• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War
latest

Resistance
Resistance-RetributionPSPNACover.jpg

Syphon Filter
Syphon_Filter_Logan%27s_Shadow_NA_version_front_cover.jpg

Killzone
KZLBoxArt.jpg

Daxter
Daxter_with_rating.jpg

Needless to say, the psp's limited hardware served as a jettison for devs to take some of sony's most well-received IP's into some interesting new directions. But the question is: Looking back, did this pay off?

I personally loved Logan's Shadow and Daxter (Hey! I Really wanted to know what daxter was doing in-between Jak 1 and 2 so call me weak)

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
The only PSP game I've put a substantial amount of time into was Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep.
Considering that's widely regarded as one of the best games in the series, especially among the handheld titles, I'd say it was handled fairly well.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
God of War Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparda were phenomenal entries in the God of War series and perfect portable iterations. Still love them.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, oh yes. PSP was amazing and sony treated it really well.
I know metal gear isn't sony per se but peace walker is my favorite metal gear.
God of war : ghost of sparta is also my favorite god of war.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
155687-Ace_Combat_X_-_Skies_of_Deception_(USA)-1.jpg

In addition to the games in the OP, this one was also quite good. A fully featured Ace Combat game on the go. Had so much content.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
There was Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters but I honestly can't remember anything about that, it was generic and very short.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
For a time, PSP kept Wipeout alive with a couple of really wonderful titles. I can't say I played every PSP entry to a franchise I enjoyed, but that one was definitely well cared for on the system.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the franchises you mentioned OP, but personnally I'm quite happy with how they managed Final Fantasy (Crisis Core and Dissidia), Gundam (SD Gundam G Generation, Vs series, and Memories), Macross (Triangle Frontier is the best Macross game to date), Dragon Ball Z...

I really like my PSP (2000), I think it's the sexiest handheld ever (opinion on yhe Switch pending).

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
They did a great job on the PSP, it had a pretty beast library TBH. Almost all of their big series got a game, and they even made new exclusive series catered to the system's strengths. Imagine if they'd actually put that level of effort into the Vita..

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Largely, yes. The titles OP mentioned were worthy entries to their respective franchises and arguably even better than some entries.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
As a fan of the God of War series and not owning a PSP, I only played Collection Origins, I was impressed by the quality of the games.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the PSP felt like pretty much the only time we've had bona fide Western support for a handheld (with the possible upcoming exception of the Switch), especially with a lot of the first-party stuff.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved God of War: Chains of Olympus. Got stupidly addicted to collecting cars in Gran Turismo. Wipeout on PSP was great. Ratchet and Clank had horrid camera controls. Didn't care for Daxter. Resistance was alright, but I'm not much of a Resistance person to begin with. LBP and ModNation Racers sucked.

It was a moxed bag.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
I love Metal Gear Acid. Not as big a fan of Peace Walker, mainly due to its control limitations on PSP.
The PaRappa port has a bit of timing weirdness that isn't in the PS1 version.
Crisis Core is pretty awesome.

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think Sony really did a great job with supporting the PSP (much better than the Vita IMO).

Not only them, but so many other franchises were just amazing on it, and it had so many other cool games and collections we haven't seen since.

Definitely one of my favorite systems. (I still have a 3000 model sealed in case my 2000 dies).

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Metal Gear Acid. Not as big a fan of Peace Walker, mainly due to its control limitations on PSP.
The PaRappa port has a bit of timing weirdness that isn't in the PS1 version.
Crisis Core is pretty awesome.

Peace Walker controls very well on the PSP, as Kojima and co. streamlined the control scheme (crawling was removed for good controls). You get used to aiming with the face buttons pretty quick.

It's a huge improvement over the controls from Portable Ops, which are just terrible. They ported MGS3's clunky control scheme on a system that has one analog stick.

Last edited:

Xiyng

Oct 31, 2017
For how well the console did, I feel Sony's support for it was excellent. It could have been better but given its, in a sense, limited success, I don't think expecting better support would really have been fair.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
If your favorite franchise is God of War then yes. If your answer is any other franchise then no.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Resistance was absolute trash but everything else was quite good.

I must disagree, Resistance: Retribution was extremely well done. Maybe you're thinking of the Vita game, which was not well received.

I think Sony did a great job with most of their franchises that they brought to Vita. Besides the games mentioned in the original post, Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse were both awesome entries that revitalized the series, and MotorStorm: Arctic Edge was another top-notch effort.

