• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Savi's Workshop was a store located in Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu. It was operated in secret by Savi and the Gatherers, a group of Jedi admirers who hoped to bring balance to the Force by teaching people the ways of the Jedi Order and helping them create their own custom lightsabers. Because the First Order occupiers of Batuu were not fond of the group's ideals, the store was operated in secret, with Savi & Son Salvage being the name advertised to the public.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Isn't creating a lightsaber supposed to be a very emotionally and spiritually driven experience? Or was that old canon? I could have sworn that making a lightsaber was a little more difficult than just plopping a crystal into a small metal shaft. And I also could have sworn that kyber crystals were extremely rare.

The point is, if this shop is indeed canon, it raises a whole lot of questions in regards to how the hell it fits into the rest of the canon, LOL.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the only thing I will headcanon out of existence since it's just done so people can buy Lightsabers in Galaxy's Edge without just getting them some a souvenirs shop.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This is the only thing I will headcanon out of existence since it's just done so people can buy Lightsabers in Galaxy's Edge without just getting them some a souvenirs shop.

Basically. Something tells me it will basically never be mentioned outside it's own Galaxy's Edge books.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Light sabers aren't Harry Potter wands.

I believe Lightsabers are to be crafted by the Jedi/Sith themselve and adding their own style to it to fit the wielder, it's supposed to be a thing do when completing your training and it being a special moment, like finally getting your lightsaber in the KOTOR games.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Watching these videos are just hyping me up for my Galaxy's Edge trip. Plan on building a saber and buying at least 3 legacy hilts (Rey, Luke, Vader) and whatever crystals they will let me buy.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They didn't have to bend Star Wars canon around a fucking gimmick theme park. You can have the theme park without making it canon.

I hate this shit.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a little lore for a theme park experience. I wouldn't put anymore stock into it besides just having fun while you're there.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't kyber crystals supposed to be super rare? Hence why Kylo is still using his busted ass crystal.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't creating a lightsaber supposed to be a very emotionally and spiritually driven experience? Or was that old canon? I could have sworn that making a lightsaber was a little more difficult than just plopping a crystal into a small metal shaft. And I also could have sworn that kyber crystals were extremely rare.

The point is, if this shop is indeed canon, it raises a whole lot of questions in regards to how the hell it fits into the rest of the canon, LOL.
It's the same in the new canon there's a whole ritual and process in one of the clone wars episode that features some little padawan trying to earn them.

This is obviously a dumb gimmick for a shop and honestly I bet no one mentions it

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even the Wookiepedia article linked in the OP clearly marks it as Legends (same as the old EU). It's not canon. L. O. L.

edit: yeah I know it's in "canon" comics, I'm saying no one accepts this as canon if Wookieepedia straight up labels the place as Legends.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Vertical integration comes to the Star Wars universe. They own the mines, the shops - direct distribution straight to force sensitive people.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Dont the crystals have sentience? Kind of a weird implication here... then again I guess slavery is pretty common in SW

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same in the new canon there's a whole ritual and process in one of the clone wars episode that features some little padawan trying to earn them.

This is obviously a dumb gimmick for a shop and honestly I bet no one mentions it

Disney: Order this idea to series for 20 million an episode.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone who has read the book/comics maybe weigh in on how the place is treated in those? I'm genuinely curious.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Kylo also hangs out on Batuu and takes pictures with lines of tourists.

They created fluff to explain the park, it doesn't really mean anything.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wookiepedia considers it Legends

So it doesn't exist except as flavor text

I mean I know about Wookieepedia calling it Legends I'm the one who you responded to before. ;).

What I was getting at is the article is specifically about the Gift Shop in The Real World and I'm wondering if the location as referenced in the comics/book attempts some bs parity with that.

Good to know it's only referenced as flavor text tho, it's pretty clear even Lucasfilm isn't trying to make that canon and everyone really truly is just flipping out for no reason.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Yeah, this won't be mentionned anywhere else this specific shop. It's just some light background stuff to disguise the shop as an "experience" but I doubt it will get linked to the movie or the general canon.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, this won't be mentionned anywhere else this specific shop. It's just some light background stuff to disguise the shop as an "experience" but I doubt it will get linked to the movie or the general canon.

