• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He knows he's never getting a number of his old audience back, and it shows. This was awkward as hell to listen to.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed CK when I thought he was working to satirize male impulses.

When I found out he was just making jokes about his own behavior without much self-critique, well, that lost my respect.

Bingo. Exemplified with one image from Louie.

e1f.png

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Louis bit: The generation before us called us assholes because were were young and crazy, now the generation after us is calling us assholes because we're old and crazy

Maybe the common thread is that you're an asshole. Or is it too hard to admit that you're possibly doing or have done something wrong, even still?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Endorsing transphobic rhetoric.
Damn, he's still got it!

Honestly, this is milder than his old stuff. By far. He has this one set from 2005 where he just jumps from awful subject to awful subject and I think it's far more offensive than this.

EDIT: here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8d_ry-u-Q&t=521s

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
wow. that was really terrible. the end was pretty bad. making fun of school shooting survivors.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like over the past month this entire routine has been posted on Facebook in the form of impact font memes by the same 50-year-olds who are pissed David Hogg got into Harvard.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
A Louis CK and Dennis Miller dual bill could sell out the biggest megachurch in Texas

Texas megachurch parishioners are well known for their love of abortion jokes after all

All three of those aspects are pretty consistent parts of right wing comedy. Like someone said earlier, all he's missing here is the attack helicopter jab.
lol. come on. If being ignorant or offensive is a trait of right-wing comedy then every comic must be a secret conservative.
I don't even recognise it as the same person.

The subject matter is clearly different, but even the delivery and technique is totally different, and far lazier.
Just going off the transcript, but that trans joke not only sounds lazy its own right but is also hard to square with the same guy who handled transphobia in such an exponentially more thoughtful way on Horace and Pete too.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he knows which end of the political spectrum is going to allow him to continue his career despite being a sexual predator, so he's pandering hard. That set was like the memes racist grandpas send to eachother on Facebook; almost literally doing the "I identify as an attack helicopter" shit. And all delivered to a crowd shouting "YEAH FUCK'EM!".

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not giving it a pass, nor am I attempting to down-play it. I'm just mentioning that one is worse than the other.
Except that there's no reason to bring up Weinstein up in the first place unless you're trying to compare the two to make CK look better. Weinstein wasn't as bad as Cosby either, but I wouldn't go into a thread about him and make a post talking about how they're "nowhere near equivalent".

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Maybe I don't have my facts straight? From what I knew, he asked permission, and they said yes. I guess the events played out differently though.

Sarah Silverman also came to his defense. She allowed Louis to masturbate in front of her on more than one occasion. I probably could've phrased my thoughts better. I guess that wasn't the case with everyone.
No, you don't have your facts straight, and even if he did ask permission you need to realize the power dynamic and even if that wasn't there how just asking a woman if you can masturbate in front of her puts her in an incredibly uncomfortable position, you just don't do that. These were not women he was romantically involved with or anything, they were cooworkers and aspiring people in their respective crafts in some cases, with one of the world's top standup acts putting them on the spot, so you're still incredibly wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord. CK was legitimately my favorite comedian for half a decade, but even disregarding the context of his heinous personal actions, the glimpse of his new stand-up this clip offers is just mean-spirited without any sort of salient message that serves to undercut the cruelty of the content.

Go to hell, Louis. You've squandered every talent you have in service of making the world a worse place.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like the same edge-lord shit he's been doing forever, but while that might have flown in 2009, it just seems kind of old hat and sad now.

Oct 28, 2017
Why? We all know what they both did? Who are you trying to convince other than yourself?

Idk, man. I still feel able to separate the art from the artist in this case.

Even certain former idols of mine are hard to enjoy now like Woody Allen films or John K's Ren & Stimpy.

I thought Louie was different. I guess I was wrong?

Sorry.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, he's still got it!

Honestly, this is milder than his old stuff. By far. He has this one set from 2005 where he just jumps from awful subject to awful subject and I think it's far more offensive than this.

EDIT: here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8d_ry-u-Q&t=521s
Except, y'know, in 2005, more folks were giving shitty, edgy, offensive comedy a pass. It ain't 2005 anymore, and honestly, thank god for that.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine coming into this thread and aligning yourself with the guy in the crowd who yells "YEAH FUCK 'EM" about transgendered people.

