• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Straw... poll.

• I don't ask for a straw.

Votes: 59 59.6%
  • I ask for a straw.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • It depends/doesn't really matter.

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • STRAW LAW, IT RHYMES, LOL

Votes: 7 7.1%

• Total voters

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
EVERY Californian (yes even your dog!!) knows the new straw law. Gone into effect first 'a Jan, it said bye bye to freebie plastic suckers, forevah. That's right. Funeral services were held. A man started an uprising somewhere. Probably in Calexico.

Buuuut fear not, all ya need to do is ask and they'll throw one down and voila, you get your life security back, your house back, and break moksha. ^^' So, Californian/California passerby... do YOU ask for a straw??

*sip*

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
51jlXFBnbPL._AC_SL1051_.jpg

These things work like a charm. There is seriously no need for plastic straws, ever.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask for one if I'm in the car and plan to drink it while driving. Or if it's like a milkshake. Otherwise I don't need one.

Are there any recommendations for a decent reusable straw?

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Only time I would need to ask for them is a traditional restaurant. Most fast/casual restaurants just keep them out. I think the fine is only $300 dollars a week and I'm not sure who is even enforcing it. Usually I am drinking water so I don't ask for them but with soda or juice I would need to. Happy to use paper straws if they have them.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
No, I'm an adult I do not need straws.

As for in cars I have learned how to keep the drink safe while driving. Which is more difficult.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I only ask for straws if I'm taking a drink to go. When California put this policy in it threw me off at first but I adjusted pretty quickly.

Viol8tor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still given plastic straws, even without having to ask for them. But that's been from mostly small chain restaurants. Even McDonald's still gives out plastic straws.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Some Starbuck's in our area are doing away with straws, and instead giving sippy cup-esque containers with cold drinks. Seems like a decent alternative.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Only if I'm taking something in the car. (I'm all for the law, but paper straws are horrible.)

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
Great! Better for the environment! Maybe Trump might sue us for destroying the plastic straw industry or something.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not from California, but my city of Ottawa Canada I rarely get straws these days outside of bubble tea and a few stragglers.

I don't ask for a straw.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I only eat a 3 michelin star restaurant where straws in general are laughed at.

Unless it's one of those biscotti straws... Or a gourmet twizzler, or a hollowed out flamin' hot cheeto.

Oct 27, 2017
I live in California, but rarely if ever eat out, so haven't had this happen yet. I have a set of stainless steel straws for home use anyway, I'd just bring one.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The best part about all this for me is that I've never used straws, so I don't have to make any adjustments at all.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes cause my kids need straws to drink and paper straws get destroyed in 2 seconds by my two year old.

Went to the bronx zoo a couple weeks ago and it's hilarious there's no water fountain in the food court and the only way to get water is bottled water but they act all high and mighty when I asked if they had straws like my straw is going to destroy the environment over the bottle water. What's worse is that they told me if I really needed a plastic straw I can buy a horizon milk and us the straw the comes with it.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I don't need one, but my husband is always trying to ask for straws when we're out for dinner. I usually stop him and ask, "you don't need a straw at home to drink out of a glass, why do you need one now?"

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paper straws are the fucking worst, but in general I don't really ask for straws anymore.

I got a free steel straw from I believe Nature is Metal during a giveaway and when they were accepting donations to help remove plastic from the sea. It's great.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I drink my chocolate milk from the class so I get a rugged mustache like god intended.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
We switched to paper straws at my bar.

By default I don't give out straws when I hand a guest their drink but I make sure to ask if they'd like one just in case.

The reactions I get when they realize it's paper when they're expecting plastic is kinda funny.