• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you lot want to shut the fuck about Star Wars. That's not what this thread is about. Stop fucking derailing.
Either way, I don't know how Star Wars somehow creeped it's way into this thread...unless it's about red letter media making wildly anti-female and ignorant statements for female leads.
So people can sidestep the actual topic, and derail the thread.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Do you lot want to shut the fuck about Star Wars. That's not what this thread is about. Stop fucking derailing.

So people can sidestep the actual topic, and derail the thread.
RLM is pretty linked with Star Wars from what I can tell, since many people seem to have become fans since their Plinkett prequel reviews, and that cynical take on Star Wars is what fans expect from them in a nutshell.

I don't think it's surprising that it came up, it's just that Star Wars in itself is a can of worms these days that derails discussion.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, let's make it relevant. Uhhh...

Seeing Rich Evans' misogynist views really casts the Plinkett reviews in a new light eh
If you referring to the Plinkett sketch segments. No, it doesn't at all.

They're not related to their shitty, hurr durr SJWs. Bullshit, at all.
RLM is pretty linked with Star Wars from what I can tell, since many people seem to have become fans since their Plinkett prequel reviews, and that cynical take on Star Wars is what fans expect from them in a nutshell.

I don't think it's surprising that it came up, it's just that Star Wars in itself is a can of worms these days that derails discussion.
I'm well aware of their link to SW.

Unless you're bringing up their takes on TFA and TLJ. Then there's no relevance in mentioning the prequel trilogy in this thread.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty gross look. I don't understand what makes people lash out so harshly against this actress. It seemed like her point was pretty harmless, just a wish for wider representation in film criticism.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty gross look. I don't understand what makes people lash out so harshly against this actress. It seemed like her point was pretty harmless, just a wish for wider representation in film criticism.
tumblr_pmqumeWK4B1vqmva1_500.jpg

Last edited:

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
This is pretty standard lefty stuff... Not really MRA shit. I would recommend really watching the entirety of what they are trying to say.

I'll summarize:
- They are critical of people attaching social justice concerns to a massive corporate film. Both those on Youtube who make dozens of videos shitting on the film or Larson and those who feel like the movie is important.
- Mention the charity thing that gave tickets to underprivileged kids to go see the movie as an example of faux wokeness.
- They center most of the criticism of Larson specifically due to a speech she made at a conference that they think came from her realizing she's not a black woman and thus not the lowest on the totem pole of having to struggle so she decides to shit on white male film critics and how they give negative reviews to films like A Wrinkle in Time. "These movies aren't for them" is what she says. This is the main focus of this part of the video. The main thing they take issue with here is someone using lack of representation as an excuse for a movie doing poorly (they show images of white men giving Larson's films positive reviews).
- They say that having more voices in film criticism is good and that their is probably a kernel of what she was trying to say. They sight the documentary about the history of African Americans in horror and how it presented ideas that Jay would never have thought of. Basically they think she framed it all wrong.
- Film criticism is the least important thing in the whole world on the scale of social justice. They namedrop films like Tangerine as movies that would be worthy of this level of discourse. Films that got great reviews from white men.

I don't think the RLM guys are perfect, but there has been this weird conflating them with alt-right people.
People should either actually watch the video or read this post because holy shit people in this thread are acting like RLM just denounced feminism when that isn't at all what happened.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
People should either actually watch the video or read this post because holy shit people in this thread are acting like RLM just denounced feminism when that isn't at all what happened.

Exactly this.

I tend to roll my eyes whenever there's an RLM thread here. I don't agree with their stances on Ghostbusters 2016 or Star Wars, or Captain Marvel, but none of it is worth getting self righteously angry about. They're guys who can deconstruct films and provide solid analysis, they're not infallible experts who need to be taken down a peg or two and you don't gain anything by being borderline obsessed by their views.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Exactly this.

I tend to roll my eyes whenever there's an RLM thread here. I don't agree with their stances on Ghostbusters 2016 or Star Wars, or Captain Marvel, but none of it is worth getting self righteously angry about. They're guys who can deconstruct films and provide solid analysis, they're not infallible experts who need to be taken down a peg or two and you don't gain anything by being borderline obsessed by their views.

