• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I agree with their take on the situation as a whole. Disney (and even Marvel Studios) could give zero fucks about any political aspects some people that are involved with the films are voicing, so they leverage it to their befit. The people that are talking crap about Brie/CM are literally giving the movie free advertisement, and the opposing side will also defend the movie no matter what the quality of it actually is as a bonus.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is pretty standard lefty stuff... Not really MRA shit. I would recommend really watching the entirety of what they are trying to say.

I'll summarize:
- They are critical of people attaching social justice concerns to a massive corporate film. Both those on Youtube who make dozens of videos shitting on the film or Larson and those who feel like the movie is important.
- Mention the charity thing that gave tickets to underprivileged kids to go see the movie as an example of faux wokeness.
- They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics and how they give negative reviews to films like A Wrinkle in Time. "These movies aren't for them" is what she says. This is the main focus of this part of the video. The main thing they take issue with here is someone using lack of representation as an excuse for a movie doing poorly (they show images of white men giving Larson's films positive reviews).
- They say that having more voices in film criticism is good and that their is probably a kernel of what she was trying to say. They sight the documentary about the history of African Americans in horror and how it presented ideas that Jay would never have thought of. Basically they think she framed it all wrong.
- Film criticism is the least important thing in the whole world on the scale of social justice. They namedrop films like Tangerine as movies that would be worthy of this level of discourse. Films that got great reviews from white men.

I don't think the RLM guys are perfect, but there has been this weird conflating them with alt-right people.
Bingo. This bizarre attempt to label the RLM crew as alt-right is so nonsensical. To be frank, Jay's bit about holding a screening for underprivileged children and Brie responding to the arrogant trolls with more arrogance was spot on. The roll out of the film just wasn't handled properly, the film should have spoken for itself and continued to empower those who feel empowered by it without the constant self-aggrandizing which only fed the trolls more.

Another thing here, we need to stop immediately conflating criticism of the film with sexism. No film should be elevated above rational criticism just because bad actors weaponize criticism to further spread sexism. My own criticism that Brie's performance was awful, the pacing was sloppy and the retconning was absurd is something I would be afraid to state in most places right now because I'll immediately be lumped in with a group of misogynists. Hell, I was even explicitly told by a friend of mine that my criticism was invalid because "the film isn't intended for your demographic so it wouldn't hold any personal meaning for you regardless" which is frankly just insulting and absurd for countless reasons. We need to be able to have a healthy discourse around these films without immediately associating all criticism with misogyny, it's only hurting the cause that we're all fighting for which is representation and equality which means the film is subjected to the same level of scrutiny as all other films.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with most of this and found that their point about Disney's marketting strategy for this movie to be very reminiscent of H.Bomberguys recent Woke Brands video. Watching all of this unfold over the last month, there's no doubt in my mind that Disney was stoking the flames of controversy in order to get free advertising from right wing nutters....and it clearly worked.

Dude the sexist shitheads don't need to be stoked... women breathing lights their flames

How was Disney stoking the flames.

Woke Brands is something completely different than this

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I agree with their take on the situation as a whole. Disney (and even Marvel Studios) could zero fucks about any political aspects some people that are involved with the films are voicing, so they leverage it to their befit. The people that are talking crap about Brie/CM are literally giving the movie free advertisement, and the opposing side will also defend the movie no matter what the quality of it actually is as a bonus.
At the same time though, if you criticize every corporation for doing the right thing just because they wanted more money, then you'd criticize every progressive decision made by them.

They're corporations. Of course they do everything for money.

And if they're gonna try and make money through attempts at progressiveness, isn't that a good thing?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Dude the sexist shitheads don't need to be stoked... women breathing lights their flames

How was Disney stoking the flames.

Woke Brands is something completely different than this
Heck the only thing Disney did was push trailers about the movie.
No one gave Brie any tips to start a controversy or something, heck I doubt they even cared about that potential when casting her for the role.
Like seriously we're not talking about Disney pulling a Gilette here.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Blagh, RLM stopped being actually about film reviews years ago, and more about nerd rage.

And the defenses and descriptions of this latest "review" video about CM aren't convincing me otherwise. Just the fact that these geeks and nerds are saying that movies aren't important, is a joke. If it weren't important, they wouldn't dedicate their whole lives to seeing and talking about mass media and pop culture like they do.

It's when they fail to show empathy for media with people who don't look like them that they start talking about "objectivity" and trip over themselves like this.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I found the points contained within the video to be fair and reasonable, as far as I could see. They weren't dismissive of the issues raised, but rather were critical of how the studios lean into controversy in order to manufacture publicity for the shallow reason of generating profits. It's essentially the same points raised by H Bomberguy in his 'Woke Brands" video, which was well received on this forum, IIRC.
The reason Woke Brands was well received was because HBomberguy has built up a lot of trust and put forward a general and convincing case of corporate profiteering off progressive ideas without just trying to jump on the new controversy train.

