• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
So, due to obvious reasons, my wife and I will be spending Thanksgiving with just us and the kids. We're planning on making a traditional Thanksgiving dinner including a turkey, though I've never cooked one before. I've been doing research online and it seems like everyone does it a bit differently. So I'm looking for some tips.

I'd rather not deep fry nor wet brine, but I'm open to suggestions. What say you?

thanksgiving-turkey-2.jpg

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Throw it on the grill/smoker for a couple of hours. I brine mine though, but it should still taste good even if you don't

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Keep it simple. Cook it in the oven with an oven bag, lightly spice with pepper and whatever else you might like. baste with some water and some white wine.

After cooking, use the drippings at the bottom of the bagto make some gravy (can also keep it simple by mixing the drippings with some water mixed with some corn starch)

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's 2020, fuck it, go theme park turkey leg style.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't want to wet brine, you should just season it well a day before, inside and out. let it sit uncovered in the fridge that whole time (on a sheet tray with a cooling rack, because the salt will pull moisture out of the bird and you don't want it to just sit in the liquid). Then when time to cook, stuff cavity with aromatics (id do an onion, celery, whole head of garlic cut in half, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, fresh sage, halved lemon) and cook that bitch until it is 165° in the breast and 175° In the thigh.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Sous Vide is the answer for all proteins. I part it, seal it, and then hit it with a torch when I'm done for texture.

Beef, chicken, pork, turkey, you name it.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
Following. I'm in the same boat with turkey, I also got a spiral ham and am going to heat it up in the smoker. First time not having in laws cook so I have to get a Thanksgiving feast for the wife and 3 kids! Kinda excited it's like I finally grew up lol. Good luck!

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
If you've got room in your fridge for 2-3 days depending on big the bird is, a dry brine is a great idea.

I personally have cooked the last 5 out of 6 turkeys for my family using a wet brine, but the dry brine last year gave A+ results. Wet brine is just faster (12~18hrs) and frees up room in the fridge where space is at a premium during Thanksgiving.

As for cooking... no joke, I have used those Reynold's Oven Roasting Bags for turkeys every year I've cooked one, followed the directions, and it has come out perfect every time.

I also make gravy using stock made from the neck of the turkey. Shit is unreal.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Most turkeys now a days don't really need to be brined. The suckers are juiced up before being frozen. But I still try to brine mine anyways, especially if I'm splurging for a fresh bird from the butcher.

The main trick is not to let the breasts dry out while the rest of the turkey hits the right temps.

I personally like to put the sucker in the roasting pan with some veggies and herbs, white wine and some veggie or turkey stock at the bottom. I go in under the breast skin with a knife and slide a couple fo big chunks of butter right on top of the breast meat under the skin. Season everything, then cook at high heat until things get a little bit golden, then lower the heat the rest of the way.

Definitely get a digital thermometer that will beep and let you know when the breast is almost ready, maybe 10 degrees off, and cover it with aluminum foil so it doesn't dry out.

Don't stuff the bird. instead make your stuffing separately. I like a sweet savory mix of apples, cranberries and pork sausage in mine personally, but whatever floats your boat.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Throw it on the grill/smoker for a couple of hours. I brine mine though, but it should still taste good even if you don't
This is what I am planning on doing!
Past few years I have used my parents Turkey fryer when we would visit them.

but now with just my family having a Turkey and no where near my parents I plan on smoking It. Though at current I am planning a wet brine.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Spatchcock over vegetables. It makes it edible. Go to 165 degrees, but not too far above

IMG_7988.jpg

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Dry brine it ahead of time. Like a couple of days, season heavily with salt. Secret to juicy meat is brining in advance, does something to the structure of the protein. You could also do a dark ritual involving the promise of your first born child to dark malevolent spirits, but that's really a more advanced cooking technique, not advisable to beginners.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
a lot of wacky answers, but assuming you want to do it somewhat normally, pat her dry before she goes in and cover the bird with a dry rub (even a simple one will do). Cook it according to the instructions for time v weight. The MOST IMPORTANT part is to get a meat thermometer. Even if it's a $10 one. It's a godsend to avoid dry turkey. Cook it until it hits temp and pull it out and let it rest for at least 30 mins before carving.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The very big advantage to spatchcocking is you can easily separate the legs from the breast and the wings because they cook at different rates. It's so easy.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Spatchcock over vegetables. It makes it edible. Go to 165 degrees, but not too far above

IMG_7988.jpg

Oooh yes! I tried this one year and it worked better than my foil method. I don't know why I didn't do it last year. Must have forgotten about it. Deifnitely doing it this way this year as well.

