• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you read the comments -- I know, mistake -- a lot of people on that video really seem to not understand when she's joking and actually think she's offended or outraged (like a snowflake!) when she says "is that like a personal attack or something" in response to the search question "would brie larson workout." Whereas I just thought it was literally the kind of answer my friends or I might give in response to a question like that.

I guess we're just smug and smarmy bitches.

But you can imagine, for instance, Chris Pratt answering a lot of those questions exactly the same and it being considered charming. Because men can engage in a certain style of dry humor and it's clear that it's meant to be funny and welcoming, even slightly self-deprecating, whereas when a woman does exactly the same thing people assume she believes herself to be superior.

You don't even have to look very far. Samuel L Jackson would probably talked and sounded like the way she did, and then some but no one will go after him for being smug. It's the same on gaming side where female devs saying something that sounded offensive = "she should be fired" but rarely do you see anyone call out Kamiya for asking fans to fuck off.
He's just being so entertaining

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Those aren't the memes in prequel discourse these days. JarJar is pretty well disliked even defenders don't try to argue the point.
No they are the memes these days and thank god for that.
the memes about the prequel destroyed the actor's life and the child actor playing Anakin as well.
I'll take the current discourse over the toxic mess we had before.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even have to look very far. Samuel L Jackson would probably talked and sounded like the way she did, and then some but no one will go after him for being smug. It's the same on gaming side where female devs saying something that sounded offensive = "she should be fired" but rarely do you see anyone call out Kamiya for asking fans to fuck off.

Ugh, I remember one thread (I'm sure this has happened multiple times) where a female dev basically said "I know what I'm doing, stay in your lane" to some pushy dude who wanted her to incorporate XYZ change in a game and people were sipping that "but she was impolite, you can't be mean to fans/customers!" juice when Kamiya's whole deal is being sarcastic, rude, and blocking people on the very same social media platform. Really annoying.

It's just such a bummer that many people try not to acknowledge their opinions about how women deliver messages, everything from tone to actual content, can be worlds different than how they'd perceive it for men and that it's very damaging and hindering for women who just want to say stuff without walking on eggshells. See: numerous articles about men having literal screaming outbursts in office meetings and being labeled passionate while women will firmly tell someone to get some work finished and be labeled bitchy, emotional, mean, etc.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
If you couldn't peg these guys from a while away, I don't know what to tell you. They also have terrible taste in film and stick to the most surface level Kevin Smith bullshit youtuber levels of criticism anyway. Completely worthless

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

I bet a lot of these guys criticise the movie for having flaws they conviniently ignored also existed in Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther and all the other standarized Marvel movies.

Oct 25, 2017
I think RLM created a culture around the prequels that basically made the conversation dead. Anyone who likes the prequels or aspects of them were dismissed out of hand for the longest time.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I think RLM created a culture around the prequels that basically made the conversation dead. Anyone who likes the prequels or aspects of them were dismissed out of hand for the longest time.

Prequel bashing didn't start with the Plinkett review, those movies were god awful and discussed at length everywhere on the Internet way before the RLM review.

Oct 25, 2017
Prequel bashing didn't start with the Plinkett review, those movies were god awful and discussed at length everywhere on the Internet way before the RLM review.

I never claimed it did. I said a culture developed around the RLM videos where people don't actually have opinions on the movies, they have links to RLM videos. Before RLM's Plinkett reviews, the discussion surrounding the prequels was not as antagonistic as it was after the videos.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
This is the Q & A Brie Larson did to promote CM that RLM were criticising her about.

Maybe they were going for satire, but this all fell flat.

I like how they specifically played her "is that a personal insult?" right after showing the "is Brie Larson a gamer?" question.

Scrutinizing something as innocuous as this video is the epitome of being a shitty straight white dude.

Oct 25, 2017
People don't like to recognize this for some reason

People also don't like to recognize that I wasn't claiming that it started with RLM apparently. My post went to great lengths to make the point that the conversation wasn't about prequel bashing or the perceived quality of the film, but rather the discussion surrounding the quality of the film dying out. As someone who personally disliked the prequels and still do before the RLM videos, I already know that they were not critical darlings. The discussion surrounding them however was a lot more interesting.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
People also don't like to recognize that I wasn't claiming that it started with RLM apparently. My post went to great lengths to make the point that the conversation wasn't about prequel bashing or the perceived quality of the film, but rather the discussion surrounding the quality of the film dying out. As someone who personally disliked the prequels and still do before the RLM videos, I already know that they were not critical darlings. The discussion surrounding them however was a lot more interesting.
I wasn't referring to you, many people have claimed that RLM created prequel criticism when they were already hated and ripped apart online beforehand.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I never claimed it did. I said a culture developed around the RLM videos where people don't actually have opinions on the movies, they have links to RLM videos. Before RLM's Plinkett reviews, the discussion surrounding the prequels was not as antagonistic as it was after the videos.

Saying people now just post a link instead of in-depth argue to why it's bad seems to be less antagonistic, actually.