Somehow a few guys moaning about Brie Larson at the same time as every other half-rate vlogger on YouTube doesn't engender the same trust or respect.

You also didn't have a bunch of peeved HBomberguy fans running around squawking whatever half-baked defense first crossed their minds.

Shifty

Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty standard lefty stuff... Not really MRA shit. I would recommend really watching the entirety of what they are trying to say.

I'll summarize:
- They are critical of people attaching social justice concerns to a massive corporate film. Both those on Youtube who make dozens of videos shitting on the film or Larson and those who feel like the movie is important.
- Mention the charity thing that gave tickets to underprivileged kids to go see the movie as an example of faux wokeness.
- They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics and how they give negative reviews to films like A Wrinkle in Time. "These movies aren't for them" is what she says. This is the main focus of this part of the video. The main thing they take issue with here is someone using lack of representation as an excuse for a movie doing poorly (they show images of white men giving Larson's films positive reviews).
- They say that having more voices in film criticism is good and that their is probably a kernel of what she was trying to say. They sight the documentary about the history of African Americans in horror and how it presented ideas that Jay would never have thought of. Basically they think she framed it all wrong.
- Film criticism is the least important thing in the whole world on the scale of social justice. They namedrop films like Tangerine as movies that would be worthy of this level of discourse. Films that got great reviews from white men.

I don't think the RLM guys are perfect, but there has been this weird conflating them with alt-right people.

Pretty much my take after watching the video. This thread and some of the reactions had me legit wondering if they went full Notch or something. They repeat themselves a bit and it does drag on, but I didn't think they were trying to slyly incorporate disgusting alt right shit into their video.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Jesus Christ I really wish I had used different wording.

Here, try this: unless they complain for the first 10 minutes of every review about corporate shilism and the political view and of the actors I don't want to here you defend this garbage.

There is nothing to defend. They do this everytime a movie comes in with controversy/baggage/nonsense attached.

You seem to believe they made an exception with this one. Why? Because the lead is a woman? lol

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Larson remarking that playing Captain Marvel is her form of activism is eye-roll worthy for sure, and I do think there's a need to push back on this idea that seeing Captain Marvel is a feminist act or a 'fuck you' to alt-right assholes so emotionally and intellectually immature they can't handle a big tent movie starring a woman, but my god are these guys out of their depth when it comes to having any of these conversations. That they spend 15 minutes of a nearly 40 minute video misinterpreting Larson's call to action on herself and her peers with actionable plans on how they can increase the amount of marginalized voices in accredited film criticism is ridiculous. I don't blame anyone for writing these people off because they always seem to buy in to alt-right bad faith movements and step in it when it comes to matters of representation.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much my take after watching the video. This thread and some of the reactions had me legit wondering if they went full Notch or something. They repeat themselves a bit and it does drag on, but I didn't think they were trying to slyly incorporate shitty alt right shit into there video.

They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics

This is outright awful dude

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
You realize this

Is awful right?

Like that's so cynical it spins around to malicious

"Brie Larson realized she's not a black woman so in order to feel better about not being the most oppressed she attacked white film critics"

That's supposed to be the context that makes people have a better POV of RLM?

Yes, that particular argument is problematic of RLM. But it's not the totality of the video.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Bingo. This bizarre attempt to label the RLM crew as alt-right is so nonsensical. To be frank, Jay's bit about holding a screening for underprivileged children and Brie responding to the arrogant trolls with more arrogance was spot on. The roll out of the film just wasn't handled properly, the film should have spoken for itself and continued to empower those who feel empowered by it without the constant self-aggrandizing which only fed the trolls more.

They aren't alt-right and I don't think that most posters are accusing them of that.

They do, however, attract a large alt-right audience. They clearly know this and they don't really seem to mind.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with what they said, I don't think most people watched the video.
Not covering the social reaction seems like avoiding the elephant in the room, they did the same for Ghostbusters.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Another thing here, we need to stop immediately conflating criticism of the film with sexism. No film should be elevated above rational criticism just because bad actors weaponize criticism to further spread sexism. My own criticism that Brie's performance was awful, the pacing was sloppy and the retconning was absurd is something I would be afraid to state in most places right now because I'll immediately be lumped in with a group of misogynists. Hell, I was even explicitly told by a friend of mine that my criticism was invalid because "the film isn't intended for your demographic so it wouldn't hold any personal meaning for you regardless" which is frankly just insulting and absurd for countless reasons. We need to be able to have a healthy discourse around these films without immediately associating all criticism with misogyny, it's only hurting the cause that we're all fighting for which is representation and equality which means the film is subjected to the same level of scrutiny as all other films.

