• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you do with the Little Sisters?

• Harvest them for ADAM

Votes: 23 13.6%
  • Save them

Votes: 146 86.4%

• Total voters

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody's played Bioshock at this point. Near the beginning of the game you encounter Little Sisters who are protected by Big Daddies which you have to kill to save (or harvest) the Little Sister.

If you save a couple Little Sisters in a row the lady who runs an orphanage or something shows up and gives you a gift with ADAM and other powerups inside. If you harvest the Sisters immediately, you get instant ADAM and don't have to wait to save 3-4 in a row to get your reward.

What I did at the beginning was go 50/50 with the Sisters harvesting some and saving others. But later, as the game progresses, I started harvesting them all cause I needed points immediately to upgrade my plasmids.

I learned this is abnormal and almost everyone tried to save them all or some shit. And then I got a bad ending. Whoops.

What did you do in your first playthrough of Bioshock?

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. I did not expect everyone to have posted to have saved them all. Uhhhh....

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Save them not only for the good ending, but you get more Adam in the end and some other little goodies left by the little sisters.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
I hate kids but like, man I can't stand seeing them hurt in any way.

So like, I saved them, guys.

All of them. I was the hero.

Yaaay.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Save them because I didn't want to see what would happen if I didn't. I too young when I played this XD

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I harvested a few of them but then kinda stopped when I realized I was plenty strong and the game was encouraging me not to.

Normally I play very "Paragon" -- I was clean as a whistle in Mass Effect.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Saved them all.

As far as morality choices go this is the "Do you want to save the kitten or burn down the whole village" equivalent. There's literally no upside to the alternative other than degeneracy.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Saved them all on my first playthrough, of course eventually I did the opposite to see the other ending but usually I always save them.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Saved them all my first play through. They didn't do a great job of balancing it, especially once you get your first teddy bear gift package and realize that you're likely not sacrificing that much Adam for doing the Good ending. I never felt hamstrung for lack of Adam.

Saved them all on my first playthrough, of course eventually I did the opposite to see the other ending but usually I always save them.

I'll have to YouTube it real quick, but why do the Sisters help you during the final boss if you've been killing them the whole game? Do they address that, or does Tenenbaum figure the whole place is going down if she doesn't help you?

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Saved them all.

As far as morality choices go this is the "Do you want to save the kitten or burn down the whole village" equivalent. There's literally no upside to the alternative other than degeneracy.

But how much do you want those points right now? You could have them now instead of later. And then you get to pick up a cool slug. There were benefits.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I did not expect everyone to have posted to have saved them all. Uhhhh....

Even putting aside the long term reward, there's basically no reason to do it other than for maybe speedrun optimization. The game isn't challenging and there's no real pressure to try out new abilities so you get enough ADAM without harvesting them to get through the game.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Even putting aside the long term reward, there's basically no reason to do it other than for maybe speedrun optimization. The game isn't challenging and there's no real pressure to try out new abilities so you get enough ADAM without harvesting them to get through the game.

Not only do you get enough, as others have pointed out you actually get MORE Adam by saving them all once you factor in the Thank You gifts they occasionally leave you.

Edit: Actually a quick Google search shows that the total amounts you get are basically equal, Sacrifice gets you like 50 more Adam but you get exclusive plasmids by Saving including one that lets you hypnotize Big Daddies to fight for you.

But anyway, you're not really punished with less Adam for saving them all.

Biw

Oct 28, 2017
Don't fret OP. You're not alone. I harvested every one of those little bastards.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, this was literally the easiest "moral choice" in the history of video games.

"Do you want to murder little girls or not and also the reward is the same."

I'm genuinely baffled at anyone who chose to murder the little girls.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Not only do you get enough, as others have pointed out you actually get MORE Adam by saving them all once you factor in the Thank You gifts they occasionally leave you.

Edit: Actually a quick Google search shows that the total amounts you get are basically equal, Sacrifice gets you like 50 more Adam but you get exclusive plasmids by Saving including one that lets you hypnotize Big Daddies to fight for you.

But anyway, you're not really punished with less Adam for saving them all.

Like I said, even putting the long term reward aside it was just one of those feckless binary morality systems of the 2000s that couldn't be significant enough for it to matter so they had to resort to shock value (murder children? yes/no) to make it at all noteworthy.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I saved them all of course! I'm their angel and eventually their daddy! How could I kill such adorable children?

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ttdi_bioshock_6__by_anniezard-d3awveh.jpg

Saved them all, of course.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Saved them. The game never actually posits a scenario in which you need ADAM that badly, and even then, you get more by letting them live, plus the good ending.

It's a morality system that is utterly meaningless. The light side/dark side paths of Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight had more complexity....

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It would be better if saving a little sister meant that you couldn't use plasmids at all. Imagine the scenario, "there's incredible powers that can be obtained only by killing cute helpless little girls". As a bonus, the game would be hard as balls to finish without the plasmids.

I saved them all of course, i'm not a heartless edgelord.

Biw

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, this was literally the easiest "moral choice" in the history of video games.

"Do you want to murder little girls or not and also the reward is the same."

I'm genuinely baffled at anyone who chose to murder the little girls.
I routinely play the bad guy in games when given the choice. In this case, it's pretty rare to be given the choice to kill children in a game. Having heard of the multiple endings of the game, I wanted to see what would happen if I did.

I hope you're not still baffled.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's not a lot of incentive to be evil in the game. I'm a bit conflicted whether it would make sense to incentivize the evil route, as people might perceive it so that the going good is punished. I guess the design is correct in that it gives the evil route more instant gratification while rewarding the good path later on to make people feel like they made the right choice. It's just something that's a bit of pet peeve for me in games. There's no inherent physical reward in real life for abstaining from opportunistic behavior, other than feeling morally superior and not having to potentially deal with backlash if you get caught. I think it would make more sense from a logical perspective that the evil routes should offer more benefit, at the risk of getting caught and being punished by those that find it "evil".

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should add a poll:

What did you do when encountering the Little Sisters?
1) Saved them all
2) Harvested them all
3) A mixture

Deleted member 19868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saved them all and never felt like I needed the Adam "right now." I always felt like I had plenty of combat options.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
That "moral system" was so lame, of course I saved them all. The only reason not to is if you are doing a second playthrough and you want to see the other ending.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I saved them all.

I don't like Bioshock too much as a game, but the good ending was nothing short of perfection.

I doubt I would ever play harvesting them.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The choice was really poorly done, if you calculated the numbers you got more ADAM by saving them all. There was literally no reason to harvest them except "lol evil"

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have played through both games multiple times (as well as the DLC). I've never once considered harvesting them.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Always saved them. When games give you the blatant options of A is good and B is bad I always go for A on my first playthrough.