• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
That title though... Yeesh.

Yeah, my main takeaway is that they're tired of these movies becoming some culture war. They're also not alone with that

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...eminist/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.587def1bb053
Yeah, any complaints about Brie's "controversial" comments seem directed at her tone which they argue was just gasoline on a shit fire of everyone ready to go to war over this movie. They almost immediately concede that there can be better diversity among film critics and argue that it should be encouraged rather than simply demagoguing the status quo.

I agree with their criticisms of the structure of the movie. It was a bit of a mess that removed a lot of the stakes and left Larson's performance feeling a lot more bland than it should have been. This was very "by the numbers" for a Marvel movie and the "controversy" is exhausting.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
their hearts are not in it anymore... they've gone from celebrating movies to being cynical about them

they're pretty much down to one review a month now
Ive only been watching for a little over a year but are you telling me they weren't always cynical assholes? It feels like that's their entire schtick.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, any complaints about Brie's "controversial" comments seem directed at her tone which they argue was just gasoline on a shit fire of everyone ready to go to war over this movie. They almost immediately concede that there can be better diversity among film critics and argue that it should be encouraged rather than simply demagoguing the status quo.

I agree with their criticisms of the structure of the movie. It was a bit of a mess that removed a lot of the stakes and left Larson's performance feeling a lot more bland than it should have been. This was very "by the numbers" for a Marvel movie and the "controversy" is exhausting.
Hmmm...

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I am still a huge fan of theirs, but this was just pathetic, same as their Black Panther review.

Oct 27, 2017
And friend and I both were fans of their stuff around the time Half in the Bag started. But I think it was around the Force Awakens Plinkett review that we noticed they were having trouble hiding some of their more regressive views on race and diversity. The we were both put off by their Last Jedi review. Then by the time their Black Panther review came out and I listened to these white guys from Milwaukee basically hand wave all of the themes of Black Panther that led to its critical acclaim to instead talk about the importance of CG rhinos, I realized I was done with them.

I had also grown weary of their kneejerk cynicism towards blockbuster or big studio films and just stopped finding their insights to be all that insightful.
I think that's why I haven't bothered with a half in the bag in a long time. They are definitely more knowledgeable than me about film and film history, and I'll watch pretty much anything Jay recommends, but their cultural outlook is so... lacking. I've heard all this before, and I just don't buy it. They really put the "cynical" in Cynical Hack Frauds. :p Looking back, I've really just only watched best of the worst and re:view without realizing it.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
They feel the need to appease their fan base (a large portion of which appears to be obnoxious neckbeards based on their comments history over the years) by paying lip service to her comments while also not saying anything outrageous. They do this all the time.

I watched RLM for a bit a couple of years ago but it didn't take long to realise that they're actually a bit... well, shit. The reviews rarely offer any kind of insight so I'm convinced their biggest supporters flock to them primarily as a friendship simulator.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is pretty standard lefty stuff... Not really MRA shit. I would recommend really watching the entirety of what they are trying to say.

I'll summarize:
- They are critical of people attaching social justice concerns to a massive corporate film. Both those on Youtube who make dozens of videos shitting on the film or Larson and those who feel like the movie is important.
- Mention the charity thing that gave tickets to underprivileged kids to go see the movie as an example of faux wokeness.
- They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics and how they give negative reviews to films like A Wrinkle in Time. "These movies aren't for them" is what she says. This is the main focus of this part of the video. The main thing they take issue with here is someone using lack of representation as an excuse for a movie doing poorly (they show images of white men giving Larson's films positive reviews).
- They say that having more voices in film criticism is good and that their is probably a kernel of what she was trying to say. They sight the documentary about the history of African Americans in horror and how it presented ideas that Jay would never have thought of. Basically they think she framed it all wrong.
- Film criticism is the least important thing in the whole world on the scale of social justice. They namedrop films like Tangerine as movies that would be worthy of this level of discourse. Films that got great reviews from white men.

I don't think the RLM guys are perfect, but there has been this weird conflating them with alt-right people.
So much ado about nothing then?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
i just wish they had a broarder spectrum... i'd have like to hear their thoughts on a star is born, roma, blindspotting, climax, the fountain, etc

we know aquaman is silly, and we know captain marvel could have been a bit better... that's easy. but what else have you got?