I don't think one is a misogynist for not liking the movie, but the manner in which you express those feedback definitely inform that judgement.

For example, the context of your first paragraph definitely cloud your criticism in the second. You'd be hard pressed to empirically point to any "self-aggrandizing" that's not abnormal from any other Disney/big studio press run. The fact that you characterized it as such leaves me with more questions than answers about how unconscious bias could be informing your opinions.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
But that's a really shitty take unless they harp on and on about every time it's a pretty white dude front and center.

Suddenly taking a stand now to protest corporate shillism is transparent as fuck.

I'm going to preface this semi-rant with a note that I've had a fascination with bad movies since catching MST3K on TV. That may alter my viewpoint of RLM a bit, i've tried to look at things critically, but nobody is perfect.

This is not the first time they have bitched about the corporationalization of film, it's a long running complaint that's often not attached to any social issues. EndlessTrash.gif. It's one of the primary reasons that I think that's where the true heart of their complaint lies.
I've watched most of 'Best of the Worst' and pretty much everyone they have on calls out sexist and racist shit, in pretty much every episode. I don't run across much, if any racist or sexist humor, especially given the hours worth of content and comedy in BOTW alone.

They are seemingly guilty of falling for the 'Outrage Culture' trope, without actually seeing that the vast majority of it is overblown bullshit, with the 'outage over the outrage' getting more attention.

That does not however override one truth that is now evident that was not 10 years ago: diversity is profitable. Corporations have taken advantage of that fact after years of taking advantage of the opposite. But I think they fail to see that while the transition may be largely profit driven, and largely hypocritical seeing a corporation push the transition as brave and groundbreaking, the result is turning out some genuine new distinct original content, and they even give some examples of smaller successes, but they also ignore some of the bigger ones to make this point.

They have blind spots, but are not would I would call 'far right' or anti-social justice.
They badly need exposure to people outside their friend circle, and I think if they had they they would be receptive to it while many other shit stains online would not. I think there are many people that fall into this group, that I think will ultimately, with continued exposure, find less and less to bitch about on this topic.

Being able to see that, until recently, everything was catered to a specific group (almost entirely white male) in entertainment is a big leap for many to make, but i'm not going to be outright hostile to such people until they give me reason to, a reason beyond not being able to see that yet. I'm also not going to humor that point of view much either, and won't bother watching their attempts to talk about the issue. Best of the Worst is funny on it's own without needing to resort to any overtly critical look at social justice in film, and does not need to resort to that poor level of comedy to entertain. Ironically they call out social justice issues on the show all the time, they are just not directly attached to 'social justice' as an topic. They don't see that making fun of the inclusion of terribly dressed, only there for eye candy, models or awful racist caricatures they make fun is basically social justice without the moniker. They look back at those inclusions and laugh at it because they have moved on and matured from that period.

Ultimately, we have to draw a line between those we should ostracized for being assholes, who marginalize minorities or jump on the anti-science bandwagon or jump on the 'MAGA Train' just to rile people up and those who could get it with a bit more time and exposure. I view these fucks from Milwaukee on this side of the line.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey, at the end of those 15min they also have a line making fun of people who make YouTube videos complaining about brie Larson so it's all good

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

This is some really great stuff. Have you considered formally offering your opinions to women on how they should respond to rampant sexism coming from men? I think it would really help people like Brie Larson get this whole "feminism" thing down.

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017

I'll summarize:

This. Thank you.

Love Captain Marvel, Brie Larson an RLM all the same. The review is perfectly fine and their point of view is an enrichment, even though I don't agree with them in every single point.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
hey, at the end of those 15min they also have a line making fun of people who make YouTube videos complaining about brie Larson so it's all good
We all know that no one side hold all the answers because
boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RLM used to be cool when they talked about movies, but starting around Thor Ragnarok (Im sure its been going on before this) I noticed they spent more time talking about the people watching the movies than the movies themselves. They became completely useless. I never even bothered to see their Last Jedi review.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time though, if you criticize every corporation for doing the right thing just because they wanted more money, then you'd criticize every progressive decision made by them.

They're corporations. Of course they do everything for money.

And if they're gonna try and make money through attempts at progressiveness, isn't that a good thing?
Of course. But I just think that more people should keep in mind that the big wigs (yes, including celebrities) will say anything that'll make the target audience happy, so maybe not take everything that's Tweeted/blogged/etc. as gospel.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This. Thank you.

