• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Guy is completely nuts! I can't believe how much this contrasts with his older stuff, politically.

Also, what's up with comedians and their "I should be able to joke about anything" mantra? To me it just sounds like "I wanna say what I want without having to deal with consequences or criticism!"

Like, yeah, you can tell a joke about anything, but that doesn't automatically make it funny. Tell shit jokes, get shit on. How do some people not get that?
(Edited because more thoughts lol)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Guy is completely nuts! I can't believe how much this contrasts with his older stuff, politically.

Also, what's up with comedians and their "I should be able to joke about anything" mantra? To me it just sounds like "I wanna say what I want without having to deal with consequences or criticism!"

They should be able to joke about anything.

The joke just gotta be good.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns of Transphobia
Is the Sam Kinnison Africa bit horrible now? Those kids were real people too.

I've never been a huge Louis fan.. but Let's be real.. this is just piling on because people aren't satisfied he is still allowed to do comedy. But he will always be allowed to do comedy. This doesn't even raise eyebrows in a comedy club.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

It's hilarious because you're doing the thing The Kree does with burner accounts and trolls except with an established user, so hilarious, we're all waiting to see what user you'll be a dick to next

giphy.gif

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
No subject should be off limits to humor.

That said, I didn't hear a joke there. He just shit on them witlessly.
No subject is off limits to humor. We're questioning what kind of an asshole you have to be to pick on people who aren't hurting anyone, whose only crime is that they've had a hard life.

Damn. How could you look at this kid and complain about the youth of today? He just took Laura Ingraham off the air!

Whoa. Good for him!

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Never liked this shit stain. How is going on a rant like that a joke? Because he makes weird voices when he's mocking somebody? Thats like some elementary school levels of humor. Seriously fuck this guy. Going after victims of a mass shooting. JFC what a scumbag. Fuck you man.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA

I've never been a huge Louis fan.. but Let's be real.. this is just piling on because people aren't satisfied he is still allowed to do comedy. But he will always be allowed to do comedy. This doesn't even raise eyebrows in a comedy club.
"let's be real" says person not replying to anyone specifically because that would threaten the strawman he's built.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I also don't think he's necesarily a racist of bigot but he says ignorant racist and bigot bits for comedy. It just doesn't work for him when there isn't a joke there.

This is really tangential to Louis, but anyway: I do believe there's a line here, but I think it's a lot thinner than people think. Comedy is ultimately a tool; it has no moral values of its own, but it can be used destructively or constructively. It can punch up if that's what the people using it want it to do, and it can just as easily (if not more easily) punch down.

If someone wants to use bigotry in their comedy in order to fight bigotry, that's something you can do, but you need to take pains to ensure that's what you're doing. You have to be aware that the audience might not know who you meant to aim it at, or might not understand the lesson, and so you have to craft your jokes in a way that reduces the chances of that happening. If it still doesn't land the way you want it to, you have to admit that it's on you, and then you have to either totally rework it or scrap it.

But whether it goes well or not, you're still profiting off bigotry. If it's vital to your humour and you're selling your humour, then it's part of how you get your money. I don't think that's innately bad, but it's something to be aware of. If you're trying to turn bigotry on its head in order to attack it, maybe we could agree that's something that's worth being paid for. But if you simply want to get paid or enjoy using bigotry for humour, packaging it as if it's helpful instead of harmful might just be a convenient for you to get the results you want.

There's an old Bill Maher panel that always sticks with me where Sarah Silverman was criticized for using a slur against the Chinese as a joke. Her argument was that she was fighting racism. In the panel, Bill and Sarah basically use this logic to should down the non-white members of the panel, including the Chinese guy. There's a moment where Bill repeats the N-word at the black panelist to demonstrate that he's allowed to say it because the setting is appropriate. When he got flack for using the N-word more recently and had Ice Cube as a guest, you can hear him try the "but I'm fighting racism" defense before Ice Cube then shuts him down.

If you decide that you're going to use your platform and try to defend people, that sounds good. But what do you do if they say "stop"? Do you stop and listen to what they have to say, or do you say "shut up and let me help you"?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Sam Kinnison is dead, that bit is 30 years old, and it's completely irrelevant to the discussion of this current event.

Who says he can't do comedy? He can (clearly) do all the comedy he wants. And people can choose to consume his material if they so choose oh wait no they can't because his first few shows back he dropped in completely unannounced having learned absolutely nothing and this new set further proves as such.

EDIT: I see this set was unannounced too.

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I just really don't get silencing one side of the debate but eh whatever.

I did think it was funny but also tasteless. I mean that's comedy a lot of the times.
"Trans kids and school shooting survivors too busy fighting for their lives, instead of doing shrooms and fingering each other. What fucking losers!! Going to Congress to make change? LUL shut up you children. You don't know anything!!!"

Says man who regularly whipped out his pathetic penis in front of women with out asking before furiously masturbating.

This is funny to you...how exactly? Laughably pathetic and sad? Sure.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Not funny. I used to be a Louie fan, so it's pretty painful to see what he's become.

The mod post threadmark didn't work for me, but I'm interested in reading that post. Which page is it on?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just really don't get silencing one side of the debate but eh whatever.

