• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Welcome Spartans
tumblr_n9078hK5A01tcj4tvo1_500.gif

It's that time ERA.

Whether you are a die-hard fan or someone interested in the new game but wants to catch up, this is the thread for you.

504359-god-of-war-playstation-3-screenshot-main-menu.jpg

Platforms: PS2, PS3, VITA
God of War was first released in North America on March 22, 2005, for the PlayStation 2.
After ten years in the service of the Olympian gods, Spartan soldier Kratos is tasked by Athena to find Pandora's Box; the key to defeating Ares, the God of War, who is running amok through Athens. A series of flashbacks reveals that Kratos was once the servant of Ares, who saved the Spartan and his army from annihilation in battle, but tricked him into killing his family which forced his metamorphosis into the "Ghost of Sparta". Kratos eventually finds Pandora's Box, and after finally killing Ares, he ascends to Mount Olympus to become the new God of War

504381-god-of-war-ii-playstation-3-screenshot-main-menu.jpg

Platforms: PS2, PS3, VITA
God of War II was first released in North America on March 13, 2007, for the PlayStation 2.
Angered at his fellow gods, Kratos runs amok across the city of Rhodes. Zeus intervenes and betrays Kratos, who is saved by the Titan Gaia. She tells him he must now find the Sisters of Fate, who can change his fate and prevent his death at the hands of Zeus. Kratos is ultimately successful and as he is about to kill the god, Athena sacrifices herself to save Zeus and preserve Olympus, and tells Kratos that he is the son of Zeus. Kratos then joins forces with Gaia and the Titans to attack Olympus

maxresdefault.jpg

Platforms: PS3, PS4
God of War III was first released in North America on March 16, 2010, for the PlayStation 3.
Reigniting the Great War, Kratos is soon abandoned by the Titans, who were only using him to exact their own revenge. Helped by the spirit of Athena who was elevated to a new level of understanding, she instructs him to seek the Flame of Olympus in order to defeat Zeus. Kratos engages the gods and the Titans in an epic series of battles across the Underworld and Olympus and learns that Pandora's Box is within the Flame. He discovers that Pandora herself is the key to pacifying the Flame and allowing him to open the Box. After finally killing Zeus, he refuses to help Athena assume the role of new patron of mankind and disappears

god-of-war-ascension-screenshot-30112012-005_0900131407.png

Platforms: PS3
God of War: Ascension was first released in North America on March 12, 2013, for the PlayStation 3.It is the only game in the series to feature multiplayer for both competitive and cooperative play.
Set six months after Kratos killed his wife and child, he has been imprisoned by the three Furies for breaking his blood oath to Ares. With the help of the oath keeper Orkos, Kratos learns that Ares and the Furies plan to overthrow Mount Olympus. The Spartan escapes his imprisonment, subsequently killing the Furies, and Orkos, who begs for release. Although free of Ares' bond, Kratos begins to suffer the nightmares that plague him for years.

Screenshot_2016-07-30-17-43-44.png

Platforms: PS3, PSP/VITA
God of War: Chains of Olympus was first released in North America on March 4, 2008, for the PlayStation Portable.
Its narrative takes place during Kratos' ten years of service to the gods. Kratos halts a Persian invasion of the Greek city of Attica, and learns that the world has been plunged into darkness by the god Morpheus. Kratos investigates the abduction of the sun god Helios, and prevents the Machiavellian plan of the goddess Persephone to use the Titan Atlas to destroy the world.

Screenshot_2016-07-30-17-19-19.png

Platforms: PS3, PSP/VITA
God of War: Ghost of Sparta was first released in North America on November 2, 2010, for the PlayStation Portable.
Set between the events of God of War and Betrayal, Kratos, the God of War, is still haunted by visions of his mortal past and embarks on a quest to discover his origins by finding his mother, Callisto. He learns that his brother Deimos was taken by the gods and imprisoned by the God of Death, Thanatos, and decides to find and save his sibling. Although successful, Thanatos engages the brothers in combat, and kills Deimos. Kratos then kills Thanatos and returns to Olympus, further enraged at the gods

882533_3.png

Platforms: Mobile
God of War: Betrayal was released on June 20, 2007, for mobile phones supporting Java ME. It is the only game in the series to be released as a two-dimensional (2D) side-scroller and released on a non-PlayStation platform. The game's narrative takes place between the events of Ghost of Sparta and God of War II.
Kratos is framed for murder, and rampages across Greece seeking the true assassin. Kratos succumbs to bloodlust and kills Ceryx, the son of the god Hermes—an act that alienates him from his fellow gods

Time to rip off some heads!

