• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think that we'll get Resident Evil 3 Remake before Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part One?

• Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part One will come out before Resident Evil 3 Remake.

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake will come out before Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part One.

Votes: 522 77.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
In Jun 15, 2015 at E3, Square Enix revealed Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

Two months later, August 12, 2015, Capcom announced on Facebook/Youtube that they've greenlit Resident Evil 2 Remake and kickstarted its development cycle.

Three years later, only one of them ended up coming out. I find this really interesting considering that both Square Enix and Capcom are Japanese publishers who have been asked by their fans for decades to remake their most prominent classic 1997-1998 games in their flagship franchises, Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil 2, and both of them were announced in the same year (with RE2 getting a "proper" reveal at E3 2018).

It saddens me as someone who never played FF7 but was looking forward to the remake that despite it having a head start over Resident Evil 2's development, it seems that it has suffered from several development issues that held it back from coming out, it almost makes me think that it's been stuck in development hell, it also speaks volumes on Capcom's competence and how they were able to deliver RE2 in 3 years despite it running on their new in-house engine instead, I'm aware that both games aren't comparable in terms of scale and that FF7R Part One is probably going to be much more bigger than RE2 was given the game's genre, but it's still baffling how much it's taken for the first part to actually come out.

It's made me wonder if, at this rate, we'll end up getting Resident Evil 3 Remake sooner than Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part One.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Obviously FFVIIR has had a disastrous development as is expected with an AAA SE project, but RE2 was always going to come out first even in ideal circumstances for FFVII.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Well Final Fantasy 7 is a huge game so RE2 was always destined to come out first. That's my take on it anyways

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
RE2 didn't get even a trailer until E3 2018. You guys were saying the same shit like you are saying about FFVII:R. Once the trailer showed up you guys shut the hell up and started to sing your praises for the game.

I am going to laugh when the FFVII:R is shown and you guys do the same exact thing and start even avoiding news to it to prevent y'all from being spoiled.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, remaking one of the old FF games is a vastly more ambitious undertaking than remaking the PS1 RE games. The scale and scope of those games are not comparable at all, but it probably wasn't a good idea to yet again announce a Final Fantasy game with a CG trailer while work on the actual game had likely not even begun.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It would sure be cool if Final Fantasy VII: Part 1 came out on December 3, alongside a 25th anniversary PS4-that-looks-like-a-PS1. (That's the Tuesday after Black Friday, which is the same day that FFXV came out on back in 2016.)

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I genuinely believe Square will go into administration or restructure completely away from AAA games to keep the lights on before FF7 comes out.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
FFVII Remake is this gen's Versus XIII. Won't come out until the next one and I wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow turned into FFXVI

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I genuinely believe Square will go into administration or restructure completely away from AAA games to keep the lights on before FF7 comes out.

This seems like an odd take, given that they just sold 5 million copies of KHIII and FFVII-1 is pretty clearly set for their 2019-2020 fiscal year.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
This is just an entirely unfair comparison. RE2 is tiny compared to FFVII, the challenges of remaking it on modern hardware are almost not comparable to what a FFVII remake needs to go through.

I guess one thing that can be said, though, is that RE2 remained true to the original's philosophy - it nails the feeling of classic RE while not feeling like a 90's game - while SE might be going for a more drastically modernized style for FFVII (e.g. action battles instead of turn based, which alone drastically changes how the world needs to be designed). Gonna be interesting to see whether SE's approach pays off.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
While RE2 is awesome and SE fucked up the announce timing of FF7R something fierce (not to mention had to basically restart the project when they dropped CC2), comparing them is really dumb, since a big budget RPG is a significantly bigger undertaking.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
RE2 is a game that can comfortably be completed within a tenth of what ffvii will be.
While RE2 is awesome and SE fucked up the announce timing of FF7R something fierce (not to mention had to basically restart the project when they dropped CC2), comparing them is really dumb, since a big budget RPG is a significantly bigger undertaking.