Soulblazer

Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Don't forget the two Ridge Racers. Especially Ridge Racers 2. That game had so much content. Which makes the vita Ridge Racer look so poor in comparison...

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Twisted Metal was a riot on PSP, namely due to the co-op campaign mode.

I loved getting that at launch and played it regularly throughout that portable's lifespan.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I must disagree, Resistance: Retribution was extremely well done. Maybe you're thinking of the Vita game, which was not well received.

I think Sony did a great job with most of their franchises that they brought to Vita. Besides the games mentioned in the original post, Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse were both awesome entries that revitalized the series, and MotorStorm: Arctic Edge was another top-notch effort.
nah both are trash

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes, I feel like Sony and third party developers did a really good job. I never understood the general sentiment that PSP games were watered down versions of console games. The games were pure bliss even if the levels/stages/worlds were smaller to fit handheld gaming.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
PSP was great. So many good titles. Played the 2 GOW games, the Jak and Daxter game, Killzone Liberation, Dark Mirror, Resistance Retribution, and a bunch of other non-Sony titles (Crisis Core and PEACE WALKER!).

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
PSP was a BEAST. Crisis Core and Birth by Sleep blew me away graphically. I could not believe I was playing those on a handheld system. It helps that the actual games were great, too, especially BbS, which might just be the best KH game so far.

Daxter is excellent as well. A worthy addition to the Jak series that felt like it even took back a little of the whimsy and magic of the first game, along with more focus on platforming again.

Peace Walker was pretty good, but I will always defend Portable Ops as the better game. Young Roy Campbell, a better story, no out-of-era tech, more Metal Gear-y atmosphere, no bullet sponge bosses. The moment to moment gameplay of PW was a bit more fun, but the game had too many lows to be as good as PO... in my opinion. Either way they were both fun games and both on PSP, so

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters but I honestly can't remember anything about that, it was generic and very short.
It did one thing that no other Ratchet game has done... it allowed you to mix different pieces of armor and it actually changed your abilities... that alone made it awesome. How i hope they'd use that on a console Ratchet game.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue they did a much better job with the PSP than with the Vita. Most of their franchise titles on PSP came out solid - whether they sold critically is another question.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
I think about those God of War games from time to time and still can't beleive I played them on my psp.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
Peace Walker controls very well on the PSP, as Kojima and co. streamlined the control scheme (crawling was removed for good controls). You get used to aiming with the face buttons pretty quick.

It's a huge improvement over the controls from Portable Ops, which are just terrible. They ported MGS3's clunky control scheme on a system that has one analog stick.
I 100%ed PW. Never got used to the controls. I also had my issues with the level design, especially the Zadornov missions. Co-Op was fun though.

Would have preferred a PS3 only PW with proper cutscenes and no compartmentalized levels, especially since PW was originally supposed to be MGS5. It's just such a weird decision to put a proper mainline title on a handheld.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
PSP was a BEAST. Crisis Core and Birth by Sleep blew me away graphically. I could not believe I was playing those on a handheld system. It helps that the actual games were great, too, especially BbS, which might just be the best KH game so far.

Daxter is excellent as well. A worthy addition to the Jak series that felt like it even took back a little of the whimsy and magic of the first game, along with more focus on platforming again.

Peace Walker was pretty good, but I will always defend Portable Ops as the better game. Young Roy Campbell, a better story, no out-of-era tech, more Metal Gear-y atmosphere, no bullet sponge bosses. The moment to moment gameplay of PW was a bit more fun, but the game had too many lows to be as good as PO... in my opinion. Either way they were both fun games and both on PSP, so

Playing FF Type-0 on PS4, I actually amazed that it's originally a PSP titles. It could easily mistaken for a PS2 game.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kaz Miller>>>> Roy Campbell. It would have made a lot more sense if Kaz replaced the Campbell role in PO.

The bosses in PO were awful attempts of MGS boss fights on a system which is really not built for it. Really horrid A.I. as well. PW has those annoying tank battles, but the A.I. mech fights are lots of fun and grand in scale.

You could argue PO has a better story, but the fact that there's no voiced dialogue outside of cutscenes is a huge turn off for me. It's weird getting codec calls and just reading boring text. PW had voiced codec calls and hours of tapes to enhance the characters and story.