• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone, I wanted to get out and address this head on since certain hate groups have been trying to weaponize posts I made years ago back on another site.

I do feel I need to explain that many of the screens I've seen have been taken out of context or framed in a way to make my intent seem malicious. Many of these were quotes of or live reactions to television shows like the Boondocks, made in threads discussing those shows. Another was a response to an anonymous confession. That doesn't make my posts okay at all though.

In my ignorance at the time, I parroted inappropriate language in my responses and said things I should never have said, and that was not acceptable. I want to make that clear. I'm not proud of the posts, and I wouldn't make those same mistakes today. A big reason for that is that being part of this community has taught me better, and I learn more all the time.

For the mistakes I've made, I apologize. Please understand that none of it ever came from a place of malice. I always have and always will try my best to do right by the people of this community. And that includes being straight with you about this now.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You fell for their bait and now everyone is going to come for you. You should have just told them to fuck off.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume that this was discussed internally with other moderators, especially with moderators who would be part of the communities those comments included / directed at?

I ask because these are the folks who will know you best and can provide that forgiveness / willingness to move forward under your leadership.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The whole foum seems under attack right now, with other users being targeted aswell.

Even getting errors just now, are we getting DDOSd?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of us have been in this community for a long time. We've grown up a lot. Not that it's an excuse for saying dumb stuff but the worst offense is not learning from your mistakes.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
My gut instinct when people complain about stuff off site instead of bringing it up here is that it probably comes from a bitter place and is taken out of context. I haven't seen any of these supposed posts but I have a hard time worrying about it if no one is bringing it up here. People get angry about too many things on the internet and spend too much time & effort attacking those they've arbitrarily decided to be their enemies.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I recognized a lot of your posts as reactions to Toonami shows of all things. One of them was referencing a (poorly written) SAO plot point. They had next to nothing.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Must be pretty bad out of context to warrant this pre-emptive post. I think most people deserve another chance.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always impressed when "certain off-site actors" will attempt to smear members here with things they said years ago.

Completely ignoring the fact that they're saying even worse right this instant.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it's the actual person for a moment, we're the posts that long ago? It's only been a few years since all of us were on NeoGAF and since the community is being being held to a pretty significant and better standard I think we need to evaluate the posts in questions as a community instead of hiding them away.

Can you please share said posts for all to see?

We don't let our elected officials get away with comments made in the past without seeing them in practice. I think that holds true on this forum.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Now you're just getting people wondering what you said that was taken out of context that would warrant such a thread. lol

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I even want to know or stir up drama, but without knowing the context I don't think it's possible to comment meaningfully.

Regardless, though, imagine what a pathetic life you have to lead to dedicate time to doing shit like this... a part of me feels sorry for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Another question: Does everyone that has been called out in these compromised posts get to defend themselves with a thread?

I did happen to see a few of the imgur links shared, not all of them however, and some of the things posted were alarming.

he doesnt have to prove shit, some of the posts that were brought up were from 2012, its a VERY different world today from back then.

I feel if this defense was used for a public figure or anyone that didn't post on this forum, it wouldn't fly at all. I don't think it flys now.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i don't know the posts. even setting aside that they were likely taken out of their original context, people can grow a lot over the better part of a decade

it's probably not my place to say because i'm not in any marginalized groups, but from where i'm looking you're good

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You fell for their bait and now everyone is going to come for you. You should have just told them to fuck off.

Kind of agree with this honestly. Its playing into their hands and honestly until I saw this topic I kind of didn't even know these posts existed?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it's the actual person for a moment, we're the posts that long ago? It's only been a few years since all of us were on NeoGAF and since the community is being being held to a pretty significant and better standard I think we need to evaluate the posts in questions as a community instead of hiding them away.

We don't let our elected officials get away with comments made in the past without seeing them in practice. I think that holds true on this forum.
....we don't elect people here. Of course elected officials would be held to a higher standard than a mod on a gaming forum lol

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the statement B-dubs.

As someone who has bad takes (read: bigotry) in my history too, growing up is a process and we never stop. Admitting it wasn't cool hopefully means almost or as much to the folks victimized by that language as it means to me.

it's probably not my place to say because i'm not in any marginalized groups, but from where i'm looking you're good
Yeah, this is the language I was grasping for right here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, what? What good could that possibly do?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno what this is about, but I'd like to think that people can change, and sincerity is acknowledging that what you did was wrong. None of us have the luxury of being born into a world without bigotry and it's naive to think that we never absorbed any; we all need to try to recognizes our flaws and be better.

As far as you running the site goes, I was really happy to see ResetEra reaching out to members of one of its communities to listen to their needs. It wasn't my community, but it's something that I think is a necessary step to the site being truly inclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
....we don't elect people here. Of course elected officials would be held to a higher standard than a mod on a gaming forum lol

I'm not saying it's the same. However, should we accept different standards of morality based on what platform or context they're said on?

Would you not hold your friends and family and colleagues to the same moral standards?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, by not including your incredibly tame posts in the OP you're making this sound a lot worse than it actually is.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why the last thread was deleted tbh. Just lock in, and say you'll be making a post shortly. No need to delete the whole thread.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he doesnt have to prove shit, some of the posts that were brought up were from 2012, its a VERY different world today from back then.

That doesn't really excuse it though at the same time. I don't hold it against anyone for saying transphobic things close to 10 years ago just because people can change dramatically in that time, but it also doesn't really diminish how words like that still had an impact on us back then. While a lot of this may be new territory for cis people to walk through, a lot of us trans people still knew that these things were hurtful. And seeing someone talking about shemales in any context is still going to bring up a lot of negative feelings for me and other trans people.

It never hurts to apologize and to make clear where you stand in comparison to the past. He's not saying this for Kiwifarms or any other harassment site, but for the people actually affected by his words, and I'm glad that he made an apology.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

I'm already side-eyeing this post

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Many of these were quotes of or live reactions to television shows like the Boondocks, made in threads discussing those shows. Another was a response to an anonymous confession. That doesn't make my posts okay at all though.

These screen shots from the Boondocks threads on the other forum were getting spread by trolls/social media during the time where Era Staff was reaching out to Black Era members in attempts to hinder those efforts. As you said, when/where they were posted and why they are resurfacing doesn't make the posts acceptable, but it's good you are addressing them.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I only care to know how other moderators feel about this situation. They are gonna know him best and make that decision.

I posted this in the announcement thread for his promotion. In the time Dubs has been GM, he's only exceeded my expectations. I stand by everything I said, and won't speak for others on the team, but I know I'm not alone on that.

B-Dubs is someone whom I hold an immense amount of trust and respect for. It would be difficult to find a more empathetic and compassionate person for the job. I am also confident that with him at the helm, the women and minorities on the team will continue to have a strong voice, and that we will continue our efforts in finding even more valuable voices to add to the team in the future. I look forward to continuing to work closely with you. Good luck, you have our support!

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We forgive you, king
giphy.gif

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It was a long time ago. People should be allowed to better themselves. So you will get no judgement from me.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Nah - I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.