• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, my online experience with switch has mostly been mediocre. This isn't going to cause party features and netcode to improve on mario kart. The 'demo' we've had since launch is lackluster, and there's nothing to entice me back.

I do feel bad for kids that may have been playing Splatoon (or Fortnite, we don't have a solid answer on that yet do we?) that are suddenly unable to play until they talk their parents in to spending more money for something they have been using for a while.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I've owned a Switch game for playing online. But once it's paid for, it's unikely I'll ever try it after that anyways. Some NES games ain't going to encourage me,

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like it's going to go live and the net code for mario kart is going to suddenly be good, or even different at all. What you're using now is what you're going to be paying for.

Which is what pretty much happened with PS+ when multiplayer got pay walled.

Well that and the PS+ game offerings got a lot worse.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before, but Switch's online service is simultaneously cheap, yet still too expensive for what it is. I'm going to wait and see how their classic catalog of titles fills out.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
If you pay 60€ for a game, that should cover the cost to play online. If Steam can give you free online with cloud saving, voice chat, and many free games too -consoles should be able to do it too. At least online play, cloud saves, and chat. If you want a NES game just buy it.
The Switch is already an expensive machine, at least for kids. This only makes it harder for parents.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Well lets hope that nintendo invests in their online infrastructure now that their charging for online play cause sony sure as hell didnt bother with ps plus.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see myself paying for it given how barebones it's going to be. Lacking basic features like voice chat, parties, messaging and hell even system level game invites. I've enjoying playing the occasional match of Mario Tennis, MK8 and Splatoon 2 online but not enough to pay money for it.

Smash might be what tips me but even then...

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have no interest in playing any first party Nintendo game online. Let's see how the free game offers come along. If they stick to nes games I'll most likely not pay their subscription fee.

Oct 28, 2017
Which is what pretty much happened with PS+ when multiplayer got pay walled.

Well that and the PS+ game offerings got a lot worse.
PS Plus is absolutely heartbreaking to me. It was the best subscription service ever. It really was. Sony had me happily paying for it and screaming its praises to everyone. In reality it was the trojan horse so charging for online wouldn't recieve a backlash. But nevertheless I'm extremely happy PS Plus existed the way it did anyway. It was amazing and introduced me to many great games I would have otherwise never played. Some of them are even among my all time favourites. Oh how I long for the glory days of PS Plus.

Oct 25, 2017
The yearly family price is good enough with multiple switches in the house for me to just throw it down without thinking too much about the service.

Better to be surprised than disappointed so my expectations for it as a service are zero, literally just access to playing games online.

Oct 27, 2017
Zero interest in any kind of online gameplay in any platform I own. Switch is no exception...

... at least until next year when Pokémon is released. I pay for Pokémon Bank on 3DS, so hopefully that's included in the online fee for Switch.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be just as lackluster as their previous attempts at online offerings, and people will defend it and even tout certain choices as better ways to do things.

Nov 3, 2017
I honestly don't want to pay for this horrible service at all but I am forced to do so to continue playing Splatoon 2.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP smaller games' online population. Also, are F2P games affected? The only online game I play on the Switch somewhat regularly is Fortnite.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In one month I won't be playing any more Nintendo games until Smash releases then. Their whole online "service" does not sit right with me at all and they aren't doing even close enough to be justified in asking people to pay. Quite insulting honestly.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I still cannot believe they have no title to launch with this. Even Pokemon could have helped and it DOEs have online but they're making it sound nerfed. I mean why?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how this will affect sales going forward - obviously will have some effect.

Also I wonder if the market will be flooded with used copies of Splatoon 2.

Hell there might be mainstream news articles about this. "My kid used to be able to play these games, now Nintendo wants to charge them for what they used to OWN."

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I like NES games so I'll pay for this to be able to play them online, sure. My Switch is collecting dust anyway.

And 20 euros a year is literally nothing.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
As it stands I won't bother with the service for the foreseeable future and based on what we know so far. I dropped all the mp centric games I have on Switch by now and not being interested in Smash makes this an easy skip.

The only thing making me consider subscribing is the 'exclusive deals/sales for members' stuff. But we have yet to see what this is about like... at all.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how this will affect sales going forward - obviously will have some effect.

Also I wonder if the market will be flooded with used copies of Splatoon 2.

Hell there might be mainstream news articles about this. "My kid used to be able to play these games, now Nintendo wants to charge them for what they used to OWN."

I think you're really reaching with both of those scenarios.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
I actually play a lot of online on switch, games like Doom, Fortnite, Paladins and Rocket League, so 20 bucks a YEAR is 2 meals at macdonalds

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Cloud save, NES game coop online or pass the control are enough to make me pay. That's not a lot of money, you can even split the price with you want with other Switch owner.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Provide me with most of my entertainment and good memories for the last 30 years and we'll talk. Yeah 'wah wah don't have an emotional attachment to a corporation etc'. Well I do, I frikkin love Nintendo and I won't apologise for it, and I really don't mind paying a measly £2 a month to play online.
Jesus Christ.
Imagine being that emotionally attached with a corporation. I mean, all power to you, but damn.

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
It coud be even less than 2€, remember that the family plan still exist for up to 7(8?) accounts for 35€

anyway we STILL dont know almost anything about the online service, what will be paid, what will be free (they said that is a per game basis) or what other features they will offer

expect a direct soon before the actual D day

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't really care about the free vc games

I rarely even play those free games Sony gives out on ps+

But I do play splatoon 2 daily. And when smash Ultimate comes out, yeah gonna do nothing but play online For Glory for yearssss so yeah they already got me x.x

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care anymore, the free online ship sailed a long time ago when customers showed they were willing to pay for something that should be free en masse.

Considering I play a lot of online it seems I'm locked into it, atleast it's cheap I guess.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not planning on paying for this, it's by far their most half-arsed attempt so far and that's allrdy saying something for Nintendo considering how mediocre their online services always turned out compared to their competitors.
The fact they really want ppl to pay for this is actually pretty laughable considering that, i only ever played Splatoon online anyway so this just means i just won't buy any (online) mp games any more for the switch.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The only online play I do is trading in Pokemon games, and I'm not willing to pay $20 a year for that alone, so... well, I guess I just have to hope Pokemon trading won't be behind the paywall.