Love Captain Marvel, Brie Larson an RLM all the same. The review is perfectly fine and their point of view is an enrichment, even though I don't agree with them in every single point.

They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics

This is outright malicious....

I'm going to repeatedly quote this to anyone who quotes that post as if it highlights that everyone is overreacting

Like the supposed charitable summary literally says they said Brie Larson is sad she's not a Black woman and thus not the most oppressed so she went after white critics.

That's indefensible

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
But like, do you understand what makes these movies controversial?

Legit manbaby fuckwads, salty incels and trolls. And they mention and ridicule these on a regular basis.

It is possible to criticise backwards thinking bullshitery and also make fun of Disney's PR and/or Larson's unfortunate comments like the Wrinkle in Time one, in the same video.
Doesnt mean they are undercover women haters ffs.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RLM used to be cool when they talked about movies, but starting around Thor Ragnarok (Im sure its been going on before this) I noticed they spent more time talking about the people watching the movies than the movies themselves. They became completely useless. I never even bothered to see their Last Jedi review.

That guy eating his own boogers and munching popcorn next to him was like a supervillain origin story.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Genuinely hilarious watching the RLM stans breaking their backs doing gymnastics to try and paint this as rational or not some Boogie-tier bullshit.

RLM has been fucking stupid for a while.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I hope the move is nominate for like 5 Oscar's to piss off the children in here and the rest of the internet

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Larson continued, "[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about '[A] Wrinkle in Time.' It wasn't made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial."

The Annenberg report noted that the national demographic breakdown for the aforementioned groups is 30/30/20/20. Larson advocated for more diversity among reporters and photographers assigned to red carpets and junkets, and a forthcoming, unnamed tool that will help studios find critics from minority groups.

Someone explain to me what is wrong with what she said

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
The video is bad, but I have sadly seen a couple worse ones the last week regarding Captain Marvel

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like how people only complain about corporatism, once movies starring black people and/or women make bank.

You're not subtle about it, guys.

Also, Captain Marvel is strongly anti- imperialist. Does the message not count?

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. RLM is good at analyzing movies from a schlock-indie perspective. But that's about it.The fact that Mike refuses to engages with movies on anything other than a literal perspective by itself almost makes them no better than any other pop film critic by default. The lack of discussion of film shot, composition, themes, etc. is what really gets me though. Basically their movie reviews are just plot summaries where they make fun of how the plot unfolds and maybe some discussion about acting and a bit of cinematography.

It's frustrating too because you know they could talk about interesting film shit like that, but it's almost like they're so aware of their audience that they expect them to not know or care about that shit so they skip over it. Instead you get little hints of that in BotW, Re:View or their Bandcamp Commentaries. It's almost like they don't trust their audience to be smart enough to care about any of that so instead it becomes to guys just complaining usually or making MAD-quality name jokes or puns.

This is gonna be heresy for some, but I think Mike has to go, or at least have much lesser contribution to the channel. He's basically dead weight at this point, rarely enjoys movies he reviews, has nothing really interesting to say, and most of the shitty, misguided, ignorant stuff that RLM gets flak for comes from his mouth.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I say this with alot of people I used to love on YouTube and slowly leaned away from. I still love rlm but.... "they aren't alt right but they are okay with their alt right audiance and they do not mind playing to them"

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It was that "Diversity only matters to SJWs" bit in the TFA Plinkett review that made me realise that these guys don't have anything valuable to say about anything beyond Best of the Worst style movies. They might not be alt-right themselves, but they sure as hell have a huge alt-right fanbase and they're happy to pander to them.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Someone explain to me what is wrong with what she said

Literally not any deeper than anger about her being "racist towards 40-something white men". It's different levels of the aggrieved white guy shit, RLM is no different.

RLM may not be alt-right, but they have an alt-right fanbase and I see the same shit that happened with H3H3 happening with them sooner rather than later.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
tbh after just having seen the film, the story surrounding the film is more interesting than the film itself so can't blame them for wanting to talk about it more

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I like how people only complain about corporatism, once movies starring black people and/or women make bank.

You're not subtle about it, guys.

Also, Captain Marvel is strongly anti- imperialist. Does the message not count?

Film studios have been shilling white people for decades so much so that even in Asia here people still think it's weird to see non white actors as mains even just a few years ago. But when they start featuring women and PoC it becomes a problem.

And god forbid young girls having superhero idols that look like them, cannot forget about corporate agendas now.

I say this with alot of people I used to love on YouTube and slowly leaned away from. I still love rlm but.... "they aren't alt right but they are okay with their alt right audiance and they do not mind playing to them"

Bingo.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I've been living under a rock because I hadn't heard anything about was covered on Brie.

The clips I see of the movie just come off as incredibly mediocre. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to go see it.