature has been as high as 201F.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks man! I appreciate the summary.

This is so sad

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was driving a rental BMW 430i hardtop convertible through Death Vally in October. It was "only" 105F. Was hot as balls to me. I had the top up.

Met an Australian tourist at Stovepipe Wells. He also had a rental 430i hardtop convertible. He had driven out from Vegas, with the top down. To go for a 10 mile run in the middle of the valley.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Very thorough write up on the search effort. And also very sobering as a reminder that we haven't mastered nature by any stretch of the imagination. I can see how people would think getting stuck with a flat tire or three wouldn't be such a big deal, since it "feels" like civilization is just an hour or two away, or at least it was when you had wheels. And as it slowly becomes clear "This is called Death Valley for a reason," that initial motivation to save a few bucks on a staying at a motel has escalated into costing your family their lives.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
We complaining about spoilers for news?

News? This happened years ago. It was news once, 14 years ago, now it's an in-depth feature written by someone investigating what happened, the expectation being that folks might want to follow the whole thing through.

I don't even know why that needs explaining.

THe article is in the first post. It's safe to assume all posts after the first will be people discussing etc...

I mean, look at ALL those comments openly discussing what happened after the first post.

What would have been nice was if the abbreviated story was dropped in so folks had a choice to read it if they wanted a condensed version literally based on OP's link.

But oh well. It's just news. Let's not waste time on this.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They only made it 8 miles before dying? What a terrible way to go, poor kids :(

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the weirdest thing in Hawaii once. There's a beach on the Na Pali coast trail that looks SO INVITING for swimming, but is actually ALWAYS DEADLY DON'T GO IN RIP CURRENT. They used to have a sign saying "This water is super dangerous don't go in." They upgraded it to "This water is deadly. You will die if you go in. Lots of people have drowned here." But neither took, apparently. So eventually they started posting names. A disproportionate number were German or Austrian last time I saw the list. And I have never met a German tourist who didn't speak enough English to understand the sign.

Yeah we are!

Where is this beach exactly? Have to go there like tomorrow.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well I'll be hiking alone in the mountain in March, if I don't post again please send search party, thank you.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Yup. Thats the Mojave. Used to play in that shit everyday made rock forts, but always lost them, because they looked identical to the surrounding area from a distance. Even outside of Death Valley Its no joke.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Finally finished the whole story. Good read! Makes me want to go exploring in the wilderness even more now. Just gotta get a good GPS and use the buddy system.

Oct 27, 2017
I am now remembering the time my father deliberately drove down the side of a mountain off the road on my grand canyon field trip.

Families can sometimes do some crazy crap on field trips and go into some dangerous places because they think it would be a fun time for the family. But as seen here, sometimes it goes very, very wrong.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are no advertisements on any of the pages. Also the OP doesn't receive anything for trying to remain mysterious. Clickbait is usually called clickbait because there is a value to a web page request for the people hosting the content. I don't see how this is the case here.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
There are no advertisements on any of the pages. Also the OP doesn't receive anything for trying to remain mysterious. Clickbait is usually called clickbait because there is a value to a web page request for the people hosting the content. I don't see how this is the case here.

The motive doesn't matter. The effect is the same. Just don't obfuscate because you think it'll be more fun to read if people don't know what happens. It's bloody patronising.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I've experienced getting stuck on narrow mountain/forest roads, where the path gets so bad you just want to turn back, but that's also a major pain in the ass so you just keep going expecting things to get better, except they get worse and worse until you can't go on and can't go back. That's probably my biggest fear.

Realising you've gone too far to turn back in death valley and your only chance is racing forward hoping you'd find someone sounds absolutely terrifying, especially when your kids are with you.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
That's click-bait. Nothing prevents you from using spoiler tags.

Do you just read the first few chapters of books and skip to the ending? It's also super shitty that some folks are derailing the thread with thread whining. There's a report button for a reason, stop shitting up threads.

Christ.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

My dad is from Holland, and he told us that German tourists would regularly drown in the North Sea.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing read... I also looked up the story of the Panama girls. Shorter read but also very interesting and very sad.

Thanks for sharing.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I left this blog open at work, reading between calls.
It was absolutely fascinating and haunting, and the lack of closure with the kids is unsettling (a mention that bones/shoes were found in places, kinda).