• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, it was pure overkill to have it at 15+ minutes before getting to the review, but I personally wasn't that offended at most of the points they were making - Jay in particular mentioning the Candyman stuff made sense

I say this as someone who wanted Brie and the movie to succeed and found the pre-launch backlash fucking embarrassing.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watch RLM quite a bit but yeah when I saw this video it was disappointing. I feel like it's important to address the "controversy" a bit, but they came off very poor. From how much time is spent on the topic, to how it's mostly them complaining about Brie Larson, it just wasn't a great take. That and it felt like the review of the film itself was lacking a bit as well compared to past Half in the Bags. It didn't feel like they talked much about the actual film at all.

I get it's easy to feel jaded when it comes to Hollywood; it's Hollywood and you should feel suspect about a lot of things they do. But Captain Marvel isn't really an example of that.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Who's being condescending? For the record I enjoyed the shit out of Captain Marvel, but still doesn't change that I feel a little wary of companies and anyone who stands to profit from controversy.

There was no controversy until some insecure white men decided to act out their white privilege and twist her words and made it into some big thing about her hating white males.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This bit is just beyond embarrassing:

"She comes across like just the most dismissive, nasty, snarky person"
*cut to Brie Larson talking in a 100% inoccuous tone*
(Five bonus embarrassment points for snarkingly implying she's saying "amidextrous" when she clearly pronounces it "ambidextrous").

Do these guys just shit on any woman that behaves short of a smiling Stepford wife? The fuck is going on there?

The 'nasty' remark alone should be setting off some fucking alarm bells.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Who's being condescending? For the record I enjoyed the shit out of Captain Marvel, but still doesn't change that I feel a little wary of companies and anyone who stands to profit from controversy.
While yes, Disney ultimately profits, that doesn't mean that what Brie Larson is doing with pushing for more disabled people, women & POC to get a chance to do the usual press crap that is generally automagically given to men to cover is a bad thing. Her efforts might be somewhat powered by the Evil Big Corporation Only In It For The Money but she's still doing some good with the brief moment of heightened visibility & power she is granted by being the face of a Marvel movie.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Are you calling us psychos? i guess being a sycophant has it's perks.
To get from them discussing this controversy to "4chan trash" is just plain ridiculous. I don't claim to know them personally but they showed time and time again that their obviously left-leaning and liberal and support diversity, yet every thread where they're mentioned someone just has to refuel this argument about them being racist. People out for blood

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Not everything need be one or the other concerning RLM.

It's too bad their reviews aren't all like this.

To get from them discussing this controversy to "4chan trash" is just plain ridiculous. I don't claim to know them personally but they showed time and time again that their obviously left-leaning and liberal and support diversity, yet every thread where they're mentioned someone just has to refuel this argument about them being racist. People out for blood

Being left leaning or liberals is not a disqualified for being racist or sexist. Maybe they're nice people, but so what? They should be more in tune with the times, and basic human decency. They failed to read the room.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Claiming liberal values doesn't mean much when you then go on 15 minute misogynistic diatribes about how a woman comes off so OVERLY NEGATIVE just because they want to enact some change in the system and are vocal about it, or say some racist garbage and don't see any issues with it. Like, can't Brie Larson just shut up and not be such a negative nancy. Go sit in the corner and be quiet & pretty.

Oct 27, 2017
Show me that because even when I watched them I didn't have that opinion.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Literally one person said this is 4-chan tier comedy. 1. Person. Sanjuro, ara and others pointing it out as though it's some widespread thing is just eye-rolly to say the least.

As for their political views: They have a long and consistent history of crappy statements related to diversity, the impact it can have on younger people growing up etc. that they just don't grasp. Honestly, in large part because they grew up privileged and in a society that already catered to them because they're seen as the default. So they don't get why it might matter to other people. They almost do when they acknowledge the importance of a variety of critics/voices but then they go right back to not getting why it matters.

