• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boycott?

• Yes

Votes: 601 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 390 37.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 54 5.2%

• Total voters

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I've never owned an Apple device and won't ever own one. Their software won't ever make its way onto any of the hardware I use.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, but I have been having doubts. The last Mac I bought (2018 Mini) is trash, Catalina is a trash update (major Bluetooth dropout issues that don't affect any other device I have), and I've been thinking of leaving the ecosystem for a while, as work has become a chore on my Apple devices.

But I was willing to put up with it to see if Apple improved in a year or two. But this shit of cowtowing to the nazi capitalist dictatorship in China has made me instantly cancel my Apple Arcade subscription, and I'm seriously considering ditching all my Apple devices ASAP.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
when these things are posted ... they often come off as an opportunity to be racist against Chinese people or shit on companies against which some people already have an axe to grind

Yep. A lot of people have an intense and irrational hatred of Apple (see many posts in this thread). I'm sure they're absolutely loving this.

Much like the Apple Foxcon "scandal" Apple are targeted not because they're any morally worse than anyone else but simply because they're a bigger target.

The best is the people feeling morally superior about not buying Apple products and instead buying... Chinese ones... wait...

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy apple products as is so its pretty easy for me to not support them I guess. Google is no better though honestly so I'm not going to look down on those that do.

Oct 27, 2017
Should I avoid the entirety of China when I'm decrying bowing down to government pressure for a shot at getting into their market?

This is of course common knowledge, but Chinese business and the Chinese government are inseparable, so yes, if you actually care about this issue, supporting any Chinese brand is far worse than supporting Apple.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No, I quite like my iPhone 11 Pro Max, AirPods, iPad Air 3, Apple TV 4K & MacBook Pro.

I don't game on these devices much, but if I do, I do.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is of course common knowledge, but Chinese business and the Chinese government are inseparable, so yes, if you actually care about this issue, supporting any Chinese brand is far worse than supporting Apple.
Erasing a country's presence willingly is not the same thing as buying a Chinese phone and is a much more harmful process though. There's no nuance if the level of argument is that people are too mean against Apple. Inseparability doesn't mean they are a monolith acting in tandem in every way, especially as Xiaomi seeks to have a broader international presence. Seeing even western companies bowing down sends a stronger message of how far they're willing to go on the government's demands.

And I didn't buy it new anyway so it's not like I gave money to China personally.

failgubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It's hilarious that the thread turns out like a "Apple is for sheeps, im faaaaaar more intelligent to ever use an Apple device" lmao when every single company is doing the same thing, at least in the west Apple cares about privacy unlike Google.

With that said i wanted to say that it's disgusting that any company is a hitman for the Chinese government. The problem is capitalism getting in the way of human rights and democracy and like i said, it's fucking disgusting, human lives don't matter at all, look at Boeing with the Max 8, killing 300+ just for the bottom line.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like this thread is just using the current situation in China and Hong Kong to shit on Apple tbh.

Pretty disgusting.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'll never go back to Android and I love my iPhone so I don't see myself boycotting apple in that area. Was never interested in their games thing but I'm not going to lie and say "yeah of course I'm going to boycott that!" When I had no interest to begin with. But I guess not signing up for it counts for something.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I actually really like android but the iPhone is just better and higher quality than any android phone . They all feel cheap in comparison and the iPhone plus Mac book eco system is too good for me business wise.
so no

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Should I avoid the entirety of China when I'm decrying bowing down to government pressure for a shot at getting into their market?

I don't think there's an easy way to avoid the Chinese market but not buying a Chinese phone is probably the absolute lowest effort. Either way "I don't buy Apple because of China, I bought a Chinese phone instead" is eye rolling. It's fine if you don't like Apple but don't pretend it's because of China.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there's an easy way to avoid the Chinese market but not buying a Chinese phone is probably the absolute lowest effort. Either way "I don't buy Apple because of China, I bought a Chinese phone instead" is eye rolling. It's fine if you don't like Apple but don't pretend it's because of China.
Sure, every critic is just hellbent on getting Apple's head on a plate.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I had an iphone before the events......but i don't play games on it, and have no intention of paying for their gamepass thing.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Never liked Apple so this is an easy boycott.

