• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
gamebiz.jp

『ポケモン BD・SP』初週販売本数が全世界600万本突破! リメイク作品ながら新作級のヒットに! | gamebiz

ポケモンは、この日(12月8日)、11月19日に世界同時発売した、シリーズ最新作『ポケットモンスター ブリリアントダイヤモンド』『ポケットモンスター シャイニングパール』が発売初週に全世界で600万本※の販売本数を記録したことを発表した(※任天堂調べ)。本作は、2006年に発売した『ポケットモンスター ダイヤモンド』『ポケットモンスター パール』のリメイク作品。忠実に再現した物語とNintend…

That's an astonishing performance for a remake- roughly what Sword and Shield sold in their first week on sale.

EDIT: A bit of context, courtesy of Serebii:

To put it in perspective (assuming first week is first calendar week)

Sword & Shield did around the same
Let's Go did around half of that at 3 million
Sun & Moon did 7.2 million in the first two weeks
X & Y did 4 million in 2 days
ORAS did 3 million

Sword & Shield are on track to being the 2nd best selling Pokémon games of all time

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Funny, after listening to gaming podcast claiming for months that Nintendo didnt have any big Holiday releases.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
To put it in perspective (assuming first week is first calendar week)

Sword & Shield did around the same
Let's Go did around half of that at 3 million
Sun & Moon did 7.2 million in the first two weeks
X & Y did 4 million in 2 days
ORAS did 3 million

Sword & Shield are on track to being the 2nd best selling Pokémon games of all time

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does certainly feel like BDSP is going to be the one that sells more compared to Legends Arceus.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
3D Pokémon Remakes winning again... somehow they always stay there. I can't stand it.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does certainly feel like BDSP is going to be the one that sells more compared to Legends Arceus.
I mean, that was true even before BDSP burst out of the gates like this. Arceus is going to do perfectly well, no doubt, but traditional Pokémon games haven't been hotter since the days of Pokémania.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have been saying this from the start. People think Legends is going to be the best selling Pokémon game of all time. It's not

It's pretty much the Super Mario Galaxy VS. New Super Mario Bros. Wii situation I feel which I have said in the past. Galaxy may be seen as the more hardcore game by the community, but the market wanted the easier to play 2D Mario which is why New Super Mario sold a lot more on the Wii. This repeated with Super Mario Maker 2 vs. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe this generation. I can imagine a similar outcome with BDSP and Legends Arceus especially as Legends Arceus is a completely new take on the franchise. Only way that's going to change is how the reviews for Legends Arceus play out I think.

I do wonder how the legs for BDSP shake out compared to SwSh, SwSh had no major Pokemon Games to compete with for 2 years and also had DLC to keep it's momentum going (And Pandemic, Pandemic certainly helped a lot). Whilst BDSP has Legends Arceus come out in 2 months. But is Legends Arceus going to have a effect on BDSP sales or is it different enough that it's catering to 2 different markets entirely?

Last edited:

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I have been saying this from the start. People think Legends is going to be the best selling Pokémon game of all time. It's not

My admittedly selfish mind is actually happy about this. I just want traditional Pokemon. Legends: Arceus is taking the franchise in a direction I'm not too excited about. I've spent more hours playing BDSP than any other game this year.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly is the performance of this title indicative of a lesser performance for Legends: Arceus? I say let's wait and see.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How exactly is the performance of this title indicative of a lesser performance for Legends: Arceus? I say let's wait and see.
BDSP, especially in Japan, had equal or higher engagement to Legends

Nobody is saying Legends is going to fail, but people's expectations have been really off for it

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure Legends Arceus is going to sell some 10 million copies because Pokemon tends to do that with Mainline Titles.

Just saying it's probably not going to sell as much as BDSP will in the long run due to the easier and more familiar pick up and play nature of BDSP.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
BDSP, especially in Japan, had equal or higher engagement to Legends

Nobody is saying Legends is going to fail, but people's expectations have been really off for it

From the engagement here on Era, it seemed Legends generated a lot more excitement than the remakes. But you know the more important numbers, so that's interesting to hear, thank you.

I'm sure Legends Arceus is going to sell some 10 million copies because Pokemon tends to do that with Mainline Titles.

