• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
After more thought and consideration, I get why people are frustrated with RLM's characterization of Brie Larson and the general situation. Their criticism basically misses the forest for the trees.

I've also not been in a good mental state and feeling a bit nihilistic. A friend passed away on Tuesday so I've been feeling a bit of that "nothing matters" mindset in light of his death.

So, sorry for being obtuse.

<3

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I still watch a lot of RLM content, but have to agree that their blasé attitude towards major issues is disappointing and offputting.

One thing I've noticed is that old RLM actually had a decent amount of female presence that has been completely missing for years now. Of course, there was Jessi Nakles, who I have to assume ended her relationship with Mike and therefore parted ways with the crew.

Even before then Jessi was hounded off appearing in videos because of the creepy fans, so stuck to off-camera duties instead.

Which is a shame as she was great (as were the other female contributors).

Oct 25, 2017
After more thought and consideration, I get why people are frustrated with RLM's characterization of Brie Larson and the general situation. Their criticism basically misses the forest for the trees.

I've also not been in a good mental state and feeling a bit nihilistic. A friend passed away on Tuesday so I've been feeling a bit of that "nothing matters" mindset in light of his death.

Hey, good on you for actually reevaluating your stance. That's honestly something that a lot of people have trouble with.

Sorry about your friend, man. That's never easy.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for coming back and reassessing.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Even before then Jessi was hounded off appearing in videos because of the creepy fans, so stuck to off-camera duties instead.

Which is a shame as she was great (as were the other female contributors).

Remember how they ran out Gillian by aggressively shipping her with Jay? God, what an embarrassment.

Honestly, the RLM fanbase in general is just trash. Hell, I don't know why Jack and Josh stuck around given the consistent abuse they got up until very recently.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Really sorry about your friend, man. That's really awful.

Thanks for coming back.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
A Wrinkle in Time wasn't good. I saw it and barely could squeeze any enjoyment out of it. BUT, some of the good things I did take out about the movie, was that it had a diverse cast and the message was great for a lot of girls (even if badly executed and muddled). I don't know if I count as a diverse voice, being a gay white Mexican man, but I added value to that movie based on my empathy for people not like me that want to watch more movies and representations of themselves in media. And you understand more of what the movie was trying to accomplish if you use that empathy too. It's a valuable movie in that regard, and worth taking it into account. I don't even like Ava Duvernay that much. So I get what Brie Larson was trying to say, even if it did come off like she was saying that AWiT only got bad reviews because men reviewed it. I know she doesn't believe that and that's not what she was saying.

But you just don't see that kind of empathy in RLM or the rest of white male geeks on YouTube, and they are getting less and less relevant by the day with their clumsy tiptoeing around the subject. They act like only their points of view are the objective and standard ones. Worse, a lot of times, it's obvious pandering to their alt-right viewers. There's no need to broach the subject of Brie Larson's comments when doing a review of Captain Marvel. There really isn't, from a purely film critic perspective. The only reason, is because they know it will drive comments and clicks.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
There is a nuanced discussion to be had about all of the shit surrounding this movie, and a productive conversation can be had. It's unfortunate that RLM chose to remain snarky and dismissive, but that's their brand so it's not unexpected.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What abuse did they receive?

Just constantly attacking their character or the authenticity of their reactions. If you remember how Jay was treated to begin with, it's a lot like that. Then there were the people who hated Jack for being more outspokenly progressive, even developing the "AIDSMoby" nickname, and constant accusations of Josh being a "tryhard." It was all very tiresome. You look in the comments section of some of their best BOTW episodes and there are people bemoaning the presence of "AIDSMoby and Beardfat." It's died down mostly, but for a long time it was very insufferable.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
There's things to criticize with this movie, but their take so isn't it. The only good point they made is that "charity for movie tickets" is bad charity. The rest was poor pandering to men angry that women don't pander to men exclusively.

Nothing the actress said was bad, wrong, or mean. It's just that women aren't expected to actually say such stuff. You know, milquetoast stuff like "maybe we should consider other perspectives sometimes".

And no, certain guys of this forum. It's not automatically "satire" and a-ok because their points are absolutely terrible. Their points are absolutely terrible. That's it.

Their review was problematic and certainly not one of their best, but I agree that the idea that diversity is needed in film review is a bit ridiculous.