They might get to those in their yearly review round ups. Those aren't exactly the movies that bring in the viewers though.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
Weird how they keep having problematic rants in female led movies 🤔🤔🤔

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious to see white men come in with The Most Level Headed Take™ because the white woman was a bit too frank for their tastes. And then bring up a bunch of false equivocations and strawmen whilst doing so

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Ive only been watching for a little over a year but are you telling me they weren't always cynical assholes? It feels like that's their entire schtick.
I started watching HitB around 2011 and it just feels like they aged out of the format. Before regardless of the blockbuster they were reviewing they'd put a lot of effort into the Mr.Plinkett meta storyline and have fun with the premise of the show. Now its just really low effort cynicism thats not fun/interesting to watch.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are like any other YouTuber, like Grace Randolph or the like. Where hot takes get them views, like we did in this very thread :p

Could be just for clicks or their very own position, but it's up to us decide if we should continue giving them attention.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
i just wish they had a broarder spectrum... i'd have like to hear their thoughts on a star is born, roma, blindspotting, climax, the fountain, etc

we know aquaman is silly, and we know captain marvel could have been a bit better... that's easy. but what else have you got?

Yeah, beyond the obvious that it's a garanteed hit video, I don't know why they still bother to do HitB if it's just big budget nerd movies.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
They got pretty defensive about Brie Larson's remarks about white film critics. They also both sidesed the culture war surrounding this movie and other movies that go for more diversity/representation. Understandable for a bunch of white guys from Milwaukee (I say as a white guy from elsewhere in middle America), but not a good look.

The RLM guys have been teetering a little too close to a gamergate-esque "keep your politics out of my media" position for the past few years. I started to notice it around The Force Awakens, but maybe it was around before that. Hopefully it's just cynicism towards corporate wokeness and not something uglier.

Killsational

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
USA

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
They got pretty defensive about Brie Larson's remarks about white film critics. They also both sidesed the culture war surrounding this movie and other movies that go for more diversity/representation. Understandable for a bunch of white guys from Milwaukee (I say as a white guy from elsewhere in middle America), but not a good look.

The RLM guys have been teetering a little too close to a gamergate-esque "keep your politics out of my media" position for the past few years. I started to notice it around The Force Awakens, but maybe it was around before that. Hopefully it's just cynicism towards corporate wokeness and not something uglier.

Part of their argument is that they would like to see more inclusiveness but not at the benefit of disney corporations wokeness. They agree with Brie Larson just not so much the way she presented the issue of white dudes having opinions on works of art that aren't made for them. It's a silly argument to say an entire sector of the population shouldn't be able to review something just because it wasn't made specifically for them.

Oct 27, 2017
I was done with them after their Wonder Woman review where they basically make fun of the idea of little girls looking up at fictional movie characters. As if two dudes who've made a career out of their fandom for nerdy shit can't understand why movies and representation matter.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
- They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics and how they give negative reviews to films like A Wrinkle in Time. "These movies aren't for them" is what she says. This is the main focus of this part of the video. The main thing they take issue with here is someone using lack of representation as an excuse for a movie doing poorly (they show images of white men giving Larson's films positive reviews).
giphy.gif

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
from all I saw, he got tired of arguing with people over arguing about movies, closed his accounts, and then people followed him to social media to continue the battles so he closed shop there too.

No, it wasn't about that. He was accused by someone on Twitter of sexual assault. His podcast co-host on Full of Sith, Bryan Young, stood up for Bobby saying it wasn't true, which caused a shitstorm in the left-leaning Star Wars podcast circles. Bryan quickly apologized and banned Bobby from the podcast. It's been a real shitshow and has caused yet another rift between former friends in the Star Wars community. Whether or not he's guilty, I cannot say. But after the first accusation, a few more women came forward with their unpleasant encounters with old Bob. It's all been deleted, but I was there to see it all go down.

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
they are in a similar head space with jim sterling

they clearly dont enjoy these movie/games but they keep doing 'em cause of money/exposure.

as always in moderation and at your own pace, these movies are fun as fuck.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I don't think this was bad. Not even close to most of the terrible shit you see on youtube about Captain Marvel.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
i thought it was a fairly level headed and innocuous discussion

hmm...might be worth a watch then. I typically enjoy reading/watching/listening to MCU movie reviews after they release.

The Empire spoiler podcast was fantastic

Whatever happened to him? Did he not make the jump over

He was on Era for a couple days, got a couple warnings for his typical passive-aggressive tone, and then edited all his posts.

Thinking about it now, I'm actually surprised such an attention-starved person like Bobby hasn't returned. But maybe he got banned. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Part of their argument is that they would like to see more inclusiveness but not at the benefit of disney corporations wokeness. They agree with Brie Larson just not so much the way she presented the issue of white dudes having opinions on works of art that aren't made for them. It's a silly argument to say an entire sector of the population shouldn't be able to review something just because it wasn't made specifically for them.
Honest question: Do you think the people who made their career off of reviewing blockbusters from a jaded 80s kid perspective have a single fucking leg to stand on when it comes to what constitutes "corporate wokeness"?

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching HitB around 2011 and it just feels like they aged out of the format. Before regardless of the blockbuster they were reviewing they'd put a lot of effort into the Mr.Plinkett meta storyline and have fun with the premise of the show. Now its just really low effort cynicism thats not fun/interesting to watch.