Just saying it's probably not going to sell as much as BDSP will in the long run due to the easier and more familiar pick up and play nature of BDSP.

I find this interesting because while people initially called Legends the next mainline title, now it's more commonly referred to as a spin-off. And I understand both POVs for that.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
From the engagement here on Era, it seemed Legends generated a lot more excitement than the remakes. But you know the more important numbers, so that's interesting to hear, thank you.

I find this interesting because while people initially called Legends the next mainline title, now it's more commonly referred to as a spin-off. And I understand both POVs for that.

It's a very interesting thing from my views

Basically

Japan: BDSP did better than Legends on engagement (except when Legends revealed a new Pokémon. New Pokémon always drives engagement)
West: BDSP and Legends did equal in engagement(except when Legends revealed a new Pokémon. New Pokémon always drives engagement)
Hardcore fan communities (Pokémon & Gaming): Legends did better than BDSP on engagement

Japan's preorders for Legends are also less than half what BDSP were at the same point

Legends is 100% a main series game. Main is not a fan term but is officially designated. People are trying to dismiss it but it's not our call

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From the engagement here on Era, it seemed Legends generated a lot more excitement than the remakes.
We're a bubble within a bubble within a bubble here when it comes to Pokémon- if you were to believe what we say, Sword and Shield would be divisive games with no staying power, rather than showing Pokémon's best legs for decades, if not ever.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Out of curiosity, will we (or do we) know what the split is between the two versions?

I chose Shining Pearl because I prefer the trio of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres however, I know that a lot of folks favourites are in Brilliant Diamond.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Legends will sell even more it's crazy that this is even up for debate. "It had more engagement when they revealed new Pokémon" well duh that's what sells Pokémon games lol

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Legends will sell even more it's crazy that this is even up for debate. "It had more engagement when they revealed new Pokémon" well duh that's what sells Pokémon games lol
How do you explain away preorders being far lower than BDSP then?

Out of curiosity, will we (or do we) know what the split is between the two versions?

I chose Shining Pearl because I prefer the trio of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres however, I know that a lot of folks favourites are in Brilliant Diamond.
Diamond is doing better than Pearl, that's all we know really

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Legends is 100% a main series game. Main is not a fan term but is officially designated. People are trying to dismiss it but it's not our call
What good does "officially designated" do if fans don't see it as such? You're kidding yourself if "their call" from a company means anything to the audience unless it lives up to it. Or do you still consider the DS as the "third pillar" to Nintendo systems and not the successor to the GB line? Ultimately, it will depend on the level of success sales-wise and reception of the game if future "main" games play the same.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... palpably not, given what these games are doing without having so much as a single new Pokémon in them.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
How do you explain away preorders being far lower than BDSP then?

Diamond is doing better than Pearl, that's all we know really
It's releasing in January and doesn't have a double pack which is the kind of SKU bought by people who are likely to preorder. All the Legends trailers on YouTube have higher or equal views to BDSP ones, same for Twitter with the exception of the first reveal in Japan which didn't show any new Pokémon yet

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo/TPC/GF laughing all the way to the bank yet again, not that this comes as a big surprise.
After this I can easily see ILCA getting more Pokémon gigs.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... palpably not, given what these games are doing without having so much as a single new Pokémon in them.
Why do you think new generations sell considerably more than any other type of game? Smh the jumps in logic here are novel even for a Pokémon thread.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What good does "officially designated" do if fans don't see it as such? You're kidding yourself if "their call" from a company means anything to the audience unless it lives up to it. Or do you still consider the DS as the "third pillar" to Nintendo systems and not the successor to the GB line? Ultimately, it will depend on the level of success sales-wise and reception of the game if future "main" games play the same.
Because when you say what something is, it either is or it isn't, and this is officially a thing

It's like looking at a dog saying "this is a dog" and a group of people saying "actually we see it as a radish"

It's releasing in January and doesn't have a double pack which is the kind of SKU bought by people who are likely to preorder. All the Legends trailers on YouTube have higher or equal views to BDSP ones, same for Twitter with the exception of the first reveal in Japan which didn't show any new Pokémon yet
You overestimate the impact of the Double Pack SKU, which is listed separately I might add so wasn't included in the numbers.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think new generations sell considerably more than any other type of game? Smh the jumps in logic here are novel even for a Pokémon thread.
It all depends on legs (and I don't expect these games to have notable legs or any DLC), but BDSP is not selling considerably less than any previous Pokémon game thus far.

