• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Like...where's the punchline?

Set's like the comedy equivalent of a dementia clock (though I'll admit I did chuckle at a point or two out of pure schadenfreude).

At least CK was never the real red-headed king of comedy (if Bill Burr were to collapse this hard that would be devastating).

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
You're fucked in the head. this is not normal. Grow up.

"I mean if you want to get best protection, you have to throw the fat kid. The skinny one won't catch the bullet.

Or if you know the shooter is alt right, you can send any minority, Jew, gay, handicaped person. They attract Nazi bullet".

So yeah I'd agree that joking about school shooting can be funny.

I don't care about Louie ck and this bit was pretty bad.

What I don't understand is people that don't think we can laugh about school shooting. If we replace with regular adult shooting, is it ok?
Or it's the shooting thats bad. Should we only joke about single murder?
Or is it simply because it's from something real and only joking about fake murders are ok?

I'm that dense.

Again:
yes to say you think Louie ck jokes about the shooting was bad
No to call out someone because he enjoys dark humor.

Oct 25, 2017
While I can't imagine what it feels like to be the targets of the hate and vitriol of millions, it's not like Louis didn't manuever himself right into that position. I can't imagine handling it the way he is, even if his head has been through a wringer.

Man it just fucking sucks seeing people you enjoyed self-destruct.

Louis has hardly self destructed. He's just regressed back to who he really was deep down.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I mean if you want to get best protection, you have to throw the fat kid. The skinny one won't catch the bullet.

Or if you know the shooter is alt right, you can send any minority, Jew, gay, handicaped person. They attract Nazi bullet".

None of this is funny. That's pretty low brow, idiotic humor.

That's not dark humor, that's the humor of a moron.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I just really don't get silencing one side of the debate but eh whatever.

I did think it was funny but also tasteless. I mean that's comedy a lot of the times.

Oh you see this is where you're wrong. There's no debate.

Transphobia being is not a subject for a tete a tete it's a fact and there's nothing more to it.

Oct 25, 2017

What I don't understand is people that don't think we can laugh about school shooting. If we replace with regular adult shooting, is it ok?
Or is it simply because it's from something real and only joking about fake murders are ok?

I'm that dense.

Again:

Those are some low brow examples you got there. Jew and fat kid jokes are things 12 year olds say when they think they're clever and funny.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not a baseless argument. Fact is it's just cowardly, low-effort comedy. Shooting victims and marginalized groups don't need "roasting". His delivery is as on point as ever but absolutely there's nothing funny about the message he's giving.
His delivery is on point? He was basically screaming his set at his audience in anger. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder about being called out.

All of it was steaming trash.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
I understand comedians use those impromptu sessions to polish the jokes and eliminate the ineffectual stuff. But even if you don't mind the topics and subject of this new material, it's surprising how puerile it feels.
Leagues below his previous work. The Parkland joke does not seem to have an actual payoff, for going there.

Not sure what he is trying to accomplish with all of this. Maybe his version of wrestling's "turn heel"?
Either way, pretty dissapointing. Kind of curious to see how far the train wreck goes, though.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
His delivery is on point? He was basically screaming his set at his audience in anger. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder about being called out.

All of it was steaming yeah.

Too true, yeah. If he doesn't like being called out, then notable people on Twitter should DEFINITELY keep calling him out. Especially friends and colleagues. Guy needs a reality check.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I certainly hope this wasn't your idea of funny.

Like what the fuck

Burly

Oct 25, 2017

I'm that dense.

Again:

Are you quoting someone's jokes specifically, or is this just a cover to tell your own shitty school shooting jokes that would get you banned in any other context?

Oct 26, 2017

I'm that dense.

Again:

Using "LOL u almost died" and passing it off a routine is just lazy.

Look at Jeselnik for mastery of the art of dark humor:

(On the day of the Boston Marathon bombing) "Today there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Especially the finish line."

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. He has contributed to quite a bit on stage and in production over the years.

You could give Louis a scientifically proven, foolproof comedic formula and it would still come across terrible.

Self destruction would imply he fully doubled down on "alt-right" comedy and let his life spiral out of control.

He's simply using his style of material and delivery from his O&A days.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm that dense.

Again:

OpenFearlessDuckling-small.gif

Don't quit your day job

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I'm that dense.

Again:
I think you're onto something. Try it out at an open mic night and send us the video.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Louis has hardly self destructed. He's just regressed back to who he really was deep down.
I really did think he was as talented as all that, so now I just see a guy lashing out without self-reflection. I didn't watch him before his mainstream specials, so my immediate perception is just some sad, older guy I used to like taking revenge on his perceived 'woke' enemies. These new fans are just using him as a prop in their anti-SJW obsession, there is no joy onstage or in that crowd, even the laughter sounds desperate. It's just a big bubble of negative self-reinforcement. If that's what he wants to be now, that is almost heartbreaking. From the top of the game to wallowing in the bitterness of the Cable Guy crowd.

