• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
I diddnt get it for switch but rereleasing my favorite game right before wolfenstein was a mistake, i hardly touched it cause im just Dooming it up atm

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well it's the better game.

I'm guessing that Youngblood did not do well. Hopefully the game can be patched enough to be decent.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I think the real take from this is people prefer the more expensive Doom 3 over the cheaper Doom II

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
"The re-release of The Beatles White Album sold more than the brand new SisQó EP."

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
A bonafide classic at a $5 impulse purchase price beat out a $30 release that's been received poorly?

Man, I'm surprised.

Oct 27, 2017
Think the comparison is silly but I've been enjoying Doom and Doom 3 waaaaay more than I expected.

I think I'd be open to more classic shooters of this ilk than ports of current ones so I'm glad they've sold well.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess what. Some 19 cent games outsell Mario Odyssey every month, too.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Youngblood isn't a particularly appealing game on the big consoles. On Switch it's straight up "ah hell na" territory.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Threads like this just have me wondering why people turn on games or game series so quickly. Like it's one thing to dislike a game but people seem to revel in it.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Doom on switch was an impulse buy for me as I'm sure it was for a lot of other people

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean....doom was also 5 bucks and one of the most influential games of all time. Thats an easy buy, whereas a 30 dollar spin off might not be

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
You can easily get Doom with just the spare gold coins sitting in your wallet. That's what I would do instead of spending $40 on a new game. They're not of comparable value.

I love just logging on, finding some dirt cheap game discounted for like 95% and dropping some of my coins to "buy" it. Seriously considered doing it for doom but I only have like 350 coins left and I wasn't about to spend any actual money on a game I already own like 10 times over. When it goes on sale for 90% off next year for like $0.49/49 coins, then I'll buy it.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Today, I was looking at rankings on Nintendo eShop for July 2019:

EB7ngCNX4AACrdR
Doom games and Wolfenstein: Youngblood weren't in PlayStation Store top 20 for July 2019:
EB7nr9HWwAYbGSI

Crazy. I think the only definite conclusion we can draw here is that Switch and PS4 owners don't hate Nazis

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, absolutely. The game bombed everywhere. But I found it funny that Doom games did so well the same month. Bethesda really don't have success outside of Doom, Elder Scrolls or Fallout games.
Doom hasn't been on a Nintendo console since 64, You surprise people with that announcement at a bargain price and people latch onto it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Switch port of Wolfenstein was bad to boot

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think the comparison makes sense. They are both the same genre and from the same publisher. Doom is cheaper but it's also an almost 30 years old game. If you cannot outsell that it's because your game isn't doing well. And that is the point of the OP. A correct one probably.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think the comparison makes sense. They are both the same genre and from the same publisher. Doom is cheaper but it's also an almost 30 years old game. If you cannot outsell that it's because your game isn't doing well. And that is the point of the OP. A correct one probably.
You would have somewhat of a point if Wolfenstein 2 was a eShop only release or at least wouldn't have gotten mixed reviews.

The comparison is a joke - of course a proven classic for five bucks is gonna outsell a average Wolfenstein spin-off on the eShop.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
The list in the OP is based on paid downloads, including DLC. Youngblood has a weird price structure that would hurt it in this type of chart. The game has a Buddy Pass that allows anyone and everyone (it's a multi-use code) to play the game for free as long as they are playing with the account that gave them the code.

Games with a free download, like Youngblood or Fortnite, are not even listed on the in-system eshop proper rankings. But you can check their overall downloads over the last two weeks in the system's search feature. Right now, in the US, Youngblood is currently listed between DBFZ (#2 on the best seller chart because of a sale) and Hulu. That places it well above any of the Doom games. So the game is getting some notice, this is just not noticeable in the comparison being made in the OP.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
there is some negativity regarding the port of droom (bethesda account, slow soundtrack), but nowhere near the bad reception young blood got (and let's be honest, the switch port runs very poorly), also yes, it's cheap.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I mean one is a celebrated milestone in games AND is only 5 bucks while the other isn't nearly as well known and is like 10x the price lol.

Bad comparison.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of comparison is that?

I didn't buy Youngblood because of the poor reception. I will play the shit out of Doom Eternal on Switch though.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The list in the OP is based on paid downloads, including DLC. Youngblood has a weird price structure that would hurt it in this type of chart. The game has a Buddy Pass that allows anyone and everyone (it's a multi-use code) to play the game for free as long as they are playing with the account that gave them the code.

Games with a free download, like Youngblood or Fortnite, are not even listed on the in-system eshop proper rankings. But you can check their overall downloads over the last two weeks in the system's search feature. Right now, in the US, Youngblood is currently listed between DBFZ (#2 on the best seller chart because of a sale) and Hulu. That places it well above any of the Doom games. So the game is getting some notice, this is just not noticeable in the comparison being made in the OP.

Well, that's a much better explanation than "Doom is cheaper".

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's a much better explanation than "Doom is cheaper".

It's not just "Doom is cheaper". It's "Doom is cheaper, Doom is an all-time classic, and Youngblood had a mixed reception".

Personally, after The New Colossus, I didn't even consider Youngblood. I purchased all three Doom games on Switch as soon as they appeared on the eShop.