• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
UPDATE: Going to keep my original post here for posterity, but nothing to see here folks. There's a 6 month grace period and it took my new Switch a few hours to register the saves or something. It all(kinda) works as advertised.

I sold my Switch a few weeks ago, knowing that I was going to be getting a Switch Lite soon. I made sure to back up the saves for EVERYTHING. I was away for a few weeks with no internet and didn't think anything of my sub lapsing(I commonly go where I can't access the internet for periods of time for work). I returned and got a Switch Lite. I renewed my sub to find the Cloud Save Data screen completely empty. So much progress lost(185 hrs in XC2, 125 in FE3H, 70 in LGP, 50 in at least 5 and 30 in 10+ others). At the end of the day, it's my fault for not scrutinizing the shit out of any online service by Nintendo, but there should be some sort of grace period. I just dug through my email and there's a 30 day auto-renewal notice if you have it enabled(which I did before disabling it when I left), but nothing about the subscription ending, and no warning that I can't see a warning anywhere in email or on the system itself about cloud save data immediately being gone. There should be some form of notice in the Save Data Management screen if nothing else. It's possible that this was widespread knowledge and I missed the wave of backlash(I've been gone for about 20 weeks total off and on since the beginning of May).

I made this thread with hopes that I can prevent this happening to anyone else.

TL;DR: If your NSO sub is going to end, make sure you have all of your current saves locally on the machine. They get deleted immediately upon it ending.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KCsoLucky

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Well, that's the irony of it. Because it's paid, it goes away when you don't pay. That's what a paid service is.

The problem isn't the "service disappearing", it's the fact that there's zero grace period. The only place I saw it is on Nintendo's support page. I was looking to see if there was some glaring warning that I just ignored.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The problem isn't the "service disappearing", it's the fact that there's zero grace period. The only place I saw it is on Nintendo's support page. I was looking to see if there was some glaring warning that I just ignored.

Yeah of course, I agree. But if it was a free service it would just be there without stipulation, which would be nicer.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch save backups being handled exclusively through a paid cloud service is such bullshit.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Free cloud saves should be the norm, it's crazy they're not for Nintendo & Sony. I really hope that's something that changes going forward.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo continues to fail at the internet. It's literally laughable how bad they are at it.

bal

Dec 22, 2018
Barcelona
I've done exactly the same as you. but with 6 weeks metween my old one and my Lite, and I could download them all (pokemon pikachu no, it has no cloud service)

I was stucked too because when you go to cloud save menu is just empty, even connected online with your account. but! if you check out the menu in detail, you can see a tiny option to refresh the menu pushing X or Y. push it and will connect and show everything. I found that days after I tried!

This has a common issue: when you enter to the cloud save system menu, it wont update the server info until you do it.
23cXqna.png

Last edited:

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Free cloud saves should be the norm, it's crazy they're not for Nintendo & Sony. I really hope that's something that changes going forward.

Microsoft can do it because they have their own cloud infrastructure (as a small part of their extensive cloud services). Nintendo and Sony rely on other companies, so they likely have less flexibility. Though I guess Steam is in a similar position as Nintendo and Sony, so it might be possible to do it for free or with fewer restrictions.

OP
OP
KCsoLucky

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft can do it because they have their own cloud infrastructure (as a small part of their extensive cloud services). Nintendo and Sony rely on other companies, so they likely have less flexibility. Though I guess Steam is in a similar position as Nintendo and Sony, so it might be possible to do it for free or with fewer restrictions.

Epic, Origin, uPlay, i think even GoG, all of those have cloud save support for free. Nintendo and Sony have more than enough to afford it.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Do you have a link? I assure you that I don't have time to come online making up some bullshit for no reason. I have been searching for an answer for 2 hours and I never saw anything on their site
Either way, not a single save is available for me to download on my system.
OP, have you looked into this? v
I've done exactly the same as you. but with 6 weeks metween my old one and my Lite, and I could download them all (pokemon pikachu no, it has no cloud service)

I was stucked too because when you go to cloud save menu is just empty, even connected online with your account. but! if you check out the menu in detail, you can see a tiny option to refresh the menu pushing X or Y. push it and will connect and show everything. I found that days after I tried!

This has a common issue: when you enter to the cloud save system menu, it wont update the server info until you do it.

OP
OP
KCsoLucky

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017

OP, have you looked into this? v

Yes I saw that and it's one of the first things that I did. Then I cycled power and tried again to a blank screen.

Mind sharing the link that I asked you for instead of just repeating that I'm trolling and linking an ars article?