They're not releasing full FFVII. But in episodes.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Everyone knows Square-Enix have been a shitty company for years.
Let's be honest and just say it: The last Final Fantasy that actually was good/interesting was FFXII. It peaked around FFX as well.
It sells only based on its name. The FFXIII trilogy was...that.
FFXV was...well...whatever that was.
Square-Enix spends too much time giving their western developers unrealistic sales goals / development times(remember saying Tomb Raider reboot sales were disapointing because it had sold "only" 7M in a few months?), while their own companies take around 6 years to release something.
After Konami it's the one japanese company i like the least.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure FF7R is going to be out within a year, so given it's a much bigger RPG...having slightly more time in the oven than RE2make doesn't seem unreasonable.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I lost faith in Square Enix AAA games, Final Fantasy used to be my favourite series and i fucking adore FF7, but, after the whole FF 13 and FF XV i have 0 faith in Square Enix working on Final Fantasy. They are not able to deliver a 90+ experience, they have a fuckton of money and talent but somehow all the latest Final Fantasy games had several problems.

Does the first episode of the FFVII remake have a release date yet?

Nope.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

They scrapped 2 years of work when they took development away from Cyberconnect2.

Dan Tsukasa said:
They don't have 4 years of work, they have 2. The announcement that square was taking the game away from Cyberconnect2, they didn't take it away and continue it, they started it again because cyber connects work was just so useless and not far enough along, but still far enough along that remaking it was faster than refactoring it... (it wasn't in a good state at all).

edit: corrected name

Last edited:

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 years isn't enough time for a game like FFVII remake. SE just announced the game too early and I don't blame them. People were CLAMOURING for an announcement at the time. After playing KH3 I've realised there's nothing quite like a AAA SE game that's been given enough time in the oven, so they can take as long as they like.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

It's now February 2019.

After almost 4 years we've seen nothing real and SE has admitted that they had to break their partnership with CC2 and bring the project back in house. It's par for the course with big projects at SE, they still don't know how to make games efficiently in this modern era.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They scrapped 2 years of work when they took development away from Cyberconnect2.

We don't know how much of CC's work was kept or scrapped. So far there's no official word on that. We only know they stopped using CC.

People keep pushing this "rebooting development" idea when we don't know whether it's the case or not.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone knows Square-Enix have been a shitty company for years.
Let's be honest and just say it: The last Final Fantasy that actually was good/interesting was FFXII. It peaked around FFX as well.
It sells only based on its name. The FFXIII trilogy was...that.
FFXV was...well...whatever that was.

It's weird how you just skip over FFXIV

like, without even acknowledging it

as if the number 14 didn't exist

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
SE try and release a "big" title every two or so years. So I'm banking on FFVIIr being a 2021 title. MAYBE late 2020.

Yeah we'll get R3make before then.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Resident Evil 2 equals in the content with Midgar in FF7. It is pretty much less than 5% of the content and world of FF7.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
We don't know how much of CC's work was kept or scrapped. So far there's no official word on that. We only know they stopped using CC.

People keep pushing this "rebooting development" idea when we don't know whether it's the case or not.

We do when a dev says so and then hurriedly deletes his entire online presence when it spreads.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Not only will REmake 3 will be out by then, Capcom will be probably be in deep development with REmake 4 by the time FF VII R gets released.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We do when a dev says so and then hurriedly deletes his entire online presence when it spreads.

Who is this dev and where did he post this on before it got deleted?

Edit: Ah I see that it's this Dan Tsukasa person. In general I prefer to take random posts on reddit and twitter with a pinch of salt.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

All we know is that after 4 years they haven't been able to show us anything and there was a big upheaval in development when they dropped CC2. Clearly the development has not been smooth, but when was the last time SE had a smooth FF project? FFXIII, FFXIV and FFXV have all been shambolic.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
One launched with a trailer and it's MIA. The other launched with a static screen reveal and it's out.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Episode 1 is due out soon, no?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The best thing about losing trust in SE after the last couple of FFs is that I no longer get anxiously hyped about their releases.
Whenever FF7R releases, I'll be there. But until it does, I really could not care less.

Mhj

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FF7RE will never come out. It's dead.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like this developer doesn't even work for Square or CC.
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-in-development-hell-report-1845038

All we know is that after 4 years they haven't been able to show us anything and there was a big upheaval in development when they dropped CC2. Clearly the development has not been smooth, but when was the last time SE had a smooth FF project? FFXIII, FFXIV and FFXV have all been shambolic.

It seems like SE's marketing for the last few years is to only show games that they're going to release within the year or so. Given that KH3 just came out and they don't have anything big that has been announced on hand, besides the Avengers game, I'll only be worried if we don't get to see anything within this year.