This take is ridiculous. The lack of diversity is absolutely causing both problems, and bias in reviews as a whole. How can it not?
White men are not automatically the best and most qualified judges of everything. Quite the opposite, many of those do a lot of effort to ensure other voices aren't heard.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Just constantly attacking their character or the authenticity of their reactions. If you remember how Jay was treated to begin with, it's a lot like that. Then there were the people who hated Jack for being more outspokenly progressive, even developing the "AIDSMoby" nickname, and constant accusations of Josh being a "tryhard." It was all very tiresome. You look in the comments section of some of their best BOTW episodes and there are people bemoaning the presence of "AIDSMoby and Beardfat." It's died down mostly, but for a long time it was very insufferable.

Wow, I did not know that, what a shitty community!

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think honestly it's like... if you use the word "virtue signaling" unironically you've lost the benefit of the doubt.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their review was problematic and certainly not one of their best, but I agree that the idea that diversity is needed in film review is a bit ridiculous. Films with minority stars such as Get Out (and now Us), Black Panther, Moonlight and others all received excellent reviews. And the idea that adult reviewers would give kids films bad review, well look at Pixar reviews. Where they need diversity is in Oscar selection and other award shows. The Oscars tend to pick safe films and have an obsession with white saviors (see the Blind Side or the problematic Green Book), whereas reviewers on the RT average tend to like daring films more. Not to say there are no problems with reviewers or RT and other aggregators, it's just that lack of diversity doesn't seem to be causing these problems.
Nah, I don't agree with this. Having diverse viewpoints due to people's backgrounds and upbringings in film criticism is a very good thing.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

I never got that overall vibe, or would dare to look at the YouTube comments section. I wouldn't even consider Jack to be one of the more progressive members.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Nah, I don't agree with this. Having diverse viewpoints due to people's backgrounds and upbringings in film criticism is a very good thing.

Yeah, to me it's just common sense. Straight white men being offended at the notion they CAN'T speak for everyone is the most white guy thing ever.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got that overall vibe, or would dare to look at the YouTube comments section. I wouldn't even consider Jack to be one of the more progressive members.
It's certainly been around for a while. I definitely remember people calling Jack AIDSMoby constantly whenever he was on BOTW.

This video was uploaded in 2016.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The funny thing is if they introduced non white male members they would probably get shit on hard by their own fans

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Progressive is probably not the right word, but he is the most politically outspoken liberally leaning member of the group, given his social media history, and the less savory elements of the fanbase definitely didn't miss that.

The funny thing is if they introduced non white male members they would probably get shit on hard by their own fans

Probably? Almost certainly. Pretty much everyone they introduced to their format was hated at one point. The only one who escaped reproach was Mike, because he voiced the Plinkett character so many of their followers evidently identified strongly with.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still watch a lot of RLM content, but have to agree that their blasé attitude towards major issues is disappointing and offputting.

One thing I've noticed is that old RLM actually had a decent amount of female presence that has been completely missing for years now. Of course, there was Jessi Nakles, who I have to assume ended her relationship with Mike and therefore parted ways with the crew. But, Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst both featured guest reviewers like Lora Story and Gillian Bellinger. And they were all pretty good contributors from what I remember. I don't think there's been a single woman on a RedLetterMedia video since Jessi left years ago.

I recall the second video being pretty NSFW, with a disturbing sexual assault scene from one of the VHS movies, just as a warning. I don't remember much about the first.

They have also several times brought up misogyny and terrible portrayal of women in movies. They seem to drop all of these sentiments though, when they feel criticized.

May 5, 2018
I only recently started watching some of Red Letter's videos. It makes for good background noise when I only want to be semi-engaged. And while I was surprised there was any presence of nuance in their discussions at all, they still maintain a very narrow white male heterosexual viewpoint on things. I mean, just look at their shoes.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of disappointed they didn't go for a longer rant on Milwaukee and run the full video of How to Survive Edge Weapons afterwards (by getting the rights or assuming there isn't anyone to dmca it anyway).

That would have subverted my expectations.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
It's certainly been around for a while. I definitely remember people calling Jack AIDSMoby constantly whenever he was on BOTW.

This video was uploaded in 2016.

Hm. I guess I really just don't read comments sections enough. I posted a few times in the Twitch area, but even then it was chaos and spam commentary.

Progressive is probably not the right word, but he is the most politically outspoken liberally leaning member of the group, given his social media history, and the less savory elements of the fanbase definitely didn't miss that.