Kevin-Smith-laughing.gif

Last edited:

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Played through Ghost of Sparta 2 weeks ago (first GOW game I played since the first one), liked it so much I went and got the remastered version of GOW3, which I'm currently playing through

Ghost of Sparta has some seriously impressive graphics for the PSP

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Ughhh I've been meaning to get this done as well but I don't remember how long the games are and I'm not sure I'll be done with a re-run of the series before 2021.

Good luck to everyone doing this!

Also, Ghost of Sparta is the best one.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Jealous of everyone who can do this. PS4 was my first Sony console and I never had a chance to play them when I was younger. And now I have no time to do it!

I know this is the antithesis of this thread so don't kill me, but for those of us in a similar situation, can anyone recommend some YT videos where I can catch up with some thorough commentary on all the story beats before the new game comes out?

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I constantly have an inner turmoil on whether GoW 2 or GoW 3 is the best game in the franchise.

Come April 20th, I fully expect that to be settled with the latest taking the mantle.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The daughter chapter alone adds a lot to the character of Kratos. Same goes to Ascension.

Oh please, Kratos himself is easily the worst thing about the God of War series up to this point. None of the prequel games changes his character in any way.

Ascension is literally one of the most unnecessary and pointless prequels that you could possibly make.

cant remember how long the psp games are,

Ghost of Sparta is around 6 hours while CoO is a bit shorter at around 4.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stuck on the first one, hard mode, where Kratos needs to clear enemies before something. Upgraded only my chains at this point.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh please, Kratos himself is easily the worst thing about the God of War series up to this point. None of the prequel games changes his character in any way.

Ascension is literally one of the most unnecessary and pointless prequels that you could possibly make.

Wether you like Kratos or hate him is none of my concern but the games need to be played to see why he is the mad asshole he is.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Ghost of Sparta is absolutely amazing, really well executed plot, characters and gameplay designs, even better than most in the series (other than 2), y'all should give it a try. The atmosphere and aesthetic were also great.

giphy.webp

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
Ascension is the only one that I didn't finish (besides this mobile game that I knew nothing about). I just didn't find it as fun as the rest of the series and too demanding at times.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Sparta is absolutely amazing, really well executed plot, characters and gameplay designs, even better than most in the series (other than 2), y'all should give it a try. The atmosphere and aesthetic were also great.

giphy.webp

Yeah, it's fantastic. My third favorite game in the series.

I really wish Sony would port the entire franchise over to PS4.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's a mad asshole that he is because he's a mad asshole who caused all his grief for himself.
In Ghost of Sparta it is explained why he became a brutal son of a bitch. Since the gods took away his brother, tortured him when Kratos thought they killed him, took away his mother and cursed her. In Chains of Olympus they took away his chance to stay with his daughter in peace and he had to leave her forever to save the world and the gods thinking they will take away his visions. In Ascension it goes a bit more deep into how Ares made him kill his family.
I wouldn't say he caused everything himself. It was the Gods stupidity that created him.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Wether you like Kratos or hate him is none of my concern but the games need to be played to see why he is the mad asshole he is.

No they don't. Ghost of Sparta is pretty good and I'd say that's worth playing. Kratos is a mad asshole because he was just written that way and wether or not you play the prequels won't change that or add any meaty context behind it.

CoO and Ascension can be skiped and you'd lose absolutley nothing. They do not matter nor are necessary.

He's a mad asshole that he is because he's a mad asshole who caused all his grief for himself.

Spot on.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No they don't. Ghost of Sparta is pretty good and I'd say that's worth playing. Kratos is a mad asshole because he was just written that way and wether or not you play the prequels won't change that or add any meaty context behind it.

CoO and Ascension can be skiped and you'd lose absolutley nothing. They do not matter nor are necessary.