Louis CK is a cunt, that is settled fact now, but I can't believe how deeply sad his particular downfall has been.

Oct 25, 2017
I really did think he was as talented as all that, so now I just see a guy lashing out without self-reflection. I didn't watch him before his mainstream specials, so my immediate perception is just some sad, older guy I used to like taking revenge on his perceived 'woke' enemies. These new fans are just using him as a prop in their anti-SJW obsession, there is no joy onstage or in that crowd, even the laughter sounds desperate. It's just a big bubble of negative self-reinforcement. If that's what he wants to be now, that is almost heartbreaking. From the top of the game to wallowing in the bitterness of the Cable Guy crowd.

Louis CK is a cunt, that is settled fact now, but I can't believe how deeply sad his particular downfall has been.

Read my comment above. This is all a regression back to who he was at his start. His material from his days during O&A was equally as questionable and offensive at times.

Oct 25, 2017

(On the day of the Boston Marathon bombing) "Today there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed.

It also helps that Jeselnik is doing a character.

Louis isn't a character. He actually turned out to be the creep he was joking about.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, some people here people REALLY want to defend a pudgy, middle aged white dude spouting shit.

Says a lot about them...

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018

jJmiG2h.gif

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco

I think I'm only going to reply to you because somehow I think you're the only one that replied to me with content.

My post wasn't an attempt at being funny, far from it but sadly this is what kept the attention of most.

So yep. I think you re right. Lazy humour us lazy humour. Still some can find it funny. Some will not.

And this is where I think it's difficult to set a hard limit. Good witty dark humour is good. Bad lazy dark humour is bad.

But it's not because death is the topic. It's because it's just bad and lazy. And the bar is at different level for everyone and at different point in time too.

So when users get angry and their only complaint is about the topic itself and not the delivery, then I don't agree. Add a little more arguments to the reply and I would very likely be fine, but a simple 'you're fucked up' doesn't really does it for me

It doesn't concern most users from this thread. Heck it's probably a minority. But enough that at some point I wanted to post.

Sorry if some got the message that I'm just here to lay down some bro joke. But I usually like to enter discussion by getting at people's feeling. I find that conversations where people can manage to be angry and still argument at the same time the most fruitful of conversations.

I think I'll continue to lurk here but not reply much.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

I'm that dense.

Again:
It's children in school being shot to death. And it happens a lot. It's not funny.

Fuck off.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
DvxkGVqUwAEhbj3

Get it? It's funny cause it's racist!
The funniest part of that whole quote was "said the 51-year old comedian"

I would argue that Anthony Jeselnik is, quite possibly, the most unexciting "dark humour" comedian who has ever held a microphone

Last edited:

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
I think I'm only going to reply to you because somehow I think you're the only one that replied to me with content.

My post wasn't an attempt at being funny, far from it but sadly this is what kept the attention of most.

So when users get angry and their only complaint is about the topic itself and not the delivery, then I don't agree. Add a little more arguments to the reply and I would very likely be fine, but a simple 'you're fucked up' doesn't really does it for me

Sorry if some got the message that I'm just here to lay down some bro joke. But I usually like to enter discussion by getting at people's feeling. I find that conversations where people can manage to be angry and still argument at the same time the most fruitful of conversations.

You handcrafted lazy, almost incoherent jokes to frame your example of how school shooting jokes can be amusing, and then act as joke arbiter and debate purist when people don't respond positively to your hamfisted ass approach to discussion.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a portion of it and tbh it isn't really that different from his old material outside of the whistleblowing. I've never been a fan of Lous CK's work at all. He's like someone that really wants to be George Carlin but isn't smart enough to make a decent point about anything.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA

So yep. I think you re right. Lazy humour us lazy humour. Still some can find it funny. Some will not.

And this is where I think it's difficult to set a hard limit. Good witty dark humour is good. Bad lazy dark humour is bad.

But it's not because death is the topic. It's because it's just bad and lazy. And the bar is at different level for everyone and at different point in time too.

It doesn't concern most users from this thread. Heck it's probably a minority. But enough that at some point I wanted to post.

disapproving_look.jpg

Shootings. Aren't. Funny!

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Dude you started talking about using Jewish, gay and handicap folk as human shields if a school shooter is a Nazi as your joke example, you're on a high horse neck high in quick sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.