• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
because that is the cycle that fits the pattern of their powerpoint (every 3-4 years [pandemic buffer] a new revision/generation])

big nothing news here

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i don't think there will be any broader demand for more powerful consoles anytime soon

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they even anywhere closed to being maxed out ?

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Pretty much every single game I've played this gen on both PS5 and XBSX has been an absolute dream, please tell me again what the hell a pro version would bring to the table?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It also says 8k output, which assuming they mean "for games" is crazy.

This seems like spitballing/wishlisting more than any solid confirmation.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
This is surely just their guesstimate based on last gen, and not confirmation of anything specific.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We still aren't even at the point where you can casually walk into a store and buy a PS5 and were already talking about an upgrade?

That shit makes NO sense. A revamp only makes sense once hardware sales start to plateau.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think there will be any broader demand for more powerful consoles anytime soon

Who knows once more games start to come out and we see what they look like. As it stands, I could see folks wanting actual ray-tracing for the ooh shiny effect since the general sentiment has been that this generation wasn't the leap people expect from new gens.

I know I want that raytracing/more power for the PSVR2. However, I'm also content with what we have and wouldn't be upset if the revisions didn't come then.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Probably speculation but I also bet we see hardware revisions in the next couple years, too.

Supply constraints don't stop other new hardware from being made, certainly not consumer electronics.

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel like there are enough games to justify even the current hardware, they'd have to make some killer apps in a hurry to launch a new console while there's still cross-gen titles coming lmao

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Without the shortage, I could see it. It would be the same as PS4 → PS4 Pro (3 years) and Xbox One → Xbox One X (4 years). With shortage, bump it to 2024/2025.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a projection based on last gen where Sony and MS put out refresh consoles 3 and 4 years after launch, respectively?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A PS5 Pro and a corresponding Xbox Series became an inevitability with Nvidia's RTX 3000 reveal. With that said, the ongoing chip shortage makes the timing kinda suspect. I'm expecting said mid-gen consoles to launch in the 2024/2025 financial year.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Late 2024 if anything. Feel like there isnt that many games that pushes the current gen consoles hard enough

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I believe it. Chip shortage isn't stopping Nvidia and AMD from cranking out new GPUs even when demand hasn't been fulfilled for the current gen cards.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Demon's Souls remake is the only game I've played on my new consoles that wasn't cross gen. I definitely don't feel the need for these yet.

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
This is silly, they don't know anything we don't know.

1. PS4 Pro and XBox One X were made because of 4K displays becoming common and an opportunity due to advances in technology allowing them to make such a console at a profit.

2. They can't even make enough consoles CURRENTLY to sell as many as consumers demand, why would they make new revisions so soon? It makes no sense.

3. We barely have had ANY current-get exclusives that were built ground-up to take advantage of current gen consoles, why would they make new consoles when we have not even started realizing the potential of current-get consoles?

All three of these points are differences between last time and this time, therefore these consoles will not be coming anytime soon if ever. 8k displays are not common and there is little appreciable difference that will be communicable to consumers between a PS5 and PS5 Pro.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a bit early if the chip shortage isn't expected to be resolved until 25 or 26.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The biggest takeaway from this is display manufacturers are preparing to push 8K displays more mainstream for 2023/2024.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
What would Pro revisions bring to the table this soon? The cross-gen period isn't even over yet lmao

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Lol, we've barely got games taking advantage of the current model specs, zero need for an update until the user bases grow substantially. People will be pissed if updated systems come this soon before any potential for the current models is even fulfilled (I know I will be as an early adopter of two Ps5 systems).

Last edited:

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
make them smaller than the base models and I'll consider upgrading
TSMC is offering a smaller node, which Zen 4 and RDNA 3 will be using later this year. AMD will likely shrink the PS5's zen 2 and RDNA 2 cores down, to the smaller die process. Lower production cost, lowering power requirements, lowering thermals. Improving yields (smaller die means more chips are produced from roughly the same materials). Should allow a PS5 slim for 2023.