They are way worse than Blizzard in regards to bending over for China, but will only receive a tiny amount of criticism in comparison. Too many Apples stans.

It's hilarious seeing this thread in contrast to the Blizzard thread.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xiaomi is a company that just makes phones and puts standard Android on them. They don't run the OS and cloud systems of hundreds of millions of people, gloat about privacy and values, and then bend over to the Chinese government.

Not sure where you get your info from but they are the largest smartphone company in China and have their own cloud services that hosts people's data in China, therefore requiring those back doors.

It's also been suspected that these phones have backdoors as well.

I get people want to boycott apple and jump ship, but these companies y'all choose are far more sketchier than you think.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for letting us know you got a ceramic watch. Everyone was wondering if you got the poor person $400 version, but now we know you in fact got the $1,000+ wealthy person version.
And it's your business to comment on his purchase because? He's provided a reason as to why he won't "boycott" Apple the same as others commented with "apples products are shit" to justify their actions.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I plan to boycott on Uncharted 5 which is exclusively on iPhone

Golden

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Yes, have been boycotting them for years

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I don't own Apple products and haven't for years. Never had an iPhone and never will

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Never liked Apple so this is an easy boycott.

They are way worse than Blizzard in regards to bending over for China, but will only receive a tiny amount of criticism in comparison. Too many Apples stans.

It's hilarious seeing this thread in contrast to the Blizzard thread.
Nah, both critics are justified. There is no fanboy group better than the other. And I hope it will get bigger coverage for all the other companies wrongdoings like Microsoft for instance.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I voted no. The only Apple device I have is an iphone 8 provided by my employer since the nature of my job requires it. My employer unfortunately cannot simply provide a new phone model at one's wish.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I cannot show up one day to work and say "i refuse to use these macs cause i'm boycotting apple". Theres a practical limit on how much one can do. I dont use iPhones anyway, so at least that i can do.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The reaction to the Blizzard shit show was way way bigger than I expected on resetera. This place seems to have a blind spot for supporting companies that support the Chinese government.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Why solely their gaming products and not all of their products? Especially in light of the unlimited access they give to all their devices

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm not willing to boycott their products.

I'm not getting them because I've never been interested.

Dec 31, 2017
Same as with the Blizzard thing, I can definitely say that no, I won't stop supporting the company. I love their products and it doesn't really matter to me. And I'm sorry to say this but I doubt any amount of boycott will have any effect. As with the Blizzard boycott, everyone I've talked to in really life didn't really care.

Honestly when you think about it, Blizzard reverted just for a bit of positive press their way. But the reality is that once Blizzcon starts all will be forgotten. Wait for Apple to post their next fiscal numbers, I doubt any of this will have a negative effect. The Internet always makes things seem bigger than they are because in the real world, when I ask around, most people are not aware or don't care about these things.

Also, 2 pages of shitting on Apple for no reason as other have mentioned, so kind of pointless imo.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Same as with the Blizzard thing, I can definitely say that no, I won't stop supporting the company. I love their products and it doesn't really matter to me. And I'm sorry to say this but I doubt any amount of boycott will have any effect. As with the Blizzard boycott, everyone I've talked to in really life didn't really care.

Honestly when you think about it, Blizzard reverted just for a bit of positive press their way. But the reality is that once Blizzcon starts all will be forgotten. Wait for Apple to post their next fiscal numbers, I doubt any of this will have a negative effect. The Internet always makes things seem bigger than they are because in the real world, when I ask around, most people are not aware or don't care about these things.

Also, 2 pages of shitting on Apple for no reason as other have mentioned, so kind of pointless imo.
siri will get a default optout function from using the recorded audiofiles. protests like the recent ones are desperately needed. these kind of threads however are mostly fan wars.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I didn't buy it new anyway so it's not like I gave money to China personally.

Why give them money when you give them your data?

I get people want to boycott but this isn't like Blizzard where you can just decide to not use their products because hundreds of other products exist on the market made by different people. China has their hand in everything, and going down the route of choosing a Chinese company to stick it to the Chinese government because you didn't do enough research is literally worse than doing nothing and staying with Apple or Google etc.