Imagine being that ResetERA poster.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol. come on. If being ignorant or offensive is a trait of right-wing comedy
Yeah, but just a specific type of it. I believe it's normally referred to as punching up/punching down.

It's the difference between Louie CK joking about how, as a white man, he can get away with a lot of shit and will probably one day have hell to pay and Louie CK joking about... how school shooting victims are too preachy?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm open to comedians making jokes about almost any topic, but this just wasn't well written material. Seemed lazy and sloppy.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Just going off the transcript, but that trans joke not only sounds lazy its own right but is hard to square with the same guy who handled transphobia in an exponentially more thoughtful way on Horace and Pete.
Yep. I respect the hell out of him for that show and everyone else involved. Everyone should give it a watch but that ship has sailed for many.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
pandering to the right is as easy as it gets as far as comedy goes. literally all you need to do is bash esh jay dub-yuhs and be met with raucous applause. sure, you'll never be as popular as you would be if you made jokes that were actually funny. but you'll get paid. you'll get by.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you want to be reaaaaaaaaaally generous and say this is the way his humor has always been...

Bill Cosby didn't do the spanish fly routine again after he was outed as a serial rapist for a reason! It's not a good look.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
- Talks about how when he was a teen or in his early 20's he was doing crazy shit and he couldn't wait until he got into his 50's so he could call kids out for being crazy. But those kids aren't crazy, instead they're calling out others for saying stupid shit
- Complains about people wanting to be identified a certain way
- Complains about the Parkland Kids speaking in front of college. Says that they have nothing important to say and it's not like they got shot, they just pushed some fat kid in front of them

There are no actual jokes in it.
Yeah as I was listening to it, jesus CHRIST at the bolded. Just when I thought he couldn't get worse than the previous things he mocks shooting victims. Fuck him.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly in line with his pre sex predator standup, he's not pivoting to become an alt right comic, this is the type of humor he's always done.
The difference is context. In the past it was like the whole thing was meta... he was satirizing the disgusting pov. But now we know he was actually getting off on it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah cool lets make fun of kids who saw their classmates get shot to death that's just classy as fuck. smh.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of his catalog is low-hanging fruit and then it's all about his delivery. It's too 'I can see it coming a mile a way' for me.

I know he's done a shitton of outlandish bits, I'm sure Google can help ya out.

I did, there's not much. That's why I asked; it didn't seem like territory I remember him saying much about.

You're not wrong about his comedy in general of course, there's been shitty jokes in other areas (race and gay slurs) in the past. That little bit I listened to sounded a little more of a dip into...I don't know, something different than what I've heard in the past.. People aren't wrong that it some really cookie cutter right wing stuff.

Usually even his offensive shit at least has a little more creativity than that.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see people thinking it's not that bad if they've like... never been on Twitter before and don't realize that everything he said is basically word for word from alt-right twitter. It's not just offensive, it's clear dog-whistling.

And then he insulted the Parkland kids for good measure because ???

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Yeah that was just...bad.

Good comedy knows how to read the room. Talk about being out of touch.

and there are tons of kids out there still out there being idiots, festival/raving, doing drugs, fingerfucking.
Man how low of a comedian do you have to be to pick on survivors of school shootings

yikes

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
pandering to the right is as easy as it gets as far as comedy goes. literally all you need to do is bash esh jay dub-yuhs and be met with raucous applause. sure, you'll never be as popular as you would be if you made jokes that were actually funny. but you'll get paid. you'll get by.

The 'ol Dennis Miller. BAP BAP BAP

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Temporarily locking this thread as it is generating a high number of reports. This thread will be reopen once reports have been cleared.

mod post

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
There is no reasonable defense that can be offered of Louis CK's statements in this clip. Defending or commenting that you find the clip funny will be treated the same as any other post in defense of transphobia or transphobia from this point forward.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
The transphobic joke was pure trash. It's like something a dumbass uncle would say at Thanksgiving.

He sounds like a Rush Limbaugh caller now.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
User Banned (1 Week): Defense of Transphobia, Ignoring Mod Post
The set was pretty good, but it was a struggle listening to that leak with that one dude's laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.