• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I occasionally check out RLM's reviews because they often have an insight or two about the films they review. But I couldn't get through this one. Two guys spent the first 10-15 minutes being snarky about a woman's call for diversity is just plain weird and pathetic. What does that have anything to do with the movie? Nothing!

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
These guys have been legit awful for years. Anytime diversity or representation comes up it's always this sneery shit they pull. I really don't know what people find entertaining about them. If I ever see that absolute trash gif again, it will be too soon.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
If you follow RLM at all you know they're left leaning, progressive, and support diversity. They can be critical even if they miss the mark sometimes, unfortunately this is one of those times.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one on the right had a fairly reasonable take. The ugly nasal one was just a typical annoying internet neckbeard.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty standard lefty stuff... Not really MRA shit. I would recommend really watching the entirety of what they are trying to say.

I'll summarize:
- They are critical of people attaching social justice concerns to a massive corporate film. Both those on Youtube who make dozens of videos shitting on the film or Larson and those who feel like the movie is important.
- Mention the charity thing that gave tickets to underprivileged kids to go see the movie as an example of faux wokeness.
- They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics and how they give negative reviews to films like A Wrinkle in Time. "These movies aren't for them" is what she says. This is the main focus of this part of the video. The main thing they take issue with here is someone using lack of representation as an excuse for a movie doing poorly (they show images of white men giving Larson's films positive reviews).
- They say that having more voices in film criticism is good and that their is probably a kernel of what she was trying to say. They sight the documentary about the history of African Americans in horror and how it presented ideas that Jay would never have thought of. Basically they think she framed it all wrong.
- Film criticism is the least important thing in the whole world on the scale of social justice. They namedrop films like Tangerine as movies that would be worthy of this level of discourse. Films that got great reviews from white men.

I don't think the RLM guys are perfect, but there has been this weird conflating them with alt-right people.

Yeah this is what I'm getting from the video as well. I do like watching them even if I did enjoy the movie.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
These guys have been legit awful for years. Anytime diversity or representation comes up it's always this sneery shit they pull. I really don't know what people find entertaining about them. If I ever see that absolute trash gif again, it will be too soon.

They kind of have to address it because Brie Larson criticized them twice (both as white men and white male critics). And frankly that topic she brought up is more interesting than the movie. Also the people who made the movie decided to use the movie as a vehicle to discuss social justice topic, it's fair game to discuss it for everybody else.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Yup thank you.

RLM fans, where you at on "just watch them for the entertainment"?

These your boys

I've made horrible thoughtless jokes around friends also. Like, you can tell when it's actual punching down humor like on Fox News when some talking head on Hannity goes "ayyy homeboy, see me on the block!" to a black guest or some shit. But Rich fucking around talking fake Chinese? That doesn't really ping on my radar. People can't make shit jokes anymore without being just tossed to the "terrible people" bin? Fucking hell.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Yeah, they probably spent a little too long talking about Brie Larson.

Yeah, that video of Rich making fun of Mandarin was a poor choice on his part, along the rest of them laughing at it.

But those are two relatively mild missteps in hundreds of hours of clever humor, so-stupid-it's-clever humor, and thoughtful film criticism that I will give them a pass.

Oct 27, 2017
I've made horrible thoughtless jokes around friends also. Like, you can tell when it's actual punching down humor like on Fox News when some talking head on Hannity goes "ayyy homeboy, see me on the block!" to a black guest or some shit. But Rich fucking around talking fake Chinese? That doesn't really ping on my radar. People can't make shit jokes anymore without being just tossed to the "terrible people" bin? Fucking hell.
This post is not even disingenuous but acting like we're fucking idiots. What you and Rich did are racist and people can appropriately judge you for that.
If you follow RLM at all you know they're left leaning, progressive, and support diversity. They can be critical even if they miss the mark sometimes, unfortunately this is one of those times.
Seriously, what have that has shown that besides you wanting to believe that?

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with this. But that's why I find this thread so irrational. If you've watched you know they kinda fall on the liberal side of the spectrum. But then I see posts like this...

RLM is 4-chan trash, how is it a bad post if it's true?

I guess it's like saying the sky is blue?

and think people have gone batshit.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
12 minutes in and they seem to be mentioning some upset Captan Marvel wasn't cast as a Black Woman, was that a rumor before Larson was chosen or something?
No. The character Monica Rambeau (who is portrayed as a young girl here, and whose mother is best friends with Carol Danvers) has had the name Captain Marvel before in the comics, but has gone by other aliases (Photon, Pulsar, currently Spectrum), and hasn't gone by the 'Captain Marvel' moniker since the 90's.