Honestly I don't remember much of discussion defending of these movies on gaming forums when they came out, so I don't know where you were to say it was more civil discourse back then.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People link to the videos because they can say things better than any of us can.

Oct 25, 2017
Saying people now just post a link instead of in-depth argue to why it's bad seems to be less antagonistic, actually.

Honestly I don't remember much of discussion defending of these movies on gaming forums when they came out, so I don't know where you were to say it was more civil discourse back then.

Obviously incivility has always been a problem, but there was far more a nuanced discussion I've found. I've had friends who liked the prequels before RLM and grew to despise them.

I'm not talking about civility, I'm talking about interest. It's a boring discussion to just parrot what RLM says. That's not RLM's fault, but more of a culture problem.

People link to the videos because they can say things better than any of us can.

That sounds boring and I feel bad for people who believe that. There's more to talk about surrounding the prequels than can fit in a few videos.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Obviously incivility has always been a problem, but there was far more a nuanced discussion I've found. I've had friends who liked the prequels before RLM and grew to despise them.

I'm not talking about civility, I'm talking about interest. It's a boring discussion to just parrot what RLM says. That's not RLM's fault, but more of a culture problem.

I think the Plinkett reviews simply showed that the emperor had no clothes.

You see a movie once and don't really think about it, maybe you even thought Yoda flipping around was badass at 14 (I know I didn't). Watching someone ratfuck minute details about these messy movies was hilarious, and ultimately revealed how they were even more hollow than you could have imagined.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I watched part of it, but when they started to go on about what she said, like she's been kicking over soap boxes and shouting (which, she didn't) I lost interest in anything they had to say and stopped watching. They may have agreed with her intent beyond what I saw, but I didn't care at that point. They're responding to how annoying it all was, distorting everything.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
I'm not even going to give them a view if they spend half the video on an asinine rant. Which sucks for me cause I actually fuck with RLM.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
As for the review, I watched it earlier (save for the spoilery parts about the movie itself) it feels like their biggest problem comes down to general lack of empathy. The argument against 'corporate wokeness' I can see some validity in, but to be dismissive of little girls finally having a super hero to look up to (when so many little boys have a whole pantheon of options) demonstrates a complete inability to just see things from someone else's perspective.

Then to go on and rail on Brie for random interviews and events? The Google one especially. Like who the hell cares about how actors appear in press stuff? You could probably dig up interviews with Keanu Reaves where he seems completely uniterested and aloof, and by most accounts he's one of the most genuine people in Hollywood. I don't recall them ever doing anything like that with another movie lead.

As for the Rich videos..yikes.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Their takedown of the Star Wars prequels also created an internet culture of hate towards everything associated with the prequels including actors long before internet toxicity was a thing people discussed.

As much as I'm not going to defend RLM on a lot of things for a lot of reasons. The Plinket Reviews however did state to leave at least Hayden Christianson alone because he wasn't a bad actor and his performance was more a fault of bad direction and rewrites done literally an hour before he performed them.

If people went after the actors after the Plinket reviews it wasn't because they encouraged it in the reviews.

Hell the Plinket reviews started with Star Trek Generations and no one went after the Next Gen cast after that.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Came in here expecting some form of discussion about the corporatization of feminism that resulted in a lot of the media buzz surrounding this movie, but just got a bunch of people calling RLM irrelevant idiots, so I guess I'll just dip then.

Ahh yes when these dudes dedicate significant time shitting on Brie Larson it's because they're concerned about the co-option of feminism, a movement clearly so dear to their hearts, by Capitalism.

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Came in here expecting some form of discussion about the corporatization of feminism that resulted in a lot of the media buzz surrounding this movie, but just got a bunch of people calling RLM irrelevant idiots, so I guess I'll just dip then.

oh good god, most ridiculous red herring I've seen in awhile

but go on, keep co-opting the conversation around corporations co-opting feminism for the purpose of undercutting Captain Marvel and defending a group of white dudes

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You think Hayden Christensen is getting MORE shit for the Prequels than he did 10 years ago?
Or Nathalie Portman?
What's life like in Bizarro world?

A majority of people enjoyed the prequels when it came out.

Stop acting like they didn't. The hype for episode III was huge, clone wars was rad, KOTOR just came out etc...

Hardcore nerds were whining about teen Anakin but everybody was fucking fine with Episode III.

It's later on and more recently that Hayden is being shit on 24/7 whenever Anakin is brought up.

Just look how everyone reacts at Hayden in Episode 6 or a return in episode 9 "no keep him the fuck out of it" etc...

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh yes when these dudes dedicate significant time shitting on Brie Larson it's because they're concerned about the co-option of feminism, a movement clearly so dear to their hearts, by Capitalism.
yZPF4C2.gif

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like some of their stuff, but when it comes to social and diversity issues fuck'em. They are a clear cut example of that white male privilege they themselves like to ignore. Jay is the least problematic of the three main dudes, he's pretty much the only one that kinda hits the brakes when the other two are trying to go full racist or sexist.