I did think it was funny but also tasteless. I mean that's comedy a lot of the times.
Yeah silencing transphobes is just wrong, we should let them have their say and fair shot at why theyre bigots despite clearly being against the terms of use here. Wake the fuck up with the both sides bullshit.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/louis-ck-parkland-shooting-gender-comedy-set-1203096926/
As the set continues, C.K. acknowledges that some of his comments will provoke controversy but he stresses he has little to lose.

"What are you going to do, take away my birthday? My life is over. I don't give a s—," he said.

Yeah, he's clearly an awful person, but my intuition was that he's doubling down because that's the only way he can make money and this seems to confirm it. He probably doesn't need it, he could have just silently retired.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
This time next year Louis will be getting paid six figures to masturbate on stage in front of a crowd of all-male College Republicans chanting "Own the Libs"

Also, he's so close to realizing when he talks about how generations above and below him hate him, that he actually just sucks timelessly, but he falls short.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I liked his old stuff and still do but none of this lands. He needs to fucking just stop. He's unapologetic, he's bitter, he's angry at the wrong people. Just stop.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
What part of the jokes were funny? (I love that no one comes out and answers this)

Because we don't need to explain the joke? The delivery of "your mothers cunt" is funny to me. The image of a fat kid being pushed in front of a school shooter is funny to me in a perverse dark way. No one is asking you to find this funny.

If it's not for you and in poor taste for you fine.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
As the set continues, C.K. acknowledges that some of his comments will provoke controversy but he stresses he has little to lose.

"What are you going to do, take away my birthday? My life is over. I don't give a s—," he said.

Christ almighty. He's willing to do ANYTHING for attention, as long as it doesn't involve actually owning up to his disgusting actions and taking accountability. He'd rather just move on and act like it didn't happen, even if it means punching down for shock value...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's clearly an awful person, but my intuition was that he's doubling down because that's the only way he can make money and this seems to confirm it. He probably doesn't need it, he could have just silently retired.
I mean, if we're just going from that quote, it could just as easily be "I already irreparably fucked up my image so I'm just going to do what I want from now on".

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing transphobic comments, hostility, ignoring modpost.
lmao do you come into school shooting threads going "WOW guess it's all a circle jerk and we're banning anyone who's rooting for the murderer??"

That's such a stupid strawman and you know it. Not to mention everyone who's so outraged in this thread are the vapid idiots who are giving this dude attention and free publicity. HEY EVERYONE THIS COMEDIAN LOUIE CK WE'RE SO UPSET ABOUT

WHAT'S HIS NAME?

LOUIE CK REMEMBER IT'S AN IE WHEN YOUR GOOGLING HIM AND GIVING HIM CLICKS. SPREAD THE WORD EVERYONE THIS WILL REALLY HURT HIM

I mean c'mon guys have we not learned anything from our idiot president?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That's such a stupid strawman and you know it. Not to mention everyone who's so outraged in this thread are the vapid idiots who are giving this dude attention and free publicity. HEY EVERYONE THIS COMEDIAN LOUIE CK WE'RE SO UPSET ABOUT

WHAT'S HIS NAME?

LOUIE CK REMEMBER IT'S AN IE WHEN YOUR GOOGLING HIM AND GIVING HIM CLICKS. SPREAD THE WORD EVERYONE THIS WILL REALLY HURT HIM

guiloahhhhh, would you say that this is how Trump won? Just curious.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

WHAT'S HIS NAME?

have you not learned anything from the dozens banned in this topic?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because we don't need to explain the joke? The delivery of "your mothers cunt" is funny to me. The image of a fat kid being pushed in front of a school shooter is funny to me in a perverse dark way. No one is asking you to find this funny.

If it's not for you and in poor taste for you fine.
What about the transphobia jokes, what part of the joke there is funny? Also its incredibly fucked up that you think kids getting shot is funny. Gross.

Oct 25, 2017

WHAT'S HIS NAME?

You don't actually think this forum of five thousand awkward nerds is really affecting the public perception of Louis CK. You're just fishing for a ban. I hope you catch one.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

WHAT'S HIS NAME?

this is a fucking stupid take in a thread full of really stupid takes

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only heard one mass shooting joke before and that was Cedric the Entertainer in Kings of Comedy. He wasn't dissing individuals or any specific event though, the punchline was White people being overly nosey and curious.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You post history has defending Joe Rogan, rationalizing rape culture in old songs, defending Seinfeld, downplaying possible sexism in Forever 21 ads, rationalizing NWO Jew conspiracy theories, defending workplace sexism, victim blaming, downplaying the repercussions of boxing, downplaying Stanley Kubrik's assholery, complaining about outrage culture, supporting violence against children as punishment, defending the NPC meme, supporting Aziz Ansari, using "retarded" as a slur, complaining about teenagers being lazy, and downplaying racism.

I'm pretty sure if I looked up the definition of joke it'd just say "Diunx"

edit: oh, two weeks off for someone who has never been a positive contribution to the site. That'll teach 'em
That escalated quickly
DvxkGVqUwAEhbj3

Get it? It's funny cause it's racist!
"He's still got it!!!"

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

WHAT'S HIS NAME?

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.