I'd consider some of them progressive. I don't follow a ton of YouTube personalities as I mentioned before, but obviously they pale to bleeding heart Masshole Moviebob. I started paying attention to him since he went on local sports radio, and noticed Twitter just has a angry hard on for the guy.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Based on his social media I'd consider Jack to be the most liberal of the group. I want to say he even called out Rich at one point too but I can't find the source anymore.

One thing I've noticed is that old RLM actually had a decent amount of female presence that has been completely missing for years now. Of course, there was Jessi Nakles, who I have to assume ended her relationship with Mike and therefore parted ways with the crew. But, Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst both featured guest reviewers like Lora Story and Gillian Bellinger. And they were all pretty good contributors from what I remember. I don't think there's been a single woman on a RedLetterMedia video since Jessi left years ago.

I recall the second video being pretty NSFW, with a disturbing sexual assault scene from one of the VHS movies, just as a warning. I don't remember much about the first.

Yeah one thing I've definitely noticed is the complete lack of female presence in their newer content

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shit happens. Nobody is perfect, and nobody fully gets everything all the time ever. It's good that you're able to show some introspection, and more importantly showcase it publicly-- that's rare, and dserves to be praised.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's safe to say that Mike and Rich are the audience favorites of the RLM crew, and not just for the reason that they were the central figures of the Plinkett stuff but mainly now because they are the most crass of the crew. Their type of humor and talk are the most suspect and maintain the low bar that pleases a certain contingent of their audience. To a lesser extent Jay does this too and goes along with Mike and Rich, but I have a feeling that he's not as warmly embraced by the fanbase because he's A) slightly more left-leaning than Rich and Mike and B) Jay regularly goes into film "snob" mode by referencing obscure arthouse films and directors, which is a quality that again outside of Re:View is usually mocked. Jack and Josh are definitely the most progressive, and surprise, they are the least favorite.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Thanks for checking back into the thread and thanks for sharing man. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I get that RLM have made some questionable off-hand comments over the years, but the fervor with which some people insist on trying to create a narrative of them as alt-right adjacent or something is incredibly persistent and I've never considered them anything but mostly anti-corporate liberal-ish people who don't care much about politics. If anything, their insistence on trying to remain "apolitical" as much as possible is much worse than them trying to appear as centrists - and in any case, all they usually say in these situations is "Stop fucking giving accolades to mega-corporations for their superficial wokeness" which is more or less the thrust of the most recent hbomberguy video that got next to no play here because what some people hate more than anything is being told "consumption isn't activism, and actually consumerism is bad."

The way people have morphed "they commented on it briefly in a much larger review of the film" into "they went on for an extended period ranting about it!" really exaggerates what actually occurred.
I wonder how HBomberguy feels about his video being used as a cudgel to attack any kind of minority representation in media.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
There's moments in their argument where I can kinda see what they're trying to say. I think they're attempting to criticize Brie Larsons defense of Captain Marvel, by critiquing that it's not a movie that's all great, and that her adamance could be interpreted as her being defensive about a mediocre movie.

However telling people how they should talk about things is always a landmine to traverse, and more often than not RLM comes off as extremely flippant in the video. The biggest example is criticizing her of saying women of color have it hard. The woman was interviewing her. And really she was stating a fact, it's not like she was speaking for a group of people.

They also heavily critiqued how she carries herself. Which I thought was a bit odd since she seemed fine in the clips of her speaking at the podium, and the interview. The one where she's doing a video for a clickbait "type your name into google" is kind of understandable and also, who cares because it's a 4-5 minute clickbait video. She was just doing a bit.

They're on the money of the actual movie itself though. It's a rather weak offering after I'd say a nearly unbroken chain of great movies for the MCU. I'd even wager to say Wonder Woman did the powerful heroic woman film far better than CM did.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Look at this way,

Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo are far more outspoken with their opinions.

Yet, only Brie Larson gets this much poison aimed at her?

Like come on now. Either you don't like it when a woman speaks her mind or you're foolishly falling for the alt right bullshit.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how HBomberguy feels about his video being used as a cudgel to attack any kind of minority representation in media.

I'd feel less sad about it if it weren't clear that that was obviously going to happen if he didn't temper the cynicism a little bit and he triiiiiiiiiied but didn't really make it clear enough

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

What is with this debate and people taking literally the most uncharitable interpretation of anything that's said in incredibly kind, mostly-agreeing disagreement? I'm not attacking "any kind of minority representation in media" just because I'm pointing out that people should be less totally uncritical of faces of billion-dollar enterprises coming out and making completely benign feel-good statements, that's it.