Half in the Bag has kinda became their worst content as well.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This is such an awful review. I just need to reemphasize how fucking stupid as shit their stance is about her. They sound exactly like the annoying white dudes that miss the point of any diversity discussion that make speeches like the one Brie Larson gave so necessary.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
RLM, the gatekeepers of feminism

Also RLM: the women's march is a meaningless waste of time hosted and executed by crybabies

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I listened to the whole thing and it was insufferable.

I can't believe I used to like these dips...

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, if you ask me why i think the prequels are absolutely dreadful and broken examples of film making, the Plinkett reviews are indeed a very exhaustive and indepth resource for why that is. There is pretty much nothing i can say that hasn't been covered in there or do they otherwise contain much that i disagree with. If anything, as someone who doesn't really care much about Star Wars as a brand, i'd be even less charitable than they were.

And i strongly disagree that the perception of those movies was not as negative before that RLM video. I saw TPM at the cinema. That shit was booed and laughed at. For years i met no one irl who like those turds. If anything, with the temporal distance came a certain memey cult appreciation that wasn't there at the time.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Don't worry!
We can have that discussion now ! =D

...are you against the corporatization of feminism? I think the media, brands and art only have to win if they are ruled by a feminist ideal.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A majority of people enjoyed the prequels when it came out.

That's 100% not true. They were poorly received, critically, and amongst the fan base, almost right off the bat.

Still made buckets of cash though.

It's okay to like them, I don't, but you can't pretend that they somehow went from good to bad as time grew on. They went from bad to worse lol.

Either way, I don't know how Star Wars somehow creeped it's way into this thread...unless it's about red letter media making wildly anti-female and ignorant statements for female leads.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I steadily transition away from hardcore nerd culture commentators, RLM is really just not worth my time anymore. They frequently do this with any kind of movie with female leads or some kind of culture clash surrounding it. They did it with Ghostbusters, and they're doing it with Captain Marvel, and it's peppered throughout their output in general.

It's not even that I mind their criticisms of the movies themselves--Ghostbusters sucked hard, and Captain Marvel has a ton of major problems (although I largely enjoyed it and absolutely loved certain parts of it), but it's this very thing of spending more time sticking the thumb in the eye of "SJW" types than actually talking about the movie that has become totally unpalatable for me. See, especially, they're bullshit The Last Jedi video, wherein they seem to feel obligated to both continue their schtick of criticizing non-original trilogy star wars movies and take the opportunity to bitch about diversity or whatever.

They're smart guys, and sometimes their critiques are pretty amusing, but ultimately they just aren't aren't that interesting or worthwhile. And while I do enjoy the background noise of some of their Re:view bits, I really need to just stay away altogether, as I often find myself forgetting this tendency they have and being blindsided by thinly veiled sexism whenever something like these movies are talked about.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's 100% not true. They were poorly received, critically, and amongst the fan base, almost right off the bat.

Still made buckets of cash though.

It's okay to like them, I don't, but you can't pretend that they somehow went from good to bad as time grew on. They went from bad to worse lol.

Either way, I don't know how Star Wars somehow creeped it's way into this thread...unless it's about red letter media making wildly anti-female and ignorant statements for female leads.

If you're telling me people were hating on Revenge of the sith you're straight out lying.

Phantom Menace was pretty much split it's attack of the clone that got a lot of negative feedback. RoTS was not considered horrible by the fans.

At least not that I've seen, and everyone was hype as hell at celebrations, with the merch, and all the side stuff like the cartoons comics etc...

That was a good time.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're telling me people were hating on Revenge of the sith you're straight out lying.

Phantom Menace was pretty much split it's attack of the clone that got a lot of negative feedback. RoTS was not considered horrible by the fans.

At least not that I've seen, and everyone was hype as hell at celebrations, with the merch, and all the side stuff like the cartoons comics etc...

That was a good time.
Till this day I still think younger kids enjoy the prequels the most. From my experience at least

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Revenge of the Sith wasn't good, it was just after I and II we accepted it.

The prequels have always been the butt of jokes for Star Wars fans, since their release.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
If you read the comments -- I know, mistake -- a lot of people on that video really seem to not understand when she's joking and actually think she's offended or outraged (like a snowflake!) when she says "is that like a personal attack or something" in response to the search question "would brie larson workout." Whereas I just thought it was literally the kind of answer my friends or I might give in response to a question like that.

I guess we're just smug and smarmy bitches.

Yep. I've seen the media and many interviews with Brie and she comes of as likable. She's not an asshole in anything, she just gets angry sometimes. CM spoilers
Circa control your emotions becoming meta.
Tony Stark and Dr. Strange was more of a genuine asshole within the first ten minutes of their first movies than Carol ever was in all of hers.

But you can imagine, for instance, Chris Pratt answering a lot of those questions exactly the same and it being considered charming. Because men can engage in a certain style of dry humor and it's clear that it's meant to be funny and welcoming, even slightly self-deprecating, whereas when a woman does exactly the same thing people assume she believes herself to be superior.

Exactly!

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so tired of these crybaby assholes who can't stand when the world doesn't revolve around them. Fucking hell.