• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
My cats have saved our lifes more times than I can count. Last time was when my mother had an internal bleeding and our two cats woke up everyone and took us to her.

Only asshole owners have asshole cats

There's a lot of testimony of cats "sensing" illness in folks, and there are some hospice wards that have cats roaming around providing companionship and comfort for elderly/terminally ill.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that despite the longer threadmarked video that clearly shows the cat tackling the baby no matter which direction it wanted to go, people are ignoring it and assigning noble intent to the cat
Exactly. I can't believe what I'm reading.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who grew up living with my grandma the cat lady(outdoors though) they know far more about us than we do them. Almost all the cats would surround my granddad and give sad purrs before he suddenly passed, which would almost never ever happen outside of like feeding time.They know when women are pregnant to.

I think other mammals in general do.

Both cats and dogs have very sensitive noses, and humans give off very specific smells. We don't have the same capabilities.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I wonder why so many people feel the need to choose cat or dog and then dislike the other. I love both (my avatar yesterday was a dog, in case that's used against me) and always have. I've had friends or family members try to butt in when someone asks if I'm a cat or a dog person and make a claim for me, as if it's literally impossible to love both the same.

It's the same reason people get into stupid console wars. It's just nonsense.

Cats, dogs and most animals are awesome.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
OP is cunningly playing the long con with starting out acting like the repenting dog lover to lure people in and then slowly adding the threadmarks to drag cats' reputation further and further into the mud.

Almost like a plan one of those devious felines would come up with. Not at all how a loyal honest canine behaves, not at all.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Interesting that despite the longer threadmarked video that clearly shows the cat tackling the baby no matter which direction it wanted to go, people are ignoring it and assigning noble intent to the cat

Protecting the baby from possible harm happens to look similar to playful behavior. It's the reason people are looking at the clip of cats jumping on and knocking down toddlers as an attack rather than playful behavior.

Regardless of the cats intent, it's a fact that it stopped the baby from possibly falling down the stairs.

Also, people say we shouldn't anthropomorphize cats by assigning altruistic motives to their behavior, but that's exactly what people are doing when calling cats assholes.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Cats are pretty limited in how they can interact with humans. There's compilation videos of dogs knocking the shit out of kids too, but we don't assume that knocking the shit out of kids is a dog pastime.

Oct 25, 2017
The cat 100% saved the baby because cats are amazing.

It then pretended to be playing with the baby afterwards because it doesn't want to be praised or treated like a hero and it knows that ignorant fools like OP will fall for it.

Truly a noble and selfless creature.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There is no reason to assume the cat meant to specifically save the baby from death, rather it was protecting it from perceived danger. We assume this, because we see the same behavior in mother cats when protecting their kittens.

A cat or dog could absolutely hurt themselves falling down stairs. Any large enough creature could potentially be hurt from a fall, and will try to stop itself from falling.

About your first point I think that's entirely possible. I said so in the very post you quoted.

About the second, there a lot of videos of dogs falling from and stairs and they seem fine. I do think they can get hurt obviously, but I don't think stairs are as dangerous to them as it is to us. Even for puppies.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. I can't believe what I'm reading.
I've been around cats for over 30 years. I know what their body language says and means. The first "attack" is not playing. Three reasons, one if the cat was playing it would have attacked when the baby turns it's back to the cat or it would have stalked the baby, it doesn't, it even turns and looks away for a few seconds. Cats big and small have a natural instinct to attack their "prey" when they turn their backs to them and it's almost instantaneous. Two the cat shows no sign of playfulness during the "first attack" it's clearly upset with the child and displays aggression to get the child to back off. Three, it stays put until the child turns around and goes into the other direction. It also shows a sense of urgency in its run, when a cat is playing they run just as fast but the position of its shoulders and the way it wastes little movement to get to the child shows a life or death urgency. As for the other "attacks" afterwards it shows behavior more in tune with playfulness that you're mistaking for in the first "attack". I do think you two are being unfair. If this was a dog you'd have no problem calling it a hero. Cats are mammals too and have paternal instincts just as much as a dog. That's all that's happening, instincts to protect the young.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Cats are pretty limited in how they can interact with humans. There's compilation videos of dogs knocking the shit out of kids too, but we don't assume that knocking the shit out of kids is a dog pastime.

The OP cat giving a warning, low meow may even point to the action being a maternal, "Don't leave my eyesight, baby human." That's as close to an audible, "Hey, stop!", that cats can give.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

People tend to humanize pets to the point of rationalizing behavior to make the pet seem more intelligent or noble than it actually is. I love pets too, I've had both dogs and cats and I've been around many of both, and in my experience cats are extremely self serving and can be outright bastards, even to each other. That doesn't mean they can't be awesome and loving too, they can, but realize that when they are being lovable it's only because its on their terms and it serves their purpose at that time. Most dogs are much more selfless and protective than cats are.

Cats are cats, and people shouldn't try to make them into something they aren't.

Now in this case the cat was playing and happened to save that kid from falling down the stairs. That's awesome, but lets not kid ourselves into believing the cat was doing anything more than playing. The extended video clearly shows it is just playing and got lucky when stopping the kid from going down the stairs.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is reminding me of that thread with the humpback whale grabbing that diver and putting it under its flipper to protect it from a great white that entered the area. Everyone arguing oh stop anthromorphising it. It wasn't being altruistic.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Cats are awful. Props to the heroic baby for not throwing it out a window.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
As someone who lived among cats since I was born, I will never understand the hate towards them. They're the kindest when you actually give a shit about them and not acting like a shitty owner.
This cat definitely wasn't playing, no matter what this Twitch guy say.
With the way some people act towards cats, it almost feels like one of their family member got mauled by one. Oh wait, cats don't do that, dogs do. :)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What my cat would have done

mufasascar-e1503220724691.jpg
Lmao.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My cats have saved our lifes more times than I can count. Last time was when my mother had an internal bleeding and our two cats woke up everyone and took us to her.
Only asshole owners have asshole cats

Yup, so much kitty hate in here!