And as for being left/liberal leaning, they also have years history of shitty trans 'jokes'. Among other 'jokes'. They have said some good things here and there (Josh/Jack more so of the 'main' crew, Jay to a lesser degree) but they really fail to grasp why people care about diversity in media. Forcing myself to watch this video (as I've largely dropped them after being a die-hard fan for a good while) it almost felt like they got it in a few places. But then they said the same stuff they have since Ghostbusters/TFA/BP. That's not even getting into the weird arguments they made about Brie Larson's tone.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Literally one person said this is 4-chan tier comedy. 1. Person. Sanjuro, ara and others pointing it out as though it's some widespread thing is just eye-rolly to say the least.

As for their political views: They have a long and consistent history of crappy statements related to diversity, the impact it can have on younger people growing up etc. that they just don't grasp. Honestly, in large part because they grew up privileged and in a society that already catered to them because they're seen as the default. So they don't get why it might matter to other people. They almost do when they acknowledge the importance of a variety of critics/voices but then they go right back to not getting why it matters.

And as for being left/liberal leaning, they also have years history of shitty trans 'jokes'. Among other 'jokes'. They have said some good things here and there (Josh/Jack more so of the 'main' crew, Jay to a lesser degree) but they really fail to grasp why people care about diversity in media. Forcing myself to watch this video (as I've largely dropped them after being a die-hard fan for a good while) it almost felt like they got it in a few places. But then they said the same stuff they have since Ghostbusters/TFA/BP. That's not even getting into the weird arguments they made about Brie Larson's tone.
Do you remember when these things were discussed? I mean, in what episodes. I'd love to see that and if I'm wrong I stand corrected about what I said up there

edit: to the people replying to me, I don't have examples that I remember off the top of my head, this is the impression I got from them after watching hours upon hours of their content. I do remember myself thinking "phew, they seem cool", specifically because so many other Youtubers showed themselves to be bigots in the past

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you follow RLM at all you know they're left leaning, progressive, and support diversity. They can be critical even if they miss the mark sometimes, unfortunately this is one of those times.
Yeah I don't think they're going he worst people in the world or anything, but this is like a huge blindspots and sticking point for them. I think they know they have a certain type of fan who eats this shit up.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing as progressive as using alt-right talking points such as accusing someone of virtue signalling because they feel they aren't oppressed enough.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like how the left is complaining that Disney isn't being sincere with diversity by claiming that still make people pay to watch their movies. Which means:

A) They think Marvel movies that only star white men are worth the price

B) People who work on movies starring non-white men doesn't deserve to have a roof over their head or food in their bellies

Really showing your true opinions, guys.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watch RLM quite a bit but yeah when I saw this video it was disappointing. I feel like it's important to address the "controversy" a bit, but they came off very poor.
What controversy, and why did they have to address it ?
RLM are #cancelled right psychos?
tenor.gif

Do you remember when these things were discussed? I mean, in what episodes. I'd love to see that and if I'm wrong I stand corrected about what I said up there

edit: to the people replying to me, I don't have examples that I remember off the top of my head, this is the impression I got from them after watching hours upon hours of their content. I do remember myself thinking "phew, they seem cool", specifically because so many other Youtubers showed themselves to be bigots in the past
the Plinkett TFA review, Wonder Woman and Black Panther. To name a few.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this isn't the best look for them Watched it, and I get where they're coming from, but I don't really agree with the comments on Brie being "nasty" during that one interview and the looking down on paying for little girls to watch the movie.

That being said, I don't see RLM as alt-right or whatever. They ultimately agree with diversity being needed. They just have an awkward way of showing it. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this, but I can understand why others wouldn't.

And I'm not ignoring that Rich Evans clip that's constantly posted. That was years ago and they haven't done it since.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
The thing that annoy me the most is the centric position of rational voice they use in the reviews of movies like CM, Black Panther, WW and TLJ. They talk like they have the correct position and both sides are wrong while saying nothing at all about the movies or themes

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah, this isn't the best look for them Watched it, and I get where they're coming from, but I don't really agree with the comments on Brie being "nasty" during that one interview and the looking down on paying for little girls to watch the movie.

