• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a joke about charities being created for the sake of buying movie tickets for kids instead of food.

A "joke" that many people completely believe. Strawmanning feminist activism as being more concerned with diversity or representation than starving women in Saudia Arabia or whatever is a common tactic used by these buffoons. It's not a "joke" when there's no punchline.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
A "joke" that many people completely believe. Strawmanning feminist activism as being more concerned with diversity or representation than starving women in Saudia Arabia or whatever is a common tactic used by these buffoons. It's not a "joke" when there's no punchline.
Boom. Even less funny considering it's Disney we're talking about. So as a comparison, what have the RLM guys done for kid's charity?

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's a satirical video for which exaggeration and "jokes" are to be expected. Any sort of conversation or discourse about this is going to be difficult if we are accounting for literal interpretations of satire. In this case, it wouldn't even be a literal interpretation though since the joke and punchline is about charity needing kids needing food and not movie tickets, not feminist activism.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, it's really annoying. They're acting like we can't do multiple things at the same time.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went from being absolutely obsessed with them, to not caring at all.

Whenever they say anything that's not about pragmatical film analysis, they say so much shit.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's a satirical video for which exaggeration and "jokes" are to be expected. Any sort of conversation or discourse about this is going to be difficult if we are accounting for literal interpretations of satire. In this case, it wouldn't even be a literal interpretation though since the joke and punchline is about charity needing kids needing food and not movie tickets, not feminist activism.

The problem is that their whole schtick, is being as sardonic and snide as possible, which means that you get no-counter weight to their horrible takes. Their fans just go "This is so correct", because they have no frame of reference that makes it "obvious" their schtick is self-depracating.

If you're going to go for self-deprecating and referencial humor, you need that disclaimer that makes it obvious where the joke is coming from, who it's made at.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember folks, if you're speaking out about white men, representation, and sexism, make sure you say it nice or else they won't be able to hear you.

At this point I have no sympathy for people who don't enjoy when a woman or any person in a marginalized group doesn't send a message in a form they think is acceptable. Maybe she's bitchy because she lives in a culture where a contingent of pathetic men get genuinely angry at the very idea of women, black people, LGBTQ+ people, etc. telling them that they can do better in the first place. We live in a culture where we see time and time again that it doesn't fucking matter what the message is. There is no perfect way to tell people about diversity or representation or acceptance because there is already a group of people who care only about the message not the delivery. She could have said it as "nicely" as possible and it would still trigger the same idiots who got furious at Gillette or Cherrios or who say that AOC wants to destroy air travel. I'd rather the people who are marginalized say whatever the fuck they want in whatever tone they want and those who bristle should get the same thick skin that disenfranchised people already have in a culture that is genuinely their constant enemy. We exist in a world that is eager to misinterpret us and warp us because it isn't interested in what we have to say and I just don't give a fuck to play that game any more.

Yup, this.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever people are like "I dont like the way you said it even if I agree" I'm always curious as to why the fuck the tone matters if you grasp the point. Is it more interesting to talk about how someone comes across as bitchy than it is to discuss the pros and cons to an argument?

Like we have to qualify the framing of a point before we can discuss the point?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I have no sympathy for people who don't enjoy when a woman or any person in a marginalized group doesn't send a message in a form they think is acceptable. Maybe she's bitchy because she lives in a culture where a contingent of pathetic men get genuinely angry at the very idea of women, black people, LGBTQ+ people, etc. telling them that they can do better in the first place. We live in a culture where we see time and time again that it doesn't fucking matter what the message is. There is no perfect way to tell people about diversity or representation or acceptance because there is already a group of people who care only about the message not the delivery. She could have said it as "nicely" as possible and it would still trigger the same idiots who got furious at Gillette or Cherrios or who say that AOC wants to destroy air travel. I'd rather the people who are marginalized say whatever the fuck they want in whatever tone they want and those who bristle should get the same thick skin that disenfranchised people already have in a culture that is genuinely their constant enemy. We exist in a world that is eager to misinterpret us and warp us because it isn't interested in what we have to say and I just don't give a fuck to play that game any more.
Fucking A+

No it doesn't. A joke does.
So essentially it's unfunny satire is what you're arguing?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well then why didn't she talked more about what to do with the problem that exists, how to change it, who are the people who need to change the things work in that industry without derailing the issues with blaming the movie critics who don't have anything to do with the issue - and of course, a good critic is a good critic no matter his race, gender, the nationality, his religion - and RLM didn't said that she doesn't have the right to say and criticize the movie critics industry, that there needs to be more representation between the genders and races, but more reasonable approach can only help anyone .. I mean, attacking her like the fucking idiots are doing on social medias is of course disgusting and distusting, but because she is right in her overall message that doesn't mean that she is free from criticism, just like a movie automatically isn't good just because it has a good message or moral.. I personally don't see a problem with her speech but I too don't see any problem if someone thinks she could worded her criticism in a better way

One thing that she has done with regards to having more women and PoC participate in the Captain Marvel press junket is to request for women to be sent to interview/photograph her.

