• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
- The over-reliance on the astral plane was too much. I love fighting, but I like fighting in a backdrop that I care about. The majority of the gameplay being spent in the astral plane made me sour on the whole game. I at least expected more variation inside the plane itself but no dice. I liked the puzzles, I liked thinking up of new ways of traversal but it was most of the time linear. At the end of the day it felt like too much platforming but the platforming was too gamey instead of feeling organic.

This actually killed the game for me. I bought it on day one and liked it but once I realized that you would return to the same damn place every time with the same general layout and looks (instead of fighting in the more interesting "real world"). I hate when assets and mechanics are reused this way, they cheapen the experience.

I also didn't like BOTW shrines cause they all looked the same.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
My main problem was the combat felt like it had very little depth to it. Sure there were stats galore but the actual execution just felt like press ZR until you can press ZL.
That's really all that kept me from finishing it.
This echoes my thoughts. For how complex the controls are there just isn't much depth to the actual combat itself.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Glad to see others have the same feelings. Thought I would enjoy it much more. Still finished it At least.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't finished it. One of the very few Platinum games title I haven't.

I really love the style and uniqueness of the combat system, but it has amongst the worst readibility of any character action game I've ever played. Every scene is a neon diarrhoea mess with horrible visibility of just who is doing what and where. Which is really odd, as I find Platinum to be amongst the best at cleanly conveying attacks, hits, etc. Astral Chain is a nightmare blur of neon, bloom, and digital effects.

I also think the pacing is awful. I really love the idea of missions being a combination of action sequences and semi open hubs. But so much of the content just isn't fun or interesting and more of a chore to me. I'll get back to it eventually but I wound up pretty damn disappointed. It's well near the bottom of my Platinum games ranking.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dang what timing. I just bought this for my bf because I know he was interested. Well I hope he likes it!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Dang what timing. I just bought this for my bf because I know he was interested. Well I hope he likes it!

It reviewed well and a lot of people still like it, so naturally in this thread that is framed with disappointment you're mostly going to find people who were underwhelmed. Don't stress.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny. I agree with a lot of the flaws people point out about the game, but I honestly still loved the game. It's among my favorite Platinum games. But I do need to play Nier (I keep losing interest in the first two hours; I even restarted once because it had been so long since I played it that I wanted to redo it to keep the story fresh, but I ended up dropping it again).

I loved pretty much everything about the combat. I liked all the simple questing and even the red matter cleanup was inoffensive to me. The stealth missions were unfair at times, but in I ironically enjoyed how hard the game tried to fuck me over in that regard (seriously, having a random NPC run over broken glass, making enough noise to make the suspect turn around and spot you is just over the top).

I guess the flaws that really stuck out to me were the Astral Plane, lack of custom clothing (seriously, I thought with the way the wardrobe works that we'd end up with many more options than what we got), and the silent protagonist. I actually don't mind silent protagonists for the most part, but this one was just jarring since both twins have equally talented voice actors.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I can't in earnest call it overrated because it's a solid game on a technical level especially, and in the moment it plays well. It didn't end up above 90, it ended on 85 and that's pretty precise for me. No, I don't love it, but it is a very well made game with some design trends in it that holds it back from feeling like a 'genius' game.