That being said, I don't see RLM as alt-right or whatever. They ultimately agree with diversity being needed. They just have an awkward way of showing it. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this, but I can understand why others wouldn't.

And I'm not ignoring that Rich Evans clip that's constantly posted. That was years ago and they haven't done it since.

What's irritating is that unlike Jahns or Struckmann, who come off as "Both Siding" to appease conservative fans for $, the RLM crew seem to believe this whole heartedly in their reviews.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
But they are right. Brie Larsson talked nonsense with "Wringle in the time is not meant for white middle aged male critics" and so they are not allowed to do their job or what? That's plain stupid and RLM pointed it out

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they are right. Brie Larsson talked nonsense with "Wringle in the time is not meant for white middle aged male critics" and so they are not allowed to do their job or what? That's plain stupid and RLM pointed it out
The Wrinkle In Time thing was my main criticism of Captain Marvel too. I remember thinking in the theater that I hoped the critics would bring it up.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

But it's true. It's not a movie made for them, and that's ok. Movies should be allowed to be made for every demographic. Not that they can't be enjoyed (I like plenty of works which I'm not the target demo) but that being a straight white male isn't the only audience worth making something for.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Except she's right. Sometimes as a white male critic themes and element from poc moviemakes go over my head. Because I didn't live it. We need more diverse voices in criticism so we can have more complete views on movies

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The thing that annoy me the most is the centric position of rational voice they use in the reviews of movies like CM, Black Panther, WW and TLJ. They talk like they have the correct position and both sides are wrong while saying nothing at all about the movies or themes
Has RLM become the South Park of YouTube film criticism?

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
They are right but its such a non-issue this whole Brie-Larson speech shit. Like who cares if she wast posturing? Who cares if she was condescending to white male 40 year old reviewers. Who gives a shit? The problem is the people who care are the sort of fragile white alt-right, "anti-sjw" brigrade on the internet. So Red Letter Media adressing "this elephant in the room" isn't actually helpful. They may indeed be right, I think they are, but ultimtely this completely minor infracton by Brie Larson is being weaponised against tranformation and diversity in Hollywood.

That said their is a bit of puritism in this thread. I do not believe their are any offensive opinions expressed by RLM in this video. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with the idea that middle aged 40 year old white males are less able to appreciate films made about people of other ethniticities and genders. Just relax guys, they even encourage people of other races and genders to become film critiques.

On the issues of brands and social justice I feel Trevor Noah is spot on.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
I love the comedy of RLM... as it pertains to Best of the Worst and reView. If they get even tangentially close to any topic remotely revolving around social issues you can expect some of the most passive aggressive "I'm not a MRA but ugh those fucking shrill feminists", "I'm not a racist, but I have to let you know how annoyed I am anything positive is said about works starring people of color" rants on the internet.

Which sucks, because their actual comedy, when its not laser focused on whining about how "annoying" SJWs are, is fucking on point and their reviews and arguments for movies, even ones they like and I don't or vice versa, are really insightful.

That said, their disdain for Adam Sandler and his films almost makes up for their shitty "both sides" social talking points. Almost.

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the comedy of RLM... as it pertains to Best of the Worst and reView. If they get even tangentially close to any topic remotely revolving around social issues you can expect some of the most passive aggressive "I'm not a MRA but ugh those fucking shrill feminists", "I'm not a racist, but I have to let you know how annoyed I am anything positive is said about works starring people of color" rants on the internet.

Which sucks, because their actual comedy, when its not laser focused on whining about how "annoying" SJWs are, is fucking on point and their reviews and arguments for movies, even ones they like and I don't or vice versa, are really insightful.