I also don't think the handful of Pokémon it looks like we're getting from Arceus are going to move the needle, any more than Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon got a huge sales boost because of Poipole, Blacephalon and Stakataka.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Because when you say what something is, it either is or it isn't, and this is officially a thing

It's like looking at a dog saying "this is a dog" and a group of people saying "actually we see it as a radish"

You overestimate the impact of the Double Pack SKU, which is listed separately I might add so wasn't included in the numbers.
I always included all the numbers from various SKUs when looking at preorders

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't pre-order numbers on COMG for Legends on par of BD/SP or something? Like I am not saying it will sell the same amount but considering that Legends is neck and neck with BD/SP seems pretty impressive.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
GEO Stores had this to say regarding Legends:

"This week, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl dominates 1st to 3rd place. It is a big favourite title of the year-end sales season and sales are almost the same as Pokemon Sword / Shield that released two years ago, which was expected and we are paying attention to the number of sales in the future. Pokemon Legends: Arceus is scheduled to go on sale in January next year and expectations for this title are even higher."

Thanks to Chris from install base for the translation

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Very happy with these numbers, the game is way better than I expected, even with the several bugs and lack of Platinum stuff.

I also don't see Arceus coming close to it, even being a main title, it's straight up not traditional Pokémon and those never come close in terms of sales.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
good boycott y'all
This seems like a made up fact. I don't think I can think of anyone who gets the double pack and I know a lot of core Pokémon fans.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much the Super Mario Galaxy VS. New Super Mario Bros. Wii situation I feel which I have said in the past. Galaxy may be seen as the more hardcore game by the community, but the market wanted the easier to play 2D Mario which is why New Super Mario sold a lot more on the Wii. This repeated with Super Mario Maker 2 vs. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe this generation. I can imagine a similar outcome with BDSP and Legends Arceus especially as Legends Arceus is a completely new take on the franchise. Only way that's going to change is how the reviews for Legends Arceus play out I think.

I do wonder how the legs for BDSP shake out compared to SwSh, SwSh had no major Pokemon Games to compete with for 2 years and also had DLC to keep it's momentum going (And Pandemic, Pandemic certainly helped a lot). Whilst BDSP has Legends Arceus come out in 2 months. But is Legends Arceus going to have a effect on BDSP sales or is it different enough that it's catering to 2 different markets entirely?
I like how you skipped that Odyssey and possibly 3D World will outsell Deluxe. Not that I don't think a new 2D Mario would probably outsell all of those games if given enough time and the system it was on wasn't a failure.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's a good game. Well reviewed. Powerful franchise. I don't get the surprise.

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
Great result, matching SwSh is impressive. And the holidays are still ahead. I wonder if these will be the first remakes to hit new gen numbers.

I have no idea what to expect from Legends, I still feel it comes way too soon after these, but we'll see.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats, I guess. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it contrary to the mostly negative reception before release. I might check it out later down the line. Legends of Arceus is where my mind is on right now.

That said, looking at the sales data, Let's Go deserved better sales imo. One of my favourite Pokemon games. The Shiny Hunting was so fun.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, I guess. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it contrary to the mostly negative reception before release. I might check it out later down the line. Legends of Arceus is where my mind is on right now.

That said, looking at the sales data, Let's Go deserved better sales imo. One of my favourite Pokemon games. The Shiny Hunting was so fun.
I mean, if BDSP hadn't been made, Let's Go would have ended up being the best selling remake in the franchise.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020

I think that's a bizarre analogy, but if we're sticking with it, it's more like a dog breeder crossing a poodle with a terrier and insisting it still counts as a poodle.

Well, maybe they can label it and think of it that way, but it remains to be seen if the general public think the same.

I agree that Legends won't sell as well btw, I just find it strange to think that a company labelling something as "main" is any more valid than what the public considers "main". These aren't absolutes in nature where you can say it is what it is, it's all a matter of perception.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy sales. Tbh I was turn off at the start during the reveal but subsequent trailers was pulling me back.