Well there is a whole book dedicated to the park's storyline. There's a character they created for the park and there is a storyline to explain the whole thing and even the rides, but yea it's not gonna mean a whole lot to anything in the lore.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Even the Wookiepedia article linked in the OP clearly marks it as Legends (same as the old EU). It's not canon. L. O. L.

edit: yeah I know it's in "canon" comics, I'm saying no one accepts this as canon if Wookieepedia straight up labels the place as Legends.
Wookiepedia considers it Legends

So it doesn't exist except as flavor text

Huh? On My PC , it's marked as CANON.

This Book is a Direct Prequel to the Park Story

K46Pxrx.jpg

Its end with Kylo Ren comes to Black Spire

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

Did you watch the video? They talk about how important the ritual is to the force and how the lightsaber is a great relic that can be used as a symbol for hope in troubled times.

I have a few friends who work at this experience and they say it's pretty common for people to cry during it. They make it really emotional when building your saber.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch the video? They talk about how important the ritual is to the force and how the lightsaber is a great relic that can be used as a symbol for hope in troubled times.

I have a few friends who work at this experience and they say it's pretty common for people to cry during it. They make it really emotional when building your saber.

oh ffs

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So Jedi/Sith that make their own lightsaber are just part of the DIY culture, basically.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
..........ok

Must be some experience

It's a 15-20 minute experience where you initially walk in and are greeted by one the gatherers who explains the story behind the lightsaber and the importance of it. You then go piece by piece as they talk about the different styles and what each style means to the Jedi or Sith. The whole experience is timed with lights and music. At the end where you activate the lightsaber the music swells as you initiate your bond.

They make it a very intimate experience. There's only a few other people in the room with you and you can only bring one of your party members in with. It's $200 yes, but the experience and the completely personalized lightsaber makes up for it.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a 15-20 minute experience where you initially walk in and are greeted by one the gatherers who explains the story behind the lightsaber and the importance of it. You then go piece by piece as they talk about the different styles and what each style means to the Jedi or Sith. The whole experience is timed with lights and music. At the end where you activate the lightsaber the music swells as you initiate your bond.

They make it a very intimate experience. There's only a few other people in the room with you and you can only bring one of your party members in with. It's $200 yes, but the experience and the completely personalized lightsaber makes up for it.

I'm sure it's very nice but ...I mean it's just a toy isn't it? Don't get me wrong...I am a nerd too but this just seems like build-a-bear for grown-ass neckbeards. Alan Moore was right.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
That's literally the setup for Jedi Academy. The MC made a lightsaber without any sort of Jedi training or knowledge.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I built my lightsaber 3 weeks ago. It was a great experience. I'm going back when the new ride comes out and I'm going to buy some more kyber crystals for my lightsaber. Currently, I have the dark side hilt with green blade.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure it's very nice but ...I mean it's just a toy isn't it? Don't get me wrong...I am a nerd too but this just seems like build-a-bear for grown-ass neckbeards. Alan Moore was right.

The lightsabers are extremely well-made and are pretty much solid metal other than the blade portion. I haven't made one but did buy a charecter hilt and that was too heavy to lug around all day. It is more for collectors or to display. It's too heavy to be swung around by a kid all day.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Merchandising has been a part of Star Wars basically since it's inception so making a real world store part of the fictional canon feels weirdly fitting, actually.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I built mine on Friday. It was a waste of money but a phenomenal bonding experience with my dad. He and I were giddy the entire night after. Don't regret it at all

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not really a need to be upset about this.

I thought Galaxy's Edge went above and beyond and trying to create a narrative explanation for just about everything - despite obviously being a Star Wars theme park (theme area?) grounded in real life.

In context, you are building a lightsaber "in secret" to keep a tradition alive. It is presented as an incredibly intimate ceremony, full of reverence for the Force and its practitioners. You are not canonized as a Jedi, but it is done in a way where a young child could totally believe they've been empowered to be one in their own head canon. For everyone else it is just respectful fanservice/tribute.

Even if I was a nobody in the Star Wars universe (with some cash to burn) I can imagine the appeal of an experience like this, and giving my money to a good natured rebel trying to keep a tradition alive. Real people have paid more money for less interesting collector shit, so I guess I don't understand what is so unbelievable about doing it in a fantasy setting.