That said, their disdain for Adam Sandler and his films almost makes up for their shitty "both sides" social talking points. Almost.
(I'm starting to sound like a broken record at this point, lol) And that it was why it was so hard for me to bin them off. *sigh*

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
They are right but its such a non-issue this whole Brie-Larson speech shit. Like who cares if she wast posturing? Who cares if she was condescending to white male 40 year old reviewers. Who gives a shit? The problem is the people who care are the sort of fragile white alt-right, "anti-sjw" brigrade on the internet. So Red Letter Media adressing "this elephant in the room" isn't actually helpful. They may indeed be right, I think they are, but ultimtely this completely minor infracton by Brie Larson is being weaponised against tranformation and diversity in Hollywood.

That said their is a bit of puritism in this thread. I do not believe their are any offensive opinions expressed by RLM in this video. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with the idea that middle aged 40 year old white males are less able to appreciate films made about people of other ethniticities and genders. Just relax guys, they even encourage people of other races and genders to become film critiques.

Noah is far from clean as an example

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
What controversy, and why did they have to address it ?
One of (if not THE?) biggest movie sites changed their policies due to events surrounding Captain Marvel. This is a big event. WIth their style of "talking shit" youtube vid, it's understandable they'd at least touch on the subject.

No, they aren't right. She wasn't posturing, she was using her power as a face of Marvel & an upcoming mainstream mega-successful movie to enact change within her sphere of influence. She isn't just saying empty words, she has actually given minorities & women more professional opportunities already.

White 40 year old men can appreciate films about different ethnicities & genders but there's still something to being a part of that demographic that gives you more insight & can help you appreciate/see things that a 40 year old nerd can't. You can be an ally and have sympathy towards the issues & hardships minorities & women go through, but if you are not them, then you can never have quite the same insight to those things. You can never quite understand how it feels for some people of colour or a little girl to finally see minority & female superheroes kicking ass (more than once in their life) and not be sidelined for the White Saviours to take the spotlight.

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What controversy, and why did they have to address it?
...um, the "controversy" surrounding the movie? Something to do with Brie Larson and junk. I put controversy in quotes because it's really only controversial to a few people.

Why did they have to address it...I never said they did? I think it's important to talk about things surrounding a movie in their reviews. It's what they do.

Idk this was a weird post don't know why I'm giving it the time but you quoted me so here ya go.

Oct 28, 2017

They also do this weird thing in a lot of their videos where they pretend to not know actors names or certain things in movies. Like did they really not know how to say Djimon Honsou's name?

Oct 28, 2017
What is wrong with thinking Brie comes across with an attitude sometimes? Because honestly, I think she does personally and that has nothing to do with her position on social/political issues. I just think she kinda has a cold demeanor. Pretty much all my real life friends think the same thing. Just my opinion.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
brie larson is right, diversity in any profession is a good thing. Her problem was the point of her message was good, but her delivery was shockingly terrible

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
White 40 year old men can appreciate films about different ethnicities & genders but there's still something to being a part of that demographic that gives you more insight & can help you appreciate/see things that a 40 year old nerd can't.

brie larson is right, diversity in any profession is a good thing. Her problem was the point of her message was good, but her delivery was shockingly terrible

They flat out agree with this in the video. Jay brings up hearing a different perspective on CandyMan and how it allowed him to see the movie in a different light.

Oct 25, 2017
People can point to the Half in the Bag moments for the last several years, from Age of Ultron to Wonder Woman and so on, and say it's an act or whatever, so since no one watched Pre-Rec, here's Rich on the Women's March.

"Cry babies having a fit"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What is wrong with thinking Brie comes across with an attitude sometimes? Because honestly, I think she does personally and that has nothing to do with her position on social/political issues. I just think she kinda has a cold demeanor. Pretty much all my real life friends think the same thing. Just my opinion.
How much you wanna bet to this just being a subtle variant of "she needs to smile more" without you realizing it?

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
User banned (5 days): gendered derogatory language, casual sexism
Yup exactly this.

She has what i call "Jennifer Lawrence Syndrome".

Both really sympathetic during the early years of their careers but the more famous and popular they became the more attitude they got that comes off often as arrogant and bitchy.