• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
So in one month we will start to pay for online. As i understand that an online servoce on console can t be free, i m a little afraid of nintendo marketing about this.
No change in september when i thought Smash would be the title to launch this...

Am i the only one worried ? Or maybe a surprise at Gamescom will come (new dlc roads on MK8 ?)

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I play MK & Splatoon online a lot. I will pay to continue doing so plus grab the classic titles. Looking forward to the catalogue growing over time.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Not worried and quite happy to pay the fee. It works out as a couple of quid a month. I pay so many bills already, another few pounds won't personally worry me.

I'm curious about what the benefits will be, though I'm pretty confident they won't be anything special. I'm expecting a barebones online experience that a lot of people rant about as a missed opportunity... But pay the fee anyway because they want to play Mario Kart, Splatoon and Smash.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It'll certainly be interesting how/if it affects player counts in the likes of Mario Kart and Splatoon 2.

Between those games alone, and then Smash soon, they will see some healthy subscriber numbers.

Do you need to subscribe to play F2P games online like Fortnite?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I'm excited to see the free games with added multiplayer. Hope they have a party system as well for group chat.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I'm curious to see what will happen. I think it's the first time that an online service goes from free to paid on the same console.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I've got no worries because I won't be subscribing. Nintendo will have to earn my monthly $, and that means showing me how it holds up, what they offer, etc.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
If it means a jump in quality, so be it. Personally, I don't play online and am not interested in classic games so, it won't affect me in any way.

Last edited:

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of angry people in a month. Angry people who didn't realise the online was coming, and angry people who knew it was coming and found out it was shit.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I'll pay for it anyway, but interested to see if Fortnite remains F2P without it

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is so weird because with how long this free period has been, it doesn't feel like a trial or whatever they used to phrase it but rather it just feels like something is being taken away.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Nintendo comes out of this looking good. They should have launched the console with paid online, or not at all.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is really going to come as a surprise to a lot of people that don't follow gaming news closely.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
No worries. It'll probably be just as underwhelming as we expect and will soon just be considered another Switch tax. Nintendo was looking for alternate revenue sources without profit from another platform. Online is a part of their answer to that question among a number of other initiatives.

I guess I'm buying whenever I boot up Mario Kart again or Smash comes. Begrudgingly of course.

I forgot about the cloud saving. Guess I am subscribing sooner than later.

Probably the same for me. Depends on when they deliver the Switch dock I backed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if the new system is robust enough to warrant that. Either way, I don't play online on the Switch so this doesn't affect me.

Eldon

Oct 27, 2017
Probably gonna subscripe for MHGU. Can't wait for that after the good MHW but I enjoy the portable series style best.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
We do really need more info on there online system I hope it doesn't involve as smartphone app.

I hope there is a direct covers that and one for new games.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
No plans to pay since the only games I play online were Mario Tennis and Splatoon 2 and I feel I'm done with both for the moment and have zero interest in playing NES games so it won't really affect me.
I'd be surprised if many see their online offering as good value.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't really have a game I want to play online, so I'll be fine.

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
in 1 month I can FINALLY backup my Zelda and Xenoblade saves and feel safe.
/panic

Bizu

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo - BR
I'm really worried. The online service doesn't looks so good, at least in my region (latin america). And the problem isn't my connection. Pay for something that errors and high latency is a common issue doesn't attract me.

Besides, there's just a few info about the rewards, like the classic games (which ones could be so much better, with n64 games, GC, etc).

Surprise me too that people are talking that they ll pay with no doubt, and proud about it. actually, scares me.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
What?
Im talking about the new system, if they are going to charge money and keep the current system, no money from me Nintendo.
I think people misunderstand what's going to change. There'll be a few extras like the NES games but there's not going to magically be servers and party chat and all that stuff. The last year was the trial.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There must be a nintendo direct adressing the online service.
I'm really worried. The online service doesn't looks so good, at least in my region (latin america). And the problem isn't my connection. Pay for something that errors and high latency is a common issue doesn't attract me.

Besides, there's just a few info about the rewards, like the classic games (which ones could be so much better, with n64 games, GC, etc).

Surprise me too that people are talking that they ll pay with no doubt, and proud about it. actually, scares me.
Its not that expensive for me. However im not seeing the value at the moment

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Honestly it still feels like they are gonna renege on this for some reason

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Despite owning a Switch at launch and owning MK8, Arms, Splatoon and Mario Tennis, I've never played online.