• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I just came across this article, and it seems it they revealed it two days ago, but i didn't see a thread about it.

In-game advertisements hit Street Fighter 5 next week, Capcom has announced.
This sponsored content, as Capcom calls it, arrives on 11th December. It'll be displayed in several locations in-game "to remind you about costumes, bundles and the Capcom Pro Tour," Capcom said in a blog post.

You can turn the in-game ads off, but to encourage players to keep them on, you get extra Fight Money in ranked and casual matches when you have sponsored content enabled.
Also, here's the Capcom Unity Blog post about it.

50ddd31ae01334d819ff2ddb557768c9.jpg

Not sure what to make of this. Promoting the Capcom Pro Tour ist all well and good, but I can't shake the feeling that if people getting used to getting rewarded for watching ads, this will lead to full price games being invaded with ads like a f2p cell phone game.

Also, a Reddit picture quoted from said Eurogamer article - the shape of things to come?

jpg

Replace this post with an intrusive, loud advertisement with hard to find mute button if old.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Rocket League was going to have this and the backlash made them reconsider. Now they use them just to advertise their own tournaments and DLC.

I honestly never had a problem with it. Billboards fit the arena vibe or rocket league. But having them on your character is a bit strange.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Too be honest, I'm not even mad about such adds.

When something like that came for the first time to several sports games like UFC Undisputed (3 I think?) And one of the old WWE titles, I thought it was kinda cool to have changing mats in the UFC ring and changing banners in the WWE arenas.

I don't see them as a bad thing, I always loved the dynamic aspect of this "feature".

Status
Not open for further replies.