• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Hello!

We wanted to start by sharing a giant troll-sized thank you! In just 13 days Valheim has been purchased by over two million Vikings, and this weekend we reached a new peak concurrent player milestone of 360,000!

Forget longboats, we have now blown a 700+ year old record by boasting the largest Viking population in all of human history. For reference, the previous peak in Viking numbers was set in 1300 AD and was approximately 500,000.

Everyone at Iron Gate has really been appreciating all the messages, love, questions and thoughts from all of you, so please keep them coming! And again, a big thank you to all of you for helping us reach this ridiculous milestone in under two weeks of sailing onto Early Access.

We're so excited to continue working with you all to reach Asgard together, and we'll be sharing more soon on what's next.

Praise Odin!

The Iron Gate Team

For Reference: Valheim hits one million sales

Source: Valheim Steam Community announcement

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Is this game any good? Every time I see it on Twitch, the user is having to frequently stop whatever they were doing to rest, or becomes over encumbered due to item capacity (it seems). It makes the viewing a little boring tbh.

Argos7

Nov 20, 2020
Is this game any good? Every time I see it on Twitch, the user is having to frequently stop whatever they were doing to rest, or becomes over encumbered due to item capacity (it seems). It makes the viewing a little boring tbh.
Naw, they are selling millions of copies because it sucks. If you like building / survival games then I'd check it out.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People sleep on Coffee Stain as a dev and pub, but have like 3 million + sellers in the past year or so.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Satisfactory 1.3 million copies sold as of June 2020
Valheim, over 2 million copies sold
Deep Rock Galactic, over 2 million copies sold as of January 2021
Goat Simulator, over 2.5 million copies sold as of 2015

Embracer keeps winning.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I totally got sucked into the viral hype, but definitely getting my money's worth out of the game.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
With a story, NPCs, and quests?
Story yes, NPCs idk I'm still early, quests more self-directed.

There's a giant crow that gives tutorial tips and appears after milestones the helps give direction in a way most survival games don't. The world feels authored (actually are procedurally generated maps) in terms of which biomes hold the next progressional step in a way an open world rpg would.

Feels like I'm playing an Elder Scrolls 76 imo

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Satisfactory 1.3 million copies sold as of June 2020
Valheim, over 2 million copies sold
Deep Rock Galactic, over 2 million copies sold as of January 2021
Goat Simulator, over 2.5 million copies sold as of 2015

Embracer keeps winning.
Of these I've only played Deep Rock, but I fucking love it. If Satisfactory came to Xbox I would absolutely play that as well

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
How complex is the crafting? That was my biggest issue with the Conan survival game, too many intermediary steps to craft anything.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Surely AC: Valhalla has the biggest Viking Population?

How much did that sell?

Good numbers though!

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How complex is the crafting? That was my biggest issue with the Conan survival game, too many intermediary steps to craft anything.
It's not. You go to correct crafting station and it'll tell you what you need. Also, tools have durability, but they don't break when they run out, you just go back to the table and repair them for free. Tools and Gear also have upgrades that work the same way.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Resting is an optional health and stamina regen buff and gained just by being in a house for 30 seconds, even if you're stashing your gathered stuff into chests or repairing gear. The duration of the buff depends on the comfort level of the house, I think it's something like 7 minutes + 1 minute per comfort level so my slightly decorated house gives like 15 minutes. Sleeping the night away is also a good idea to reduce monster encounters. Encumberance is only an issue when harvesting heavier materials like wood, stone and ore. When you're just out gathering flowers, fruit or monster loot it's usually not a concern. You can build a cart to pull along with you that you can load up with all the heavy stuff and just pull it along, it gets unwieldier the heavier it is but it doesn't stop. Ships larger than the raft also have storage boxes which can equally be loaded up with heavy stuff.

There's very little in terms of intermediate materials, almost everything is built directly from raw materials. I think the exceptions are mostly the nails that you have to make out of ingots. Also anything you place in the world can be destroyed for a full refund.

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
Is this a game that can be played solo? From this thread it's sounding kind of like Subnautica which is my favorite survival game because of the open world and story that pushes you to explore and craft new things.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a game that can be played solo? From this thread it's sounding kind of like Subnautica which is my favorite survival game because of the open world and story that pushes you to explore and craft new things.
I enjoy it as a solo experience as well as one with friends. It does become MUCH harder solo. With friends it almost turns into another game.

But solo isn't like a crazy survival game, it just makes exploring, especially at night, much more tense.

My friends have all blown past me, so I pretty much only play solo now. Logging onto their server and seeing all their progression is overwhelming.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing numbers! Me and my brothers added 3 over the weekend! The game seems really great so far and we're only a couple of hours in!

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Valheim is the first survival game since NMS to hook me. Picked it up and set up a dedicated server for a few friends, and we've l put 15+ hours into the game in the last 3 days. It's really great and relaxing with moments of tension and exhilaration in contrast to most survival games.

Dec 23, 2017
2 million already? That was fast!

I beat all the bosses currently available solo, it took me 88 hours.

It was a blast from start to end, some frustrating moments but it wouldn't be a survival game if it didn't have them.

A few stuttering issues, mostly during world saving, but for $20 it's well worth it. There is a TON of content here already to justify a purchase and plays really well.