What I'm trying to state outright is just this: Movies aren't politics, politics is politics. I support social justice causes and most of the people involved, I don't think what Brie Larson is wrong, and RLM using the word "bratty" hit me a little wrong in a way that I think is gross, but these movies are not something people should be this emotionally invested in one way or another because they're just movies. It's genuinely gotten scary how long these arguments go on for. They'll be forgotten in a few years - there's superhero movies every time you turn around now, they come out about as often as Titanfall 2 goes on sale. Diverting any real energy into this kind of thing I just think is misplaced if not genuinely emotionally unhealthy.

At the same time though I don't think RLM is particularly egregious on this topic and at best makes misplaced comments tied in with some language ("bratty") that they should cut down on, but the opening framing of this entire situation was incredibly disingenuous - RLM didn't spend 15 minute unhingedly ranting about the evils of diversity, they just kind of whined about Larson being sarcastic. They shouldn't be put on the same standard as the genuine lunatics of YouTube that made video after video talking about how Larson is an evil SJW and called for a boycott. So the fact that this thread basically got nearly 20 pages off of like a two minute conversation where the worst that happened is they were weirdly condescending to who is a pretty good actress is just totally wild to me when the hbomberguy video in question got almost no traction here at all when I first read about it.

I think people are too happy to fly off the handle these days because the world political situation sucks and everyone wants to turn all their personal interests into political signifiers - because that's something you can change and have a direct impact on when you otherwise feel powerless to stop, well, fascists. People should be cautious not to turn what they spend most of their time arguing about in relation to politics to be so superficial - because yes, that is actually what these media corps are also quite happy with, not to mention the actual fascists themselves.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Like I said, I don't understand why these conversations make everyone assume the literal worst about what anyone involved says. Some people are trying to pretend or whatever, but I'm not one of those people so genuinely, please stop assuming I'm trying to legitimize harassment or belittling of Brie Larson.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
6sPrzhY.png

Just replace "racist" with "sexist" or "I agree" lol

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think people are too happy to fly off the handle these days because the world political situation sucks and everyone wants to turn all their personal interests into political signifiers - because that's something you can change and have a direct impact on when you otherwise feel powerless to stop, well, fascists. People should be cautious not to turn what they spend most of their time arguing about in relation to politics to be so superficial - because yes, that is actually what these media corps are also quite happy with, not to mention the actual fascists themselves.
You're absolutely right, comics never had anything political to them before this decade. And would you look at SciFi? Only political messages now, totally different from the the good ole days when there never was anything political about science fiction.
Heck no one cared about any message any film carried before and now it's a big deal!

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, I don't understand why these conversations make everyone assume the literal worst about what anyone involved says. Some people are trying to pretend or whatever, but I'm not one of those people so genuinely, please stop assuming I'm trying to legitimize harassment or belittling of Brie Larson.
I mean, you're almost there. You say RLM spends a lot of time punching at Brie Larson's sarcasm. You must also realize that RLM is where it is thanks to Mike putting out multi-hour reviews of films that are 100% sarcasm. He's famous for it. RLM's Brand is "sarcastic assholes"

But somehow Brie is wrong for the one time she quipped about diversity in the people covering her press tour.

If you don't want to be seen as someone covering for sexist bullshit, then understand that at minimum there's a fat, rotten sexist as fuck double-standard here in how RLM treat the way Larson talks.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I love how someone say this movies are not politic after Thor Ragnarok being a giant middlefinger to colonialism made by a native from new zeland, Black Panther was Black Panther and Captain Marvel
Pro refuges mensage

Yeah corporations are not your friend and every move they made ate calculated but those are still movies written and directed by people and sometimes they manage to have things to say

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
There's moments in their argument where I can kinda see what they're trying to say. I think they're attempting to criticize Brie Larsons defense of Captain Marvel, by critiquing that it's not a movie that's all great, and that her adamance could be interpreted as her being defensive about a mediocre movie.

However telling people how they should talk about things is always a landmine to traverse, and more often than not RLM comes off as extremely flippant in the video. The biggest example is criticizing her of saying women of color have it hard. The woman was interviewing her. And really she was stating a fact, it's not like she was speaking for a group of people.

