• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Atari is planning to build 8 branded gaming hotels

atari-hotel.jpeg

Building work on the first of these 8 Atari hotels will get underway in Phoenix, Arizona later this year, apparently, with other locations being eyed in Austin, TX, Chicago, IL, Denver, CO, Las Vegas, NV, San Francisco, CA, San Jose, CA, and Seattle, WA.

The now-standard features for most gaming event spaces are set to be included in each hotel, with VR and AR areas, and rooms for esports, etc.

Left field move from Atari, although I can't help but feel like this is a pretty significant investment? Certainly will be more difficult to sweep under the rug if it's a complete flop (Looking at you, unreleased Atari VCS).

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Hmmm at first thought this was terrible....

...but remembering that esports has exploded, this could be a really good move by Atari.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Does the Atari brand name have any recognizability to the E-Sports world?

Seems like a good choice to open in AZ though, trip advisor is very consistent at rating Scottsdale over London, Paris, Tokyo, New York, etc in its greatest cities of all time lists.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Atari, please die already, I know you need to still be alive to pay all the feews that you owe, but die.

Even Nintendo did it at one point, so why can't Atari?
Becuase Atari "doesnt" actually exist. You can read about their last 15 years trying to scam people to pay what they owe.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Is like Atari flushed with VC money, mob money or what? Where are they getting all these dumb ideas that seemingly don't come back to bite them.

If it is mob money it will be weird, having successfully infected the whole of gaming it would be odd for them to backtrack and focus on a singular target but w/e gets Putin that sweet kompromat I guess. Pee pee tapes in 8 bit style.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Is like Atari flushed with VC money, mob money or what?
This doesn't seem to require a real investment on their part.

What's happening isn't that Atari themselves will build the hotels, but that they'll license the Atari name to a real estate company, who'll build the hotels with Atari branding and give Atari 5% of the revenue.

Total guess here, but I think it's likely that those hotels (or something very like them) were going to be built anyway, and that the Atari branding is just a convenient way to grab some publicity and attach a known name to them.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The best part is how they're going to be focused on AR/VR. From the same company who didn't want VR into Tempest 4000 and told Minter to rip the VR code out of TxK.

Hotels love them some sleazy, con men. Trump. "Atari" guy.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is like Atari flushed with VC money, mob money or what? Where are they getting all these dumb ideas that seemingly don't come back to bite them.

If it is mob money it will be weird, having successfully infected the whole of gaming it would be odd for them to backtrack and focus on a singular target but w/e gets Putin that sweet kompromat I guess. Pee pee tapes in 8 bit style.
Old people.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
This makes me nostalgic for the days when many more companies' decisions were fueled by cocaine. Glad to see Atari is staying true to their roots.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
I wish i could purchase the Atari brand and incubate it into the AAA publisher it should have become

Status
Not open for further replies.