The Captain Marvel name has also belonged to multiple heroes within Marvel. Carol Danvers (formerly Ms. Marvel) has had the title since 2012, and was confirmed to be the focus of the movie shortly after it was announced in 2014. Larson wasn't attached for acouple years still.

Monica, with her mother's relationship with Carol and the inherent time skip between this movie and the current Marvel films, is clearly being set up for some kind of superhero role in future films.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lmao ok dude, all that's missing is him slanting his eyes.

You wanna make excuses for out of touch white guys making racists jokes and following it up with "that's just the way they talk"..

Thanks for showing your ass, congrats.

This is absolutely punching down. Wake up.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly they had been on a roll with much better takes but this shit was disgusting and it infuriates me to no end when they think that representation in cinema isn't important and its stupid to whine about it. Like theyre basically perfectly emulating what Larson was saying when she said she didn't need to hear what a white 40 year old man has to say about a movie.

But not everything is always made for everyone.

And all RLM did with their white fragility bitching, was prove Brie was right.
This

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Is the joke "I'm going to mockingly replicate what a Chinese person sounds like?" Is that the super awesome joke we're at risk of losing here?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the RLM guys are perfect, but there has been this weird conflating them with alt-right people.

They aren't alt-right but they sure run parallel in some key areas. Every. Single. Time.

This whole video is embarrassing. RLM carefully opining that Captain Marvel isn't good representation because she gets her powers from an explosion and not feminism is peak dumbshit internet criticism.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I loved RLM's content back during the first year of Best of the Worst, and their Mr. Plinkett reviews, but I more or less stopped watching once they made their TFA's review. It's clear that while they're capable of being talented critics, and can be really funny at times, they have some pretty ignorant views about many progressive issues and can easily be labeled as "fragile white dudes".

Not really sad I've passed up their content for a while.

This dude's great.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this, BP and TFA it seems like RLM is the sort of "Ally" who is ok with you until you start speaking up and they start to feel uncomfortable.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

tenor.gif

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Between this, BP and TFA it seems like RLM is the sort of "Ally" who is ok with you until you start speaking up and they start to feel uncomfortable.
I think a lot of it comes from this stupid cynical view they have where they think studios attempting to prop up their movie as a beacon for social justice is a marketing move to get hype for their movie. The fucking problem is, even if thats true, so the fuck what?

They also seem to think that representation or having fictional characters on screen that people can relate to is stupid despite the fact that none of them can say the same hasn't been influential for them growing up and the movies/stories/fictional characters they were influenced by.

Its just stupid dumb logic all around and its frustrating that they keep going back to that well.

Oct 27, 2017
These guys are the poster boys for white male fragility. I remember them getting their panties in a twist over the casting diversity for TFA, TLJ, and Black Panther so I pretty much stopped watching because I'm probably too diverse an audience for them.

In all honesty the only worthwile content on that channel are plinketts prequel reviews everything else is trash.

Oct 26, 2017
i have it more than people thinking they're alt-right adjacent just because they're talking about a movie studio run by white men with a privileged white woman lead cynically monetizing diversity and using it as a shield from criticism, making "40 year old white men" the villains for calling a movie mediocre when the same ones have liked other diverse movies that weren't formulaic studio tentpoles
No one made "white men" the enemy.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao ok dude, all that's missing is him slanting his eyes.

You wanna make excuses for out of touch white guys making racists jokes and following it up with "that's just the way they talk"..

Thanks for showing your ass, congrats.

This is absolutely punching down. Wake up.

A fat white dude at an Asian restaurant mocking his waitress is punching down. In the right context on a show? I just don't think it is. Context is king. If Rich didn't let it go and was all like "And here's another thing I got to say about those little chinamen!" Then I'd call that bullshit real quick. But that was just some dudes laughing at some really low brow Family Guy level humor without an inch of malice in sight.

So, I guess everyone involved in this scene is a racist? I mean, they even included the slant eyes...

Not every little thing is trying to keep POC or minorities down. Sometimes shit is just a joke, guys.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
i have it more than people thinking they're alt-right adjacent just because they're talking about a movie studio run by white men with a privileged white woman lead cynically monetizing diversity and using it as a shield from criticism, making "40 year old white men" the villains for calling a movie mediocre when the same ones have liked other diverse movies that weren't formulaic studio tentpoles

Wtf are you even talking about.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

Diet racism is still racism, and yes, it makes you a shitty person.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's unfunny and definitely racist. Sorry.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I feel it pretty much comes down to how do you feel about big corporations finally monetizing diversity for profits, are you fine with it or do you feel actual progress is made elsewhere and without profit margins in mind

Its certainly a take but a clear one and im finding it hard to call them fucking alt right for critizing big companies and their products from that standpoint

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is what I'm getting from the video as well. I do like watching them even if I did enjoy the movie.

