• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
At least one person was killed and six others injured in a shooting at a Christmas market in central Strasbourg on Tuesday, police said.

Regional authorities said an incident was "under way" in the city.
The interior ministry called on the public to remain indoors amid a "serious security event" in the city centre while local authorities in the Grand-Est and Bas-Rhin region tweeted for the public to "avoid the area of the police station", located close to the city's Christmas market.
"There were gun shots and people running everywhere," one local shopkeeper told BFM TV. "It lasted about 10 minutes."

France remains on high alert after a wave of attacks commissioned or inspired by Islamic State group militants since early 2015 in which about 240 people have been killed.

https://www.france24.com/en/20181211-france-dead-injured-strasbourg-police-christmas-market-shooting

May 21, 2018
I just know the right-wing will pounce on this as proof that France is broken, and ignore the fact that this is likely one of a number of shootings that you could probably count by hand in France, while in the US there's been hundreds of shootings in a year.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
If it was at a Christmas market it could have been a lot worse than this. I wonder if the large crowd helped subdue the shooter?
I just know the right-wing will pounce on this as proof that France is broken, and ignore the fact that this is likely one of a number of shootings that you could probably count by hand in France, while in the US there's been hundreds of shootings in a year.
how about we think about the dead/injured instead of worrying about political points

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Shit man, so sick of this shit. I'm going to the Christmas market in Düsseldorf this weekend. You're not supposed to let this shit get to you, but it'll be in the back of my mind the entire time.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like the raid and the miliyary cornered the asshole in Rue D'Épinal. They didn't get him yet.
Most of my friends live in Strasbourg, I'm devastated.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Shit man, so sick of this shit. I'm going to the Christmas market in Düsseldorf this weekend. You're not supposed to let this shit get to you, but it'll be in the back of my mind the entire time.
Having it on your mind will do you no harm. It's always on my mind when in the main centres of cities or around crowds in cities, even in my own city. I'm always vigilant.

Hopefully the death toll stays at two... it is so hard to hear this shit happening at complete random, especially when children are involved.

Ferulci

Oct 31, 2017
Shook. My mother has a shop in Grand Rue and heard the gunshots. On BFM TV, I can literally see the shop sign. She's safe so that's that. Hope they get that fucker quickly.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Shook. My mother has a shop in Grand Rue and heard the gunshots. On BFM TV, I can literally see the shop sign. She's safe so that's that. Hope they get that fucker quickly.

I'm glad to hear your mother is safe.

This is another disgusting act. RIP to the victims and I hope the wounded heal quickly.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How very sad. I hope they take him into custody without any further loss of life.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I've got family there so this is scary. I heard from one cousin that lives there that another one of my cousins is locked in a restaurant in the centre of town until they catch the guy apparently. They're both safe though, thank fuck.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking piece of shit humans are at it again, shooting at innocent people.

The world will never get rid of garbage human beings being born and harming others. I don't give two shits about what they've been through or whatever excuse some people try to use to explain these things.

Sigh.

I'm also getting extremely angry at this shit (pulled from BBC article): "The gunman, known to security services, is on the run and is being hunted by police. "

Almost every radicalized asshole that does these things is known to authorities, yet they still manage to do this. It's like the US and their inability to recognize that guns are the problem for their shootings.

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Fucking piece of shit humans are at it again, shooting at innocent people.

The world will never get rid of garbage human beings being born and harming others. I don't give two shits about what they've been through or whatever excuse some people try to use to explain these things.

Sigh.

I'm also getting extremely angry at this shit (pulled from BBC article): "The gunman, known to security services, is on the run and is being hunted by police. "

Almost every radicalized asshole that does these things is known to authorities, yet they still manage to do this. It's like the US and their inability to recognize that guns are the problem for their shootings.
Police tried to arrest him at his home this morning, but he wasn't there.
Unfortunately there's just way too many people that are radicalized...
Back in 2015, 20k people in France (!!) were "fiché S" (people that may be dangerous for the country's security) How do you manage to arrest them all ? And fortunately a lot of them will never do anything. It's impossible to arrest 20k people like that, and you can't always know which one will do something and when. It's more complicated than just "why can't they arrest them ?".
A lot of terrorist attacks were prevented since 2015 in France. But unfortunately it's impossible to prevent them all...