Spot on.
You can believe that but I do not see it that way. Both games add a lot of great world and character building.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Played through Ghost of Sparta 2 weeks ago (first GOW game I played since the first one), liked it so much I went and got the remastered version of GOW3, which I'm currently playing through

Ghost of Sparta has some seriously impressive graphics for the PSP
Ghost of Sparta is the second best game in the series, I played it on PS3 and it's handheld roots never showed even once.

OP
OP
Bishop89

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Spot on.
even if that is the case, i would still recommend ascension for the spectacle.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Ik bought God of War III 2 months ago and I played through half of the game in one sitting. Without realizing that you have to manually save the game I closed the application. I came back the next day and saw that I had to start all over again. I want to start and finish It before the new game.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
even if that is the case, i would still recommend ascension for the spectacle.
This, the final boss in the game is astonishing. I also really liked the combat additions as well.

Ik bought God of War III 2 months ago and I played through half of the game in one sitting. Without realizing that you have to manually save the game I closed the application. I came back the next day and saw that I had to start all over again. I want to start and finish It before the new game.
Damn, that's rough. Were you avoiding all of the save stations or something?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It was the Gods stupidity that created him.

Oh please, it was that desperate call to Ares that day that fucked him over so bad.

Everything that has happend to him ever since was his own fault. Yes, even his own brother.

They took him away because of the vision that a marked warrior would one day destroy olympus. They got the wrong kid and torruted him in the death domain for years and it's all because of Kratos and that call to Ares.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh please, it was that desperate call to Ares that day that fucked him over so bad.

Everything that has happend to him ever since was his own fault. Yes, even his own brother.

They took him away because of the vision that a marked warrior would one day destroy olympus. They got the wrong kid and torruted him in the death domain for years and it's all because of Kratos and that call to Ares.
His brother? How the hell is that his fault? If they didn't take away his mother and brother they wouldn't have made the marked warrior. If they took away his visions then he would have gone back to Sparta and resumed being a General. And why the hell did they give him the throne and power of the God of War? And I asymme you are familiar with being a general in a Spartan army? They were a proud bunch and him seeing his army getting slaughtered is what triggered his cries for help. That call for Ares wouldn't have happened if the Gods didn't mess up.

It is on them that he became a disgusting asshole.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore

i beg to differ. Ghost of Sparta adds alot of context on why Kratos detest the gods of olympus...

also kratos genuinely cares for his brother

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
wow...you don't know that glow light sprinkled around the levels as save points?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
His brother? How the hell is that his fault? If they didn't take away his mother and brother they wouldn't have made the marked warrior. If they took away his visions then he would have gone back to Sparta and resumed being a General. And why the hell did they give him the throne and power of the God of War? And I asymme you are familiar with being a general in a Spartan army? They were a proud bunch and him seeing his army getting slaughtered is what triggered his cries for help. That call for Ares wouldn't have happened if the Gods didn't mess up.

It is on them that he became a disgusting asshole.

You're not paying attention.

What Gods messing up? You also seem to forget that call was before anything in this series happend, closest game to that is Ascension which is 6 months after. If Kratos didn't do that desperate call for Ares, nothing that followed would have ever happend

He wouldn't kill his family, be cursed by vision, go on a mad killing rampage and at the end kill every god and destroy olympus. He would have just died there on the battlefield.

Therefore the vision with the marked warrior doing so wouldn't have existed in the first place, since there would no mad asshole doing the destruction and the Gods would have left Deimos alone.

That call sets everything up in motion in the God of War series. It was done by Kratos and him alone with absolutely no influence whoatsoever. He sacrified his life for power and paid the price. He's not this tragic hero that was tormented by gods with justified anger, he's an asshole that deserved everything that has happend to him.

OP
OP
Bishop89

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I could swear there is some auto-save feature in the game, at least the ps4 version.
Because when i have manually saved, there is another save slot which showed auto-save.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not paying attention.

What Gods messing up? You also seem to forget that call was before anything in this series happend, closest game to that is Ascension which is 6 months after. If Kratos didn't do that desperate call for Ares, nothing that followed would have ever happend

He wouldn't kill his family, be cursed by vision, go on a mad killing rampage and at the end kill every god and destroy olympus. He would have just died there on the battlefield.

Therefore the vision with the marked warrior doing so wouldn't have existed in the first place, since there would no mad asshole doing the destruction and the Gods would have left Deimos alone.