Cats are assholes. That doesn't mean they're evil.

Cats are awful. Props to the heroic baby for not throwing it out a window.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
The hell is with the cat hating in this thread?

Every cat I've interacted with in my life are incredibly chill or scaredy cats that run away from people they don't know and hide.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The hell is with the cat hating in this thread?

Every cat I've interacted with in my life are incredibly chill or scaredy cats that run away from people they don't know and hide.

Simply because they aren't accessible as other pets such as Dogs. They do their own thing, on their own time.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Im not sure what you mean? You mean the video where the cat goes to pick the baby up by its neck, which they only do for their kittens?

fda97f0e-0fc8-42a3-8426-b99a78923675.jpg

Jun 2, 2019
U people are fucking delusional if u think a cat gives a flying fuck about u.

30 years of experience with issues going from epileptic crisis to my mom's actual health state going by raising up my nephews always being assistedoor saved by my babies tells me more than your topic filled post

My family literally owns our lives to our cats

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Cats and dogs are both awesome. Seems like the most obvious shit in the world, but some people insist on being morons who can't like one without insulting the other.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, so much kitty hate in here!
Where's the hate? Unlike dogs, cats don't slot into a pro-social structure by default and thus act in ways that tend to focus on their own personal desires without consideration of the way in which it will affect the others in their ad hoc social group.

They're assholes.

This doesn't mean they go out of their way to harm members of said social group or deliberately fail to protect members pf that group when they sense danger.

They're not evil.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the full video shows the cat doing the same thing afterwards when the baby tries to crawl back towards the crib.

The cat was just playing he wasn't intentionally trying to save anything heh.

Still, thank god it was their playing or that baby would have been hurt.
This. Seemed much more like play behavior and not intentionally trying to save the baby, lol.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Both cats and dogs have very sensitive noses, and humans give off very specific smells. We don't have the same capabilities.
Well yeah they're far beyond. Take something like cancer which we still have very few ways to detect. They can smell it in us and know its fucking us up. Even if they've never been around a human. So many things that we struggle to comprehend is embedded in their genetic programming.

This woman passed two cancer screenings and it was only detected via a biospy. The dog knew the whole time and was bummed out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
:O

That's a smart kitty. It passed the mirror test.
Eh, I don't think so. Cats and dogs don't pass the mirror test. I believe the idea is a researcher places a mark on the animal and the animal needs to recognize that it has a mark on it after seeing it in the mirror. A cat scratching its ears at the same time it looks in the mirror doesn't really count .

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I don't think so. Cats and dogs don't pass the mirror test. I believe the idea is a researcher places a mark on the animal and the animal needs to recognize that it has a mark on it after seeing it in the mirror. A cat scratching its ears at the same time it looks in the mirror doesn't really count .

Nah. Watching it several times it's clear it knows it's touching it's own ears. Sees the ears stands up straight and touches its ears. Twice. Did you watch the video?

Last edited:

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019

I mean the cat was clearly playing with its ear in the mirror. Thats self awareness, which is what the mirror test is testing. Because they may not do something with an arbitrary ass dot is meaningless.

Nah. Watching it several times it's clear it knows it's touching it's own ears. Sees the ears stands up straight and touches its ears. Twice.

Right. I always wonder if human ignorance/arrogance is the biggest barrier between us truly understanding other mammals.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the cat was clearly playing with its ear in the mirror. Thats self awareness.

I guess I'm not so convinced since many times humans just like to project our own thoughts and emotions into what we think the actions of animals means. It may not necessarily be self-awareness, but who really knows. After reading through this wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_test
It seems the mirror test isn't completely conclusive either. It's limited since it's biased towards sight as a sense and our human interpretation. Interesting that they tried a modified version for dogs with smell! Animal intelligence is always so fascinating.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018

Cats definitely aren't clingy/playful like dogs are but they aren't assholes. They frequently get distressed/worried when owners leave or about to leave and they love cuddles.

You can call them solitary or less extroverted but "asshole" Or "evil" is really off the mark for most cats.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I've lived with cats my entire life. If the cat was playing it would have pounced as soon as the kid turned its back and crawled away. It waited awhile and even looks away for a few seconds. You can see the urgency in its running to the kid. That's not playful behavior.
My take from seeing the video too. Almost no play-like behaviors from before rushing over (wiggles, head bobbing), cat put itself in between the kid and the stairs and didn't move away until the kid did, didn't fall over on its side and its tail looked agitated. Whether it was playing at the very end of the video seems moot, but it could be the cat trying to pull the kid away.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
This forum truly is filled with so many of the most miserable, negative people I've ever seen in my life. I couldn't even pretend to be as miserable as some of you genuinely are even if you paid me, eesh... Cats are too good for you miserable people anyway.

Glad the baby is safe.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the cat defending a kid from being mauled by a dog.

This will always be my favorite (until someone ruins it, of course). The kid is clearly not OK, and the cat is like "Absolutely NOT!" Just full-speed ramming, which is not how cats usually approach this sort of situation to begin with.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Christ people, there's nothing that says the cat couldn't have saved the baby on instinct and then later go into play mode when the baby was safe.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Cats and dogs are both awesome. Seems like the most obvious shit in the world, but some people insist on being morons who can't like one without insulting the other.
This forum truly is filled with so many of the most miserable, negative people I've ever seen in my life. I couldn't even pretend to be as miserable as some of you genuinely are even if you paid me, eesh... Cats are too good for you miserable people anyway.

Glad the baby is safe.
These two posts say it all.