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Man this is heartbreaking

4 confirmed dead, suspect still at large, such a waste

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Police tried to arrest him at his home this morning, but he wasn't there.
Unfortunately there's just way too many people that are radicalized...
Back in 2015, 20k people in France (!!) were "fiché S" (people that may be dangerous for the country's security) How do you manage to arrest them all ? And fortunately a lot of them will never do anything. It's impossible to arrest 20k people like that, and you can't always know which one will do something and when. It's more complicated than just "why can't they arrest them ?".
A lot of terrorist attacks were prevented since 2015 in France. But unfortunately it's impossible to prevent them all...

20k radicalized people is a lot, wow.

It's just sad that this happens and it angers me, but I guess it must be even more frustrating for the authorities that can't predict who will act and who won't.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Me and my collegues initially wanted to go tonight, but wendecided to keep on working on our project tonight.
Thats just sad and horrifying.
R.I.P to those that were murdered and hopefully those that were harmed recover from this tragedy.
What a sad day.
The thought of me being there messed me up.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

This happens sadly all the time because you have for some reason to even treat these people by law.

Our European laws are just a joke and things only happen after people get murdered and then everyone is like "OMG HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!?!Lets make a concert to unite everyone!"

Currently also happening in Austria after a 16 year old girl got murdered in her room because a guy/kid that already murdered people in his home country walked freely around even though it was known to the authorities plus that kid commited crimes in Austria too and still didn't get punished.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So because America has a bigger problem with shootings we should shrug the terrorism problem in Europe off? This has already happened several times in France so it's definitely a problem whether you like it or not.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Can't imagine being there knowing the shooter is still out there. He probably has nothing to lose atm.

Prayers go out to those impacted. Sometimes i think I'm paranoid with the way I think but attacks and shootings happening in the places that should be safe just makes things worse.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
A few years ago i brought my in laws to Strasbourg for the Christmas market (if you have never been- it's amazing, probably the best I have seen to. They now even hang incredibly beautiful crystal chandelier on loan from nearby Baccarat). It had been closed because of the Paris terrorist attacks , which was a huge bummer. Now you can be guaranteed they might be closed for the season and potentially future years. The terrorists win. Fuck them.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Apparently he's still on the run and has exchanged fires repeatedly with law enforcement. Crazy.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
how about we think about the dead/injured instead of worrying about political points

I appreciate the thought but that's easier said than done for me. I don't know the city, we don't have names, all we have is that people were shot. But I do know that I was already depressed this evening about Europe falling apart BEFORE this happened and now I'm waking up and still scared.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
A few years ago i brought my in laws to Strasbourg for the Christmas market (if you have never been- it's amazing, probably the best I have seen to. They now even hang incredibly beautiful crystal chandelier on loan from nearby Baccarat). It had been closed because of the Paris terrorist attacks , which was a huge bummer. Now you can be guaranteed they might be closed for the season and potentially future years. The terrorists win. Fuck them.
Not a chance in hell. I give it a couple days before it reopens.

Oct 27, 2017
BNCHoriginal_usethis.png

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah fuck this. This really seems like a new normal. Things like these could be avoided with more drastic measures but all effort goes to concrete roadblocks and fences. So sick of this.

Stay safe

ghostandgoblin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I hope you are right, but when I went - and it was closed- it had been a while since the Paris attacks iirc.
It wasn't closed in 2015, it was smaller and finished a week before the usual because of the quick instalement of security mesures. In the end there was a lot less visitors because of the attack, people didn't want to gather in mass in a public event like that.

So no, it will still be there, since 1570.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't closed in 2015, it was smaller and finished a week before the usual because of the quick instalement of security mesures. In the end there was a lot less visitors because of the attack, people didn't want to gather in mass in a public event like that.

So no, it will still be there, since 1570.
Do you mean later than usual?