• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
My parents bought me a NES with Super Mario bros/Duck Hunt for Christmas on 1989 when we were on a trip to Disney World. I was just 4 years old.

Since then I have been a gamer and I have made so many unforgettable memories!

-On 1993 I received a SNES on Christmas
-On 1997 I received a N64 on Christmas
-On 1998 my aunt bought me a Gameboy Color
-On 1999 I received a PSX on Christmas
-On 2001 my uncle bought me a Gamecube
-On 2002 I received a GBA on Christmas
-On 2004 I bought my first console(Xbox) with my own money
-On 2005 I bought my first console(360) on launch day
-On Christmas 2005 I bought a NDS
-On 2006 I bought Wii
-On 2011 I bought a 3DS(traded for a 3DS XL in 2014 and then traded for a N3DS in 2016)
-On 2012 I bought a WiiU
-On 2015 I bought a XBOX One(traded for the X on 2018)
-On 2017 I bought a Switch.

Games that made a huge impact on me

-Super Mario Bros
-Super Mario World
-Super Mario Kart
-Mortal Kombat 1,2 and ultimate
-Street Fighter II
-Turtles in Time
-Contra 3
-Mario 64
-Zelda OOT
-Golden Eye
-FIFA 98: Road To World Cup
-Driver
-Melee
-Metroid Prime
-Halo 2
-Halo 4
-Super Mario Galaxy
-The Witcher 3
-Zelda BOTW

I just wanted to share my history with video games. Happy birthday to me as a gamer. Looking forward for another 30 years

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Always jealous to see people that got access to that many consoles as children.
Just got a GameBoy and a PSP lol (still grateful).

Anyway, happy birthday OP

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I had a PC before the SNES (rather than a NES) but otherwise our early gaming "careers" are very similar. Super Mario Kart and Street Fighter 2 still define what I look for in modern games, and playing Doom 2 co-op and my deathmatch with my dad when it released - I was 12 at the time - led me into a long love affair with FPSs that continues today.

Over the years I've owned multiple PCs, the aforementioned SNES, a Game Gear, an N64, a Dreamcast, an Xbox, a GameCube, a Wii, an Xbox 360, a PS3, a PSP, a PS4, and a Switch. I'm actually going into the next generation with really high hopes, too; I've loved gaming over the last year, and as I start to approach 40, I'm not sure I see that changing any time soon - if ever.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I started out a little later at about 8, but I'm 38 this year so I'm in the same boat I suppose! We did have an Odyssey 2 before the NES, but I never really paid much attention to it. When I played SMB 1 for the first time I was hooked and never looked back.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Started out with pirated Commodore-128 games in the late 80's myself so I've stuck with it for about the same amount of time. I sadly can't remember which was my first game. Went on to the Mega Drive (Genesis) and thereafter I switched to the PlayStation brand. Went multiplat when I was old enough to be able to afford it, back in the PS360 days.

I genuinely think gaming is better than ever and VR has been an absolutely insane leap for gaming this gen. It will be even better next.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Probably started around like 4 years old, playing Mario Kart and yoshi's story on the N64 (badly mind you). My parents bought a N64 after my brother was in surgery, but I guess we shared it.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
30 years and the only Sony console you've had was the first PlayStation? You're missing out on a load of amazing games my friend.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
30 years and the only Sony console you've had was the first PlayStation? You're missing out on a load of amazing games my friend.
Not really. The only game I wanted on the PS2 was GTA3 and Vice city which were exclusive at the time but I played them when they became multiplatform. Same with Metal Gear Solid 2. Don't care about the Sony exclusives.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really. The only game I wanted on the PS2 was GTA3 and Vice city which were exclusive at the time but I played them when they became multiplatform. Same with Metal Gear Solid 2. Don't care about the Sony exclusives.
Your loss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Not all of Sony's fist party's are great, but there's generally something there for everyone, and the PS2 has one of the best libraries out there.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
My first game was Pong. That belonged to my uncle, I just played it at his house. That was in the late 70's, probably 78 or 79.

The first console we owned was a 2600, got for Christmas in 1981, I think. So next year will be my 40th as a game owner, 42nd or so since I first played.

Kudos to all of us old lifers here! Time well spent, I say!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My first time was sometime in 1992. I was only two and didn't know what the heck was going on anywhere, but I remember playing Super Mario Bros on the NES. There is a picture of it too.

Congrats on the anniversary!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on the 30 year mark, Slipnot666. NES with SMB/Duck Hunt is awesome stuff to start with.

I'm a decade older and have been gaming for 40 or so years. It's crazy to think of how many games I played by the end of the '80s (more than I can keep track of on the Commodore 64 and arcade alone). I think I got Ninja Gaiden (NES), Time Soldiers (SMS), and Lord of the Sword (SMS) for Christmas 1989.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Hit the same mark myself this year. NES that Christmas, Genesis the next..and on and on.

How the heck did you make it through 30 years with only the original PS, though!?

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I first encountered an NES through a spoiled friend of a friend in like 88 as a kid. Kid had like a small wall of games... My first console was an Atari-whatever that my mom got me at a yard sale and I was super disappointed but Pitfall was cool. Then my first real system was a Gameboy and the rest is the typical 90s kid gaming.

Cool to see people of a particular age still gaming. At 36, I'm probably old enough to be a JRPG protagonist's dead father who never said he was proud of him.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
One of my fondest memory as a kid was going to the arcades and they always were packed with people. I remember one mall having to big arcade places. It was glorious.

Those 8 players Daytona USA cabinets were insane!!
g2ouopg38ml21.jpg

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
30 years here too and it keeps getting harder to find games that I really enjoy playing, when I was younger I could pretty much enjoy anything I played no matter what it was

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! Technically this is my 30th year too. First time I played a video game was Super Mario Bros. 2 on my cousins NES in 1989. We borrowed my cousin's NES for a month following year. I didn't receive my own console until 1992 when my father bought SNES + GameBoy as a reward for passing an English exam.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yo, this is almost exactly the same for me! Except I'm not 100% sure if it was this close to Christmas.

Back in 1989 we moved from NJ to CA, and part of cheering me and my sister up from doing the big move was getting us an NES.

Anywho, congrats on 30 years of gaming! Not sure what those "big impact" refers to, but for me I've ended up working in TV / film / game industry.

Shame you aren't interested in Sony exclusives. Your loss :P