That call sets everything up in motion in the God of War series. It was done by Kratos and him alone with absolutely no influence whoatsoever. He sacrified his life for power and paid the price.
If they didn't take away his mother and brother to begin with then the vision with marked warrior wouldn't have happened. Not his fault the gods fucked it up. They could have changed fate in many ways since they have the power of the sisters of fate and yet they didn't.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't take away his mother and brother to begin with then the vision with marked warrior wouldn't have happened. Not his fault the gods fucked it up. They could have changed fate in many ways since they have the power of the sisters of fate and yet they didn't.

You didn't read anything I said, but okay.

Riddle me this then, why didn't Kratos use the power of the sisters in God of War 2 and go back in time and fix his mistakes hmmm?

Maybe stop himself from killing his family? Stoping the call to Ares maybe? Saving his brothers? All of the above?

Instead he goes futher back to bring back the Titans to create even more conflict and destruction for no reason other then mindless anger.

Great writing.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as people like to shit on Ascension, i really wish Sony had ported that game with God of War 3 to PS4 as a bundle. It looked incredible on the PS3 and i would have loved to see how it would have looked on the PS4.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You didn't read anything I said, but okay.

Riddle me this then, why didn't Kratos use the power of the sisters in God of War 2 and go back in time and fix his mistakes hmmm?

Maybe stop himself from killing his family? Stoping the call to Ares maybe? Saving his brothers? All of the above?

Instead he goes futher back to bring back the Titans to create even more conflict and destruction for no reason other then mindless anger.

Great writing.
Because the gods would still exist and mess shit up? You have seen how they kept fucking him up and at that point, mere hours from his brother's death, he was too consumed by rage to think logically and even then the gods would still exist so there is no point in saving them if they would die.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Because the gods would still exist and mess shit up? You have seen how they kept fucking him up and at that point, mere hours from his brother's death, he was too consumed by rage to think logically and even then the gods would still exist so there is no point in saving them if they would die.

For the last time, that the Gods had nothing to do with Kratos and only interacted with him after he made the call to Ares.

There wasn't anyone whispering in his ear '' Call the god of war for power''. He was a nobody to them.

By calling Ares not only screwed himself up but he also altred the future and the past. The piece of info that I wrote above that you chose to ignore explains exactly why.

Kratos literaly being given a get out of jail free card with the sisters of fate, the ability to control time itslef and he wastes it like a child, on dumb anger and revenge that were self inflicted.

It's not the god's fault that Kratos is a angry man child that doesn't think and destroys everything he touches for no reason.

I give up.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I'll be replaying GoW3 soon. Booted it up a while ago but everything was still fresh in my head (although it's been 7/8 years).
Will try to finish it soon again.

I do not think I've played the first one but besides that yeh. Was probably way too young back then. Even for the psp ones I remember the sale assistant would not sell it to me, but my mum being cool said I could have it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the last time, that the Gods had nothing to do with Kratos and only interacted with him after he made the call to Ares.

There wasn't anyone whispering in his ear '' Call the god of war for power''. He was a nobody to them.

By calling Ares not only screwed himself up but he also altred the future and the past. The piece of info that I wrote above that you chose to ignore explains exactly why.

Kratos literaly being given a get out of jail free card with the sisters of fate, the ability to control time himself and he wastes it like a child, on dumb anger and revenge that were self inflicted.

It's not the god's fault that Kratos is a angry man child that doesn't think and destroys everything he touches for no reason.

I give up.
There is no point in arguing with you since you won't get it.

Keep justifying things, they are totally innocent that a kid became fucked up since they took away his family.

/s

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
There is no point in arguing with you since you won't get it.

Keep justifying things, they are totally innocent that a kid became fucked up since they took away his family.

/s

Well you're the one who's literally blaming the gods for everything bad that has ever happend in this universe and making Kratos sound like some tragic and justified hero and ignoring arguments and then somehow turning this on me or how I don't get it. I've explained it to you like it's kindergarten. But oh well...

Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos made that desperate call to Ares and sold his life for power even tho he never made a contact with one prior to this incident.
Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos was murdering so many innocents and destroying cities for no reason while abusing his gods power at the begining of God of War 2.
Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos got his unhealty rage and anger on Zeus because he striped down his powers and punished him because he was abusing them.
Yes, it was the gods's fault that his brother got abducted and tortured due to a vision caused by a future event set in motion by Kratos.
Yes, it was the gods's fault that he murdered his own wife and child in the power he just bough out of his own free will.
Yes, It was the gods's fault that Kratos lacked the brain to use the sisters of fate to even try and fix his mistakes. They even took away his basic way of thinking!
Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos was killing innocent woman on Olympus and using them as door stomps.

The gods are so cruel man, no wonder why Kratos is so angry and wants revenge that bad. I tottaly get it now! I don't know why he waited off this long to get rid of them! What a dude.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well you're the one who's literally blaming the gods for everything bad that has ever happend in this universe and making Kratos sound like some tragic and justified hero and ignoring arguments and then somehow turning this on me or how I don't get it. I've explained it to you like it's kindergarten. But oh well...

Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos made that desperate call to Ares and sold his life for power even tho he never made a contact with one prior to this incident.
Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos was murdering so many innocents and destroying cities for no reason while abusing his gods power at the begining of God of War 2.
Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos got his unhealty rage and anger on Zeus because he striped down his powers and punished him because he was abusing them.
Yes, it was the gods's fault that his brother got abducted and tortured due to a vision caused by a future event set in motion by Kratos.
Yes, it was the gods's fault that he murdered his own wife and child in the power he just bough out of his own free will.
Yes, It was the gods's fault that Kratos lacked the brain to use the sisters of fate to even try and fix his mistakes. They even took away his basic way of thinking!
Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos was killing innocent woman on Olympus and using them as door stomps.

The gods are so cruel man, no wonder why Kratos is so angry and wants revenge that bad. I tottaly get it now! I don't know why he waited off this long to get rid of them! What a dude.

Explained it to me like a "kindergarten"? Time for me to do the same:

"Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos made that desperate call to Ares and sold his life for power even tho he never made a contact with one prior to this incident."

-Kratos the mortal prayed to the Gods, his army was dying and his job as a general would be to lead them to victory. Surely you get why he did why he did? A mortal wouldn't know how gods work and they are there for a reason, for mortals to pray to them for help or for pleasing them.

"Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos was murdering so many innocents and destroying cities for no reason while abusing his gods power at the begining of God of War 2."

-Well they gave him the power of the God of War, if he became the god of war then his job is to wage wars so people pray for him. Why give him the powers if he isn't going to use them?
"Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos got his unhealty rage and anger on Zeus because he striped down his powers and punished him because he was abusing them."

-Again, abusing them how? The dumb gods gave him the throne and power of the god of war and then expect him not to do what a god of war does, you know, to wage wars? And any dumbass would maybe think that maybe it is Kratos himself who is the "marked warrior", you know since he was strong and has a red tattoo. Why not get rid of him then? Why give anyone powers without thinking it first?

"Yes, it was the gods's fault that his brother got abducted and tortured due to a vision caused by a future event set in motion by Kratos."

-This doesn't make sense, how would a future event that has not happened yet cause give him the blame? Something had to happen to make them believe a marked warrior would destroy olympus, some kind of godly fuckery had to cause that legend to come and if Kratos never lost his mother and brother then things would have turned differently, would they not?

"Yes, it was the gods's fault that he murdered his own wife and child in the power he just bough out of his own free will."

-He got the power sure. But why did Ares have to make him kill his family under some kind of magical god drugs? To create the perfect warrior. Who wanted that? Ares.

"Yes, It was the gods's fault that Kratos lacked the brain to use the sisters of fate to even try and fix his mistakes. They even took away his basic way of thinking!"

-Or maybe he was consumed by rage? Or maybe even thought ahead that the gods would kill his family again to create the "perfect warrior"? Maybe he even thought that the gods needed to be taken down for how fucked up they became? He considers Godhood to be a virus.

"Yes, it was the gods's fault that Kratos was killing innocent woman on Olympus and using them as door stomps."

-This I can't justify as it is a disgusting move. Hell most of the innocent killing was disgusting. But what I can say if the gods didn't take away his family then he might have turned out to be a decent man. Lack of parrenting does that to children. Shocking I know!

My point is if the gods wasn't such arrogant assholes then most of the series would have happened differently and this marked warrior thing might have not happened if they stopped and thought of another solution.