• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Your entire argument that she 'just isn't being nice enough' is fucking weak. She's saying white men don't get the final word on shit not intended to speak to them. Any reasonable person among white male critics would get out the fucking way and acknowledge shit ain't about them all the time.

What world do you live in where multiple voices cant be heard about the same thing. Or that the skin color or gender of a protagonist automatically makes the movie "about" that category of person.

People can criticize movies, their ethnicity and gender does not matter. One person speaking their mind on something doesnt overwrite or block out another persons voice so there is no reason to "step aside".
You as a listener are absolutely in your right to listen to and ignore any and all those opinions based on whatever criteria you so choose. But I wouldnt expect a cis male to feel compelled not to give his opinion on wonder woman or captain marvel (which at their core are just more super hero movies and can be criticised as such regardless of the identity of the protagonist) any more than I would think an african american couldnt form a valid opinion on movies like superbad or anchorman.

Absolutely there should be more diversity in film reviews, but that can be done with the addition of critics from different backgrounds and doesnt require silencing others.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is the hero we need.
I wonder if Neeson's recent issues will tank MiB or if that was always going to tank anyway?

He didn't like it? I didn't get that at all.
he didnt think it all worked as he could not relate to her as Vers, and I that is kind of the point of the film.
He likes Carol and wanted more of her.
It helps that he is not a scumhole and actually talks about the issues and does not soapbox them.
Marc is the best

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
What world do you live in where multiple voices cant be heard about the same thing. Or that the skin color or gender of a protagonist automatically makes the movie "about" that category of person.

People can criticize movies, their ethnicity and gender does not matter. One person speaking their mind on something doesnt overwrite or block out another persons voice so there is no reason to "step aside".
You as a listener are absolutely in your right to listen to and ignore any and all those opinions based on whatever criteria you so choose. But I wouldnt expect a cis male to feel compelled not to give his opinion on wonder woman or captain marvel (which at their core are just more super hero movies and can be criticised as such regardless of the identity of the protagonist) any more than I would think an african american couldnt form a valid opinion on movies like superbad or anchorman.

Absolutely there should be more diversity in film reviews, but that can be done with the addition of critics from different backgrounds and doesnt require silencing others.
The fuck interview are you reading where she suggests actively erasing white male voices? She's saying she doesn't care. That those aren't the people whose opinions she's looking for when a movie highlighting a marginalized audience comes out. And the people getting infuriated by her comments are precisely the inbred fucknuts who should be ignored when a movie like this comes out. When Kamala Khan gets put in a movie, I'm far less invested in hearing what some fucking neckbeard thinks of the movie vs. what young girls, especially young muslim girls, feel seeing someone like themselves on the big screen as a superhero.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
The fuck interview are you reading where she suggests actively erasing white male voices? She's saying she doesn't care. That those aren't the people whose opinions she's looking for when a movie highlighting a marginalized audience comes out. And the people getting infuriated by her comments are precisely the inbred fucknuts who should be ignored when a movie like this comes out. When Kamala Khan gets put in a movie, I'm far less invested in hearing what some fucking neckbeard thinks of the movie vs. what young girls, especially young muslim girls, feel seeing someone like themselves on the big screen as a superhero.

My post wasnt about Brie's original statement(which was fine and valid) but rather the notion anyone needs to "step aside and realize shit isnt about them."

We both agree that no one has to care about anyone elses opinion about a movie but you seem to be suggesting certain people cant even have opinions about certain movies which i disagree with

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
My post wasnt about Brie's original statement(which was fine and valid) but rather the notion anyone needs to "step aside and realize shit isnt about them."

We both agree that no one has to care about anyone elses opinion about a movie but you seem to be suggesting certain people cant even have opinions about certain movies which i disagree with

They can have their opinions as much as they like. This is about realizing that it's not always the time to spout those opinions unprompted and with the assumption that what you have to say is important enough to bother saying. Basically "Read the room," something straight white men are pretty notoriously bad at, especially in nerd-oriented media spaces.

I mean, the very reaction to Larsen's comments prove how correct those comments were. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
People can point to the Half in the Bag moments for the last several years, from Age of Ultron to Wonder Woman and so on, and say it's an act or whatever, so since no one watched Pre-Rec, here's Rich on the Women's March.

