• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

TOKYO -- The Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education has issued a notice to all metropolitan junior and senior high schools that forbids them from instructing students to dye their hair black when it is naturally another color.

Until now, the board of education had verbally asked schools to stop instructing black hair dyeing. But after hearing calls that inappropriate guidance remains a deep-rooted issue, it decided to indicate clearly in writing its motion to ban the practice.

The notice, dated Sept. 4, demands that schools respect students' human rights when providing instructions on hair colors and dealing with problematic behavior. Moreover, it specifies that schools are "not to instruct students to dye their natural hair color black without any exceptions."

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
First off, this is really good, and I appreciate finally stopping such a stupid practice.

Second, what the hell, they ENFORECE black haircolour in freaking SCHOOL!?!

that's super fucked up! Glad it's stopping, but holy hell!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. You're telling me Japan's schools forced its kids to die their color black if it naturally wasn't black ? wtf?

The idea is that black hair is "normal" and deviation from the norm is a sort of... rebellion against the school uniform. Whether it's auburn or hot pink, either way, you're the nail that's sticking out.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you have a population that's 98% ethnically homogeneous.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea is that black hair is "normal" and deviation from the norm is a sort of... rebellion against the school uniform. Whether it's auburn or hot pink, either way, you're the nail that's sticking out.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you have a population that's 98% ethnically homogeneous.
Seems more like disputes between people with natural brown hair than rebels with dyed hair.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It's like a "don't dye your hair" rule was written very vaguely a long time ago and has been enforced as "everyone must have black hair" ever since because nobody wanted to rock the boat by trying to change the rule's wording.
You mean high school animes were a lie?!

Forced dying is pretty fucked up.
I would assume all the crazy hair colors in japanese media are partly stemmed from people feeling so stifled and forced into conformity during actual school and work life.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
This issue was in the courts 2 years ago in Osaka:

An 18-year-old teen has filed a suit seeking ¥2.2 million ($19,000) in damages from the Osaka Prefectural Government, alleging her public high school demanded that she dye her naturally brown hair black to continue attending classes.

The prefectural government, which runs Kaifukan High School in Habikino, requested the Osaka District Court dismiss the teenager's lawsuit at the first hearing on Friday.

Her mother had informed the school before the teenager started attending that her hair was naturally brown, but teachers repeatedly ordered the student to dye it black, according to the petition the plaintiff submitted to the court.

The student developed a rash and scalp pain after dyeing her hair repeatedly but her teachers continued telling her that her hair was not black enough, demanding she comply or leave the school, the petition said.

During a conversation with her mother, the school said it would even demand that blond foreign students dye their hair black because that was the rule, it said.

Many Japanese high schools ban students from dyeing their hair, and some demand that those with naturally brown hair submit documents stating their hair is not black.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
B-b-but muh military discipline!

Not sure if that's the reason of why they did this in Japan, but when teachers and parents get super intense about school uniforms and hair in students because "military discipline", it makes me feel really uncomfortable.

If this is not the case in here, disregard this post.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait. You're telling me Japan's schools forced its kids to die their color black if it naturally wasn't black ? wtf?

Absolutely.
Anecdotally, I have a half-Spanish friend who grew up here. She was forced to dye her hair black during her entire childhood.
In a delightfully absurd manner, school officials always brought up the same excuse when my friend's mother tried to protest: "our school enforces a strict no-hair-dying policy, therefore your child has to dye her hair black".

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is that forced dyeing is partially a race thing, with brown hair being associated with targeted ethnicities such as the Ainu. Does anyone know if that's correct?

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing. Wtf?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's an improvement, but the forced dying practice still happens at work which sucks. Wife had to do that for one of her jobs.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
How the Osaka case lead to a survey/ad campaign this year and then an online petition that led to this new ban in Tokyo:

While the [Osaka case] discussion continued in the background, P&G's Pantene brand was preparing its #HairWeGo What's Wrong With My Hair campaign in Japan, surveying 1,000 current and former high school and middle school students and teachers about hair dyeing and other hair care rules. The campaign, launched on March 18th, discovered that one in 13 current and former middle and high school students said they had been "urged" to dye their brown hair black. Moreover, 87% of teachers expressed a need for change in hairstyle rules at their school.

In late April, a petition, written in both Japanese and English, was launched on the Change.org platform, directly inspired by Pantene's campaign, called #What's Wrong With My Hair? Stop Telling Students To Dye Their Hair Black (In the original Japanese: #この髪どうしてダメですか? 地毛の黒染め指導はやめてください ). According to the organizers:

"In this signature campaign, we will focus on 'the issue of the instruction of forcing natural hair dye black.' We will work on the issue throughout positive 'talk' with not only students and teachers but also an entire society. The collected signatures will be submitted to the Governor of Tokyo and the Chairman of the Board of Education of Tokyo, and we would like to help to eliminate 'the issue of forcing natural hair dye black."

