• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
arstechnica.com

In a surprising change, Amazon now sells movies in its Prime Video iOS app

Previously, you could watch on iPhones but had to buy the videos elsewhere.
iPhone and iPad users are now able to purchase and rent videos from Amazon directly in the Amazon Prime Video iOS and iPadOS apps in an apparent reversal of a longstanding limitation in Amazon's apps on those platforms.

Amazon Prime Video finally arrives on Apple TV, months after original announcement
Users discovered the changes in an Amazon Prime Video iOS app update—the app now displays a pop-up notifying users of the new functionality. Neither

Apple nor Amazon has made an announcement about the change elsewhere yet.

Historically, Amazon Prime Video and some other apps similar to it were limited to consumption of content acquired outside the app. So the previous version of the Prime Video app let users watch videos they'd purchased on say, Amazon's website, but it would not let them purchase those videos directly from the app. And in cases where app developers do offer in-app purchases, those purchases are generally made through Apple's own payment system.

More info from TechCrunch

Apple has an established program for premium subscription video entertainment providers to offer a variety of customer benefits—including integration with the Apple TV app, AirPlay 2 support, tvOS apps, universal search, Siri support and, where applicable, single or zero sign-on. On qualifying premium video entertainment apps such as Prime Video, Altice One and Canal+, customers have the option to buy or rent movies and TV shows using the payment method tied to their existing video subscription.

Very interesting. Maybe it's to protect from anti-trust heat? Also, there are also rumors of Siri integration with Spotify on iOS 14

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
What's the situation on Android? I assume not an issue since you can just sideload anyway?

kappapeachie

Aug 5, 2019
This is news to me. Never really tried this version of the app before so I don't have much to say on the matter...

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's the worst feature of Prime, half the videos Prime suggests on my LG TV require me to pay more than the subscription I am already paying.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's the worst feature of Prime, half the videos Prime suggests on my LG TV require me to pay more than the subscription I am already paying.

'yeah the search returns everything - should default to prime content. At least now you have an option to watch something directly - before it'd just be 'how do I watch this?'

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
What's the situation on Android? I assume not an issue since you can just sideload anyway?

Android doesn't quite have a free for all through the Play Store, but it permits this. Obviously sideloaded apps can do whatever they wish.

Android still allows you to purchase Comixology and Kindle titles in app for example, and always has done. It's a huge UI benefit.

Oct 25, 2017
Google's policy on Play Store is that you are allowed to sell non-app related media like videos and music without using Play Store's own IAP mechanism (therefore no 30% Google cut) and still have the app available on Play Store. So Amazon uses its own payment methods as usual. Spotify also links to its own site where you complete the purchase if you tap any "upgrade to premium" button.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
Android doesn't quite have a free for all through the Play Store, but it permits this. Obviously sideloaded apps can do whatever they wish.

Android still allows you to purchase Comixology and Kindle titles in app for example, and always has done. It's a huge UI benefit.

It isn't like it was an issue with the apps not being allowed to offer this functionality. Amazon didn't want to pay Apple 30% and they definitely didn't want to raise prices to cover that amount either.

Like entremet mentioned, Apple may have relented and allowed Amazon to not have to pay them a cut anymore due to anti trust concerns. Though it could just be a new agreement.