• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Weird how they keep having problematic rants in female led movies 🤔🤔🤔
Nah, this wasn't problematic and they absolutely praised Annihilation (as they should have).
Yeah, my main takeaway is that they're tired of these movies becoming some culture war. They're also not alone with that

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...eminist/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.587def1bb053
Does Marvel (MCU) fit under "woke brands" that Hbomberguy made a video of?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
Subject headline is also deliberately misleading as they hammed it for ages with their Milwaukee review

-

Which I found interesting as I've been to Milwaukee but it felt like a sleepy nothing sort of town. We were there 1-2 days though so....

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I thought their digs at Brie for the interview with the black women was super forced.

I don't really care for her A Wrinkle in Time comment but the fact it dominated almost half the review is kinda silly.

Oct 2, 2018
I was a fan, but I couldn't make it through the tone policing stuff at the beginning and the total lack of self awareness.

There are people doing this better than them. People should check out Dan Olsen and Lindsey Ellis, for example.

Edit: lol, both have been mentioned by name already. Fair.

The whole thing is self aware. You just missed the point

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Banned for some reason. I seem to recall he was annoyed at the place, so maybe he requested it.

First he banned himself from here saying there were too many Toxic people he got into arguments and also said that this place was just as bad as the other, I believe he said he planned on staying away from forums all together & if you wanted him youd find him on Social media, only you cant now

Not that this is the Place to talk about it but some Woman has acused him of some stuff and he nuked his Twitter, some of his friends stuck up for him on Social Media, who in Turn were then blasted by many Women who point out like He said himself we should always believe the Woman first and well I assume there is probably legal stuff going on, meanwhile some podcasts he was on with said friends had vowed to not let him back on.

Thats all I know

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling over multiple posts, previous infractions
Have we found someone else to hate now? Oooh goodieeeeeee.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I really have a hard time calling RLM both siding
Anything that treats the ridiculous sexism targeted at films that prominently feature women as anything but the singular fault of sexist men is "both sides"ing it.

If they're tired of the culture war, they can get on board the feminist train and do their fair share and maybe somewhere down the line they won't be subjected to the inconvenience.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could simply ignore this shit, but they know they have a fanbase that needs the winks and nods to continue getting the clicks.

Oct 29, 2017
First he banned himself from here saying there were too many Toxic people he got into arguments and also said that this place was just as bad as the other, I believe he said he planned on staying away from foruns all together & if you wanted him youd find him on Social media, only you cant now

Funny because he got needlessly combative plenty of times and would try to bully his way into "winning" arguments at the old place. It's like when people complain about "hating drama" but are almost always the first to perpetuate it.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Anything that treats the ridiculous sexism targeted at films that prominently feature women as anything but the singular fault of sexist men is "both sides"ing it.

If they're tired of the culture war, they can get on board the feminist train and do their fair share and maybe somewhere down the line they won't be subjected to the inconvenience.
Considering they seem supportive of PoC and Woman in movies that don't use corporate shillism to push a blonde white lady as the face of feminism, I think they are fine with the push for more woman in lead roles.

OP
OP
Cyprinodon Martius
Oct 28, 2017
England
I thought their digs at Brie for the interview with the black women was super forced.

I don't really care for her A Wrinkle in Time comment but the fact it dominated almost half the review is kinda silly.

They really didn't need to mentioned it at all in their review, let alone dedicate a quarter of the video to it. Instead, but devoting such time to it, they've seemingly joined the pack of people genuinely mad at Brie for her comments.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Nah the advertising for this was rather vanilla (which is probably why it did well), "the culture war" is all instigated from people who were looking for something the minute this got announced
Yeah I think her Wrinkle in Time comments were well over half a year ago, yet people kept dwelling on it. And it had nothing to do with Cap Marvel to begin with.

Last edited:

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I'm fairly certain he was accused of sexual assault, but it was all propagated by none other than Ethan van Sciver, gamergaters, and Rebel Force Radio fans (in other words, the same collection of dipshits complaining about Brie Larsen) so it was a mess. He's endured big time harassment from that crowd, so he shut it down. Not to dismiss any actual accusations, it's just impossible to make sense of it at this point.

Nope, this is wrong. Ethan ate it up for sure, and put it in his channel, but RFR and their fans had absolutely nothing to do with this aside from their "well look who's gotten their due" twitter posts. Obviously the right wingers and Star Wars incel groups and toxic fan base would love a story like this, but this originated from a group of women within the Star Wars community. The allies ate each other alive over this, so all the toxic dudes had to do was sit back and watch the fireworks.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I noticed the same thing when I saw someone post the review in another thread.

