• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A friendly PSA from your friendly press sneak fuck: if you see headlines like "Halo Infinite delayed out of 2021???" or "Jason Schreier says BOTW2 coming this fall?!?!?!" or really anything involving game release dates that are more than a month or two away, ignore them.

During the pandemic, it's safe to assume no release date is solid until the game is actually downloading on your console. (OK, if we're a week out and the release date hasn't changed, you can probably count on it.) A bunch of people here and on other forums apparently freaked out over me saying over the weekend that I wasn't sure that Halo Infinite and Starfield would come this fall, which suggests that a lot of those folks think that the landscape is a lot more stable than it actually is. Nobody knows anything. Even in the best of times, game developers' timelines are entirely based on educated guesses. During Covid, throw the "educated" part out the window. Madden 22 and Call of Duty Sledgehammer might brute-force their way into coming out on time, but as we've already seen with several big titles over the past few months (Hogwarts Legacy, Gotham Knights etc), most big games are going to be delayed this year if they haven't already been. Just keep that in mind as we get through the year, and enjoy catching up on your backlog. It's always a good time to replay Hollow Knight...

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
74921294.jpg

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Funny that you say that - I'm actually playing Hollow Knight for the first time this week!

But yeah, I feel like everything is up in the air right now. It's been surprising to see the pretty consistent quality releases so far this year, but I don't expect much other than the super heavy hitters (aka sports games) to lock in this fall.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I've been treating things already but it's definitely worth putting out there.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What is surprising is the number of people who refuse to accept that COVID affects video games. Like, it's not a mystery, all companies are suffering from it, some more than others, but I don't believe any that say they haven't had problems.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly should be rule of thumb until 2 weeks until release.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've been fortunate that I haven't been hit by the pandemic depression / funk that affects my work output... until a week ago.

Godspeed to all still working through this.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
yep! best practice is to keep expectations grounded.

year of the backlog for me, finally.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and if anything, both rumor mills and developerse themselves have every reason to over project atm.

A watched pot never boils.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Already not expecting anything, year will be spent working on the backlog and trying to get a PS5.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
That's good advice. Covid gonna mess up the planned 2021 releases even more than 2020 ones.
My backlog is filled with long ass games that I'm still catching up on.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, always assumed that for 2020 and 2021. I've just been working on my backlog anyways which works out especially since I want a 3000 series GPU before playing the newest games.

It's okay to be disappointed but don't be an asshole to devs. Be understandable.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason why for example NIntendo announces stuff so close to release. You just can't be sure these days

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
People understand COVID's impact on game development... until they don't.

"I know there's a pandemic BUT" Shhh.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I am still looking forward to all the games releasing in 2020, as it is currently still March 372nd, 2020. I think April is finally coming soon though.

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
That's why I can't get too upset at Nintendo's unknown second half release schedule. At least you know that when they announce a date for a game it's pretty much done and locked in.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to know, I thought that may be the case but I do appreciate giving insight into this. Do you think stuff that's coming out in the next couple months have a better chance of still coming out in 2021 such as mass effect? or just expect delays for everything?

It's a backlog year for me, any new releases is just a bonus.
That's how I feel, I get to go through all the yakuza games and finish up some of the ac games.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
A friendly PSA from your friendly press sneak fuck: if you see headlines like "Halo Infinite delayed out of 2021???" or "Jason Schreier says BOTW2 coming this fall?!?!?!" or really anything involving game release dates that are more than a month or two away, ignore them.

During the pandemic, it's safe to assume no release date is solid until the game is actually downloading on your console. (OK, if we're a week out and the release date hasn't changed, you can probably count on it.) A bunch of people here and on other forums apparently freaked out over me saying over the weekend that I wasn't sure that Halo Infinite and Starfield would come this fall, which suggests that a lot of those folks think that the landscape is a lot more stable than it actually is. Nobody knows anything. Even in the best of times, game developers' timelines are entirely based on educated guesses. During Covid, throw the "educated" part out the window. Madden 22 and Call of Duty Sledgehammer might brute-force their way into coming out on time, but as we've already seen with several big titles over the past few months (Hogwarts Legacy, Gotham Knights etc), most big games are going to be delayed this year if they haven't already been. Just keep that in mind as we get through the year, and enjoy catching up on your backlog. It's always a good time to replay Hollow Knight...

QH4CUiM.png

🤔 🤔 🤔

Seems the right time to point out that two major PlayStation 5 exclusives are slated to release within 24 hours of each other.

That's a weird play during normal times, but especially when you haven't had any other major titles recently.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Even Endwalker? fuck that. It's coming this year and it's gonna be my GOTY

Pls don't get delayed :(

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Pretty much how I'm interpreting it, though this is a good PSA for those in the back. Not worried too much, I still got games and other releases from 2016 - 2017 and onward I haven't gotten to yet.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Nintendo has dated two of their biggest games for 2022 already. Clearly dating anything for 2021 is no longer a logical thing to do.