• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boycott?

• Yes

Votes: 601 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 390 37.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 54 5.2%

• Total voters

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what about..?
If that's the first thing that came to your mind reading the title, please do make another topic for that. Thank you.

Alright, so thanks to this list compiled by Liyfda, we know that Apple has its own questionable decisions too regarding their Chinese government support.
In fact, I thinks these are more serious moves compared to Blizzard's recent fiasco. They were 'only' censoring the Hong Kong protest movement, while Apple is doing well beyond that. They're involved in almost every Chinese government's crime against human rights.

So what do you feel about it? Since we're in the gaming side of Era, are you willing to boycott their gaming offerings? (iOS gaming, Apple Arcade, etc)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I sold my iphone and got myself a mi 9t, it was a long time coming anyway considering how disappointing their phones are to me but a big part of it was how they kept doing these weird censoring for a year at least. They won't get a dime from me

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I sold my iphone and got myself a mi 9t, it was a long time coming anyway considering how disappointing their phones are to me but a big part of it was how they kept doing these weird censoring for a year at least. They won't get a dime from me
not sure I understand how buying a Xiaomi is better

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I was about to get a new iPad for college and drawing but I'm thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy tab or Surface Book instead after hearing about how Apple keeps bowing down to China.

I'm going to miss most of the games I enjoy on my iPad such as Punch Quest, DJMax Technika Q, Framed, and Slayin though.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
You can still boycott if you don't have an Apple device by choosing to continue to not buy Apple devices.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Boycott their gaming offering? What the hell is the point of that?
their new gaming service most of Era was very positive about. I was curious but now it's a hard nope.
A shame because my iPad is legit my favorite device, although I only use it to read. But hey, I bought it two years ago, not like I'm gonna stop using it now, just not gonna buy stuff from Apple anymore, which is honestly super easy.

Oct 27, 2017

So you replace apple device with company that's probably got ties with the Chinese government. Bravo you sure told them.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already avoid buying their products or use their services, I guess it gives more ammunition to keep not supporting them.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I've not used Apple (other than at work where I don't have much choice) for a long time. They are a shell of what they once were.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
But what about..?
If that's the first thing that came to your mind reading the title, please do make another topic for that. Thank you.

Alright, so thanks to this list compiled by Liyfda, we know that Apple has its own questionable decisions too regarding their Chinese government support.
In fact, I thinks these are more serious moves compared to Blizzard's recent fiasco. They were 'only' censoring the Hong Kong protest movement, while Apple is doing well beyond that. They're involved in almost every Chinese government's crime against human rights.

So what do you feel about it? Since we're in the gaming side of Era, are you willing to boycott their gaming offerings? (iOS gaming, Apple Arcade, etc)
Their gaming side didn't support China so no.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
As much as I'd like to take a stand, what's the alternative? A Chinese-made phone running Android? A non-Chinese Android phone? Even in that case, Google is as bad as Apple about China, and worse on privacy. Microsoft no longer makes phones but they're even worse in regards to capitulating to China.

I'm seriously not trying to ask what-about questions - I like my iPhone much better than my Pixel but have been upset with Apple at least since their non-statement about the Chinese government installing spyware targeting Uighurs. However I'm really trying to figure out what's a reasonable alternative.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
As much as I'd like to take a stand, what's the alternative? A Chinese-made phone running Android? A non-Chinese Android phone? Even in this case, Google is as bad as Apple about China and worse on privacy. Microsoft no longer makes phones but they're even worse in regards to capitulating to China.

I'm seriously not trying to ask what-about questions - I like my iPhone much better than my Pixel but have been upset with Apple at least since their non-statement about the Chinese government installing spyware targeting Uighurs. However I'm really trying to figure out what's a reasonable alternative.
Samsung has moved all production out of China

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why this is focused at their gaming side of the business?

China is a massive source of potential income for all international businesses. I'm sure there are several other companies that have pandered to the Chinese government, probably one you think highly of. You just don't know it yet.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure why this is focused at their gaming side of the business?

Just to include it in gaming side of the board, is what I thought.

China is a massive source of potential income for all international businesses. I'm sure there are several other companies that have pandered to the Chinese government, probably one you think highly of. You just don't know it yet.

I work as a product designer in tech in the valley and have been at a couple of big, well known companies (and talk to folks at the others). This sadly is true (and in that light, it's hilarious that folks are running to non-Chinese made Android phones, as if Google has a much better stance on China. It doesn't, while simultaneously also being worse on privacy, so bravo). If you're thinking of getting an Android phone - including Samsung's versions or replacing an Apple laptop with say a Surface, maybe spend a little time on how those parent companies deal with China.

Given Google and Microsoft, and the number of people suggesting buying actual Chinese products to stick it to Apple, the thread seems to me more like an opportunity to shit on the company than some kind of response to what the company's actually done. I myself (as an Asian studies major back in the day) strongly support an independent Tibet and Xinjiang, an independent or British Hong Kong, and decry Chinese bullying of its SE Asian neighbors, the government's sniveling need to be seen as the "middle country," and its shady political and business practices, including ginning up conflicts with South Korea and Japan when it benefits the CCP, as well as its support for the terrorist, pariah state of North Korea. But I never, ever see that level of nuance or discourse when these things are posted, and instead they often come off as an opportunity to be racist against Chinese people or shit on companies against which some people already have an axe to grind (you're going to stick it to Apple by by buying Chinese-made phones? Are we being serious here?). (Edit: reading the comments before and after mine a lot of them are people posting to feel superior about Apple products).