Sep 25, 2018
Do you have a link? I assure you that I don't have time to come online making up some bullshit for no reason. I have been searching for an answer for 2 hours and I never saw anything on their site

try to refresh like the other guy wrote that sometimes help or contact Nintendo support but it should work after a refresh

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Do what the user bal said. Also make sure you are using the correct Nintendo Account and such. Look at my first comment for a link to Nintendo's support page where they mention that they cannot guarantee save data will be there for an extended period. That extended period seems to be 6 months based on what Nintendo has reported to other publications.

OP
OP
KCsoLucky

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Do what the user bal said. Also make sure you are using the correct Nintendo Account and such. Look at my first comment for a link to Nintendo's support page where they mention that they cannot guarantee save data will be there for an extended period. That extended period seems to be 6 months based on what Nintendo has reported to other publications.

I got a year at launch so there hasn't even been enough time for 6 months to have elapsed. I tried the refreshing. I guess my information was wrong, but I definitely found multiple sources stating that the saves disappeared immediately(could be just an intermittent issue that I and those others are having).

Anyway, going to request this thread locked since apparently my OP is based on bad info. Thanks for the suggestions.......most of you.

Sep 25, 2018
I got a year at launch so there hasn't even been enough time for 6 months to have elapsed. I tried the refreshing. I guess my information was wrong, but I definitely found multiple sources stating that the saves disappeared immediately(could be just an intermittent issue that I and those others are having).

Anyway, going to request this thread locked since apparently my OP is based on bad info. Thanks for the suggestions.......most of you.

you welcome man and I hope you get it sorted out it shouldn't give you all this trouble it Was automatically for me setting up new system

happy early new year

bal

Dec 22, 2018
Barcelona

OH! and remember, if you did not remove your old switch from the primary console in your account, you have to remove it and put the new one as main!

you can check it here: https://en-americas-support.nintend...~/how-to-deactivate-a-nintendo-switch-console on the browser. no console need.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017

If it's not resolved call Nintendo support and report the issue. This should not be happening. Best of luck and here's hoping you get your saves back.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, at least let us know if it worked! If you've done everything right then this should be brought to light. It could be a bug that could effect other people too.

OP
OP
KCsoLucky

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, at least let us know if it worked! If you've done everything right then this should be brought to light. It could be a bug that could effect other people too.

I sure will whenever I get it resolved. If there's some fix that's thread worthy then I'll link this one. I already asked for this to be closed so I don't spread misinformation.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
6mos seems fine especially if they warn you that your saves will be removed.

Obviously cloud saves should just be free. The storage it takes is basically nill while the value to customers is very high. Nintendo just does nothing right with any connected service, they're run like a 1990s technology company. But 6mos after you cancel seems at least an improvement over my expectations with Nintendo and their cloud services. It just seemed very believable that Nintendo immediately deletes everything as soon as your account goes into arrears but I'm glad it seems like this is just a bug or poorly implemented service, not intentional.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
OH! and remember, if you did not remove your old switch from the primary console in your account, you have to remove it and put the new one as main!
I think that's only for purchases (namely which Switch needs to connect to the internet to check if a digital title is being played before starting the game). Cloud saves should be available on all devices regardless which one is primary.

bal

Dec 22, 2018
Barcelona
I think that's only for purchases (namely which Switch needs to connect to the internet to check if a digital title is being played before starting the game). Cloud saves should be available on all devices regardless which one is primary.
It shouuuld be, but don't now. I had trouble with the cloud system too, and one of my first checks was about the primary. Then I found I did not remove my old one...

OP
OP
KCsoLucky

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
New Switch is the primary anyway so that's not the issue. I'm pretty meticulous about that stuff when I get rid of a system(after getting burned by not backing up a YLOD and RROD console). About to contact their support.

OP
OP
KCsoLucky

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
After 4 hours and 6 minutes and me doing absolutely nothing new, my saves are there all of a sudden. I didn't get through to Nintendo support, didn't refresh again, nothing. It was just sitting here with the screen asleep and when I turned it on they all came back.

There should definitely be more information in the UI about what's going on, but either way, everything is fixed. I was going to be pretty salty about the FE3H and Smash saves.

Sep 25, 2018
After 4 hours and 6 minutes and me doing absolutely nothing new, my saves are there all of a sudden. I didn't get through to Nintendo support, didn't refresh again, nothing. It was just sitting here with the screen asleep and when I turned it on they all came back.

There should definitely be more information in the UI about what's going on, but either way, everything is fixed. I was going to be pretty salty about the FE3H and Smash saves.

told you it work automatically

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I thought you meant thousands of hours lost...

psssh.

Well yeah, but if you've paid for what should be a free service they should keep it for a while at least. Even PSN's 6 months seem too little.

Why should a business trying to make money give you free things again???

It is not free for them to store it so it shouldn't be free for you to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.