• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad to me that the bar for white powerful men who abuse said power is so low, "at least he didn't demean or discredit his accusers" is among the best in category, despite a refusal to actually apologize for what was done.

I don't know why you're putting white people into a different category of awful? Someone like Bill Cosby DID demean/discredit his accusers. It's the abuse of power that is the problem. Race is irrelevant here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't know why you're putting white people into a different category of awful? Someone like Bill Cosby DID demean/discredit his accusers. It's the abuse of power that is the problem. Race is irrelevant here.
Really. That's your takeaway from my point. Maybe because there's been a ton of powerful white guys committing sexual assault and abuse in the news lately? I didn't say it was only white guys. Louie is just yet another white guy in this category.

Use powerful men if it makes you feel better. But a fuckton of them are white.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Really. That's your takeaway from my point. Maybe because there's been a ton of powerful white guys committing sexual assault and abuse in the news lately? I didn't say it was only white guys. Louie is just yet another white guy in this category.

Use powerful men if it makes you feel better. But a fuckton of them are white.
Probably not worth the discussion with the poster, a predictable posting history

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a shame that there's no nuance allowed at all in regards to the topic of comedy. The blanket bans are shameful.
It's hard to have a nuanced discussion when the jokes lack a punchline. Or rather hve an illogically punchline aimed only at people who're bitter old and young straight males who can't process the thought of empathy.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a shame that there's no nuance allowed at all in regards to the topic of comedy. The blanket bans are shameful.
There's nuance to be had in discussing stuff like Springtime For Hitler (which was, IIRC, controversial in its time). There is no nuance to be discussed with "damn those needy trans youths. I'll demand to be identified as a helicopter!" level of "humor"

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Imagine having the audacity to use the word nuance in defense of a bit that calls Asian men women because of the stereotype that they have small dicks

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Which I think was the worst part. There was no wit or cleverness to them. Just tired and lazy racist jokes that have been told over and over again for decades, to where you don't even have the shock part of the offensiveness to give the "humor" any edge.
You're forgetting the nuance of the crowd cheering and yelling "fuck you!" While Louie launched into his transphobic tirade

stupidumbguy

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Excusing Transphobia, Account in Junior Phase
Oh boy. This sure is a thread. Firstly, Louis fucked up big time. What he did to those women was gross and I can't forgive him for that, BUT people need to understand that Louis is constantly writing new material and, like all comedians, tests his new material in front of audiences in clubs to see what works and what doesn't so that he can polish it and make it into a special or go on tour with material that doesn't stink.

This wasn't meant to be heard on the internet, this was meant for a specific comedy-going audience that knows what they're getting themselves into when they go to a comedy club. Unfortunately, due to Louis' past transgressions, people are recording this material that isn't typically recorded and posting it on the internet for an audience that doesn't understand the method behind it. Most of this material fell flat and Louis would pick up on that and know where he needs to add or subtract to make it better.

I thought the bit about the Parkland kids was funny. (You're supposed to find it offensive, that's the joke)

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Oh boy. This sure is a thread. Firstly, Louis fucked up big time. What he did to those women was gross and I can't forgive him for that, BUT people need to understand that Louis is constantly writing new material and, like all comedians, tests his new material in front of audiences in clubs to see what works and what doesn't so that he can polish it and make it into a special or go on tour with material that doesn't stink.

This wasn't meant to be heard on the internet, this was meant for a specific comedy-going audience that knows what they're getting themselves into when they go to a comedy club. Unfortunately, due to Louis' past transgressions, people are recording this material that isn't typically recorded and posting it on the internet for an audience that doesn't understand the method behind it. Most of this material fell flat and Louis would pick up on that and know where he needs to add or subtract to make it better.

I thought the bit about the Parkland kids was funny. (You're supposed to find it offensive, that's the joke)
You can't polish a turd. Grow up

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

People going to comedy shows should expect transphobia and jokes punching down at kids who survived school shootings as well as Asian dick jokes?

Hmm, nah

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh lord...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People going to comedy shows should expect transphobia and jokes punching down at kids who survived school shootings as well as Asian dick jokes?

Hmm, nah
It honestly depends on the comedian. Edgy, offensive comedy exists and has it's audience. I'm less offended at this act and merely bored at how uncreative, tired, and lazy the jokes were.

stupidumbguy

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
You can't polish a turd. Grow up
I have grown up. I'm not the one getting offended by jokes and misunderstanding how stand-ups make their art.

Hmm, nah
People going to comedy shows should expect anything that can be said with words. You have every right to be offended as they do to say whatever they want.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to have a nuanced discussion when the jokes lack a punchline. Or rather hve an illogically punchline aimed only at people who're bitter old and young straight males who can't process the thought of empathy.

I don't think there is any room for nuance as to whether the jokes were funny. They were shit.

There is probably some nuance as to where the situation falls between "comedian with long track history of lauded comedy makes a serious fuckup moment of bizarre tone deafness" and "he has clearly said fuck everyone and is intentionally pivoting into a full on war on progressive politics and positioning himself as the darling of the alt-right and bigots."

The masturbation stuff has clearly changed public perception of him, and fair enough too. I can understand that people have zero fucks or benefit of the doubt in regards to him. Would be interesting to see if the reaction to the current situation would have been different in a world where he wasn't also a disgusting pervert. Probably would have been given a little bit of rope to redeem himself like Chappelle. Ah well, we reap what we sow.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This has been quite the thread. Angry transphobic rants and mocking shooting victims is "testing material"

And you know. The real issue here is that someone recorded him

Christ

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
"Testing material" doesn't at all excuse the thought process it takes to think that trans joke is at all funny, or anything at all beyond hack material.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
People going to comedy shows should expect anything that can be said with words. You have every right to be offended as they do to say whatever they want.
Actually they shouldn't and we are more than entitled to discuss how poor his routine was, how tone deaf it was, etc

Your coming in here all bent out of shape over people you seem to think don't understand comedy where it seems that Louis CK has actually forgotten how to structure a joke

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018

boy you're really living up to your name

stupidumbguy

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
boy you're really living up to your name
Thanks, bro.

Actually they shouldn't and we are more than entitled to discuss how poor his routine was, how tone deaf it was, etc

Your coming in here all bent out of shape over people you seem to think don't understand comedy where it seems that Louis CK has actually forgotten how to structure a joke
If you're going to a comedy club and don't know who the lineup is, you should expect anything.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
While this is a thread on an important topic, it seems the discussion has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.