I'm not saying you're a sucker for using android - I use a pixel phone for work, though I limit where I take it and what it can access. Rather, instead of just deciding to support its competitors, be knowledgeable about their stances and actions. I know Google and Microsoft have the same (or frankly worse) history of bowing down to CCP pressure and they are also usually worse on personal privacy (I'm not even dignifying the comments suggesting buying a device made by a Chinese company with an answer, other than that I would distrust both that hardware and software). This is precisely why I'm so extremely disappointed in Apple.

All that said, I hope we are actually turning a corner and American companies no longer get a free pass from consumers and governments of developed nations when they kowtow to the thin-skinned CCP. It'll change their calculus if they start suffering in their home markets because they're chasing China.

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn on this.

I won't be surprised if a lot of other companies are already doing the same kinda thing with China.

I use both Android and Ios devices on a daily basis.

That being said I was never a big mobile gamer so not using the gaming service is pretty easy for me.

That being said does Apple have control over what can be on the App store in China or does China have the final say?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Blizzard case is about internal rules and appliances of a western company, not how they choose to deal in foreign countries. The boycott in that case isn't a matter of individual conduct or moral regarding economical and diplomatic relationships between China and the rest of the world, just a timed opportunity to show a disapproval.

I could also avoid to buy almost every food I have to eat every day, because I know by who and how it's harvested, but I won't jump on people who are suddenly interested by the HK situation to deny their rights to do it in the name of worker's conditions in agriculture. So yes, don't be afraid, we will get ride of capitalism, but before that everyone have to live with contradictions it indicts.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
As other users have expresed, there's not much alternatives regarding cellphones OS and manufacturers, but I think that even if I will keep using iPhone I can try to give them as few money as posible.

Systolique

Oct 26, 2017
This thread makes no sense, are you going to boycott every single company that is doing business with China? Why weren't you already doing it before?
Why is this linked to their gaming suscription service?

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Look, I can't not use an iPhone, but I've stuck to a 5c til a couple days ago and then bought an SE from a refurbisher. I don't buy anything in iTunes or the Appstore and own no other Apple products nor do I plan to. I can leave mobile gaming anyway. It's the best I can do.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No, too heavily invested in the Apple eco system and prefer their products over others. Recently signed up to Apple Arcade and waiting for Apple TV+.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna drop hundreds of dollars on a new phone rn but yeah it'll make me consider what products I buy in the future

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
No, too heavily invested in the Apple eco system and prefer their products over others. Recently signed up to Apple Arcade and waiting for Apple TV+.
There's a far bigger issue here and I'd have to boycott most of the modern world. This need to be solved diplomatically and after trump is gone.

I'm glad there's this newfound awakening to the issues but this all feels like knee jerk ignoring actual issues overall. But always do what you feel is right. Just realize how deep the rabbit hole goes so you're not just being superficial and ineffective.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure. Certainly not going to stop using my phone whilst I'm on a contract. After that I'll have to see. Google's data privacy issues are also a concern for me.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just to include it in gaming side of the board, is what I thought.

I work as a product designer in tech in the valley and have been at a couple of big, well known companies (and talk to folks at the others). This sadly is true (and in that light, it's hilarious that folks are running to non-Chinese made Android phones, as if Google has a much better stance on China. It doesn't, while simultaneously also being worse on privacy, so bravo). If you're thinking of getting an Android phone - including Samsung's versions or replacing an Apple laptop with say a Surface, maybe spend a little time on how those parent companies deal with China.

Given Google and Microsoft, and the number of people suggesting buying actual Chinese products to stick it to Apple, the thread seems to me more like an opportunity to shit on the company than some kind of response to what the company's actually done. I myself (as an Asian studies major back in the day) strongly support an independent Tibet and Xinjiang, an independent or British Hong Kong, and decry Chinese bullying of its SE Asian neighbors, the government's sniveling need to be seen as the "middle country," and its shady political and business practices, including ginning up conflicts with South Korea and Japan when it benefits the CCP, as well as its support for the terrorist, pariah state of North Korea. But I never, ever see that level of nuance or discourse when these things are posted, and instead they often come off as an opportunity to be racist against Chinese people or shit on companies against which some people already have an axe to grind (you're going to stick it to Apple by by buying Chinese-made phones? Are we being serious here?). (Edit: reading the comments before and after mine a lot of them are people posting to feel superior about Apple products).

I'm not saying you're a sucker for using android - I use a pixel phone for work, though I limit where I take it and what it can access. Rather, instead of just deciding to support its competitors, be knowledgeable about their stances and actions. I know Google and Microsoft have the same (or frankly worse) history of bowing down to CCP pressure and they are also usually worse on personal privacy (I'm not even dignifying the comments suggesting buying a device made by a Chinese company with an answer, other than that I would distrust both that hardware and software). This is precisely why I'm so extremely disappointed in Apple.

All that said, I hope we are actually turning a corner and American companies no longer get a free pass from consumers and governments of developed nations when they kowtow to the thin-skinned CCP. It'll change their calculus if they start suffering in their home markets because they're chasing China.
Thank you for this post. This is all true and so overlooked in the discussions here in the last few days.