"Cry babies having a fit"

Wow. Was thinking of watching these guys before. If their opinions on movies are as well-thought-out as their opinions on politics, I think I'll pass.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Please point to where this has been said.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
They can have their opinions as much as they like. This is about realizing that it's not always the time to spout those opinions unprompted and with the assumption that what you have to say is important enough to bother saying. Basically "Read the room," something straight white men are pretty notoriously bad at, especially in nerd-oriented media spaces.

I mean, the very reaction to Larsen's comments prove how correct those comments were. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

Im talking specifically about critics and stuff who post opinions online and stuff.

A social situation where someone is yapping about something in a room no one wants to listen to is a whole other story and not by any means a trait exclusive to white guys

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they have a big audience on YouTube and alot of ERA people seem to love them for whatever reason.
Is there anyone left on ERA who still likes them after they publicly showed their asses on how openly sexist they are though?

They had shown signs of it over the years but they just came out and basically openly admitted it. So it's impossible for people to pretend to overlook now.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Is there anyone left on ERA who still likes them after they publicly showed their asses on how openly sexist they are though?

They had shown signs of it over the years but they just came out and basically openly admitted it. So it's impossible for people to pretend to overlook now.
The same overplayed meme featuring them still gets posted constantly here so I would say, yeah.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
This is the Q & A Brie Larson did to promote CM that RLM were criticising her about.

Maybe they were going for satire, but this all fell flat.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I still like some of their old stuff but this new direction is just tired. I started watching the CM review and turned it off after like 5 minutes as it became obvious it was just going to be them spouting 4chan drivel as if it were smart.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I still like some of their old stuff but this new direction is just tired. I started watching the CM review and turned it off after like 5 minutes as it became obvious it was just going to be them spouting 4chan drivel as if it were smart.
They were still shittalking Milwaukee at 5 minutes in.

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't make it past the Milwaukee nonsense. Why the fuck are they droning on about Milwaukee for so long? Is some sort of Andy Kaufman'esque attempt to alienate the viewer. Why open a comic book movie review with this crap?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

These dudes have publically showed their ass multiple times. Earliest being with The Force Awakens from what I remember but even earlier you had the creepy Plinkett rape dungeon shit in those Prequel reviews. Fans of them dont care, cause apparently these dudes and their critic takes are so funny, insightful, and original. We still get that stupid absolutetrash gif posted all of the time on this board.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
This is the Q & A Brie Larson did to promote CM that RLM were criticising her about.

Maybe they were going for satire, but this all fell flat.

If you read the comments -- I know, mistake -- a lot of people on that video really seem to not understand when she's joking and actually think she's offended or outraged (like a snowflake!) when she says "is that like a personal attack or something" in response to the search question "would brie larson workout." Whereas I just thought it was literally the kind of answer my friends or I might give in response to a question like that.

I guess we're just smug and smarmy bitches.

But you can imagine, for instance, Chris Pratt answering a lot of those questions exactly the same and it being considered charming. Because men can engage in a certain style of dry humor and it's clear that it's meant to be funny and welcoming, even slightly self-deprecating, whereas when a woman does exactly the same thing people assume she believes herself to be superior.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The only good thing I can say about them is at least they aren't Cinema Sins. But that is a really fucking low bar to clear.

Cinemasins actually calls out racism, sexism and homophobia in their videos A LOT. They may concentrate on the wrong things at least in the comedic sense, but whoever runs the channel does call this shit out. I think RLM is worse by far. People think Cinemasins is a joke. People actually justify their own opinions on movies based on RLM.

The Blind Side was based on a real thing that happened though

Michael Oher doesn't actually like the movie ironically.

I'd also say this: The Blind Side features zero non-poor Black Americans - save for the NCAA employee who investigates Oher (and presumably the sassy lady at the DMV who likely earns a middle-class wage.) Fuck the movie for doubling down on stereotypes.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Never been a fan of RLM
They come off as entitled nerds with wit but still entitled af.

Their takedown of the Star Wars prequels also created an internet culture of hate towards everything associated with the prequels including actors long before internet toxicity was a thing people discussed. People would just crib notes.off their prequel reviews in any thread discussing Lucas era Star Wars

It was disgusting. And I say this as someone who don't put the prequels on a pedestal and quite like the sequel trilogy a bit more than the PT

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
This is pretty standard lefty stuff... Not really MRA shit. I would recommend really watching the entirety of what they are trying to say.