"They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics"

So you agree that with that guy and by proxy RLM claiming Larson decided to shit on white men because she's sad she's not a black woman and thus the most oppressed?

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
A fat white dude at an Asian restaurant mocking his waitress is punching down. In the right context on a show? I just don't think it is. Context is king. If Rich didn't let it go and was all like "And here's another thing I got to say about those little chinamen!" Then I'd call that bullshit real quick. But that was just some dudes laughing at some really low brow Family Guy level humor without an inch of malice in sight.

So, I guess everyone involved in this scene is a racist? I mean, they even included the slant eyes...

Not every little thing is trying to keep POC or minorities down. Sometimes shit is just a joke, guys.

You're kind of proving his point.

Or, to put it another way: why do you think that Extras scene is funny? Like in your opinion what's the joke there?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

You seem to believe that racism doesn't exist if it's a joke. This is blatant ignorance.

What do you think he meant when he said "that's not racism that's just the way they talk" genius?

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yes much ado about nothing. I would say they harp on it too long, but the core of what they are saying is pretty true.

"They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics"

This is true to you?

Do you believe Brie Larson wishes she was black so she could be more oppressed but since she can't be black she shat on white men instead?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I feel it pretty much comes down to how do you feel about big corporations finally monetizing diversity for profits, are you fine with it or do you feel actual progress is made elsewhere and without profit margins in mind

Its certainly a take but a clear one and im finding it hard to call them fucking alt right for critizing big companies and their products from that standpoint
So what's your solution? Stop celebrating thoughtful representation and diversity because Disney doesn't "mean it" enough? Like yeah, multi-billion dollar entertainment conglomerate likes money. No fucking shit. This isn't some galaxy-brain revelation here. So do we tell all the brown kids excited for a Kamala Khan movie that they can't have it until Disney proves they're doing it for "the right reasons", whatever that fucking means?

This shit ain't about Disney or RLM or any motherfucker that wants to paint inclusion as "clearly a cynical attempt at getting money." No one gives a fuck. It's about people who feel ignored because the color of their skin, their gender, their race, who they love etc. means they will never be on a fucking poster. That feel like the shit they deal with is never brought on screen. Not every black person wants to have themselves represented with "hey, remember when you guys were slaves?" Not every muslim wants to know that the only markets they've got cornered in Hollywood are "goofy taxi driver/store clerk" or fundamentalist nutjob. Not every woman wants to be relegated to half-written love interests or skimpily-dressed victims of assault. Maybe, just fucking maybe, people wanna feel like the fucking hero and don't give a shit if Disney makes money in the process.

Last edited:

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This is true to you?

Do you believe Brie Larson wishes she was black so she could be more oppressed but since she can't be black she shat on white men instead?
That's not what they said even slightly. I watched the whole video. They literally do not say this.

The part that's true is people stupidly lapping up a giant corporations bullshit when they cynically glom on to social movements, or try to turn it into controversy to their benefit. The "charity" donations to put money into the pockets of the worlds largest media conglomerate is super fucking gross. If it were really a concern to Disney they'd give free showings to young girls or something along those lines.

More people should have a watch of HBomberguys video on "woke brands" and "woke capitalism".

These companies and their marketing teams are intentionally manipulating us. Controversy breeds publicity. That's whats gross. The manipulation.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Defending and minimising racism.
You seem to believe that racism doesn't exist if it's a joke. This is ignorance at its finest.

What do you think he meant when he said "that's not racism that's just the way they talk" genius?

No, I said context is king. In the context of Rich's joke, I don't see the malice needed to take an otherwise racist stereotype joke all the way home into the "I hate Asians" category . And the "they talk like that..." is problematic, absolutely, but I also see the look he gives the camera before he does an impression of "my drunk racist uncle" with his body language before he says it. Dude is fucking joking. I mean, it's super obvious.

Does Rich need some time outside of his middle American bubble to know that "ching chong" whatever is no beuno, probably. Is Rich the next David fucking Duke about to rally some proud boys to beat some black kids up? Probably not.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
So what's your solution? Stop celebrating thoughtful representation and diversity because Disney doesn't "mean it" enough? Like yeah, multi-billion dollar entertainment conglomerate likes money. No fucking shit. This isn't some galaxy-brain revelation here. So do we tell all the brown kids excited for a Kamala Khan movie that they can't have it until Disney proves they're doing it for "the right reasons", whatever that fucking means?
THe crazy thing is, multibillion dollar multinational Disney is just the smoke screen in all of this. The real target of all the vitriol is Brie Larson, who is just a contractor, and her statements made IIRX independent of her contract with the MCU. These are her personal views towards diversity and inclusiveness that they are targeting, not Disney's.