It's a subject they are passionate about, nobody forced them to do this. They have influence and this is a subject with infects every part of Hollywood. It's not like they were just being apathetic for clicks, like Struckmann and Jahns.

I saw the video. They barely gave a review of the movie and spent the majority of the time shitting on an actress for daring to fight for equality and diversity in their own industry - which they're supposed to believe in but barely say a sentence or two about agreeing with her statements. Of course people aren't going to like that. This isn't their first time doing this, either.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I watched the video when it was first posted. This summary underplays the extremely suspect words and examples they use to try and dismiss Brie, not to mention their history of saying grotesquely racist or sexist shit.

Oct 25, 2017
If you referring to the Plinkett sketch segments. No, it doesn't at all.

They're not related to their shitty, hurr durr SJWs. Bullshit, at all.

I'm well aware of their link to SW.

Unless you're bringing up their takes on TFA and TLJ. Then there's no relevance in mentioning the prequel trilogy in this thread.

I'm kind of confused why it would be unrelated for a person with deeply misogynist views to not have those views inform the creation process behind a deeply misogynist character.

This is a really funny post when Rich was on video saying that the Women's March was as bad as the Birther Movement

That's about as close as you come to "RLM denouncing feminism" as you can get without them actually saying they denounce lol

Oct 25, 2017
Do people who aren't at all shitty ever use the term "virtue signaling"? Has it not been so co-opted by the alt-right and anyone who wants to undermine progressives that it's completely poisoned so that anyone who still uses it must be kinda shitty?

Note: I am not familiar with the RLM guys at all but I skipped forward to the 11-minute mark and it seemed like they were really looking for things to complain about but maybe that's their shtick.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Do people who aren't at all shitty ever use the term "virtue signaling"? Has it not been so co-opted by the alt-right and anyone who wants to undermine progressives that it's completely poisoned so that anyone who still uses it must be kinda shitty?

Note: I am not familiar with the RLM guys at all but I skipped forward to the 11-minute mark and it seemed like they were really looking for things to complain about but maybe that's their shtick.

It can be used in good faith, yes. It's an actual, legit thing. Not everyone uses it correctly, however.

They are cynical, but generally their reviews are more attuned to the movies they're watching - they usually aren't this bad but this does occur every once and a while. The quality has gone down in this particular vehicle, their RE:Views and Vest of the Worst are the better reviews going on right now. They started off being far more analytical in their Plinkett reviews - minus the sexist bullshit with the main character.

Oct 25, 2017
It can be used in good faith, yes. It's an actual, legit thing. Not everyone uses it correctly, however.
Yeah, I understand that it's a legit term. It's been around for a while, which is why I used the term "co-opted". It doesn't seem to exist online now apart from lazy attempts to discredit/undermine "SJWs" or just people they don't like. At least, that summarizes my recent interactions with it.

If you can edify me with examples of sincere usage, fair enough, but to me it's like the pepe meme. Yeah it used to be funny but now it's so infected with shittiness that maybe we could use something else.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I understand that it's a legit term. It's been around for a while, which is why I used the term "co-opted". It doesn't seem to exist online now apart from lazy attempts to discredit/undermine "SJWs" or just people they don't like. At least, that summarizes my recent interactions with it.

If you can edify me with examples of sincere usage, fair enough, but to me it's like the pepe meme. Yeah it used to be funny but now it's so infected with shittiness that maybe we could use something else.
I'd argue people who bring up the woke brands video every fucking opportunity they get are meta virtue signaling

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue people who bring up the woke brands video every fucking opportunity they get are meta virtue signaling
I'm not saying people don't ACTUALLY "virtue signal". Of course they do. Call it insincere advocacy, call it whatever. I'm just talking about the people who use the term nowadays, though I concede in advance my online experience may be narrow.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

It's primarily been used by the right lately, that's probably what's throwing you. On the left it's not bought up as much, despite being a correct term when made.

Happens here quite often, both in good and bad contexts. People just don't bring it up as it's uncouth or they're not going to listen, regardless - and the fact it has been tainted by the right these days. Which makes it harder to use in context in good faith. It's not supposed to be funny, it's an objective term for a type of messaging.