EDIT: I remember why I didn't do it, I didn't have the tukey shears. Still don't so I might go old style again.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You dont need brine, you dont need to fry it.
Stuff it, butter and salt the crap out of its skin.
And use this.
51UIs9IR%2BzL._AC_SY400_.jpg

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
This is the recipe I make every year. It's ridiculously good. I usually just make it with a split breast these days, but I've done the whole turkey before.

www.allrecipes.com

Roast Peruvian Turkey

A garlicky, spicy rub bakes onto a roast turkey to seal in the juices for a flavorful holiday centerpiece for your big meal, done up Peruvian-style.

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
Cooking a turkey is not hard as long as you have a good thermometer to keep track of your turkey. Make sure you give your turkey ample time to defrost. You should have it in the fridge by at least Sunday. I do a dry brine of just salt at least 24 hours before my cook.

I cook my turkeys in my smoker at 400 and go by temperature. A 15lbs turkey will take about 2 - 3 hours depending on size. For a really moist bird try spatchcocking the turkey. You won't have that traditional whole bird look, but it will be more juicy.

Have fun with your first turkey.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the one time i did a thanksgiving turkey, i brined it overnight with all the usual seasonings, it came out a lot better than i expected. juicy and flavorful. my suggestions is to rethink not brining it.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I cook 'em upside down and let gravity do its thing and keep the breast juicy. I flip the bird maybe the last 20 minutes or so to brown up the breast skin a bit. Turkey lift tongs make the flipping easier.

Oct 27, 2017
Since it's just me and my 2 kids I'm getting just a turkey breast. So that's my suggestion unless you want turkey leftovers for a month or more.

Jun 18, 2020
Honestly, just gonna try my hand at a porchetta this year since past turkeys have always been rather "meh" outside of sandwiches for me. Best of luck with your turkey though, OP!

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Keep it simple. Cook it in the oven with an oven bag, lightly spice with pepper and whatever else you might like. baste with some water and some white wine.

After cooking, use the drippings at the bottom of the bagto make some gravy (can also keep it simple by mixing the drippings with some water mixed with some corn starch)
Pretty much this. You can use a paper bag instead of an oven bag, and use butter on the skin with pepper and whatever else you want for seasoning. I usually throw some butter under the skin as well in a few places. Cook in oven at 350 for 20 mins a pound. Baste during the last hour, if you want.

Gravy the same way as above.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
First thing I'd do is let go of the idea of having the trussed full bird as the centerpiece of the holiday table—that's just not an ideal way to cook it in many ways, as it makes it difficult/impossible to get the ideal final temp on the different parts. I'll also agree that a wet brine is more trouble than it's worth—who has the refrigerated space or wants to devote it to a big turkey-sized tub of liquid? Deep-frying is good, but that's a whole big setup with its own issues to deal with.

At minimum, I'd say spatchcock it, and salt it at least a day in advance (a.k.a. dry brine), then roast or smoke it (if you have a smoker) that way. Honestly, the white meat is best closer to 150–155 F (which is fully safe if it's held there for several minutes, which it will be), and the dark meat more like 170–180 F. It's even easier if you just break it down into parts and then cook each to the ideal temp. You can then carve it and arrange it on a nice platter for serving. (And if you break down into parts, a wet brine or marinade becomes easier again, as you can do it in smaller containers or zip-loc bags.)

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
If you have never done one before then my advice would be to not get fancy at all, don't worry about spatchcocking/brining etc. and just 1. make sure you thaw in fridge and on time 2. start it early in the day and 3. get a good probe thermometer rather than using the popup thing or wiggle test.

Edit: 4: don't stuff the bird, cook the stuffing separate.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Also stuff under the skin with butter and wrap with bacon on top. Bacon on turkey is amazing.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York

This is my favorite standard baked turkey recipee. If you are going to bake your turkey make sure you shove butter under the skin, that little step makes a huge difference.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Cut it up in quarters. Put dark meat in vacuum bag. Light meat in separate vacuum bag.

Sous vide dark meat @170 Fahrenheit for 3 or so hours. White meat at @150 for 3 or so hours.

When done, torch skin to crisp. Serve

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to order a turkey now. It's like 10 pounds minimum through Whole Foods. Would that be like a month of turkey for two people?
Depends how you use it, fwiw a typical whole chicken is 3-4lbs and usually we get dinner for 4 + lunch for 2 out of that. My gut says you'll get 1 dinner of a leg each on the day, maybe one more where you split a breast, and a few days of sandwiches from the other breast + the wings. Pretty good, you don't want to be having to be eating it for a week or more because turkey gets gamey fast.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about making it complicated. When in doubt, Alton brown.

youtu.be

Alton Brown's Good Eats Perfect Roast Turkey | Food Network

Get the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe-1950271Good Eats Roast TurkeyRecipe courtesy of Alton BrownTotal...

the turkey triangle and the high heat start are great for a first timer.The most important thing you can do to improve your turkey is to get a goodquick read thermometer a probe. Cool to done-ness. Not for time.