Yeah, I got into it when the show first started and I kind of fell off the show. Then I would pop back in every once in a while if they were reviewing something I had watched and the cynicism is just nuts now. It's just not fun at all anymore. I actually wasn't sure if it was always like that and I'm the one who grew out of the show, or if that just became a recent thing for them.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

She's not suggesting that white men shouldn't review them but that if there were more black women or women reviewing films, maybe there might be more perspectives can be seen, especially if a movie is directed at a specific audience and that audience don't get as much of a voice as others.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yep. They're better than Cinemasins, but they ain't any Lindsey Ellis or Dan Olsen.
Yeah, basically.
Discovered them for the Plinkett review.
Their take on the prequels weren't that shit but outside of that, they're rubbish and you can't even tell if they really know what they're talking about or not.
The way they handled the new ghostbuster movie cemented my "never watching anything from them" view I took from anything they did that wasn't Plinkett.

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty standard lefty stuff... Not really MRA shit. I would recommend really watching the entirety of what they are trying to say.

I'll summarize:
- They are critical of people attaching social justice concerns to a massive corporate film. Both those on Youtube who make dozens of videos shitting on the film or Larson and those who feel like the movie is important.
- Mention the charity thing that gave tickets to underprivileged kids to go see the movie as an example of faux wokeness.
- They say that having more voices in film criticism is good and that their is probably a kernel of what she was trying to say. They sight the documentary about the history of African Americans in horror and how it presented ideas that Jay would never have thought of. Basically they think she framed it all wrong.
- Film criticism is the least important thing in the whole world on the scale of social justice. They namedrop films like Tangerine as movies that would be worthy of this level of discourse. Films that got great reviews from white men.

I don't think the RLM guys are perfect, but there has been this weird conflating them with alt-right people.

What am I missing here? All I am reading is some dumb shit, albeit less dumb than stuff you find elsewhere on the internet? How is this standard left?

Oh, they didn't like her tone? Boo fucking hoo. Won't someone think of the privileged white males?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the first 15 mins of the review. (i know it says racial oppression. But the gif is about White Fragility. So just roll with it. LOL)
htGrFYZ.gif

----------------
Don't let RLM see this tweet.
54215001_427661407983955_4510299922381144064_n.jpg

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
She's not suggesting that white men shouldn't review them but that if there were more black women or women reviewing films, maybe there might be more perspectives can be seen, especially if a movie is directed at a specific audience and that audience don't get as much of a voice as others.

And they agree with her that more women and people of color should be reviewing movies. They take issue with her dismissing white dudes solely to prop up women and POC instead of just propping up women and POC without attacking white dudes.

I said it in the RLM thread it's a silly argument that they get into and there's no reason it needs to be 10 minutes long when they actually agree with her and it just makes them look like they belong with all the #comicsgate people in the end.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it wasn't about that. He was accused by someone on Twitter of sexual assault. His podcast co-host on Full of Sith, Bryan Young, stood up for Bobby saying it wasn't true, which caused a shitstorm in the left-leaning Star Wars podcast circles. Bryan quickly apologized and banned Bobby from the podcast. It's been a real shitshow and has caused yet another rift between former friends in the Star Wars community. Whether or not he's guilty, I cannot say. But after the first accusation, a few more women came forward with their unpleasant encounters with old Bob. It's all been deleted, but I was there to see it all go down.
seems weird when bobby is still all over the full of sith website. there's a new episode from couple days ago and his twitter and other stuff is listed, though i don't think he's in the actual episode (i never listen to them, so might not have been in one for a long time, but his info is still there).

Oct 2, 2018
They also don't talk about Brie or the movie for ages. They know the fans want to listen t to them talk about Brie so they held off. The whole thing is a piss take and there's absolutely nothing wrong with this HITB. I liked CM but I can also see where they're coming from. They're actually right about the movie. I can look aside at its issues but they pretty much nailed the movie review (as far as critically looking at the plot and delivery)

The Brie stuff was funny as also.

RLM shits on everything not just Brie so this isn't really anything special

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
They're pretty trash at understanding movies regardless considering their read on Get Out was that the evil white family wasn't typical racists, but that they're so not racist that they came back around to being evil. Nevermind the very idea that a bunch of white people are seeking to dehumanize and commoditize black peoples' bodies to satisfy their own personal ambitions and fetishes...

It's one of the most bafflingly shit reads on the movie I've ever seen.
Good god I didn't know about that.
They're even trashier than I thought.
Like Nostalgia critic level of illiteracy.

Oct 25, 2017
I was a fan, but I couldn't make it through the tone policing stuff at the beginning and the total lack of self awareness.

There are people doing this better than them. People should check out Dan Olsen and Lindsey Ellis, for example.

Edit: lol, both have been mentioned by name already. Fair.