Oct 25, 2017
It's primarily been used by the right lately, that's probably what's throwing you. On the left it's not bought up as much, despite being a correct term when made.
Yes. This is what I've been saying. :D

Happens here quite often, both in good and bad contexts. People just don't bring it up as it's uncouth or they're not going to listen, regardless - and the fact it has been tainted by the right these days. Which makes it harder to use in context in good faith. It's not supposed to be funny, it's an objective term for a type of messaging.
To be clear, I was talking about examples of the term being used, not examples of virtue signaling.

And I didn't say it's supposed to be funny. I was talking about the pepe meme as an analog.

This has been an unsuccessful conversation, but you seem like a good natured dinosaur and I thank you.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
A majority of people enjoyed the prequels when it came out.

Stop acting like they didn't. The hype for episode III was huge, clone wars was rad, KOTOR just came out etc...

Hardcore nerds were whining about teen Anakin but everybody was fucking fine with Episode III.

It's later on and more recently that Hayden is being shit on 24/7 whenever Anakin is brought up.

Just look how everyone reacts at Hayden in Episode 6 or a return in episode 9 "no keep him the fuck out of it" etc...
Whether or not they liked the prequels or not, they shat on the actor playing JarJar and young Anakin like they were women in a Hollywood blockbuster movie.
Christensen's acting in the prequels was never seen as "fine" or whatever, it was barely tolerated.
No one ever cared about the quality of acting in StarWars before PM came out when it became open season to shit on a child actor.
And again I would still take people shitting on Christensen for his performance than all the vitriol that were sent to JarJar's actor or Young Anakin's actor.
It was an order of magnitude more vicious.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I finally got around to watching the speech she made that "ignited" this controversy and I'm kind of speechless at the mental gymnastics people are trying to use to say that she was shitting on white men.

She clarified about six times that she doesn't hate white men (even though I 100% believe she shouldn't have to) and all she did was call for more diversity in film critique and noted the huge disparity between the diversity of gen pop and the diversity in the pool of top critics. Can someone who isn't sexist actually explain what the issue is without mentioning things that don't exist or are irrelevant? Also please stay away from mentioning her tone since it's incredibly transparent that "woman with opinion" = "harsh tone" to a lot of Brie Larson's critics.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I finally got around to watching the speech she made that "ignited" this controversy and I'm kind of speechless at the mental gymnastics people are trying to use to say that she was shitting on white men.

She clarified about six times that she doesn't hate white men (even though I 100% believe she shouldn't have to) and all she did was call for more diversity in film critique and noted the huge disparity in difference between gen pop and the diversity in the pool of top critics. Can someone who isn't sexist actually explain what the issue is without mentioning things that don't exist or are irrelevant? Also please stay away from mentioning her tone since it's incredibly transparent that "woman with opinion" = "harsh tone" to a lot of Brie Larson's critics.
Let me try --

She's a cold bolded ice queen who should check her mood swings at the door.

Hopefully this brings some clarity to the conversation

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She clarified about six times that she doesn't hate white men (even though I 100% believe she shouldn't have to) and all she did was call for more diversity in film critique and noted the huge disparity in difference between gen pop and the diversity in the pool of top critics. Can someone who isn't sexist actually explain what the issue is without mentioning things that don't exist or are irrelevant? Also please stay away from mentioning her tone since it's incredibly transparent that "woman with opinion" = "harsh tone" to a lot of Brie Larson's critics.
basiclly some people might incorrectly feel that the necessity for diversity in film criticism isn't needed

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Man so many people offended by this movie. Yeah it isn't the best in the MCU but the reasoning behind dumping on the movie is ridiculous.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yes. This is what I've been saying. :D

To be clear, I was talking about examples of the term being used, not examples of virtue signaling.

And I didn't say it's supposed to be funny. I was talking about the pepe meme as an analog.

This has been an unsuccessful conversation, but you seem like a good natured dinosaur and I thank you.

I saw plenty of people on the left call out Mike Pence for virtue signaling when he went to an NFL game specifically so he could indignantly leave after a player knelt for the Anthem, when he knew beforehand that players on those teams had been kneeling for the Anthem at every game and this was all a publicity stunt.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw plenty of people on the left call out Mike Pence for virtue signaling when he went to an NFL game specifically so he could indignantly leave after a player knelt for the Anthem, when he knew beforehand that players on those teams had been kneeling for the Anthem at every game and this was all a publicity stunt.
Ah OK this is a great example, thanks