I'll summarize:
- They are critical of people attaching social justice concerns to a massive corporate film. Both those on Youtube who make dozens of videos shitting on the film or Larson and those who feel like the movie is important.
- Mention the charity thing that gave tickets to underprivileged kids to go see the movie as an example of faux wokeness.
- They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics and how they give negative reviews to films like A Wrinkle in Time. "These movies aren't for them" is what she says. This is the main focus of this part of the video. The main thing they take issue with here is someone using lack of representation as an excuse for a movie doing poorly (they show images of white men giving Larson's films positive reviews).
- They say that having more voices in film criticism is good and that their is probably a kernel of what she was trying to say. They sight the documentary about the history of African Americans in horror and how it presented ideas that Jay would never have thought of. Basically they think she framed it all wrong.
- Film criticism is the least important thing in the whole world on the scale of social justice. They namedrop films like Tangerine as movies that would be worthy of this level of discourse. Films that got great reviews from white men.

I don't think the RLM guys are perfect, but there has been this weird conflating them with alt-right people.
This assumes people actually CARE about discourse and not looking for the next big fake outrage to use to pretend to be "woke".

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Never been a fan of RLM
They come off as entitled nerds with wit but still entitled af.

Their takedown of the Star Wars prequels also created an internet culture of hate towards everything associated with the prequels including actors long before internet toxicity was a thing people discussed. People would just crib notes.off their prequel reviews in any thread discussing Lucas era Star Wars

It was disgusting. And I say this as someone who don't put the prequels on a pedestal and quite like the sequel trilogy a bit more than the PT

No one hated the prequels on the Internet before RLMs review five years ago and the culture shift has driven me crazy.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
No one hated the prequels on the Internet before RLMs review five years ago and the culture shift has driven me crazy.
Why they nearly got Oscars and were often part of top tens all over the web before RLM's reviews
It is true They weren't well liked (or was at least very divisive) long before RLM and my view of the prequels had soured before RLM came on the scene as well. However, the hateful mocking tone and vitriol around the prequels you see today is 100% because of RLM. It appears most fanboys in the hater camp just outsourced their prequel criticism to the RLM reviews and distilled it further into gifs and memes

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
They weren't liked and my view of the has soured over time and long before RLM came on the scene but the hateful mocking vitriol you see today is 100% because of RLM.and how most fanboys outsourced their prequel criticism to the RLM review and distilled it further into gifs and memes
Let's put it this way, at least most of the criticism isn't just squarely centered around JarJar like it was at the time
I'll take shitty outsourced criticism about how boring and lifeless the prequels are over crying about JarJar and people crying about how a child actor ruined Star Wars any day of the week.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
images

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Came in here expecting some form of discussion about the corporatization of feminism that resulted in a lot of the media buzz surrounding this movie, but just got a bunch of people calling RLM irrelevant idiots, so I guess I'll just dip then.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
It is true They weren't well liked (or was at least very divisive) long before RLM and my view of the prequels had soured before RLM came on the scene as well. However, the hateful mocking tone and vitriol around the prequels you see today is 100% because of RLM. It appears most fanboys in the hater camp just outsourced their prequel criticism to the RLM reviews and distilled it further into gifs and memes

This post makes it sound like the prequels are people that deserve our respect and kindness. They are shitty movies made by hundreds/thousands of crew members. Those people can cry on their beds of money at night when we poke fun at the garbage movies they created. And I think you're giving RLM too much credit in terms of their effect on the prequel perception. Their TPM review is nearly 10 years old and only has like ~3.5 million views.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This post makes it sound like the prequels are people that deserve our respect and kindness. They are shitty movies made by hundreds/thousands of crew members. Those people can cry on their beds of money at night when we poke fun at the garbage movies they created. And I think you're giving RLM too much credit in terms of their effect on the prequel perception. Their TPM review is nearly 10 years old and only has like ~3.5 million views.

I don't think it changed perception per se, which is what I tried to explain in my response noting my own disllusion with the films. It changed the tone of the critics into irritating memes and jokes outsourced from their reviews. And that is the usual harmless drive-by stuff you see. It gets worse from there

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think it.changed perception per se, which is what I tried to explain in my response noting my own disllusion with the films. It changed the tone of the critics into irritating memes and jokes outsourced from their reviews.
Like you literally never seen JarJar meme or something?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The prequels were hated by segments of the fanbase long before RLM released their Plinkett videos. They would have still been hated by the same folks without them. I think it's safe to say they had influence in regard to the way the films are discussed, but people are giving them way too much credit. Many of their criticisms existed pretty shortly after TPM released.