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
My understanding is that forced dyeing is partially a race thing, with brown hair being associated with targeted ethnicities such as the Ainu. Does anyone know if that's correct?
It's much more likely that it's an attempt at enforcing conformity than anything else. Japanese schools have been notoriously authoritarian for basically forever. At least (probably) nobody died from this rule.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's much more likely that it's an attempt at enforcing conformity than anything else. Japanese schools have been notoriously authoritarian for basically forever. At least (probably) nobody died from this rule.
The only reason that non black hair is seen as non conforming is because they believe black hair is the norm. Which is racist.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
Now to wait 20 years before they do the same thing for college graduates seeming employment... *crickets*

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The only reason that non black hair is seen as non conforming is because they believe black hair is the norm. Which is racist.
I don't think that this is born from racism. It's primarily a method of enforcing the original no-dye rule, and doing it in the most ham-fisted way imaginable.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not misremembering, this was a minor plot point early in The Twelve Kingdoms (anime, not sure about the novels). The main character, Youko, had naturally red hair, and got in trouble with her school for not dyeing it black (...under the assumption that she was a delinquent who was secretly dyeing her hair red and lying about it).

She had red hair because she, uh, wasn't exactly Japanese by birth...

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a thing I literally could not understand in 12 Kingdoms as a plot point until I read more about it.
Hair color seems it was (still is?) a major hang up in schools in Japan.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Freaking finally. This has been such a horrendous thing, especially for exchange students/people of different ethnicity. There are some cases where natural brown haired Japanese students had to dye their hair black as well.

It's all dehumanizing. But Japan wants you to blend into their ideal society.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
More enforced homogeneity in a culture that near-universally asks school students to wear regulation uniforms and adults to adhere to stringent dress codes? Colour me shocked.

In all seriousness, though, this is supremely over the line and I'm glad that it's done with in this school district.
It's an improvement, but the forced dying practice still happens at work which sucks. Wife had to do that for one of her jobs.
The folks in this thread saying "but it's just a few school districts" seem to need a reality check, because this practice is sounding a lot more prevalent than they realize, if it's a practice that lasts into adulthood.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
It became racist. If you didn't look like them, then they tell you to conform... by violating the original rule.
Only in the sense that it's common for authoritarian measures to be used in racist ways; even if they weren't originally conceived that way. That doesn't make it any better mind you.

That's such a fucked up policy. Glad that's over.
It's only over in Tokyo. Tokyo is a huge part of Japan, but it's a policy that's everywhere and this is just a start.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
My daughter is a mix and wants to one day possibly study abroad in Japan. But shit like forced hair dying gets me worried.

I know it's a little off topic but is it true mixed or non Japanese children get picked on a lot?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I get the sense that this comes across as harsher outside of the country. It's a strict and ill-conceived rule one way or the other, but it's not as hard to view it as not having particularly hostile intentions when you consider that most of the world has natural black hair, including the dominant ethnic group in Japan and probably a lot of the non-European immigrants as well. Hell, I was confused when some of my mixed-racial nephews turned out to have brown hair because I thought that would be dominant gene'd out by my (South Asian) side of the family.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
I get the sense that this comes across as harsher outside of the country. It's a strict and ill-conceived rule one way or the other, but it's not as hard to view it as not having particularly hostile intentions when you consider that most of the world has natural black hair, including the dominant ethnic group in Japan and probably a lot of the non-European immigrants as well. Hell, I was confused when some of my mixed-racial nephews turned out to have brown hair because I thought that would be dominant gene'd out by my (South Asian) side of the family.

Your logic (I use the term VERY lightly) could basically be used to discriminate against/oppress any minority. "Hey it's not malicious/discrimination to ban homosexuality when you consider that most people in this world are heterosexual" etc etc etc.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Your logic (I use the term VERY lightly) could basically be used to discriminate against/oppress any minority. "Hey it's not malicious/discrimination to ban homosexuality when you consider that most people in this world are heterosexual" etc etc etc.
I didn't say it wasn't discriminatory or that it couldn't be used against minorities. I said it comes across harsher in areas where this rule would come up way more often.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
School hair policies are just as racist in Japan as they are in the US. Minority students are disproportionately and agresively targeted. This article is over 10 years old btw:

So nice to see Tokyo shaping up with the Olympics around the corner and the World's eyes watching. I wonder if, and when, the other prefectures will follow.

Thanks for posting this. This shows issues larger than just hair (and not limited to Tokyo):

Some schools are even refusing to enrollNJ children. Claiming "a lack of facilities," they note that compulsory education isonly guaranteed to Japanese citizens.
What other choices do they have? Ethnic schools, perhaps. But, unaccredited by the Ministry of Education, they go unfunded and become too expensive for laborers. And graduates of these schools cannot enter many of Japan's premier universities anyway.