• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been on in a few days cause I've been busy and there is so much releasing and work to do but I hopped onto the New World subreddit when I'm hearing about this situation going on in the community:

First response players got was this which confirmed the bots being used to automatically ban someone if there is enough reports.

aLxIdOI.png

Which was then followed up with claiming that was false.

qoko8t4qdis71.png

However the speed at which people can be banned following a report seems to indicate they are using some bot service.

So... This seems like a bit of a shit show. I'm curious if they will actually ban the people abusing this system or not.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Surely they have a team or an external company hired to be screening these reports to make sure they are not getting falsely banned or become a false positive. Using a bot to do absolutely everything will lead to some false positive cases.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
This keeps happening. Someone from Amazon says they're using an auto-ban system, then someone else says they're not. I find it incredibly hard to believe that every report is manually reviewed. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, the age old adage of MMO publishers not wanting to spend money on moderating their servers. It always results in a shitfest and the only game who has somewhat understood this is Final Fantasy XIV.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Big yikes. New World seems interesting, but between the launch issues (overly long queues), unsavory individuals, GPU going KA-BOOM, this and other things, I will wait a long time before eventually giving it a go, if the game is still successful and noteworthy.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
"How dare you suggest we use bots! We mere employ a team of incompetent humans."

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Marauders were mass reporting our guild and a few others because we helped Covenant and stopped the marauders from taking their only territories. About 30% of my guild got banned.

It's bullshit. It was the straw that broke this camels back until they fix performance stuff and the automatic bans/mass reporting.

KRT

Aug 7, 2020
Amazon doesnt give a shit, you think they care about some trivial bans when they literally fire people in their fulfilment centres using automated systems to do so :D

Oct 7, 2021
Amazon doesnt give a shit, you think they care about some trivial bans when they literally fire people in their fulfilment centres using automated systems to do so :D
I mean they better start giving a shit, this is not a good look for their first successful game. What a terrible look for them and honestly what a toxic sounding community even within the confines of gaming

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
It's baffling really how almost all major tech companies seem to utterly despise the thought of paying real people any kind of salary for moderation. They will quite literally try anything else before doing that.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Why is Amazon SO bad at public relations. This is like that free transfers between regions shit where first they said you could do it, now they're saying you can't because "sorry the original information was incorrect".

Same thing here. "Yes we do use bots to ban people" - forum moderator
"Actually we do not" - community manager

Ugh.

Sanatana

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Pacific Northwest
It's baffling really how almost all major tech companies seem to utterly despise the thought of paying real people any kind of salary for moderation. They will quite literally try anything else before doing that.
Not baffling at all, they're saving every dollar they can to line the pockets of higher-ups and investors. Almost every industry is this way, it's just that tech has a lot more power.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017

I am confident they rather let this game crash and burn than employ people to fix the issue! It's in line with how most MMO publishers deal with this as well.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

But its too hardddddd!

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
damn and my friend keeps trying to get me to play with him (dont got the time). Wonder if amazon will actually fix this

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
I mean...is it though? As a business one of your main goals is to reduce costs, one of those being paying employees. If you can get away with paying a less amount of people, most businesses will and do (I'm not saying it's right or just, just that this totally makes sense to not employee people to do moderation if an automated system can do it).

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
?

The game isn't set in the US.

It was part of the original premise before they reworked around it.

Amazon shifted many of the Crucible developers to work on New World. The project was originally pitched as a survival game in which people would play as colonists in a fictional version of 1600s America, fighting enemies that looked a lot like indigenous people. The original code name for the game was Roanoke, named after Sir Walter Raleigh's failed settlements in the 16th century. When developers at Amazon pointed out to Frazzini's deputy, Patrick Gilmore, that the setting and villains could be considered racist, he expressed disbelief, according to two people who worked there. Gilmore didn't respond to a request for comment.

www.bloomberg.com

Amazon Can Make Just About Anything—Except a Good Video Game

The company produces successful movies, TV shows, e-readers and speakers, but gaming has proven difficult to crack.