I don't know about what she did in the countries she visited but for Singapore her host for the press conferences here was hosted by a woman. She personally contacted a local female photographer through instagram to help her take offical press photos so that she can give this young photographer exposure. Maybe she also did the same in other countries.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
when the oppressors feel like they're oppressed but in actuality they aren't. lol.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Like, what does that even mean it wasn't made for them? Is A Wrinkle in Time about the black experience in America or something? How was it not made for 40 yr old male audience members?

I've only read the book, but the book is pretty clearly targeted at younger people. It's essentially a YA science fiction book. As someone who happens to be right around 40, male, and white, do I think I'd still get something out of the book? Yeah, it probably still works, but I can also understand that me complaining about how I didn't connect with the book might be irrelevant to, say, a younger audience with whom the book might be more resonant.

The movie (from the trailers) has a diverse cast with a main character who appears to be mixed race. I could easily see, therefore, why it might be more resonant with that crowd, and why it might be unfortunate that we don't get to hear from that portion of the population about their experience with the film.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
One thing that she has done with regards to having more women and PoC participate in the Captain Marvel press junket is to request for women to be sent to interview/photograph her.

I don't know about what she did in the countries she visited but for Singapore her host for the press conferences here was hosted by a woman. She personally contacted a local female photographer through instagram to help her take offical press photos so that she can give this young photographer exposure. Maybe she also did the same in other countries.
"Ok, she did all that BUT"

Just kidding btw as you'll notice a lot of people accusing Brie Larson of not doing something or saying something too "bitchily" and then dipping once they get the receipts.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking A+

So essentially it's unfunny satire is what you're arguing?
I am arguing that the line in question is exaggeration for comedic effect. Satire. It was not them saying that little girls shouldn't be able to see a woman as a hero, as one poster described. I didn't find it funny nor have I argued or expressed any opinion over the quality of the humor.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Larson is a great actress with a great personality. That twiiter vid just shows her class. Don't understand how anyone can dislike her.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I am arguing that the line in question is exaggeration for comedic effect. Satire. It was not them saying that little girls shouldn't be able to see a woman as a hero, as one poster described. I didn't find it funny nor have I argued or expressed any opinion over the quality of the humor.
So we're both agreed that there was no point in bringing up the charity things in the review considering the context? Great.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's the fallacy of relative privation. Very common when you want to deflect.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Seems as if "separating the art from the artist" only goes certain ways in certain corners of the critical world.

Ok.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
I've overlooked this thread until the title got edited to tell me what this is about. And now I know ignore anything rlm in the future.

Singh Deep

Dec 10, 2017
They immediately brought up 'The Wired' interview with Brie Larson - how does that have anything to do with the movie? There are actors/Hollywood figures out there who are just as "off-putting" in interviews, from Joaquin Phoenix to Quentin Tarantino, but you almost never see male reviewers intertwine those sorts of actors/directors' real life personas into their respective artistic works.

Oct 26, 2017
I believe that tactic is known as Dear Muslima. As first popularized by original old man yelling at clouds Richard "I totally don't hate Muslims" Dawkins.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just recently realized I got into with one of the big starters in this whole bullshit on Twitter. Some former DC artist named Mark Went hard at that motherfucker and he couldn't defend anything he said just kept repeating it. Also claimed he couldb' Be a douchebag incel character because he married and model and had 5 kids. Shit was pathetic just like anyone in this thread whining about being a white male in the world. Grow up

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Whenever people are like "I dont like the way you said it even if I agree" I'm always curious as to why the fuck the tone matters if you grasp the point. Is it more interesting to talk about how someone comes across as bitchy than it is to discuss the pros and cons to an argument?

Like we have to qualify the framing of a point before we can discuss the point?
Because they genuinely believe that all of the shitty dudes out there just need to be gently encouraged to be less shitty. They think that works because they've never actually tried it themselves.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is how the manbabies reacted to those photos btw.

Well the names appropriate I'll give em that much.

I just want to reiterate that all Brie did was ask for more diversity at her press events and claim that maybe some movies might be reviewed better by people more impacted by the subject.

This is worth comparing to Hitler to them.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Their review was problematic and certainly not one of their best, but I agree that the idea that diversity is needed in film review is a bit ridiculous. Films with minority stars such as Get Out (and now Us), Black Panther, Moonlight and others all received excellent reviews. And the idea that adult reviewers would give kids films bad review, well look at Pixar reviews. Where they need diversity is in Oscar selection and other award shows. The Oscars tend to pick safe films and have an obsession with white saviors (see the Blind Side or the problematic Green Book), whereas reviewers on the RT average tend to like daring films more. Not to say there are no problems with reviewers or RT and other aggregators, it's just that lack of diversity doesn't seem to be causing these problems.