They also heavily critiqued how she carries herself. Which I thought was a bit odd since she seemed fine in the clips of her speaking at the podium, and the interview. The one where she's doing a video for a clickbait "type your name into google" is kind of understandable and also, who cares because it's a 4-5 minute clickbait video. She was just doing a bit.

They're on the money of the actual movie itself though. It's a rather weak offering after I'd say a nearly unbroken chain of great movies for the MCU. I'd even wager to say Wonder Woman did the powerful heroic woman film far better than CM did.
They're still problematic (yeah I used THAT word, deal with it) as fuck as long as they're hyper focused on politics when a movie with a female protagonist ends up being mediocre.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if they'd just kept their comments about the movie like they do when a movie about a white dude turns out mediocre.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is with this debate and people taking literally the most uncharitable interpretation of anything that's said in incredibly kind, mostly-agreeing disagreement? I'm not attacking "any kind of minority representation in media" just because I'm pointing out that people should be less totally uncritical of faces of billion-dollar enterprises coming out and making completely benign feel-good statements, that's it.

What I'm trying to state outright is just this: Movies aren't politics, politics is politics. I support social justice causes and most of the people involved, I don't think what Brie Larson is wrong, and RLM using the word "bratty" hit me a little wrong in a way that I think is gross, but these movies are not something people should be this emotionally invested in one way or another because they're just movies. It's genuinely gotten scary how long these arguments go on for. They'll be forgotten in a few years - there's superhero movies every time you turn around now, they come out about as often as Titanfall 2 goes on sale. Diverting any real energy into this kind of thing I just think is misplaced if not genuinely emotionally unhealthy.

At the same time though I don't think RLM is particularly egregious on this topic and at best makes misplaced comments tied in with some language ("bratty") that they should cut down on, but the opening framing of this entire situation was incredibly disingenuous - RLM didn't spend 15 minute unhingedly ranting about the evils of diversity, they just kind of whined about Larson being sarcastic. They shouldn't be put on the same standard as the genuine lunatics of YouTube that made video after video talking about how Larson is an evil SJW and called for a boycott. So the fact that this thread basically got nearly 20 pages off of like a two minute conversation where the worst that happened is they were weirdly condescending to who is a pretty good actress is just totally wild to me when the hbomberguy video in question got almost no traction here at all when I first read about it.

The problem with this argument is that it ignores fairy observable trends of representation in consumer media and entertainment. It's actually really frustrating for someone to marginalize one being invested in seeing a representation of yourself consumed by the masses. What it does for the mental health of a significant portion of our society.

It's just like...have you talked to little girls after seeing Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel? Black and/or Latino children after Spiderverse? I just don't see how you can make this argument that being invested in the diversity of big corporate media entertainment is a net loss. I honestly don't see how you can say that if you have seen how these historic movies in the past few years have impacted children and adults. I honestly don't.

That doesn't mean you can't have a conversation about corporatism or capitalism but I have yet to see a convincing argument that completely rejects that people be invested in a billion dollar grossing, $200M budget film because fuck big corporations I guess

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're still problematic (yeah I used THAT word, deal with it) as fuck as long as they're hyper focused on politics when a movie with a female protagonist ends up being mediocre.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if they'd just kept their comments about the movie like they do when a movie about a white dude turns out mediocre.

sorry guys, we gotta let white dudes lay claim to mediocrity as their territory

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I mean, you're almost there. You say RLM spends a lot of time punching at Brie Larson's sarcasm. You must also realize that RLM is where it is thanks to Mike putting out multi-hour reviews of films that are 100% sarcasm. He's famous for it. RLM's Brand is "sarcastic assholes"

But somehow Brie is wrong for the one time she quipped about diversity in the people covering her press tour.

If you don't want to be seen as someone covering for sexist bullshit, then understand that at minimum there's a fat, rotten sexist as fuck double-standard here in how RLM treat the way Larson talks.

The reason they were irritated at her sarcasm is clearly motivated by sexism, there's absolutely no reason to deny that and I definitely never intended to, so I apologize. I see no reason to get super defensive here - I want people to actually understand what I meant.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason they were irritated at her sarcasm is clearly motivated by sexism, there's absolutely no reason to deny that and I definitely never intended to, so I apologize. I see no reason to get super defensive here - I want people to actually understand what I meant.

Now ask yourself how your point can even exist detatched from this walkback. Because I'm not seeing it. You either gotta walk back the whole thing or none of it, because it's all connected.