I started scrubbing through the the video to see what they thought and it's like getting close to half way through the video and they are still doing a "review" on how Brie Larson should have handled herself in her "controversial" comments and finger wagging her rather than really even doing an honest look at what the controversy was overall, despite deciding to dedicate so much time to it. They aren't completely off-base with everything they were saying and after going back to at least hear them out on their point of view on the whole controversy after first skipping ahead to get to the point where they actually talk about the movie, they at least didn't come across as landing on the side of the alt-right agenda, but man, they really on their high horse trying to provide a rebuttal to Larson's points while not really acknowledging their own blind spots nor their own weird reasoning for dedicating a good portion of their video to countering Brie Larson, like "nah, miss liberal lady, it is YOU that is the hypocrite!"

There is a way of addressing how she was mistaken, without handwaving all the toxic bullshit misinformation campaigns on the other side, or just focusing on tearing apart her statements and attempting to discredit her intentions, and at the same time playing the role of some more enlightened observer trying to "both sides" the situation while just acting like their cynicism and snark is their own shield from getting pulled into the muck, despite taking one sided shots.

They shouldn't have bothered addressing it at all.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, this is wrong. Ethan ate it up for sure, and put it in his channel, but RFR and their fans had absolutely nothing to do with this aside from their "well look who's gotten their due" twitter posts. Obviously the right wingers and Star Wars incel groups and toxic fan base would love a story like this, but this originated from a group of women within the Star Wars community. The allies ate each other alive over this, so all the toxic dudes had to do was sit back and watch the fireworks.
You're right, and responded shortly before I submitted an edit to revise after I read your previous post. I said propagated and pushed, and instead I should have said that they are the most readily available sources documenting the issue, which are a mess, and not implied they are the cause for the controversy and his departure. I was a few days late and only saw the aftermath. I appreciate your experience and insight.

Last edited:

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they seem supportive of PoC and Woman in movies that don't use corporate shillism to push a blonde white lady as the face of feminism, I think they are fine with the push for more woman in lead roles.
You're trying way too hard here. It always annoys me when a post is technically good but this is misplaced.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Trolling
Was watching this and thought I'd pop over here because there would probably be a hyperbolic outrage thread.

Yep.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is no different that the shitheads online changing the gameplan from "Don't watch this SJW cunt" to " Watch Battle Ángel and buy Wonder Woman instead if you wanna rep REAL feminism.". It's just a curated version of the same intent: Shut down the female lead with the biggest platform at the moment.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It sure is strange the amount of really digging into the subject they do when certain things come up

Sure is

Dec 16, 2017
It's a silly argument to say an entire sector of the population shouldn't be able to review something just because it wasn't made specifically for them.

That sounds like a silly argument that Brie Larson didn't make, unless you cherry pick a few lines and ignore her actual message. She advocated for more critics that represent viewers who aren't white males. As a white male, I have no idea how other white males could be bothered by that unless they're completely insecure.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
But that's a really shitty take unless they harp on and on about every time it's a pretty white dude front and center.

Suddenly taking a stand now to protest corporate shillism is transparent as fuck.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Was watching this and thought I'd pop over here because there would probably be a hyperbolic outrage thread.

Yep.
Had to post in it though to show everyone how above all that you are though, huh. And people sharing their opinions on a video game forum are definitely outraged, I mean people are probably screaming at their screens now, right?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
That sounds like a silly argument that Brie Larson didn't make, unless you cherry pick a few lines and ignore her actual message. She advocated for more critics that represent viewers who aren't white males. As a white male, I have no idea how other white males could be bothered by that unless they're completely insecure.

I already responded to that part of the criticism up above.

And they agree with her that more women and people of color should be reviewing movies. They take issue with her dismissing white dudes solely to prop up women and POC instead of just propping up women and POC without attacking white dudes.

I said it in the RLM thread it's a silly argument that they get into and there's no reason it needs to be 10 minutes long when they actually agree with her and it just makes them look like they belong with all the #comicsgate people in the end.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is no different that the shitheads online changing the gameplan from "Don't watch this SJW cunt" to " Watch Battle Ángel and buy Wonder Woman instead if you wanna rep REAL feminism.". It's just a curated version of the same intent: Shut down the female lead with the biggest platform at the moment.
Well it's an awkward scenerio. You have clearly tons of sexist trolls. But there is a real critique to be had. But I agree now is likely not the time to point those critiques out.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RedLetterMedia are actually the only true leftist intersectional feminists. You can tell because they only ever talk about feminism to bring down the corporate woke (wo)MAN.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

RG0BS1U.gif

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE PLINKETT REVIEWS?

They pulled this same shit with TFA. And everyone here gave them a pass because they trash talked some star wars movies they don't like.